George Russell
8%
Kimi Räikkönen
92%

Total votes: 37

Londoner

Reject of the Race - Portugal 2021 POLL

Post by Londoner »

1. Kimi Raikkonen. A 20-year racing veteran apparently confused by the novel concept of "slipstreaming". Bonus points for hitting his teammate. :facepalm:

2. Aston Martin. Looking more and more like the reincarnation of 2000 Jaguar.

Dishonourable mention to Nikita Mazepin, but this sort of nonsense is rapidly becoming expected of him.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Spooder918

Re: Reject of the Race - Portugal 2021

Post by Spooder918 »

1. Kimi Raikkonen: While I am a fan of him, you can't deny he just rammed into the back of his teammate and retired.

2. George Russell: The F1 incarnation of a literal brick. While we know the Williams is hard to drive when it's close to another car, he dropped faster than Kvyat getting kicked out in 2016-17.

Dishonorable mention to Mazepin, but he's the reject of the season.
that guy from '18 US GP wrote: NYOOOOOOOM
Jack Aitken!
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

1.- Kimi Raikkonen - Gimi pls
2.- Yuki Tsunoda - Where was he?
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

As much as I hate to say it, I think Kimi Räikkönen is the only choice here. The only retirement of the race after a clumsy mistake (which could also have ruined his team mate's race).
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

1. Kimi, for going for a gap that wasn't there.
  2. I had to think about this one for a while, but I'll go for Williams after coming home in 16th & 18th. Leaving Russell out for so long didn't help.

Dishonourable mention: David Croft, for thinking Alpine's pit crew were Williams. The team name was clearly visible on the screen. Yes, Brundle also made that mistake, but it's fun to take it out on the Michael Cole of F1.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Kimi Raikkonen: A ridiculous early exit from a race with low attrition overall.

2) Yuki Tsunoda: Well down on his teammate; disappointing showing after a bright opening to the season in Bahrain.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
dj_vicious

Post by dj_vicious »

It appears I didn't submit my reply properly, so here's my abridged version

1. Raikkonen -Clashed with his team mate on a straight sending him to retirement.

2. Mazepin -Penalty for ignoring blue flags, cut off Perez rather aggressively, over a minute adrift of the next car up.

DHM: The 'RED BULL HAS FASTEST CAR' fans who continue to permeate the forums with while Mercedes have clearly shown they are the car to beat.
_gg_

Post by _gg_ »

What Kimi did was absolutely mind-blowing. An embarrassing way to retire from the race. Also... Mazepin for being himself.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Kimi, obviously.
tBone

Post by tBone »

Kimi Raikkonen deserves it for obvious reasons.

But I'd also like to give a negative shoutout to the social media action to vote Mazepin DOTD. I truly don't understand why folks wanted to ensure an extra bit of attention for the guy and to display his father's logos once more.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

One very Obvious winner for me

HM- Sky Commentary team- Both Croft and Brundle on more than one occasion mixed up the Willams and the Alpines. They didn't even look THAT similar so to mix them up was a joke.

HM- George Russell- Dropped down the field quicker than a stone and at one point was being beaten by his teammate on pure pace. Another poor Sunday.

HM- Maizspin- Yes him again. Apparently, f1 needed to 'correct' the driver of the day vote because he 'won' it by miles. Even so, he managed to get a 5-second penalty for ignoring blue flags (what a surprise), and even without that would have finished a minute behind his teammate. Lucky daddy has very deep pockets

HM- Red Bull Strategy- Leaving Perez out could have worked. If it had worked they would have looked like heroes. Instead, they looked like fools. Well, not as bad as others.

2nd- Aston Martin- A bedtime story. Look up Stewart 1999 and then Jaguar 2000. Now, look up racing point 2020 and Aston Martin 2021. Adding a certain shade of green adds fat, not muscle. No Pace and no points again for Vettel.

1st- Kimi Raikkonen- Talking of Bedtimes. Oh Kimi. Such a rookie error and straight into his teammate too. he was lucky not to take Gio out of the race too. Another poor weekend from the Iceman.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Chrisdude

Post by Chrisdude »

2. Aston Martin - Came away with a big fat zero points and both cars finished behind Giovinazzi

1. Kimi - Flying in the face of golden rules number one and two simultaneously; DO look where the flip you're going, and DON'T crash into your teammate.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Another DHM for the Sky commentary team - Nico Rosberg's mask. It looked far too big for his face to the point that he was having to lift it back over his nose again every few seconds!

Oh and Kimi for THAT error.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
koshiro

Post by koshiro »

1 - Kimi: Totally inexplicable mistake, and involving his teammate to make it worse.
2 - Mazepin: 1 minute behind his teammate! And almost ruined Perez's race when he was lapped. And the worst thing, he broke his spin streak on race day...

