The pre-F1RWRS/ARWS career of Douglas Mann

Archive for the three above subforums
dr-baker

Re: Yet another fictional computer game career - Douglas Man

Post by dr-baker »

Thursday 13th September 2007, Craftsman Trucks, New Hampshire, Sylvania 200, qualifying, round 18/25

So this was to be the first of a few-off in this series. Douglas would have had this weekend off if it weren't for this race, so this will keep him out of trouble (or else get into trouble...). But it is at the scene of an upcoming Whelen Modified race on 24th October so it might be considered a warm-up, depending how much time travelling he may or may not do in the meantime (assuming that his career is not chronical?). Anyway, his first time in the truck since November 2006 (the 1st time in 10 months, assuming that his career is actually chronical...) saw him qualify 4th, with the first of his two laps proving to be the faster.

Saturday 15th September 2007, Craftsman Trucks, New Hampshire, Sylvania 200, race, round 18/25, 50 laps

Douglas had a good start, pulling away from the pack. Eventually though, as his tyres starting wearing down, he started losing time. But then disaster struck on lap 24. He was already aware from his guages that a one-stop strategy was going to be tight here, but it was at the start of the back straight that he ran out of fuel! He managed to coast back to the pits, losing about 9 seconds to the leader (there or thereabouts). But of course, being a lap short of half-distance, he was going to need to pit again, while the others would not... Unless a full-course yellow was to occur? A few laps after pitting, Douglas's chance came! A car had coasted to a halt parallel to the pits, which indeed brought out the safety car! A free pit stop just past half-distance, plus a few laps of reduced wear (I think this is programmed into the game!) should see Douglas through to the end of the race. Douglas had already made back to about 30th out of 36 at this point. The race restarted with Douglas a lap down in 33rd on lap 31. There were a number of others lapped too, so by lap 37 or so, Douglas made it up to 18th, when, exiting a bend, he made up onto his two left-hand wheels. As the truck landed back onto all 4 wheels, he clashed with a couple of other trucks and saw the pace car come out again. The race restarted on Douglas's 42nd lap, and made it up to 15th by the end of the race, the lead lapped runner. And Douglas was only about a second behind the leader across the line. But, as stated earlier, Douglas was only in this for the money... Talking of which:

Earnings

Code: Select all

Salary      $    9,680
Winnings    $    1,216
Merchandise $    2,095
New Total   $1,116,047

This race saw Douglas score 128 points in the Craftsman Truck championship, placing him 45th and last. The guy in 44th is J.J. Shipps, on 874 points. So there is little chance of any progress. It'll just be prestige and money! Douglas has also been entered into a Craftsman Truck charity event on Monday 17th September 2007 at Phoenix, and some guy called Glenn Tingen challenged Douglas to a Showdown in Nextel Cup cars the following Monday.

Monday 17th September 2007, Craftsman Trucks, Phoenix, 25-lap charity race.

Douglas was sure that when he did these charity events before , last season, there were normally 10 entrants? This time, there were just 4. How was that going to raise money for charity? Particularly when it quickly only became a two-horse race... But on lap 9, a pace car came out as Douglas and the leader clashed. This had the benefit of bringing all four Trucks close together again for the rest of the race. And although Douglas remained in fourth for the remainder of the race, Douglas hoped that they had put on a show for the fans and that good money had been raised for whatever charity it was in aid of... And now there was another charity race on the same day as his Showdown against the unknown Glenn Tingen. It was at Homestead-Miami, a track where Douglas would be competing at the end of the year. And it was a 50-lap race. So guess what Douglas was deciding to do... But before then, he has a Whelen Modified race AND an NBS race!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wednesday 19th September 2007, Whelen Modifieds, Old Spice track, Cherry Blossom 100, 16-lap race

Being a track with both right- and left-hand turns suited Douglas. Pole was easy, as was the race. The field became quite spread-out throughout the race, to the point that Douglas almost lapped someone by the end of the 16-lap race. And most of the race, Douglas maintained a 2 to 3 second lead, which reduced to 1/2 second by the end (was Douglas being held up by the guy not wanting to be lapped? Who knows?).

Earnings

Salary      $    7,200
Winnings    $    2,981
Merchandise $      447
New Total   $1,126,675

Whelen Modifieds Championship positions

1st Douglas Mann     2204 pts 
2nd Rodney Clay      2068 pts -136
3rd Travis Haley     1996 pts -208
4th Lyle White       1921 pts -283
5th Marvin Humphreys 1844 pts -360

And now, not only does Douglas have both a charity race and a Showdown the following Monday, but also another Charity race the following Tuesday too, at Las Vegas... He might just not bother with all these commitments and concentrate on the championship races. It was getting a bit ridiculous.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Thursday 20th September 2007, NBS, Dover 200, qualifying, round 29/35

There was both a Truck and an NBS round on this weekend. No prizes for guessing which race needed to be entered... And entering this qualifying seesion paid off. Douglas always prefers to start either first or last, and if he had not entered, he would have got one of those two options. But as it is, he got... POLE!!!

Saturday 22nd September 2007, NBS, Dover 200, race, round 29/35, 50 laps

Oh dear. The race started so well... Douglas led the first 24 laps. Battled on lap 25 and pitted from 2nd on lap 26. Emerged from the pits in a gap in the mid-field. No problems for a few laps, but then contact with another car led to severe damage and a yellow flag. Although the car was OK to keep running at this point, it was in need of repair. The race restarted with Douglas in 41st/penultimate place. He was OK if nothing happened. But it did. Just a slight tap and the car was wrecked. A 42nd place classification.

Earnings

Salary      $   25,200
Winnings    $      510
Merchandise $      249
New Total   $1,165,311

NBS championship Positions

1st Tony Stewart   4304 pts
2nd Kenny Wallace  3896 pts -408
3rd Douglas Mann   3889 pts -415
4th Jimmie Johnson 3819 pts -485
5th J.J. Yeley     3606 pts -698

Tony Stewart seems to be extending his lead over both Kenny Wallace and Douglas Mann. Jimmie Johnson also seem to be catching this pair. Looks like Douglas cannot afford another DNF or bad race generally!
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just a quick, epic, bump, just to say that this is not actually dead yet, but that I am going to actually finish Douglas's 2007 season first before posting any more on here. When I do, would people prefer that I post each race in individual posts (I prefer this: easier to read, easier to find individual races, and breaks up the text a bit) or just post the rest of the season in one big block/a few large blocks?

If there's no preference/nobody says anything, I'll do what I please! :-) But it may be a couple of weeks before I'm done. Just a heads-up.
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

It would probably be better if you posted each race individually - odds are you'll probably hit the character limit anyway if you try and post it all in one.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Salamander wrote:It would probably be better if you posted each race individually - odds are you'll probably hit the character limit anyway if you try and post it all in one.

I didn't realise there was a character limit! But it may be a couple of weeks before this is updated. I tried last time to complete the season, but didn't quite happen. So I won't actually post until I have definitely completed the season this time. But with time on my hands...
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

OK, so here goes, the rest of Douglas Mann's 2007 season. Only 9000+ words to go, according to Word's word count...

Monday 24th September 2007

So it's a choice between a showdown with Matt Kenseth or a charity event at Homestead-Miami. There's another charity event tomorrow, but that's not going to influence which Douglas is going to compete in. Douglas has always gone well in showdowns (15 wins, 1 loss), more consistently than in the charity events, although charity events always look good on CVs. But with another charity event tomorrow, Douglas thought he would have the best of both worlds.

So it was...

Showdown, Nextel Cup, Speedway Boulevard, against Matt Kenseth, 3 laps

OK, so there appeared to be a bit of confusion who the challenge was against. The email that Douglas read in his inbox was from Matt Kenseth, but trackside, it may have been either Dale Jarrett or Glenn Tingen. Whoever it was, Douglas made a poor start and spent the first part of the first lap behind whoever it was. Time was lost over the dirt section, but that didn't stop Douglas taking a look to making a move around 3/4 round the lap. But it was round the penultimate corner that Douglas was able to make a move for the lead stick.

Lap 2 was relatively uneventful - time again was lost on the dirt section, but Douglas was able to hang onto the lead. This time. But lap 3 was different. Just after leaving the short dirt section, Douglas had lost enough time to lose the lead. But it was only temporary, as Douglas retook the lead again at the very next corner! And it lasted! 17 showdowns, 16 wins, 1 loss.

Post-race emails confirmed it actually was against Glenn Tingen. The showdown against Matt Kenseth is actually in a week's time...
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Tuesday 25th September 2007, Charity event, Trucks, Las Vegas, 50 laps

A different car, different track, different length. Still not a championship event. But it keeps Douglas behind the wheel, keeping out of trouble. Or does it get him into trouble? Well, his racing is what got his sister, Pippa, into racing, so...

Anyway, Douglas was disappointed to discover that only four trucks had turned up, but that wasn't going to stop Douglas from going out there and having a bit of fun. A bit of side-drafting at the start backfired and cost Douglas around 2 seconds, and took Douglas about 12 laps to catch back up to catch a draft again. But each time Douglas caught up, he caught some understeer, so it was lap 22 before Douglas made his first overtaking manoeuvre. And he took the lead just as lap 23 was commencing! That quickly became 2nd again, though. That was fine as it was better than 4th... A couple of attempts saw Douglas get all muddled and lose time, yet retain 2nd. Until lap 29, where momentum was lost and dropped Douglas into a battle for 3rd and 4th. Douglas got pushed sideways as he tried putting a block on, sending him across the grass, and into last place. Again. But would he get back into contention again? Well, yes, but each time Douglas went to make a move for third place again, Douglas's truck would be unsettled by contact and he would have to catch up again. By lap 40, all four trucks had spread out a bit, so a win was looking less likely. Four seconds separated 1st from 4th at this point. Lap 45, and Douglas thought, "What does it matter? This is only a charity event. It doesn't matter if I win or lose, just so long as we put on a good show." Although Douglas did finish fourth, and there was a lot of work for the mechanics to do, Douglas believed a good show was put on and hoped plenty of money had been raised for the charity.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Thursday 27th September 2007, NBS, Qualifying, Kansas Speedway, round 30/35

Seemed an age since Douglas last competed in this series, years. But it had only been a week! But what a week... A choice between a showdown and a charity event, then straight into another charity event, then back to this a few days later... Douglas's aim for this race weekend was to regain 2nd place in the championship from Kenny Wallace (whom he is 7 points behind). Qualifying 12th wasn't a great start, knowing how difficult Douglas's starts from the midfield are, but it's better than starting at the back. Unless he triggers a startline crash, which is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Saturday 29th September 2007, NBS, Race, Kansas Speedway, 50 laps, round 30/35

Douglas really didn't feel confident about starting 12th. Just didn't feel like it was going to be his day - he never went well on these big ovals. No proper corners! And he was starting two places behind his nearest championship rival, Kenny Wallace. And the start? Well, it was OK. Kept to a highline for the first lap, which meant he kept out of trouble damage-wise, but fell to 22nd by the end of lap 1. Lap 2 saw him remain around 22nd. But the third and fourth laps are where it went wrong. Douglas got tagged and ended up sideways trying a move and thus quickly ended up 43rd and last. And with a bit of damage. But by lap 20, Douglas had slowly crept up to 35th, picking (or pushing? ;-)) cars off one-by-one. However, he got punted down to 37th on lap 24, and knowing his tyres were only going to last until around lap 40, he decided to pit at mid-distance - the end of lap 25, sadly also picking up a pitlane speeding penalty. He just hoped that he would come out of the pits into some clear air and make up some time on fresh rubber. And it very nearly happened. He came out lapped, in amongst those he was racing before, but this time a lap down! And almost immediately got shoved into a spin on the back straight, bringing out the yellows. Not great for his pit strategy, although it would put him back on the lead lap? Which is indeed what happened, and he just dropped back at the restart, trying to keep outta trouble in 42nd - one car had been stationary in the pits for some time. But Douglas got a surprise on laps 37 and 38 - even though he got his lap back under the pace car, it was NOT because that's when everyone pitted. They were pitting now! So from being 6 to 8 seconds behind, he would end up with a fair lead. Result! Just needed to make sure nobody collected him as they came out of the pits... With a 20+ second lead by the time he got to the front, and running in the middle of a large pack, he decided on lap 41 to just start letting a large pack of cars past and keep out of trouble. With this luck, why risk anything? He needed this for the championship battle. BUT, But, but... Somebody still suddenly and deliberately turned in on him, spinning Douglas round, bring out the yellows again. With a restart on lap 47, Douglas stood no chance with only a 0.33 second lead. And got punted again on lap 48. And the yellows only briefly came out this time, with a green-white-chequered finish. And would you believe Douglas's luck? He tried a bit of blocking, but it was only as he realised that that would not work, he pulled to the outside to let people past, when he got rammed from behind, got collected by somebody else in the pack, and got flipped onto his roof. On lap 49 of 50! Damn, Damn, Damn. A race of what could have been!

