Chris Craft 1939-2021

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
dinizintheoven

Chris Craft 1939-2021

Post by dinizintheoven »

So far the only confirmation of the death of Chris Craft is oldracingcars.com where it said he'd "died after a period of ill health".

He wasn't someone I knew much about - but he had two entries in the North American races at the end of 1971 in a privately-entered Brabham. He missed the cut in qualifying in Canada and retired in the USA, thus giving him the same rejectful F1 career stats as Tiff Needell. He may be better known for starting the Light Car Company, which built the Gordon Murray-designed Rocket - which I'm half-sure Tiff drove on Old Top Gear and approved of massively.

If anyone wants to fill in any more details, you may do so.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Rob Dylan

Re: Chris Craft 1939-2021

Post by Rob Dylan »

The only thing I could find out about him was that his only race start was François Cevert's only win at the 71 US GP.

Rest in Peace - I feel like there's been quite a number of deceased former drivers in the last few years. Perhaps it's natural as the oldest drivers are all in their 80s and 90s at this point. Even with one start to his name, Craft got further than most.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Bleu

Re: Chris Craft 1939-2021

Post by Bleu »

Rob Dylan wrote:Rest in Peace - I feel like there's been quite a number of deceased former drivers in the last few years. Perhaps it's natural as the oldest drivers are all in their 80s and 90s at this point. Even with one start to his name, Craft got further than most.

In older days there were much more drivers since lots of privateers took part.

Here's how my data has information about living drivers compared to drivers who took part. 1950-60 Indy 500 inflates those numbers much.