Max Verstappen
23%
McLaren (reliability)
46%

Total votes: 13

Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Belgium

Post by Londoner »

1. Haas. At this point, we really have to consider how much longer Gene Haas is willing to put up with this. The team is a total laughing stock.

2. McLaren. Norris drove an excellent race and was cruelly robbed on the final lap, whereas Sainz never got a proper crack at it. When was the last time an F1 car ground to a halt on the grid?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
RAK

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Belgium

Post by RAK »

1) Romain Grosjean: That radio chatter said all that needed to be said.

2) McLaren, particularly reliability: Cost Norris a strongly fought fifth place and Sainz a race at all.

Dishonourable mention: Giovinazzi for binning it so close to the end (although this is subject to confirmation that it wasn't a car issue), Verstappen's poor start and subsequent collision.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Haas - They are more bipolar than my ex girlfriend. And that ain't good.

2. Renault - Brought a new spec engine, went back to the old one, put a terrible strategy on Ricky after the initial contact at La Source and the McLaren's suffered 2 power loss failures. Awful.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Sainz's Car: As stubborn as a cat at the vet, just didn't want to play the game today.

Haas "House of pain": Haas are in a pickle, they have to SOMETHING, but do they abandon this year's car, and work on next year's car, or do they try figure out what the problem is, lest they pass it on to next year's car too?

Ferrari and Vettel's strategy: Worked for a handful of laps, but the race is 44 laps.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I nominate Norris' car. :( That was just cruel...
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

1. Norris' car
2. Haas
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

tough one but I have to join in with.

1- Haas. Something has to give soon for the team. More radio chat, more poor performances. I bet the team can't wait for the end of the year

2- Verstappen- He was never going to win the race but a poor start and he should have been a bit more cautious even if his steering had issues.

HM- Mclaren reliability. Norris's car failing on the last lap. Gutting for him.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

1) Haas. Although most of the cars bar Mercedes fell off the pace here, Haas sank like a stone. Grosjean's emo moment was icing on the cake.

2) Mclaren's Power Units. Sainz's car failed to make 2 laps, while Norris's failed on the final lap, costing the team valuable points.

(Dis)Honourable Mentions:
Antonio Giovinazzi (Had a good points haul in the bag, then binned it on the final lap)

Max Verstappen/Kimi Raikkonen (Rather amateur mistakes from the both of them, though I will save my judgement for who was at fault when more information comes available. Regardless of whose fault it was they cost eachother potential podium finishes)
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Max Verstappen: Whether or not the first corner accident was his fault, I'd like to point out that he continued to drive with a clearly broken suspension and very nearly caused another huge accident with Räikkönen when the suspension eventually gave out completely at Raidillon. Especially after what happened on Saturday I find such behavior completely reckless and endangering towards other drivers.

McLaren reliability: Sainz might've picked some damage in the first corner scrap which could be an excuse, but seeing Norris' car parked on the main straight with one lap to go for a nice 5th place was devastating.

Haas: After a good start melted like ice cream in hell.

HM to Giovinazzi: threw away a decent position and made his prospects for next year even worse, but on the other hand those yellows probably sealed Leclerc's victory.

Another HM to Räikkönen: I know you like to race, but what was the point in carrying on when your car was damaged to a point that it was slower than a Williams?
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Since Haas has (rightly) locked up ROTY, I'll stick my neck out with a controversial nomination...

Gasly - I know he's a darling of these boards, but man, Albon made you look bad, son.....
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Psyclepath

Post by Psyclepath »

Verstappen. I was at the race, and his fans dominated the grandstands. He let his fans down today, his line into La Source was always going to get blocked. And he should've pulled off as soon as he realised the steering was broken.

Giovinazzi would've got my vote if I hadn't been there. He ran a strong race until he threw it away, at a point where there was no pressure on him.

Haas - Magnussen tumbled down the order at the start, Grosjean tumbled at the end. They were together on track by the end and not even late-race attrition could bring them points.

Vettel - This one is purely based on the notion he sought to beat Leclerc with his strategy. If so, it reeked of desperation. But I'm not sure this is the case.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

My nominees:

Haas: definitely Haas should be so lucky...
Joe Vinazzi: binning it when he definitely didn't needed that
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Haas.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Because Haas is the winner I'll choose "2nd and 3rd place"

1. McLaren's rotten luck: What an awful time for Sainz to have issues at the start of the race and a heartbreak for Norris to have his at the very end!

2. Verstappen: From hero to zero with his poor start & contact with Raikkonen, which ended his day.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

For me, the absolute Reject of the Race in Spa was whatever caused Norris to go out. I was so happy for the guy, sitting in 5th the whole time and ready to unrejectify himself - which let's face it is every F1 driver's dream - when the car blew up. What a shame!

Seeing as it's only been mentioned once, I have to give a dishnonourable mention to Sebastian Vettel. Thoroughly outclassed by his teammate, and didn't even get onto the podium. The whole Mibbit chat was expecting Ferrari to choke, when it turned out to be just Vettel that was choking.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

That's the poll up! Get your votes in within the next 48 hours :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

With both of their cars stopping completely on the track, causing a double-retirement, it seems very appropriate that McLaren should get the Reject of the Race award for the Belgian Grand Prix. Sainz barely did a few laps, and Norris got robbed of a fifth place, in what I personally think might have been among the best drives of the year. Get those power units sorted, people!