Kenny Wallace finished 15th...

Earnings

Previous total    $1,165,311
Salary           $   25,200
Race winnings    $      768
Merchandise      $      249
New total        $1,191,528

Douglas Mann ended September thus:

NBS

1. Tony Stewart    4390
2. Kenny Wallace   4014  -376
3. Douglas Mann    3931  -459
4. Jimmie Johnson  3922  -468
5. Erin Crocker    3720  -670

Not great, considering he was 2nd at one point... Still probably end up in top-4 overall, though?

Craftsman Trucks

1.  Timothy Peters    2567
44. J.J. Shipps       1044  -1523
45. Douglas Mann       183  -2384

This is clearly just for fun, and a bit of prize money when he has a free weekend. After all, when you're last, and that far behind, there really is nothing to gain!

Whelen Modifieds

1. Douglas Mann     2204
2. Rodney Clay      2068  -136
3. Travis Haley     1996  -208

With 3 races left, falling out of the top-3 is highly unlikely, but nothing is yet guaranteed...
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Monday 1st October 2007, Nextel Cup, Showdown, Dockside, against Matt Kenseth, 3 laps

OK, so this would hopefully make Douglas feel better after a crap race two days earlier. A good afternoon and evening on what looked like a set of Murder She Wrote preceded this showdown. Well, it was either Cavet Cove or Disneyland Paris's Newport Bay Hotel. Douglas made a good start and actually led the whole 3 laps. Matt Kenseth remained within half a second for most of it, until the last half-lap. Then Douglas thought it odd that they should close the public roads for a showdown. But if it increases a bit of local trade for people to watch this, and it brings NASCAR to the fans, then Douglas could see the appeal for a seaside resort to cater to this. Anyway, this petty win did indeed lift Douglas's mood, and hoped it would help as he entered the last two months of the 2007 season. Next up, a Whelen Modified event at IRP. Douglas thought this would probably be an alright event, but time would tell...
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wednesday 3rd October 2007, Whelen Modifieds, Cardinal 150, IRP (Indianapolis Raceway Park), Round 15/17, 37 laps

Douglas seemed to remember that IRP was generally alright for him, but anything could still happen. Of course this category was a no-pitstop category, so couldn't use that to his advantage, although he hadn't needed it yet in these cars. Of course, scoring pole was no problem, and this set Douglas up well for the race later that same day.

During the race itself, Douglas was glad of an uneventful 37 laps. That wasn't to say that leading from lights to flag was easy (he never had a lead of more than 0.5 seconds, and was often between 0.2 and 0.35 seconds) but he kept calm and collected and nobody put in a serious challenge for the lead. Whoop, whoop!

Earnings

Previous total    $1,191,528
Salary            $    7,200
Winnings          $    3,000
Merchandise        $      447
New total         $1,202,175

Championship positions

1. Douglas Mann     2394 pts
2. Rodney Clay      2214 pts  -180
3. Travis Haley     2130 pts  -264
9. Nate Beasley     1886 pts  -508
10. Alan Walker     1870 pts  -524
14. Lou Stanton     1681 pts  -713

So Douglas is doing much better than his teammates. And although Douglas has a good advantage, and with only two rounds left, Douglas has not got this won yet. He just scored 190 points for a race in which he got pole, led every lap and won. But the last race, at Tiburon Raceway, is Douglas's best track, so there is a good chance of success yet!
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Thursday 4th October 2007, Craftsman Trucks, Talladega 250, Talladega, qualifying, round 23/28

Well, whatever happens here, this one is all for fun and is merely to boost Douglas's winnings. So nothing to lose! Although Douglas does hate those big ovals... So it was a surprise that, on just his third Truck entry of the year, he scored a pole on a track type he sucks at. There's a surprise! (2 races, no pole, no top-10s!) It made Douglas wonder what the race might have in store...

Saturday 5th October 2007, Craftsman Trucks, Talladega 250, Talladega, race, round 23/28, 23 laps

In 2006 in the Truck series, Douglas had 16 starts, 7 wins and 9 top-5s (and still only 9 top-10s!). So maybe a pole wasn't that surprising. But he WAS a part-time entry this year... A good start saw Douglas lead around the first turn, before beginning to lose positions. A slight tap on lap 2 saw the yellows come out. But Douglas restarted still, just, in the top-10 on lap 6. Lap 7, and Douglas thought that he may as well let the inevitable happen, and let the rest of the field by on the back stretch by pulling off to the side and let everyone by before rejoining (while maintaining a fair speed). After all, he was a very long way back in the championship, and only in it for the money. But experience counts, and he didn't just want to be a start-and-park kinda guy! If there were to be any DNFs, Douglas wanted to be there to capitalise! More dosh! And lap 9 saw another entrant go slowly, and Douglas was like a fast thing going past. A few more quid/bucks in the bank! But this other guy wasn't pitting, he seemed to have found some pace again and kept going a steady pace behind. And at this point, Douglas seemed to be maintaining a steady 15 seconds off the lead, and due to pit on lap 13. But Douglas ran out of fuel with a quarter of lap 12 left to go! Douglas was passed for last place again just as he managed to coast back to the pits. (The red warning light only came on just as he started lap 12, giving him no chance to respond to the warning...). It also seemed like this was the same time many others were pitting too. But oddly, Douglas still was going fast enough for a speeding penalty! And the yellows came out as Douglas was in the pits. No idea why initially, but replays on the screens behind the safety car just showed about half-a-dozen trucks spearing off towards the infield wall?! It meant Douglas's speeding penalty counted for nothing. On the restart on lap 17, Douglas restarted 3rd, but let the field past again, to realise he was still 18th out of 36 starters. What a pile-up he managed to avoid! Although bizarrely, his fuel tank still read empty? Turns out quite a few got going again and pitted after the pace car came in, but Douglas was able to maintain 18th to the flag. Not a win as pole may have suggested, but not last as the first half of the race may have suggested either. The very definition of midfield in a 36-truck field! The guys in 19th to 28th finished 5 laps down on Douglas, and 8 cars DNF'ed on lap 12. Douglas was happy at this point to not be a start-and-parker! :-)

Earnings

Previous total    $1,202,175
Salary            $    9,680
Winnings          $    1,326
Merchandise       $    2,095
New total         $1,215,276

Douglas Mann was now on 292 points. Still more than 700 points off the penultimate spot in the truck series, but who cares? Douglas just earnt around $13,000!
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wednesday 10th October 2007, NBS, Dollar General 300, Lowe's, qualifying, round 31/35

OK, so this is a series in which Douglas needed to perform well at if he is to turn recent misfortune in this championship around. Douglas was now aiming for 2nd in the championship as a realistic aim, given the number of races left. And he certainly did not want to fall to fourth after this round, meaning that it was essential that he beat Jimmie Johnson in this race. But first of all, he needed to qualify. There was a touch of understeer, so he hoped that he would not have to run in traffic much. Starting 7th may not be the best, therefore...

Friday 12th October 2007, NBS, Dollar General 300, Lowe's, race, 50 laps, round 31/35

Douglas was not keen on starting 7th with mild understeer, but he had no choice. He just wanted to keep out of trouble (again...) and hope pit strategy would work out for him, but he was not confident this would work for him. So Plan A was to go flat out to try to get to the front, or die (i.e. crash out) trying. Plan B: crash trying? Or just what he wanted to do, that he didn't think would work? In the first few laps, Douglas was able to remain around the top-10. Then he kept getting a few 'taps' which cost him momentum and thus positions. Not good. Eventually the safety car came out, and the race restarted on lap 7 with Douglas now in 22nd. Douglas did slip down to around 27th or 28th, but with a bit of traffic bunching across the start/finish line, Douglas was able to regain some of those lost positions. But then, in a battle for about 22nd with the number 42 car, Douglas was suddenly sent airborne, turned around and hit once or twice more. Even though Douglas did not need tyres or fuel at this point, he feared that if he didn't pit under this yellow, the damage would be too extreme, so pitted, and hoped he wouldn't need to again. Plus running at the back for a while would help avoid trouble. Hopefully. The race restarted on lap 17 with Douglas indeed in last place. On lap 23, the number 42 car came out of the pits (meaning Douglas was now a lap ahead of this guy), and immediately tried turning in on him again. Douglas was sure that if he had not pitted for repairs, this would have finished him off! But this time, it was all controlled, and the race continued under green. Douglas was going to feel better, given his race position, if he just backed off by a little bit and give this guy some space ("this guy" being Casey Mears). He deliberately stayed a second or two behind him and the back of the rest of the field. Of course, thanks to field spread, this meant that Douglas was falling away further from the lead (13.5 seconds by lap 33), but with his tyres and fuel still looking OK at this point, and with everybody else needing to pit, Douglas felt that the race was his... Some more traffic bunching across the start finish line on lap 38-39 and Douglas could not help but pile in. After everybody had straightened themselves out, Douglas again dropped back, particularly as he had picked up some fair damage. Nobody else had pitted yet, but Douglas thought that it couldn't be long now... And right on cue, at the end of lap 39, they pitted. Douglas was by now 20+ seconds behind, and hoped that he still stood a chance. Lap 43 saw Douglas take the lead, and any cars around him coming out from the pits, Douglas let pass. Why get in their way when he was so far ahead?! And his tyres at this point started to wear down a bit! With 7 laps to go, and Douglas only had an 8 second lead. It was enough for now, but the last thing Douglas needed or wanted was a safety car. There was to be no safety car, but Douglas lost about a second a lap. Douglas was thankful to complete the rest of the race on track with absolutely nobody around him, and had a winning margin of 1.369 seconds. Phewww. Not the way he wanted to win, but it worked. Thank goodness for Plan B...

Earnings

Old Total    $1,215,276
Salary       $   25,200
Winnings     $    5,176
Merchandise  $      249
New Total    $1,245,901

But then, bad news! It had all been a dream! Douglas still had it all to do! (In reality: for some reason, my PSP didn't save that race and had switched itself off as it ought to have been saving. Dammit.)

Friday 12th October 2007, NBS, Dollar General 300, Lowe's, race, 50 laps, round 31/35, RERUN!!!

Douglas hoped that "that dream" had been a premonition. Similar tactics would be used, as Douglas had a feeling they might work... Douglas stayed in around 8th and it was a steady run, until Douglas accidently got a good run on somebody, and ended up hitting his rear bumper! Safety car came out... No pit stop this time. Bit risky with around 40 or so laps to go... The restart didn't go to plan, and maybe Douglas should have pitted after all to repair the damage - a tap on the restart saw Douglas hit the wall while spinning and his engine blew. Dammit!!!

Earnings

Old Total    $1,215,276
Salary       $   25,200
Winnings     $      103
Merchandise  $      249
New Total    $1,240,828

And dammit, my PSP saved this version of this race event. If only Douglas had pitted to repair damage, ran safely at the back and waited for everybody else to pit, as happened in his 'dream'... That'll teach him not to learn from past experience.

His championship position now did not look good at all! Imagine if he had won?

1. Tony Stewart     4580
2. Kenny Wallace     4157  -423
3. Jimmie Johnson    4097  -483
4. Douglas Mann      3965  -615
5. Erin Crocker      3895  -721
6. JJ Yeley          3835  -745

Douglas simply cannot afford another bad race in NBS this season!
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Thursday 18th October 2007, Craftsman Trucks, Martinsville, Kroger 200, qualifying, round 24/28

After the problems of the previous weekend, Douglas needed a confidence boost, and the trucks were going to do it. A track with proper hairpin bends and therefore proper braking zones! Pole position! What a shame this championship was only a part-time campaign for Mr Mann...

Saturday 20th October 2007, Craftsman Trucks, Martinsville, Kroger 200, race, 50 laps, round 24/28

Douglas led from the start, but was never able to pull away from the field. Tyre wear started showing as an issue on lap 10. Tyre wear at this stage probably meant that a 2-stop strategy was going to be required, unless there were several yellow-flag periods, but then Douglas would likely to end up out of position at some point. Hmm, what to do? Douglas started to lose pace, which got worse on lap 22, when performance "went over the cliff", or whatever the F1 phrase was. Many positions were lost at once, so Douglas decided to cut his losses, pit and hope for yellows later, just to get an extra 6 laps out of the other set of tyres. Everybody else pitted from lap 30-ish onwards, but it was lap 39 by the time the leader pitted, by which time Douglas was in heavy traffic and with tyres that Douglas wasn't sure was going to last the distance. But Douglas felt all he could do was chance it, particularly if he now had a half-lap advantage (not that that would help if he did need to pit again!). However, somebody that was trying to dive down the inside of Douglas ended up hitting the end of the pit wall head-on, so bringing out the pace car. This may help Douglas's tyres, but would wipe out his lead. Could he defend his lead to the end? 6 laps to go, and his tyres just took a turn for the worse. Ooo-err! Lap 48: Douglas loses the lead, falls to third. Then the pace car comes out. Surely it'll stay out til the chequered flag? No! Restarts still on lap 48! Ahhhh!!!! Somehow, Douglas actually regained 2nd on lap 49, only to drop back to third again on the exit to the final bend! Now why could this not have happened in the last race, in a championship that mattered!