Honorable mentions:
- Racing Point: Out of the points, terrible pace.
- Tsunoda: He is regressing as the season progresses. It's sad, but his hype is deflating quickly.
- Sainz: Disappointing Sunday after his great qualifying.
- Ricciardo: He rescued two points in the end, but overall a poor weekend for the Australian.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Kimi Raikkonen - Driver with the most GP entries ever crashes into team-mate while splistream and says he was doing stuff with the wheel. Oh boy.

2. Williams - Russell's car seems to be setup for qualifying only and Latifi got beat by a Haas.

Honorable mention to Mazepin, for being terrible again, and for the terrible strategy call by Red Bull to extend Pérez stint until oblivion.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I understand the nominations for Kimi. But George Russell is my primary nomination. After running in the points in Imola prior to that crash, then qualifying so well, his race left me disappointed.

And also, I fell asleep on lap 27 and woke again on lap 47. I could still follow what was happening, I hadn't felt like I missed anything. I was even able to work out myself that Perez was only in the lead due to pit strategy. The race was that predictable and dull.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Londoner wrote:1. Kimi Raikkonen. A 20-year racing veteran apparently confused by the novel concept of "slipstreaming". Bonus points for hitting his teammate. :facepalm: .

This ^ Must be the effect of being teammates with Vettel all those years, an established driver making rookie errors.

Mazepin: Was a minute behind his teammate, then got in the way of leader Perez and almost got into a collision with him. Has ROTY almost sewn up, (If the FIA don't yank his superlicence before then)
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Pacific Edge wrote:(If the FIA don't yank his superlicence before then)

I think that getting your SL revoked by the FIA should be automatic RotY.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Kimi for the stupid crash, or Ferrari for whatever they did with Sainz' strategy that landed him 11th.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

1) Kimi Raikkonen. Agree with the others, pretty amateurish going took him out of the race. Almost ruined his teammate's race too, Antonio was lucky to get away with little damage.

2) Carlos Sainz Jr. Fell apart at the very end, falling out of the points in a car that isn't a struggle pace-wise this year.

(Dis)honourable Mentions:
The race itself (Pretty boring, at least it had overtakes)
Aston Martin (Not a convincing showing for the midfield battle)
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
SammiRei

Post by SammiRei »

I'm going with the crowd on this one.
Worst place easily goes to Kimi Raikkonen: The most senior driver in the field making the kind of mistake you'd expect to see by the most junior.
Runner up for Nikita Mazepin: Being a minute behind your teammate, even with an extra stop is never a good sign, and nearly ruining Perez's race was icing on the cake.

DHM: The race as a whole, The first two races gave me hope that we'd be back to F1 races actually being interesting again. False alarm.
mario

Post by mario »

Londoner wrote:1. Kimi Raikkonen. A 20-year racing veteran apparently confused by the novel concept of "slipstreaming". Bonus points for hitting his teammate. :facepalm:

Not only was the move itself rather embarrassing, since it seems he was distracted by changing a setting on his wheel, it was also rejectful for the fact he could have so easily managed to take his team mate out of the race in a silly way - especially since Giovinazzi did put in a fairly decent performance in the race too.

Mazepin, too, only really attracted attention for the wrong reasons - OK, the gap was exaggerated by making an additional pit stop, but even before that his pace compared to Mick was terrible (and had been the entire weekend), with the near miss on Perez capping that off (on top of the allegations of deliberate blocking in qualifying too).

As noted by a few others, Sainz definitely deserves a mention though - his qualifying performance was good, and the first part of the race was decent, but he just went backwards in the latter part of the race. It might have worked out better if Ferrari put him on the hards, which seemed to work more effectively - but both Norris and Gasly managed similar length stints on the mediums as well.

Tsunoda was a disappointment too - a ragged weekend, and he ended up quite a long way behind the tail end of the midfield as well (over 17s off by the end).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Francophone

Post by Francophone »

Kimi Raikonnen - Having watched one of the historic Monaco races , where Jean Alesi got rear-ended by Marco Werner , I didn't think I'd see a current driver repeat the same trick the following weekend , and do so to his team-mate. I know these F1 steering wheels are like mini-computers with so many switches , but there's a time and a place...

Williams - It was looking so good on Saturday wasn't it?.. I hope Dorilton have some development money so they can fix their aero sensitivity somewhat as it's killing them in the races , but with '22 on the horizon I doubt it. Really painful - especially given they have the talents of George Russell at the helm.

DHMs : Mazepin (another demonstration of how he's a total waste of an f1 seat , apart from the roubles he has...) , Pirelli ("medium" tyres should not last 50+ laps out of 66 , even if they are driven by Checo) , JaguarAston Martin - They backed the wrong horse in terms of this year's regulations , and unlike Mercedes don't seem to be getting on top of it. I'd forgive them if they didn't spend so much effort bigging themselves up pretending they were anything other than Force India , or Racing Point , or even Jordan.
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

1. Kimi Raikkonen - That's the moment when you think this guy is too old to be in F1 anymore. If this happened to Mazepin, he'd be crushed by everyone. To make matters worst, he actually run into his teammate of all people.