Earnings

Old Total     $1,240,828
Salary        $    9,680
Winnings      $    2,426
Merchandise   $    2,095
New Total     $1,255,029

Over one-and-a-quarter million!!!!

Championship - Trucks

44. Montgomery Davis   1063  -1814
45. Douglas Mann        467  -2410

Maybe Douglas could aim to not be last? But he would miss one of the remaining due to a clash! So maybe not?
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wednesday 24th October 2007, Whelen Modifieds, New Hampshire, New Hampshire 100, qualifying and race, round 16/17, 25 laps

Penultimate round of the year, and Douglas has almost a whole win's advantage in the championship. How could he lose, particularly when the final round is his strongest track (Tiburon, a very, very short track indeed)? Pole position here is one stage towards sealing this title!

Sadly for this race report, there is not much to report. Douglas Mann led from pole, led every lap and won by 5.6 seconds. Maybe there were good battles further down the field? Douglas didn't know and wasn't bothered, because by his calculations, he won the title!

Earnings

Old total      $1,255,029
Salary         $    7,200
Winnings       $    2,451
Merchandise    $      447
New total      $1,265,127

Douglas Mann now has a 200-point advantage, and with a maximum possible score from each round of 190 points, Douglas has won the 2007 Whelen Modified title!
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Thursday 25th October 2007, NBS, Dairyland 350, Old Spice High Endurance Speedway, qualifying, round 32/35

After his title success of the previous day, and with this now being a track with both left and right turns, Douglas felt he should be able to reverse his recent bad luck in this series. He was having to sacrifice a truck round to compete here, but as this was a higher series, he would be paid more, and he was in contention for a decent placing in the championship. Or at least he was, and doing better here than in the truck championship. And pole helped.

Saturday 27th October 2007, NBS, Dairyland 350, Old Spice High Endurance Speedway, race, round 32/35, 58 laps

Douglas made a poor start, falling to third. He regained second by half-way round lap 1, but an aggressive move needed to be made for the lead, which happened a lap later. Douglas then pulled out an advantage of around three seconds by about lap 12, which then stabilised for the next stage of the race. Lap 19 saw a few scrapes with the wall, which brought Douglas's advantage down to 2 seconds. But then lap 20 saw the safety car come out for an incident further down the field. Douglas ummed and erred as to whether to pit at this point. With the rate of tyre wear and fuel use Douglas was experiencing, pitting now would entail a further pit stop later. But not doing so now would make the restart difficult with tyres not at their best. So Douglas gambled on pitting now, and hoping for either a further caution period or pitting with everyone else later, and hoping that he would not have a problem with traffic on the restart. Lap 23 saw Douglas go from 43rd to 33rd. Lap 25 saw Douglas try a little too hard round the outside of a hairpin bend and pushed someone into a spin. As this was now approaching half-distance and nobody else had yet pitted, Douglas thought he would pit again now, hoping that he could now last until the end of the race. Again, he seemed to be alone in this decision. Also, recent experience told him to get repairs done at every opportunity! The race restarted on lap 30, and by the start of lap 35, Douglas was back into the top-10 on pace alone. A few cars were difficult and involved contact, but not enough to upset Douglas's progress. It was around then that those ahead of him began to pit, which made his progression to the lead so much easier. However, another lap later, and the cautions came out! Some slower cars in the race came together and stopped out on track. Douglas wanted to pit again, just to be sure of getting to the end, but this would definitely entail driving right through the field yet again, and Douglas just wasn't prepared for that. So he just hoped that the tyres and fuel would last, and that he would be able to pull out an advantage of a few seconds on the restart as he did first time round. Took a bit longer than anticipated, but Douglas was pulling away, up to 1.8 seconds when they went full-course caution again on lap 46! This might help to extend Douglas's tyres and fuel, but Douglas couldn't pit and hope to be able to slice through the field again, bearing in mind the championship situation. But with tyre wear now being a factor, Douglas couldn't guarantee being able to eke out an advantage again. But stay out is what Douglas decided, and hope it was for the best, and that this was the last caution period... Don't ask what happened on the restart. Suffice it to say that Douglas quickly fought back into the lead and gained a 1.5 second advantage within a few laps. Only to see yet another full-course yellow. "Geez Louise," thought Douglas. "How many more of these can there be!" The race restarted yet again with two laps to go and this time, there was no backmarker just ahead of Douglas for him to worry about. He did initially fall to fourth however, but squeezed himself back up to third, despite being pushed into the wall! This cost Douglas time and prevented a challenge for the lead in the remaining lap-and-a-half. But after Douglas's recent form in NBS, 3rd was a much appreciated result!

Earnings

Old Total   $1,277,686
Salary      $   28,800
Winnings    $    3,720
Merchandise $      249
New Total   $1,310,455

New championship positions

NBS

1. Tony Stewart     4755
2. Kenny Wallace    4292  -463
3. Jimmie Johnson   4247  -508
4. Douglas Mann     4140  -615
5. Erin Crocker     4044  -711

So with three further rounds left, Douglas was not hopeful of regaining any lost positions, but then he was almost exactly half-way between moving up to 3rd and losing fourth. So Douglas just knew that he needed to keep trying.

Trucks

44. Montgomery Davis   1063 -1935
45. Douglas Mann       522 -2476

So Douglas gained a few points but Davis didn't? Huh? But Douglas wasn't complaining. Maybe his Truck team just hired a replacement driver that scored on his behalf?
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wednesday 31st October 2007, Craftsman Trucks, Texas, Silverado 350, qualifying, round 26/28

Three weeks left of this season, and Douglas had seven races left! One Whelen Modified race, three Truck races and three NBS races. At least the Truck and NBS races were at the same track each weekend, that would save on travelling! And the Nextel Cup races would also be at the same tracks, but Douglas doubted that he would be offered a contract in that series at this point of the year, even though that was a desire of his for 2007. Still, he has enough to focus on for now. For this Truck round, Douglas qualified 10th. That would make the race difficult, but this made Douglas worried that his performance here would then be reflected in the NBS qually and race...

Thursday 1st November 2007, NBS, Texas, O'Reilly Challenge, qualifying, round 33/35

...And Douglas qualified 13th. Crap. Gonna be two difficult races this weekend!

Friday 2nd November 2007, Craftsman Trucks, Texas, Silverado 350, qualifying, round 26/28, 36 laps

Douglas wasn't bothered what happened in this race, it was just practice for the NBS race. Although Douglas wasn't always very good at learning from his mistakes... For the first 13 laps, Douglas ran in 12th place, in a gap in traffic, a situation that Douglas was happy with. But then it went to full-track caution. Douglas decided not to pit because, although he was light on fuel, if he refuelled now, he wouldn't make it to the end of the race. But then, he should have pitted, as he would have had the chance to restart away from the midfield. Never mind. The race restarted at the start of lap 17, two laps before half distance. Douglas restarted badly, falling to 22nd. Most began pitted at the end of lap 17, so Douglas decided to definitely NOT pit that lap. However, he needed to pit at the end of lap 18 as fuel was becoming critical. He decided not to change tyres to try to gain an advantage at this point, although he realised that this might cost him later. Still, at least he got to lead a lap! He emerged from the pits in 2nd! He didn't know how he got there but he did! To prove how critical tyres and fuel was in this race, most of the field came in at the start of lap 34 to the pits, and Douglas thought he would try to push on to the end. However, the fuel warning light came on with just under a lap-and-a-half to go, so decided to not risk it - fuel usually ran out a lap later. But Douglas got a speeding penalty entering the pits! But Douglas was still keeping the same tyres and taking on the minimum amount of fuel, a splash-and-dash. Douglas came out in second, just a second behind the leader. If only he hadn't sped on entering the pits! Touching the wall half-way round the final lap pushed Douglas down to fourth, but this was still a much better result than Douglas anticipated after qualifying and the first stage of the race...

Earnings

Old total    $1,310,455
Salary       $    9,680
Winnings     $    4,034
Merchandise  $    2,095
New total    $1,326,264

Championship

44. Montgomery Davis  1151  -2012
45. Douglas Mann       687  -2476

Douglas is still gaining on Montgomery, but the season is likely not to be long enough to gain anything. The real gain is nearly $16000. Soon, he may have enough to go into team ownership, the only thing ingame that money can be spent on...

Saturday 3rd November 2007, NBS, Texas, O'Reilly Challenge, race, round 33/35, 50 laps

That first lap. Douglas didn't really know what happened. He was keeping out of the way on the inside line for the first half-lap, when he got shoved, spun 360-degrees through the air. Douglas thought it best to pit under that safety car period, get repairs done, and get new tyres and a splash of fuel. Never know if it might come in handy, especially the repairs... And he would be out of traffic on the restart! :-) Not many updates to the race this time - Douglas just wanted and needed to get a good result here. By lap 15, Douglas had made to 37th, having begun an attack on lap 10 (he couldn't help it if he was suddenly carrying much more momentum than those immediately ahead of him!), but then contact sent him 10 seconds off the leader by lap 20 and into 40th of 43. One DNFer in the pits. Douglas got half-way on tyre wear on lap 23. Nearly half-way, but not quite. Douglas thought he would just go as far into the race and see what would happen. Just hoping that if, no - when!, he would have to pit, the pitlane would be quiet. At the end of lap 31, as Douglas suddenly lost an extra second to the leader for no apparent reason, Douglas decided to pit for tyres, fuel and repairs (he didn't really think he needed fuel, but as he was having everything else done, he didn't think it really added any time to his pitstop). And he thought that it might bring him back out into empty racetrack again, something not guaranteed if he pitted late - there was always a bigger field spread post-pitstops. He emerged just over a lap later, just behind those who were just behind him previously! Empty-ish track! However, he gained on these fellow tail-enders, and it was enough to send Douglas sideways. Sideways enough to bring the yellows out. Douglas just hoped that nobody would pit, otherwise he would definitely finish the race a lap down! Douglas actually restated in last on the lead lap, others then pitted, Douglas had a 27-second lead, Douglas got spun, another safety car, three laps on restart, Douglas received terminal damage on the final lap, Douglas was classified 8th even though 14 completed the lead lap. What the smeg?!

Earnings

Old Total     $1,326,264
Salary        $   28,800
Winnings      $    2,005
Merchandise   $      249
New total     $1,357,318

Championship

1. Tony Stewart     4920
2. Kenny Wallace    4415  -505
3. Jimmie Johnson   4320  -600
4. Douglas Mann     4287  -633
5. JJ Yeley         4134  -786

Maybe Douglas has a chance of a podium finish in this championship after all! Just two more races to go, and two consistent finishes should do it! Clearly 1st and 2nd are out, but 3rd is certainly realistic...
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wednesday 7th November 2007, Trucks, Phoenix, Phoenix 150, qualifying, round 27/28

Penultimate weekend of the year. Let's get on with this! Qualified 5th with a time of 27.000 seconds!

Thursday 8th November 2007, NBS, Arizona.Travel 200, Phoenix, qualifying, round 34/35

27.902 seconds - pole in the race that counts for more! Yeah, baby!

Friday 9th November 2007, Trucks, Phoenix, Phoenix 150, race, round 27/28, 37 laps

Lap 3 and Douglas was in 3rd. Made a move for 2nd, got fully alongside, then got turned into a spin. Hit the wall, then rebounded into the field, where Douglas was hit by at least two other trucks. Naturally a full-course caution followed, which would give Douglas a chance to get his truck fixed. Mucks up his race strategy a bit though. Others started pitting on lap 27, and at this point, Douglas thought that he might be able to make it to the end of the race without pitting again. But it wasn't to be. Lap 32 saw Douglas come in to refuel, but the tyres were left. Douglas re-emerged with a 1.5 second lead. This had disappeared to nothing with a lap-and-a-half to go (less than a tenth), but Douglas was able to defend cleanly for the rest of the race. He won!

Earnings

Old total      $1,357,318
Salary         $    9,680
Winnings       $    6,404
Merchandise    $    2,095
New total      $1,375,497

Championship positions

44.Montgomery Davis   1236  -2082
45. Douglas Mann       872  -2445

Of course, it is now impossible for Douglas to be anything other than last with one race left to go. Unless there was a new, one-off entry for the final round?

Saturday 10th November 2007, NBS, Arizona.Travel 200, Phoenix, race, round 34/35, 50 laps

With a decent result the day before, on an unusual strategy, Douglas felt uneasily confident about this, especially as he was going to start from pole. It took Douglas more than 10 laps to get just a 0.8 second lead, but lead is what Douglas did. But after lap 20, this narrow lead shrunk again. Douglas pitted at the end of lap 29 just as the lead became less than 0.2 seconds. In fact, as Douglas began braking for the pits, the guy running in second punted him up the rear bumper, but with no serious consequence other than Douglas picking up a speeding penalty to boot. If Douglas didn't have the speeding penalty, he may well have come out on the lead lap, into a gap on track. But instead, he came out into traffic. As it was, there was significant field spread, so only 5 to 7 cars had lapped Douglas. But guess what happened when Douglas tried to unlap himself? Yep, reason for a full-course yellow. So this put Douglas back onto the lead lap, albeit still in last place. So Douglas decided to just wait for everybody else to pit rather than pass anybody on track... Post-pitstops, Douglas had four competitors ahead of him, unlapped, not getting in his way, and everybody else was maintaining a gap behind him and lapped. He's winner!

Earnings

Old total    $1,375,497
Salary       $   28,800
Winnings     $    4,269
Merchandise   $      249
New total    $1,408,815

BUT!!! Do you remember what happened to Douglas in the race at Lowe's on 12th October, just under a month ago? Well, it happened again. Whether it was due to such a busy, hectic schedule without a break or not, Douglas didn't know, but he sure was glad that the end of the season was near. It felt like this season in all these categories had taken years... (In reality, my PSP, battery was fine, and I was playing with the device plugged in. So why, when after the race, I went to go back to the main menu, and the PSP decided to switch off rather than save the progress I have no idea. I had even switched it on just before starting this race, so it should not have been to overheating or anything - I had completed the other races above using the PSP the same way...)

Saturday 9th November 2007, NBS, Arizona.Travel 200, Phoenix, race, round 34/35, 50 laps - ANOTHER RERUN...

Again, Douglas was able to get a 0.8 second lead, but he got that far with 5 laps this time, This also meant that Douglas was reeled in again sooner. Douglas pitted at the end of lap 25 still in the lead, but only just. This time, his rear bumper did not receive any contact! Yes! And no pitlane speeding either! Douglas hoped to exit the pits this time still on the lead lap, and with no traffic around him. He actually emerged lapped by two cars, but because they were in their own little battle, Douglas got past them easily. Douglas then reduced the 28 second gap down to 20 seconds before everybody else pitted. This meant that Douglas had a 13-second lead by the time everybody had their pitstop. However, Douglas was now in traffic, and this meant an obligatory full-curse yellow. Sorry, typo! A full-COURSE yellow... And that is how the race ended. So Douglas ended up with the same result after all! Hallelujah!

Earnings

Old total    $1,375,497
Salary       $   28,800
Winnings     $    4,269
Merchandise   $      249
New total    $1,408,815

(Same as above because it was the same race with the same result for Douglas!)

Championship

1. Tony Stewart    5090
2. Kenny Wallace   4570  -520
3. Douglas Mann    4477  -613
4. Jimmie Johnson  4441  -649
5. JJ Yeley        4264  -826

So Douglas is unlikely to get the first or second in the championship that he was hoping for, but equally he won't be below 4th - the battle is entirely with Jimmie Johnson!
Last edited by dr-baker on 09 Oct 2014, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wednesday 14th November 2007

Douglas had a choice. Either he could compete in the final Whelen Modifieds race at Tiburon (a race where he always runs well at, and in a championship he has already won) or compete in qualifying for the Trucks race at Homestead-Miami (in a championship he is guaranteed to finish last in, and in which he will not be paid, but will be a little bit of extra practice for his final NBS race at the same track, for a championship where he needs to beat one particular driver, but if he doesn't compete he will start last)? When the arguments were put like that, Douglas thought the choice seemed obvious...

Wednesday 14th November 2007, Whelen Modifieds, Tiburon Raceway, Dodge: Grab Life by the Horns 150, 37 laps

As usual for this series, it's qualifying and race on the same day. 10.999 seconds, pole position! Not bad for Douglas's favourite racetrack...

In the race, Douglas led from the off, but initially did not pull out an advantage over the rest of the field. Lap 7 or so saw Douglas fall to second due to a small mistake, but Douglas easily retook the lead cleanly on lap 10, and thereafter led the remainder of the race, having established a 1.0 to 1.5 second advantage. Simples!

Earnings

Old total   $1,408,815
Salary      $    7,200
Winnings    $    2,811
Merchandise $      447
New total   $1,419,273

Championship final standings

1. Douglas Mann     2774
2. Rodney Clay      2522  -252
6. Nate Beasley     2158  -616
8. Alan Walker      2134  -640
15. Lou Stanton     1890  -884

The last three were Douglas's teammates. Not too shabby, eh? 31 took part in the series, and those from 27th to 31st were separated by 30 points, ranging from 230 points down to 200. And for reference, there were 16 races, Douglas Mann scored 12 poles and 11 wins, while Douglas's three teammates scored no poles and 1 win amongst them. So Douglas did kinda alright, don'tcha think? ;-)
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Thursday 15th November 2007, NBS, Ford 300, Homestead-Miami, qualifying, round 35/35

So now that Douglas had got to Homestead-Miami, Douglas really was starting to feel like this was the final round of the year. Eeeek. And that this was his last qualifying session of the year - he would be starting last in the truck race here due to missing qualifying for the last Whelen Modifieds race of the year. A worthwhile choice, Douglas believed. Anyway, Douglas didn't know how he did it, but he got pole here. He usually does not well at all on longer ovals, but this filled him with a smigin of hope to beating Jimmie Johnson in two days' time!

Friday 16th November 2007, Craftsman Trucks, Ford 200, Homestead-Miami, race, round 28/28, 33 laps

OK, so Douglas would be starting last, and he knew he would be last in this series's championship, but that would not stop him from trying! After all, it would be practice for tomorrow's final race of the season in NBS (strictly speaking, there would be a Nextel Cup on Sunday 18th November, but as Douglas was not competing in that, this did not bother him). Douglas spent the first 10 laps or so in last. Douglas thought that this didn't bode well for tomorrow, if he maintained the same pace as everybody else but wasn't able to drop behind or pull away from the pack easily. But by the time Douglas pitted for fresh tyres and fuel at the end of lap 17, Douglas was already in the 20s position (He wasn't paying full, continuous attention to exactly which position he was in). Just so long as he got out of traffic on exiting from the pits, he would be happy. It didn't quite pan out that way, but that was fine because it was only for two or three laps before everybody else started to pit too. And Douglas went from a 5-or-so second deficit before the pitstops to a 5-or-so second advantage after the pitstops - Douglas of course became the leader of the race after the pitstops! This was quickly whittled away, however, but not quickly enough, for the other trucks closed to 0.451 seconds by the chequered flag. If the race was just one or two laps longer, the win would not have been Douglas's. That didn't exactly fill Douglas with confidence as tomorrow's NBS race was 50 laps, but all he could do was to go out and give it his best shot!

Earnings

Old total    $1,419,273
Salary       $    9,680
Winnings     $    9,578
Merchandise  $    2,095
New total    $1,440,626

So Douglas wasn't exactly sure how much he had earnt from his few truck outings this year, but he knew that it was a nice amount that boosted his career earning quite nicely, thank you very much. And he finished the championship in 45th and last, yes, but with over 1000 points, 1062 to be precise, and 2382 points off the lead. Which was only two points closer than at the end of September. But considering that he missed a round in late October to race in NBS, Douglas was quite impressed with himself. Especially as his stats for the year read 8 starts, 2 poles and 2 wins, while his series teammate, Ted Musgrove had 25 starts, no poles and no wins. And Ted's points-to-starts ratio didn't look quite as good either, considering he scored 2539 points all season. (101.59 points per race for Ted versus 132.75 for Douglas). So all-in-all, not bad!

Saturday 17th November 2007, NBS, Homestead-Miami, Ford 300, round 35/35, 50 laps

The last race of the year, and the race which would decide whether Douglas finished 3rd or 4th in the NBS championship. Douglas didn't think much of importance really hung on it, but it mattered to him whether he got a podium position in his most highly regarded championship of the year. It started well - Douglas was 2.5 seconds in the lead by the start of lap 10, a better start than the early stages of the truck race suggested! By lap 20, Douglas was 4 seconds ahead, and was 4.5 seconds ahead by the time he pitted at the end of lap 25. Douglas got half-way on fuel and tyre wear on lap 22/23, so Douglas knew that he would be driving comfortably at the end of the race. (Douglas also lapped two stragglers who had each spent several laps stationary in the pits between laps 20 and 25, but neither gave Douglas any problems.) Coming out of the pits on lap 26, Douglas was 24.5 seconds behind, and this became 20 seconds behind by lap 33, before anybody else had made a 'normal' stop. Douglas was already in the top 40 by this point, however, due to some drivers having problems of their own. It did help, however, that Douglas was running in clear air... Even lapping some slow cars didn't hinder Douglas. But Douglas sadly was not able to track how Jimmie Johnson was doing, the one rival that Douglas cared about in this race (because of the championship positions, obviously!). By lap 40, Douglas was back in the lead by 17+ seconds, but with a bit of lapped traffic to deal with, which Douglas always considered risky business, with the number of bumps and scrapes he had got into in his two-year stint State-side. So, by the end of the race, Douglas won by 25+ seconds and only 8 cars were on the lead lap. Out of 43 cars. What on earth was Douglas worried about?

Earnings

Old total      $1,440,626
Salary         $   28,800
Winnings       $    6,385
Merchandise    $      249
New total      $1,476,060

So Jimmie Johnson became Nextel Cup champion. And here's a surprise, the NBS final standings:

1. Tony Stewart        5250
2. DOUGLAS MANN        4667  -583
3. Kenny Wallace       4604  -646
4. Jimmie Johnson      4490  -760
5. Erin Crocker        4375  -875
6. JJ Yeley            4373  -877

Because Douglas had won that last race, he hadn't bothered to check where the others had finished, but it certainly seemed as if they had real shockers! Douglas got the finishing position he had originally been aiming for in September after all!
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

So a career summary to date:

Whelen Modifieds

16 starts
8 wins
10 top-5s
15 top-10s
$94,878

Trucks

16 starts
7 wins
9 top-5s
9 top-10s
$140,430

NBS

7 starts
2 wins
3 top-5s
3 top-10s
$106,112

2006 totals

39 starts
17 wins
22 top-5s
27 top 10s
$341,420

Whelen Modifieds
16 starts
11 wins
12 top-5s
14 top-10s
$143,819

Trucks

8 starts
2 wins
4 top-5s
4 top-10s
$104,110

NBS

35 starts
16 wins
19 top-5s
22 top-10s
$795,801

2007 totals

59 starts
29 wins
35 top-5s
40 top-10s
$1,043,730

So after looking at these statistics, Douglas thought that his focus for 2008 should be purely on NBS. He had nothing left to gain from staying in Whelen Modifieds, he had dominated for two seasons, and it didn't pay nearly as well as NBS had for him in 2007... Trucks were fun, and often got him some race experience prior to each NBS round, but that was just a bit of fun. Plus, after having begun 2006 with just a Whelen Modifieds contract and ended 2006 with a contract in each of Whelens, Trucks and NBS, Douglas had seriously hoped that by the start of 2008, he would have had a Nextel Cup contract too. But it isn't yet to be. Maybe they are expecting him to have a more single-minded approach? After all, 59 races in one season from February through to November was rather a lot! And with the money Douglas currently has, he could buy absolutely any of the Whelen Modified teams, or half of the 20 Craftsman Truck teams. He could not yet afford any of the NBS or Nextel Cup teams. This would again be postponed for another season, to give himself more options. In the meantime, it is a decision to decide which NBS team to sign for in 2008.