2. George Russell - Talked about scoring points after qual and got used as punchbag immediately after the restart. He was too far removed from Top 10 pace-wise than in most races last year. How about scoring a point for Williams first and save the talk for later?

3. Ferrari tyre strategy - how on Earth did Sainz fall out of the points at the end?
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
Batty

Post by Batty »

Kimi Raikkonen - It's pretty straightforward why. I thought maybe he got swiped or his front wing failed. Nope! He just crashed into his teammate on the straights.
IceG

Post by IceG »

(i) Bottas - a top driver in a top car in pole position. Yet he never looked like he was going to win or even be capable of challenging Verstappen for second. It was this race that sealed his fate.

(ii) Russell - a top driver in a dreadful car. Yet he looked like he was using his undoubted talents to make up for the deficiencies. Looked like he needed another year in a middling team before being ready for Mercedes.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

A slam dunk for KR7 I’m afraid.

1: He was the only DNF
2: It was because he forgot about the basics of slipstreaming
3: He snowploughed into his team-mate

Yeah that’s ROTR material if I ever saw it

Aston Martin for as mentioned above trying to be Jaguar 2000 reincarnated and Rach summed it up brilliantly that the parallels between them are amazingly similar

And I can’t believe he’s not had more nominations or mentions but Bottas once again confirmed he belongs in the Coulthard/Barrichello/Webber realm of good driver in an amazing car. Good on his day but that’s only 3/20 races a season. He’s got that horrible combination of being easy to pass when Defending and being a driver that others in inferior cars feel they can keep behind when he’s attacking.

The way this season is going I genuinely can’t see Bottas winning a race on merit.

Mazepin is obvious but he’s clearly going for ROTY

I know I’m not following the usual template but I like this discussion style instead.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

1. Kimi. It's all been said.
2. Botthas. Someone please give me a good reason why Mercedes keep renewing his contract?
DHM. Anyone who believed for a minute that Lewis wasn't gonna cruise to another championship.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Spectoremg wrote:2. Botthas. Someone please give me a good reason why Mercedes keep renewing his contract?
Unfortunately Lewis Hamilton. I think, as long as Hamilton stays, Bottas stays.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Thinking further, Aston Martin are a good shout. Aside from nil points and a lap down, they gave the new upgraded parts to the owner's son instead of the quadruple WDC they signed. I appreciate Stroll has more about him than the average pay driver, but you think Vettel might give them better feedback on whether the parts are working or not.

And then Vettel beat Stroll anyway.

Kimi is probably going to win the vote by miles though. Justifiably.
Francophone

Post by Francophone »

Rob Dylan wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:2. Botthas. Someone please give me a good reason why Mercedes keep renewing his contract?

Hope not - he's had a fair crack of the whip now at Mercedes for a few years and there's now George Russell who is younger , and arguably at least as fast is Sakhir is anything to go by. This should be his last year at Merc unless Hamilton retires at the end of the season.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Can only be Raikkonen. Nice change of pace though, having seen two rookies win the award this season it makes a nice change to see the man with more starts than God be a shoo-in for it this weekend
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

Spectoremg wrote:1. Kimi. It's all been said.
2. Botthas. Someone please give me a good reason why Mercedes keep renewing his contract?
DHM. Anyone who believed for a minute that Lewis wasn't gonna cruise to another championship.

Rob Dylan wrote:

Bottas got renewed because he was more reliable than Red Bull #2 drivers (Gasly, Albon) and didn't cost Mercedes the constructors title. If Perez becomes a podium threat every weekend and Verstappen wins more races then Bottas might find himself as the driver #4 in the Merc/RBR combo and that is when he gets kicked out. Even Hamilton won't force to keep him around if Bottas mistakes/poor performance cost Mercedes the WCC.
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

1. Kimi....easily done, but ..easily avoided
2. Williams - very disappointing pace on Sunday
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Rob Dylan

Re: Reject of the Race - Portugal 2021 POLL

Post by Rob Dylan »

And the poll is up! With a more straight-forward race, there are a straight-forward list of three candidates to choose from. Get voting, you have 48 hours before the results are decided :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Was going to vote for Aston Martin, but then seeing as Kimi had 100% of the vote, I decided not to ruin such a beautiful thing and voted for him.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Enforcer wrote:Was going to vote for Aston Martin, but then seeing as Kimi had 100% of the vote, I decided not to ruin such a beautiful thing and voted for him.
This might be the earliest I start writing the article ;)
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

We've got a winner for ROTR, which you can find out here!
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l