Total contracts on offer for 2008:

1. Whelen Modifieds
Stash Motorsports/#132 Heavy Breathers car
Salary $4200/race
Merchandise 11%
Winnings 16%

2.Whelen Modifieds
T and G Racing/#172 Spindall Gear Lube Car
Salary $4350/race
Merchandise 14%
Winnings 18%

3. Whelen Modifieds
Kreuger Racing/#150 Outtake Intake Car
Salary $4500/race
Merchandise 16%
Winnings 19%

4. Whelen Modifieds
Rising Dragon Motorsports/#105 Notme Mufflers Car
Salary $7200/race
Merchandise 5%
Winnings 12%

5. Whelen Modifieds
HulaMonkey Motorsports/#121Lockjaw Lemon Tart Car
Salary $4650/race
Merchandise 18%
Winnings 21%

6. Whelen Modifieds
Orange County Racing/#159 Courtesy Coils Car
Salary $4800/race
Merchandise 21%
Winnings 22%

7. Whelen Modifieds
Kenny Wallace Racing/#126 Richard Petty Car
Salary $4950/race
Merchandise 23%
Winnings 24%

8. Craftsman Trucks
Rossi Racing/#103 Bob's Wire Fencing Truck
Salary $6489/race
Merchandise 1%
Winnings 10%

9. Craftsman Trucks
Kureigu Pro Racing/#164 Mixwell Fuel Pumps Truck
Salary $8360/race
Merchandise 7%
Winnings 14%

10. Craftsman Trucks
MAG Incorporated/#128 ZAP Spark Plugs Truck
Salary $8800/race
Merchandise 9%
Winnings 15%

11. Craftsman Trucks
Evernham Racing/#98 Cheerios Truck
Salary $9240/race
Merchandise 11%
Winnings 16%

12. Craftsman Trucks
Roush Racing/#99 Woolrich Truck
Salary $10,120/race
Merchandise 17%
Winnings 20%

13. Craftsman Trucks
Bobby Hamilton Racing/#4 Dodge Motorsports Truck
Salary $10,560/race
Merchandise 21%
Winnings 22%

14. NBS
Papa Racing/#106 Showstopper Graphix Dodge
Salary $13,680
Merchandise 1%
Winnings 10%

15. NBS
Richard Childress Racing/#2 AC Delco Chevrolet
Salary $13,920
Merchandise 1%
Winnings 10%

16. NBS
HulaMonkey Motorsports/#108 Courtesy Coils Chevrolet
Salary $14,880
Merchandise 2%
Winnings 10%

17. NBS
Team Strickland/#163 Old Spice Chevrolet
Salary $28,800
Merchandise 1%
Winnings 10%

18. NBS
PPC Racing/#10 Freedom Roads Ford
Salary $18,240
Merchandise 7%
Winnings 14%

19. NBS
Dale Earnhardt Inc./#8 Oreo Chevrolet
Salary $18,720
Merchandise 8%
Winnings 14%

20. NBS
Evernham Motorsports/#9 Ingersall Rand Dodge
Salary $19,200
Merchandise 9%
Winnings 15%

Douglas is considering offers 17, 19 and 20. His 2007 team, plus two teams that Douglas was familiar with and would be happy to be affiliated with. But he will take his time deciding - go away on holiday then return to decide.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Separating from Douglas's career for now, I will definitely aim to have a 2008 and a 2009 season in NASCAR for Douglas before he joins F1RWRS in time for the 2010 season, and his NASCAR background will explain why it takes him several seasons before he wins his first race, and why he is not that strong in his first season. Plus, I won't have Douglas become a team owner in NASCAR until 2010, when he has to leave for Europe - he can buy the team and leave someone else to run the team. I am also considering running a back-story for Pippa Mann, utilising Formula Ford in TOCA Race Driver on PSP, then the junior single-seater categories in GRID: Autosport. It may well take me many more years to complete all that, but that's what I intend doing...
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:Separating from Douglas's career for now, I will definitely aim to have a 2008 and a 2009 season in NASCAR for Douglas before he joins F1RWRS in time for the 2010 season, and his NASCAR background will explain why it takes him several seasons before he wins his first race, and why he is not that strong in his first season. Plus, I won't have Douglas become a team owner in NASCAR until 2010, when he has to leave for Europe - he can buy the team and leave someone else to run the team. I am also considering running a back-story for Pippa Mann, utilising Formula Ford in TOCA Race Driver on PSP, then the junior single-seater categories in GRID: Autosport. It may well take me many more years to complete all that, but that's what I intend doing...

Just as a heads up, I already have James Davies as NASCAR Cup champion for 2008 and 2009, though if you want to turn down his dominance for those seasons, go ahead. I didn't actually expect anyone else to bother with NASCAR in canon. :P
Everything's great.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Salamander wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Separating from Douglas's career for now, I will definitely aim to have a 2008 and a 2009 season in NASCAR for Douglas before he joins F1RWRS in time for the 2010 season, and his NASCAR background will explain why it takes him several seasons before he wins his first race, and why he is not that strong in his first season. Plus, I won't have Douglas become a team owner in NASCAR until 2010, when he has to leave for Europe - he can buy the team and leave someone else to run the team. I am also considering running a back-story for Pippa Mann, utilising Formula Ford in TOCA Race Driver on PSP, then the junior single-seater categories in GRID: Autosport. It may well take me many more years to complete all that, but that's what I intend doing...

Just as a heads up, I already have James Davies as NASCAR Cup champion for 2008 and 2009, though if you want to turn down his dominance for those seasons, go ahead. I didn't actually expect anyone else to bother with NASCAR in canon. :P

Well, as Douglas does not actually have a Nextel Cup contract yet, and has not been offered one for 2008 yet, that does not yet pose a problem... He is unlikely to be 2008 champion. Maybe I could keep him that way throughout 2008 and 2009, keeping him in the junior NASCAR ranks?

And you didn't expect anybody else to bother with NASCAR in cannon? Have you seen how old this thread is? Or was yours even older?

EDIT: Maybe this shared NASCAR history explains why James Davies was able to get the Anglo-Manx Racing contract in 2012?
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:And you didn't expect anybody else to bother with NASCAR in cannon? Have you seen how old this thread is? Or was yours even older?

Well, sort of - I gave up on it after 2 races because I figured nobody bothered reacing it. I've continued doing the offline career, but haven't posted it on the forums. I think by the time I added those lines to the wiki page, this thread was pretty buried in the forums.

EDIT: Maybe this shared NASCAR history explains why James Davies was able to get the Anglo-Manx Racing contract in 2012?

I had that thought too, actually...
Everything's great.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Salamander wrote:
dr-baker wrote:And you didn't expect anybody else to bother with NASCAR in cannon? Have you seen how old this thread is? Or was yours even older?

Well, sort of - I gave up on it after 2 races because I figured nobody bothered reacing it. I've continued doing the offline career, but haven't posted it on the forums. I think by the time I added those lines to the wiki page, this thread was pretty buried in the forums.

Well, I did abandon this for a few years due to university degree time constraints, and hence why it's now that I've been able to revive this. And I also thought that nobody was reading this, but thought I would post anyway, just so people could summarise it for the Wiki... I would certainly have maybe structured Douglas's career around James's if I'd known details about it. But as there's no clash yet, and won't be for a while, I can actually still work round it. Maybe Douglas could continue in whelens, Trucks AND NBS anyway?

EDIT: You suggested you posted two of James's NASCAR races here: where are they? I'd like a quick look!

2nd EDIT: Is this it? Looks like that thread and this were created within weeks of each other! :lol:
MCard LOLA
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

What about 2004 and 2005 with James Davies and Douglas Mann.
Officially Retired
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:EDIT: You suggested you posted two of James's NASCAR races here: where are they? I'd like a quick look!

2nd EDIT: Is this it? Looks like that thread and this were created within weeks of each other! :lol:

Yeah, that was it.
Everything's great.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

HawkAussie wrote:What about 2004 and 2005 with James Davies and Douglas Mann.

Sorry, only just noticed this post. Don't think that suggestion is realistic, given the set-up of this thread. Douglas was competing initially only in Whelen Modifieds at the start of 2006, he needed to test to get into the Trucks series in June 2006 and had his first try-out for the NBS (Nationwide series) in October of that year. For 2007 and 2008, no further try-outs have been required. If Douglas had been competing with James Davies in 2004 and 2005, as attractive as that proposition sounds, it then would not make sense of that 2006 season.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

OK, so I have started the next season, but only a few races so far, so won't post too much yet. But, while putting all my results into tables for a side-project, I noted something about my first season in 2006. I had a Craftsman Truck test in June 2006, which I passed, and have been free to sign any Truck contract I want into 2008 without another test. I had a Nationwide/NBS test in September 2006, which I passed, and have been free to sign any NBS contract I want into 2008 without another test. I had a Nextel Cup test in October 2006, which I did not pass, and nobody from that series has shown any interest in me since (apart from showdowns). Might it be that I just won't get to compete in Nextel Cup at all?

And if anybody wants Douglas's NASCAR results (Whelen Modifieds, Truck and NBS) from 2006 and 2007 to put onto his Wiki page, I can email them (currently in a Microsoft Word document).
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This is a place-marker post to say that this thread will soon be resurrected from the dead. I currently have a bit of free time which I can dedicate to this, so I will do so.

When I was considering returning to this, I thought I had completed the 2008 season already, and was just about to move onto the 2009 season. Looks like I was wrong. I have only done 2006 and 2007 so far. Canon already says that Douglas Mann moves onto F1RWRS in 2010, so that is the direction this thread has to allow for. So I have two more seasons of this to go rather than one.

And as I was preparing, I realised that my PSP didn't work. So I got a new one off a well-known online auction site for around £30. Turns out the problem with my old one was the power cord. So I will be able to access the old data on it after all. (Hopefully. It switches on and stuff, just haven't stuck the UMD disc in yet.)

So hopefully this should pass away a bit of time for me for as long as I have time to spare. And once I have completed the 2009 season for Douglas Mann, I may try filling in Pipa Mann's junior series back story. Maybe.
MCard LOLA
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

dr-baker wrote:This is a place-marker post to say that this thread will soon be resurrected from the dead. I currently have a bit of free time which I can dedicate to this, so I will do so.

When I was considering returning to this, I thought I had completed the 2008 season already, and was just about to move onto the 2009 season. Looks like I was wrong. I have only done 2006 and 2007 so far. Canon already says that Douglas Mann moves onto F1RWRS in 2010, so that is the direction this thread has to allow for. So I have two more seasons of this to go rather than one.

And as I was preparing, I realised that my PSP didn't work. So I got a new one off a well-known online auction site for around £30. Turns out the problem with my old one was the power cord. So I will be able to access the old data on it after all. (Hopefully. It switches on and stuff, just haven't stuck the UMD disc in yet.)

So hopefully this should pass away a bit of time for me for as long as I have time to spare. And once I have completed the 2009 season for Douglas Mann, I may try filling in Pipa Mann's junior series back story. Maybe.

An interesting way of fleshing out a driver's backstory. I'd be up to read it!
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:An interesting way of fleshing out a driver's backstory. I'd be up to read it!

Well, you already have some of it here. The rest will come in due course!
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

So I have been getting up to speed again with the game on my replacement PSP, and I feel ready to commence the career again. Just reinserted the game into my original PSP, and this is where I am with the game so far:

I am on week two of the 2008 season. So far, there have been two Whelen Modified Series races out of 16, at Richmond and Milwaukee. I have apparently taken part in a Nextel Cup Showdown with someone, no idea who, or what the outcome was. Qualifying for the Daytona 500 has taken place, as has qualifying for the support Truck and NBS races at Daytona, but none of those races have yet happened.

It seems I own a team in the Whelen Modifieds: Rising Dragon Motorsports, and am under contract to race in the NBS for Team Strickland (I probably chose them for the Back To The Future reference) for a salary of $28,800 per race, plus 4% of merchandise and 10% of winnings. My teammates there are Rickie Cooper and Morgan Irvin. I have no contract yet for the Craftsman Trucks (although there are 6 contracts on the table) or the Nextel Cup Series (no contracts on the table). My total bank so far is $792,959. I will probably let the Daytona weekend finish before taking up a Truck series contract, or just focus on the two series to move things along a bit (plus NBS is higher-paying than Trucks).

I have not taken part in any Nextel Cup, NBS, or Craftsman Truck Series races yet, and in the Whelen Modifieds Series, I am in 6th place in the championship on 286 points, 69 points down on the championship leader, Rhett Simmons (355 points). My teammates are Alan Walker (8th, 280 points), Nate Beasley (9th, 266 points) and Lou Stanton (19th, 224 points); all after two races.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

It's my first event back in this virtual career. As stated in the last post, I had started the 2008 season, but I seem to have no record of what happened. I have stated that two race meetings have happened in the Whelen Modifieds, and that I am currently 6th in that championship. Those are one-day events. I am not currently cometing in the trucks or Nextel Cup, but I am racing in the NBS championship. This championship has qualifying and racing on different dates. (The claendar allows me to only do one event per day, meaning Whelen Modifieds can clash with either qualifying or the race for NBS but not both.) I have apparently already qualified for the first race of the year in NBS but I have no idea where! I just know from the calendar that the first race is on 16th February 2008, it's The Hershey's Kissables 300 at Daytona, it's a 30-lap race, and the prize purse is $281,803.

Saturday 16th February, NBS, Daytona, Hershey's Kissables 300, race, round 1/35, 30 laps

So I started 37/43. I'm not good at racing in packs so I am quickly sideways and even before turn 1, a yellow flag has been triggered. I am now 41st of 43... And restarting in single-file, not double-file as per the first start. Restart at the start of lap 5. I fall to 42nd having been pushed into the wall. There is a big gap between 41st and 43rd, and I am running in that gap by myself. However, I continued to lose a lot of time, falling further away from the back, and fell to last place. So I pitted for repairs at the end of lap 6 and went a lap down. I always was terrible on these large ovals! Engine still sounded rough, and I was soon lapped by the only car who hadn't put me a lap down during the pit stop. One car retired in the pit lane on around my lap 9, promoting me one place to 42nd. My pit spotter was a bit weird at this point: "Nice pass!" You what, now? I continue falling away further from the pack, driving like Jean-Denis Deletraz. Got lapped again by the pack on my lap 13. Tried keeping out of the way, but still got rear-ended twice, second time was enough to bring out the full-course yellow. So I pit again, just to be sure of damage repair and fresh fuel and tyres (yes, tyres, not tires. Douglas Mann is from the British Isles, not the USA!). At least I don't get a speeding penalty on my way into the pits this time! Restart on lap 18/30. Oh, and I am now only one lap down, not two. Hurrah! I am running by myself, falling away from the pack more slowly than before. It means that repairs on the second pit stop have helped. Everybody else pits on laps 24 and 25 under green, which puts me back on the lead lap, with the leader closer behind me than I am to the penultimate runner in the race. I ended up going a lap down again on lap 28 of my race. Managed to keep out of the way better this time, thanks to a larger field spread, and lifting off while off line. Still, at least I was a runner at the end, albeit in 42nd. I didn't think that was going to happen, listening to the stat of my engine for much of the race.

Anyway...

Earnings

Previous total   $792,959
Contract salary  $ 28,800
Race winnings    $  5,106
Merch income     $    998
New total        $827,863

Key race results (winner, me and teammates)

1. T. Stewart
8. M. Irvin
30. R. Cooper
42. D. MANN

Championship results

Somewhere along the way, I must have done something extraordinary, because I picked up some bonus points along the way. I am 41st in the NBS championship, not 42nd... At least it was worth persevering in the race for that.

So, awful race, but I have a few points on the board, and things can only get better.

Thursday 21st February 2008, NBS, qualifying, California Speedway, Stater Bros. 300, round 2/35, 2 laps

Oh great. Another big oval. But I qualify 4th?! Here's hoping for a good race. Providing I make a decent start and don't get bumped about. I did have some mild understeer in practice and qualifying, but I had plenty of space around me then. I won't at the start...

Saturday 23rd February 2008, NBS, race, California Speedway, Stater Bros. 300, round 2/35, 37 laps

I didn't keep notes during this as much, so a summary. Start 4th, fell to last by lap 3, but with no damage. fight at the back, get damage, full-course yellow, no pit stop. Restart, more damage, but able to hang onto the back of the pack. Pit stop at end of lap 19, including damage repair. At this point, 41st and last of the runners - two cars stopped for good in pit lane. Came out only just a lap down. Everybody else eventually pits, then i manage to pluck off a few proper overtaking manoeuvres towards the end (cleanly!) to end up 34th. For a large oval, and given my result in the last race, this felt kinda decent. Not the greatest, but coulda been worse.

Earnings

Previous total   $827,863
Contract Salary  $ 28,800
Race winnings    $    819
Merch Income     $    998
New total        $858,480

Race winnings feel paultry compared to the last race in Daytona. But hey, I guess the last race was Daytona?

Key race results (winner, me, and teammates)

1. M. Kenseth
11. M. Irvin
31. R. Cooper
34. D. MANN

Key championship positions in NBS

1. Tony Stewart  365 points
5. Morgan Irvin  272 points (-93)
29. Rickie Cooper 148 points (-217)
38. Douglas Mann  103 points (-262)

Wednesday 27th February 2008, Whelen Modifieds, qualifying and race, Martinsville, Appalachian 150, round 3/16, 37 lap race

I like short ovals like Martinsville. And I do alright in these Whelen Modifieds. So here goes!

I qualified 4th out of 22. But I feel more confident about this than the last race in NBS at California Speedway. Because this is a short oval and in Whelen Modifieds. But it has been a long time since I did my actual last race in this, so...

The race

Oh my. Fell to 8th on the start, then slowly overtook my way to the lead one car at a time, usually mid-corner. Took the lead on lap 17. Led for many laps, with the lead varying between 0.25-0.5 seconds. Until lap 33, where I got tapped into a 180-degree spin. No full-course yellows here. Anyway, I managed to spin myself back into 8th. The car is now pulling to the left on the straights, but I'm able to hold my position. A few laps later, some were slowly driving down the left-side of the track, as if to retire to the pitlane. So I am now up to 6th. However, on the final lap, the damage is slowing me too much and I lose 3 positions and end up 9th.

Earnings

Previous total   $  858,480
Contract salary  $        0 (this is my own team, remember?)
Race winnings    $    4,180
Sponsorship      $  155,666
Merch income     $    4,995
New total        $1,023,321

Sorry, but I didn't get any of the results of the winners or my teammates, because I accidently exited the race menu before I looked them up.

Championship positions (accessible away from the calendar and race results)

1. Marvin Humphreys  515 points
5. Alan Walker       450 points (-65)
7. Douglas Mann      434 points (-81)
8. Nate Beasley      408 points (-107)
17. Lou Stanton      351 points (-184)

So those are all the results from February 2008 in the career of Douglas Mann that I can give you for now. The only remaining event is NBS qualifying on Thursday 28th February 2008 from the Redball racetrack, which is one where I think I can go fairly well. We'll find out next time I dump a pile of results on here!
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Re: The pre-F1RWRS/ARWS career of Douglas Mann

Post by dr-baker »

Thursday 28th February 2008, Redball Raceway, Crossroads 200, NBS, round 3/35, qualifying, 2 laps

Pole position. 15.225 seconds. Should suit my style...

Sunday 2nd March 2008, Redball Raceway, Crossroads 200, NBS, round 3/35, race, 50 laps

Douglas Mann led the first half of the race comfortably. He pitted on lap 30 with a 5-second lead, having just started lapping people a couple of laps earlier. 16.409-second pitstop for tyres and fuel. Douglas emerged from the pits having been lapped by the top-5. He soon unlapped himself with passes on the racetrack by lap 36. Others soon pitted, and Douglas started rising up through the pack again. A bit of contact soon brought out the full-course yellows for four laps from lap 40, after which Douglas had regained the lead. Douglas pulled away and won, with only the top-9 of 43 cars unlapped. Douglas had led 38 laps in total, with a winning margin of 3.232 seconds.

Earnings

Previous total   $1,023,321
Contract Salary  $   28,800
Race winnings    $    7,200
Merch Income     $      998
New total        $1,060,319

Championship standings - NBS

1. Tony Stewart   504 points
10. Casey Mears   324 points -180
18. Douglas Mann  293 points -211
32. Rickie Cooper 218 points -286

Thursday 6th March 2008, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Sam's Town 300, NBS, round 4/35, qualifying, 2 laps

32.458 seconds. 15th position. Mid-field start. Douglas was dreading this start.

Saturday 8th March 2008, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Sam's Town 300, NBS, round 4/35, race, 50 laps

Oh dear. Douglas had such good promise in this race. Briefly slipped to 18th on the start, but he kept his nose clean, and from laps 6 to 24, he had a good, clean race, consistently in the top-5 and spent a few laps in the lead. Unfortunately, a bit of contact on lap 24 cost him momentum, which then led to someone further back in the pack spinning him round, and almost immediate engine failure as a result of contact damage. Dammit. Not that he was expecting a good result after qualifying, but when race pace looked good, this was a major blow, especially also after having come from a good result the week before at Redball. Douglas was officially credited with 5 laps in the lead out of 23 laps completed. Douglas was one of only two drivers not to be listed as completing all 50 laps.

Earnings

Previous total   $1,023,321
Race winnings    $      934
Merch Income     $      998
New total        $1,091,051

Championship standings - NBS

1. Tony Stewart   674 points 
14. Casey Mears   406 points -268
21. Rickie Cooper 348 points -326
24. Douglas Mann  335 points -339
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Sorry, I really intended on making much more progress on this during this pandemic, but I feel so bored and apathetic stuck at home that I often nap instead and just can't be bothered. But I just have been bothered with a few more races to take me to the end of March 2008 with this.

Thursday 13th March 2008, NBS, Nicorette 300, Atlanta Motor Speedway, round 5/35, qualifying

30.341 seconds. 8th position. Uh-oh, Douglas can feel another dodgy race coming on!

Saturday 15th March 2008, NBS, Nicorette 300, Atlanta Motor Speedway, round 5/35, race, 48 laps

Well, that was a piece of crap. Kept out of trouble for a whole half a lap. One small bit of contact, but Douglas got away with that. But then the other car, whoever it was, pushed Douglas up into another car, all hell broke loose, and Douglas's car was so damaged while sideways that he had to immediately retire. While at the entrance to the pits of all places!

Race results (Douglas Mann and his teammates)

1. R. Cooper 
13. M. Irvin
43. D. Mann

As an aside, the data for the race says that there were 21 lead changes and a winning margin of 0.006 seconds, with only one caution period for 5 laps (which would have been for Douglas on lap 1). A tight race, obviously. And everybody else finished on the lead lap...

Earnings

Previous total    $1,091,051
Contract salary   $   28,800
Race winnings     $       75
Merch income      $      998
New total         $1,120,924

$75 race winnings?! It was a disasterous race, but still!

Championship positions

1. Tony Stewart   829 points
7. Casey Mears    557 points -272
10. Rickie Cooper 533 points -296
29. Douglas Mann  369 points -460

OK, so I assume my teammates are the one with a different coloured text in the results table? Don't know why Irvin is highlighted in the race results while Mears is in the championship table. But there you go...

Wednesday 19th March 2008, Whelen Modifieds, round 4/16, Lehigh Valley 150, Nazareth Speedway, qualifying and race, 37 laps

26.420 seconds and 10th out of 22 in qualifying. Douglas wished he had spent more time practising...

In the race, Douglas did get up to 6th briefly before dropping down to 11th and fighting back up to 9th again, where he found a gap in the traffic, so for once, he decided that backing off and just keeping himself in a bit of clear air would be the sensible option. As it turns out, this was not a bad choice. Other than passing one car who was slowing down to retire to the pits, Douglas remained in 8th for the rest of the race. By lap 25 of 37, Douglas noticed that the field behind him had massively dropped back, yet the leading pack remained tightly bunched just ahead of him. Douglas still decided that 8th was better than risking a DNF. At least until the final corner, where he took a lunge and finished 7th, knowing that any momentum at that point would probably still carry him across the line...

Positions

1. M Dyer
7. Douglas Mann
9. N. Beasley
12. A. Walker
16. S. Floyd
19. L. Stanton

Earnings

Previous total   $1,120,924
Race winnings    $    9,240
Sponsor income   $  155,666
New total        $1,290,825

Whelen Modifieds championship

1. Marvin Humphreys   675 points
6. Douglas Mann       580 points -95
7. Alan Walker        577 points -98
10. Nate Beasley      546 points -129
19. Lou Stanton       457 points -218

Thursday 20th March 2008, NBS, Sharpie Mini 300, Bristol Motor Speedway, round 6/35, qualifying

15.216 seconds. And it's pole position! Douglas felt happy. He preferred these short ovals with tighter corners.

Saturday 22nd March 2008, NBS, Sharpie Mini 300, Bristol Motor Speedway, round 6/35, race, 75 laps

First 39 laps went fine. Pulled out a 1-second lead and maintained it. Pitted at the end of lap 39, just as the backmarkers were being caught and the 1 second started shrinking. Pulled out of the pits, and struggled to rejoin the track cleanly because Douglas pulled out amongst the new leaders lapping him. The full-course yellow was sent out. The race restarted a few laps later with Douglas on the lead lap, but last. Douglas allowed himself a bit of space as he knew everybody else still had to pit. Unfortunately for Douglas, someone else also made the same mistake on exiting the pits so there was anther full-course yellow. At this restart, Douglas was second, but surrounded by a lot of lapped drivers. He dropped back in the pack a bit and found a bit of open space, yet still running second. The race ended with Douglas in second, 0.869 seconds behind the leader, but with about 4-6 or so lapped cars between. The thrid-placed driver was about another 7 seconds (approx 1/2 lap) behind. Average speed was 99.24 mph.

Positions

1. P.Menard
2. D. Mann
22. R. Cooper
28. M. Irvin

Earnings

Previous total   $1,290,825
Race winnings    $    2,298
Merch income     $      998
New total        $1,322,921

NBS Championship standings

1. Tony Stewart    923 points
9. Casey Mears     642 points -281
10. Rickie Cooper  630 points -293
22. Douglas Mann   549 points -374

Current season stats

Name          Starts  Poles Wins
NBS
Morgan Irvin  6       0     0
Douglas Mann  6       2     1
Rickie Cooper 6       0     1

Whelen Modifieds
Stu Floyd     4       0     0
Lou Stanton   4       0     0
Nate Beasley  4       0     0
Alan Walker   4       0     0
Douglas Mann  4       1     0
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Thursday 3rd April 2008, NBS, Texas Motor Speedway, O'Reilly 300, qualifying, round 7/35

30.108 seconds and 20th on the grid, in a field of 43. Oh dear, Douglas is fearful of another bad round. Why did he choose a series that consisted of a lot of large ovals? Why didn't he stick to the Trucks and Whelen Modifieds? (Although, looking back at last year's final championship standings, Douglas finished second overall in NBS?!?! How?! Douglas was also 2nd at the same stage of the season - early April - so I must be rusty at this game. Wonder if there could be some legit in-game excuse?)

Saturday 5th April 2008, NBS, Texas Motor Speedway, O'Reilly 300, race, 50 laps, round 7/35

Douglas had a clean start and actually managed to complete lap 1 in 19th and with a bit of space in traffic to work with. Occasional successful overtaking manoeuvres saw Douglas up to 17th by lap 10. Lap 11 saw Douglas get tapped sideways as he tried for 16th. Full-course yellows came out, so Douglas decided to take the opportunity to pit for repairs, anticipating that it would drop him to last, albeit on the lead lap, and knowing that he, along with everybody else, would require a further pit stop for tyres and fuel to get to the end. Douglas was hoping that either he would pit under green but stay on the lead lap, then hoping for a full-course yellow that would see him filter to the front as everybody else pitted under yellow; or that he would pit under a second yellow, and he would filter to the front as everybody pitted under greens after the full-course yellows. Douglas remained in 43rd and last for some time. One attempt for the 'coveted' 42nd spot on about lap 17 saw Douglas lose a few seconds to the rest of the field but he soon caught that up again. He decided to stay safe and try to pit under greens on about lap 35. Unfortunately, Douglas spun onto the infield after a tap while going for 42nd on lap 33, causing the second full-course yellow of the race, so Douglas decided to go for repairs, and fresh fuel and tyres. Douglas noticed that nobody else pitted at this stage, so was hopeful that they would all need to pit under green when the race resumed. Although Douglas deliberately dropped back a few cars' lengths for a clean restart on lap 37, the number 33 almost immediately did a 360-degree spin in turn one, requiring another full-course yellow. Douglas again restarted 43rd, implying nobody took the opportunity for a pit stop at this stage. This time, Douglas restarted 42nd, with the 33 the only car behind. Douglas quickly let him go ahead, so he could have free air. Within a lap, everybody else started pitting under green-flag conditions. As they emerged from the pitlane, some seemed rather keen to unlap themselves, so Douglas let them past. Douglas had worked out that second place was secure if he didn't get into trouble, and so he deliberately lost a few seconds to the eventual winner, the number 33 of R. Hornaday, and let them pass. Douglas eventually finished second, 2.063 seconds from the leader.

Selected race results

1. R. Hornaday
2. D. Mann
14. M. Irvin
26. R. Cooper

Earnings

Previous total   $1,322,921
Contract salary  $   28,800
Race winnings    $    4,107
New total        $1,356,826

Selected Championship standings for NBS

1. Tony Stewart   1093 points
4. Morgan Irvin    819 points -274
10. Casey Mears    748 points -345
13. Douglas Mann   724 points -369
14. Rickie Cooper  715 points -378

Overall, Douglas was rather pleased with that result. He didn't mind that he didn't win. He was just glad of a decent result and a decent haul of points that lifted him up the championship table. The yellows admittedly helped, but also the fact that nobody else chose to pit under yellows also played to his favour.

Wednesday 9th April 2008, Whelen Modifieds, Meadow Creek, Market Street 150, qualifying and race, 37 laps, round 5/16

16.332 seconds and pole position gave Douglas a confident feeling about this race. Just needed to defend that lead, that's all he needed to do. No pit stops in this series! Just a small oval, a smaller Pocono.

The race. Douglas maintained his lead from the start, but for the first 12 laps, it was never more that 0.5 seconds. Suddenly, on lap 12, he passed a gaggle of cars going slowly on the inside, so he successfully swooped around them. A lap later, he found himself with a 3.8 second lead! Douglas caught up with the backmarkers on lap 29, and at this stage, Douglas decided to back off by taking wider lines into the bends, because his lead was by now 5.3 seconds. By this end of the race, just following the back of the pack, Douglas won with a margin of 3.565 seconds. Two decent results in two different series in less than a week. Douglas was pleased with that. What happened on lap 12? Douglas didn't know and he didn't care. He wasn't involved, and as far as he cared, it just made winning that much easier, taking the pressure away.

Selected race results

1. Douglas Mann
4. S. Floyd
9. N. Beasley
12. L. Stanton
19. A. Walker

Earnings

Previous total    $1,356,826
Race winnings     $   21,879
Sponsor income    $  155,666
Merch income      $    4,995
New total         $1,539,366

Selected championship standings

1. Clint Ferguson   806 points
2. Marvin Humphreys 784 points -22
3. Douglas Mann     770 points -36
8. Nate Beasley     684 points -122
9. Alan Walker      683 points -123
13. Stu Floyd       629 points -177
20. Lou Stanton     584 points -222
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Thursday 10th April 2008, NBS, Dodge Motorsports 300, Tiburon Raceway, qualifying, round 8/35

12.682 seconds and pole position. Douglas was confident of this one. Providing lapping the backmarkers on such a short track wasn't going to be problematic. Getting in and out of the pit lane might be an issue on such a busy track though. He was just hoping that those words wouldn't come back to haunt him.

Saturday 12th April 2008, NBS, Dodge Motorsports 300, Tiburon Raceway, race, 75 laps, round 8/35

Douglas starting lapping the backmarkers on lap 17, with only a 2.5 second lead. On about lap 20, Douglas got into a small skirmish, but enough to bring out a full-course yellow. For some reason on the restart, Douglas was in the lead, but still had one or two backmarkers to pass. Douglas pitted on lap 43, when his guages said he was only half-way on fuel and tyres, in a 75 laps race. But his car was damaged from the earlier skirmish, and he was just about to hit traffic again, but knowing his car would run better again (the damage had affected the handling), but also knowing that he would go a few laps down on such a short track. Despite coming in with a 2.5 second lead, he was already a lap down by the time he got to his pit box. And he would be stationary for at least another lap... Lap 60 saw Douglas go from 2 laps down to one lap down - he was recouping lost ground, but he still was not sure what everybody else's fuel mileage was like. A brief full-course yellow on lap 65 must have put paid to everyone else's pit strategy, because nobody else pitted under greens, Douglas remained one lap down and ended up 31st and the first of those a lap down. Considering that he was still running at an OK pace, and that he was only half way on fuel and tyres on lap 42, Douglas kinda regretted making that precautionary pit stop under green flag conditions. Definitely cost him a good result on a track where he was strong.

Selected race results

1. K. Wallace
12. R. Cooper
15. M. Irvin
31. D. Mann

Earnings

Previous total   $1,539,366
Salary           $   28,800
Race winnings    $    1,368
New total        $1,570,532

Selected championship standings

1. Tony Stewart    1268 points
13. Rickie Cooper   842 points -426
16. Casey Mears     812 points -456
17. Douglas Mann    804 points -464

Well, that sucked big time. While Douglas was still in close proximity to his teammates points-wise, he was a long way off where he was last year. The tough second season.

Wednesday 16th April 2008, NBS, Basha's Supermarkets 200, Phoenix International Raceway, round 9/35, qualifying

27.987 seconds, pole position.

Saturday 18th April 2008, NBS, Basha's Supermarkets 200, Phoenix International Raceway, round 9/35, race, 50 laps

Clean start. Wasn't pulling away from the field, but rarely being challenged for the lead either. It was around lap 22 or 23 when Douglas got the notification that he was halfway on fuel. He pitted at the end of lap 23 as he was staring to be challenged a bit for the lead, so decided now was a good time for fresh tyres. Douglas came out of the pits 27.5 seconds from the lead and only just on the lead lap. By lap 30, this deficit had reduced to 23.3 seconds. By lap 35, this had reduced to under 20 seconds. If this race remained under green-flag conditions all the way, Douglas felt sure that everybody else would have to pit, and then he would have a clear advantage, even though he was a distant 43rd of 43 at this moment. By lap 40, Douglas was about 16 seconds behind and could see the back of the pack. Douglas sincerely hoped that they were all going to need to pit within the next ten laps! Which they almost immediately do! Douglas eventually retook the lead on lap 45, and by lap 48, his lead was 19.48 seconds, although he was now running in traffic. Douglas knew he could take it easy, so tried to avoid trouble for those last few laps, particularly knowing that his tyres were now more worn than everybody else's. His eventual winning margin was 19.111 seconds. Recompense for the last race, Douglas felt.

Selected race results

1. Douglas Mann
14. M. Irvin
23. C. Mears
35. R. Cooper

Earnings

Previous total    $1,570,532
Salary            $   28,800
Race winnings     $    5,123
New total         $1,605,453

Selected NBS championship standings

1. Tony Stewart    1428 points
2. Jeremy Mayfield 1128 points -300
5. Morgan Irvin    1058 points -370
8. Douglas Mann     994 points -434
17. Casey Mears     906 points -522
18. Rickie Cooper   900 points -528

So, at just about quarter-point of the season, Douglas is still in the hunt for a decent championship position, but the championship itself is looking like a dominition for Stewart at the moment. However, the next NBS race was at Talladega, where Douglas was confident of not getting a good result!

Thursday 24th April 2008, NBS, Aaron's 312, Talladega Superspeedway, qualifying, round 10/35

52.950 seconds and 27th on the grid. Which wasn't bad, considering he was 43rd and last after the first of his two qualifying laps. Still, this is where Douglas is always able to find trouble come the start of the race. 43rd would have been easier to avoid trouble...

Saturday 26th April 2008, NBS, Aaron's 312, Talladega Superspeedway, race, 29 laps, round 10/35

End of lap 1 - 35th, and a bit of door rubbing on the back straightaway. Lap 2 - Douglas fell onto the apron coming off the banking, and got spun round when trying to come back onto the track. Full-course yellow. Douglas decided to pit under the yellows, so he could run quietly at the back, and try to keep out of trouble. On the restart, even without Douglas trying to avaoid trouble, the ret of the field were leaving Douglas behind, at a rate of seconds per lap. The race restarted on lap 6. By lap 11, Douglas was more than 21 seconds from the leader (this had been about 6 seconds at the restart). Everybody else started pitting at the end of lap 14, and a few laps later, Douglas had got into the top-3! But he was needing to pit himself. Fortunately (I think?), at that point, a competitor had rolled, but the big-screen replay did not make it clear to Douglas who it was. Anyway, a full-course yellow was thrown, and Douglas used this chance to change his tyres and refuel. This would mean that Douglas would be at the back of the pack again, but with a less spread out field. The race restarted on lap 21 of 29. Again, Douglas just drifted away from the back of the pack, and ended up just over half-a-lap down at the end of the race, 34 seconds from the lead. No DNFs, so a 43rd place finish. Due to tyre usage and fuel mileage, there was no was any alternative pit strategy was going to work here, so that was it really.

Selected race results

1. T. Stewart
13. M. Irvin
26. C. Mears
31. R. Cooper
43. D. Mann

Earnings

Previous total   $1,605,453
Salary           $   28,800
Race winnings    $       83
New total        $1,635,334

1. Tony Stewart   1618 points
5. Morgan Irvin   1182 points -436
12. Douglas Mann  1033 points -585
14. Casey Mears    991 points -627
16. Rickie Cooper  970 points -648

Wednesday 30th April 2008

Today, there is a clash between race day for the Whelen Modifieds (which has a shorter clanedar and where Douglas is a team boss) and qualifying at Richmond for the NBS. Obviously Douglas went to the Whelen Modifieds race, because he would still b e able to start at Richmond, albeit from last place. Plus the Whelen Modifieds were racing on a track with both lefts and rights, where Douglas excelled, so of course he was going to go!

Wednesday 30th April 2008, Whelen Modifieds, Door County 150, Old Spice High Endurance Speedway, qualifying and race, 25 laps, round 6/16

Pole postion in qualifying. Douglas was quietly confident... Douglas pulled away comfortably at the start, gradually building up a lead of 4 seconds by lap 10. This lead then remained fairly steady at 4 to 4.5 seconds until lap 18, when it started widening again, to 8 seconds by the chequered flag. Simples. Now why couldn't Douglas drive like this on the large ovals?

Selected race results

1. D. Mann
2. N. Beasley
4. A. Walker
8. L. Stanton
14. S. Floyd

Earnings

Previous total   $1,635,334
Race winnings    $   20,743
Sponsor income   $  155,666
New total        $1,816,738

Selected Whelen Modifieds championship standings

1. Douglas Mann   960 points
2. Clint Ferguson 956 points -4
7. Nate Beasley   854 points -106
8. Alan Walker    843 points -117
14. Stu Floyd     750 points -210
17. Lou Stanton   726 points -234
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Friday 2nd May 2008, NBS, Circuit City 250, Richmond International Raceway, race, round 11/35, 62 laps

So Douglas had missed qualifying for this race, but Douglas was comfortable with that decision. He had qualified on pole in his Whelen Modifieds event, then gone on to win the race on the same day and take a slim lead of that particular championship, so it was worth it. Now, he had to race from the back (43rd place) here. It actually proved to be a good first half of the race for Douglas. By lap 27, Douglas had gone from 43rd and last to 2nd, and actually took the lead on lap 30! It wasn't clean all the way though, there had been two caution periods after Douglas had ended up sideways after receiving taps, but had not felt the need to pit after either occasion, having taken the low line round the track as much as possible. All this despite a handling imbalance that kept pulling the car to the right in a straight line, meaning Douglas was constantly having to correctively steer to the left... Douglas ended up halfway on fuel on lap 29, and the tyres were no longer at their peak as he took the lead, so he pitted at the end of lap 32, having shown that he could fight through the field. He hoped to come out of the pits in clean air so he could maximise the advantage of fresh tyres, but also knowing that he could fight here for position. No such luck on coming out on a clear track. Douglas came out towards the rear of the pack, a lap down, and got sideways towards the end of the lap. Douglas used that yellow-flag period to pit for further repairs, just to make sure the car was good for the rest of the race, and to make sure he was at the back of the pack on the restart. Douglas didn't know whether anybody else would need to pit, based on his own fuel mileage and the number of yellows, so he started to fight through the field once again. He got to about 36th when everybody did start to pit on lap 52, and then there was another yellow a few laps later (nothing to do with Douglas this time), which left Douglas 8th on the final restart, and Douglas this time was able to make not much more progress, finally finishing 7th. Given where he started, and how bad he normally is in traffic, Douglas was happy with this result, even if he had led for a lap or two at half distance, just before his pitstop. It was better than he would have bet on prior to the race. The race result sheet at the end spelt out that there had been 5 Cautions through the 62-lap race, lasting for 16 laps in all.

Selected race results

1. R. Hornaday
7. D. Mann
13. R. Cooper
35. C. Mears
37. M. Irvin

Earnings

Previous total    $1,816,738
Winnings          $    1,816
New total         $1,848,352

Selected NBS championship positions

1. Tony Stewart     1788 points (lead of 391 points over Mayfield in 2nd...)
7. Morgan Irvin     1234 points -554
10. Douglas Mann    1184 points -604
15. Rickie Cooper   1094 points -694
21. Casey Mears     1049 points -739

Wednesday 7th May 2008, NBS, Diamond Hill Plywood 200, Darlington Raceway, qualifying, round 12/35

Douglas's first lap in qualifying was faster, at 28.274 seconds. Douglas's car still had the same handling imbalance as in the last race at Richmond, meaning that, even when Douglas was running by himself and trying to keep a low, tight racing line, he was still using the whole width of the race track. He knew that this meant that running in traffic would be hard. Douglas was surprised, therefore, when this converted into pole position! He hoped this would mean that he wouldn't then have to run in traffic, but he coudn't be sure. He would have to be careful if so.

Friday 9th May 2008, NBS, Diamond Hill Plywood 200, Darlington Raceway, race, 36 laps, round 12/35

Douglas's pole position was a false hope. Despite holding a lead around the first bend, Douglas soon fell to third, which he held for a few laps. But this was very much known in Europe at the time as a "Trulli Train", where the leaders were pulling away ahead of him, and everybody else was tightly bunched behind. Naturally, this wasn't to last long, and Douglas was 18th on lap 12. Oddly, this drop in positions didn't cause any contact between Douglas and others, mostly because Douglas was so understeery, he was running so wide and everybody was just passing him on his inside. Douglas did then get into a rhythm, and actually reclaimed a position, moving to 17th. On lap 21, however, it all went wrong. Douglas's fuel gauge only went down to the halfway mark on lap 17 or 18, so Douglas actually started thinking that he might try completing the whole race without a pitstop and hope that others would have to do so. But on lap 21, a number of cars bunched up ahead of Douglas, so Douglas lifted off and tried to drive on the inside of them, but unfortunately, the car couldn't steer enough and Douglas drifted up the racetrack into them, got spun 180 degrees, and had someone drive into him, causing an engine failure. Qualifying had promised so much despite the handling imbalance...

Selected race positions

1. G. Biffle
11. M. Irvin
17. R. Cooper
33. C. Mears
43. D. Mann

Earnings

Previous total    $1,848,352
Winnings          $       87
New total         $1,878,237

1. Tony Stewart   1934 points +451
8. Morgan Irvin   1369 points -565
13. Douglas Mann  1218 points -716
14. Rickie Cooper 1206 points -728
21. Casey Mears   1113 points -821

Wednesday 21st May 2008, Whelen Modifieds, Railway 150, Redball, qualifying and race, 37 laps, round 7/16

No, I haven't missed any events. There is just a gap in the middle week of May for both NBS and Whelen Modifieds. 13.504 seconds and pole position. Slight pull to the right, but no mid-corner understeer which is good. Confident of a good race on a short oval.

The race. From pole, Douglas led every lap and won. Douglas was also just a short distance from beginning to lap people too. A winning margin of 5.469 seconds. Not bad considering the typical lap time.

Selected race positions

1. D. Mann
7. A. Walker
17. L. Stanton
18. S. Floyd
20. N. Beasley

Earnings

Previous total    $1,878,237
Race winnings     $   17,654
New total         $2,056,552

Selected Whelen Modifieds championship positions

1. Douglas Mann   1150 points (24 point advantage)
7. Alan Walker     989 points -161
9. Nate Beasley    957 points -193
16. Stu Floyd      859 points -291
18. Lou Stanton    838 points -312

Not a good season so far for Douglas's teammate Lou Stanton. Every driver has entered every race so far, so Lou Stanton is 18th out of 22, with Kasey Clemons in last on 754 points, 84 points difference between Lou and Kasey.

Thursday 22nd May 2008, NBS, Lowe's Motor Speedway, CarQuest Auto Parts 300, qualifying, round 13/35

31.212 seconds and 20th on the grid. Douglas could foresee an ugly race for him coming up, especially as the car still had the same bad set up as in the last race, where it wasn't driving straight.

Saturday 24th May 2008, NBS, Lowe's Motor Speedway, CarQuest Auto Parts 300, race, 50 laps, round 13/35

Douglas quickly settled into 26th place in the early laps, until he got a wobble on and lost some places on lap 7, dropping to 34th. One drama-free lap later, and Douglas was now 43rd and last. The car was fairly beaten and just clipping the wall at the end of lap 15, while Douglas was in 42nd (having naturally had a physical tussle for that position), was enough to send Douglas into DNF territory with mechanical failure.

Selected race results

5. M. Irvin
22. C. Mears
29. R. Cooper
43. D. Mann

Earnings

Previous total    $2,056,552
Contract salary   $   28,800
Race winnings     $      124
New total         $2,086,474

1. Tony Stewart    2065 points +437
6. Morgan Irvin    1529 points -536
15. Rickie Cooper  1282 points -783
20. Douglas Mann   1252 points -813
21. Casey Mears    1210 points -855

Thursday 29th May 2008, StonebridgeRacing.com 200, Dover International Speedway, qualifying, round 14/35

22.974 seconds and pole position. The car was a bit more manageable this week for Douglas, but still not perfect. He felt that if he could hold the lead, he would be fine, or else it would be another repeat of last weekend. All or nothing.

Saturday 31st May 2008, StonebridgeRacing.com 200, Dover International Speedway, race, 50 laps, round 14/35

Douglas led for the first few laps, but found that it was hard to hold the car on the line he wanted in a consistent manner, which eventually led to unfortunate contact that led to a DNF on lap 8. Douglas was in 15th place by the time this happened. He wished his mechanics could tune this handling problem out of the car...

Selected race results

1. B. Said
13. M. Irvin
19. R. Cooper
42. C. Mears
43. D. Mann

Earnings

Previous total    $2,086,474
Race winnings     $       81
New total         $2,116,353

1. Tony Stewart    2193 points +451
5. Morgan Irvin    1658 points -535
14. Rickie Cooper  1388 points -805
21. Douglas Mann   1291 points -902
22. Casey Mears    1247 points -946

Wednesday 4th June 2008, Whelen Modifieds, Dodge Racing 150, Tiburon Raceway Stadium, qualifying and race, 37 laps, round 8/16

Douglas's favourite race track, because it was so short and thus usually went well there. It was going to be a double header, with the NBS race following on immediately afterwards, which also reduced Douglas's travel commitments that week.

Qualifying - 10.832 seconds and pole position. Of course. But could he keep out of trouble? More likely to win in these than his NBS race car at the moment...

Race - Douglas led the first lap, then his teamamte, Alan Walker led the next two, then Douglas led the rest of the race to the chequered flag. Simples. But Douglas was wondering if the NBS race at this track at the weekend would be as straight-forward...

Race results

1. Douglas Mann
2. Alan Walker
4. Nate Beasley
14. Lou Stanton
15. Stu Floyd

Earnings

Previous total    $2,116,353
Race winnings     $   20,000
New total         $2,297,014

Selected Whelen Modifieds championship standings

1. Douglas Mann    1340 points +148
3. Alan Walker     1164 points -176
6. Nate Beasley    1117 points -223
13. Stu Floyd       977 points -363
15. Lou Stanton     959 points -381

Thursday 5th June 2008, NBS, Dodge Performance 300, Tiburon Raceway Stadium, qualifying, round 15/35

12.632 seconds. Pole position. These cars were a lot less fast around this track than the Whelen Modifieds, must demonstrate how small and tight this race track is! Although this was 5 hundredths of a second faster than in April in the same car at the same track.

Saturday 7th June 2008, NBS, Dodge Performance 300, Tiburon Raceway Stadium, race, 75 laps, round 15/35

Douglas took an early lead. In the Whelen Modifieds race, he had caught up with the backmarkers at the end of the 37-lap race, but there were only 22 cars in that race. Here, Douglas had caught up with the back of the pack on lap 18, as this was a grid of 43 cars. There was briefly a yellow-flag caution on around lap 30. On that restart, Douglas fell to 7th, but fought his way back up to 2nd by the next full-course yellow on lap 42. Douglas thought this would be an ideal time to pit, as he knew his tyres and fuel would definitely not last the distance, and getting some repairs done on such a busy track wouldn't go amiss. And even if the race had stayed green, Douglas had been planning to pit around lap 40 anyway, but had been planning to be in the lead before pitting. But this was as good a time as any. Even if the pit lane was longer than the racetrack itself... The race resumed without any other pit stops, but with Douglas in 12th. Lap 49 saw another yellow-flag caution period, with Douglas having got up to 5th. Douglas retook the lead under green-flag conditions on lap 59. He then had a few laps of clear track running. Then the pit stops for everybody else started, which gave Douglas a much-less densely populated race track for about another 5 laps. Lap 69 saw the final caution come out. Douglas was cynical about this one, because it meant that on the restart on lap 71, he had to briefly fight for the win, but his winning margin ended up being 1.703 seconds, impressive after 4 laps on such a short track, I think. Anyway, only two cars finished on the lead lap, two cars were 1 lap down, 4 cars were 2 laps down, and 20 cars were 3 laps down!12 cars were 4 laps down, while the remaining cars were 5 laps down. Douglas felt quite proud in avoiding damage in such a crowded race that saw4 full-course cautions, not all of which were for him.

Car handling - this track was far too short to really find out if the car was mishandling. Although Douglas did better than in the last NBS race here in April...

Selected NBS race positions

1. Douglas Mann
12. Morgan Irvin
27. Rickie Cooper
41. Casey Mears

Earnings

Previous total    $2,297,014
Race winnings     $    7,200
New total         $2,334,012

1. Tony Stewart   2368 points +496
6. Morgan Irvin   1785 points -583
16. Douglas Mann  1481 points -887
17. Rickie Cooper 1470 points -898
22. Casey Mears   1287 points -1081
MCard LOLA