Sauber renamed Alfa Romeo Racing for 2019

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
tommykl

Sauber renamed Alfa Romeo Racing for 2019

Post by tommykl »

kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Sauber renamed Alfa Romeo Racing for 2019

Post by Nuppiz »

Well, it was to be expected at some point. Sad to see the name go but ultimately this should be better for the team in terms of finances and performance.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dinizintheoven

Re: Sauber renamed BMW for 2006

Post by dinizintheoven »

Haven't we seen this situation somewhere before...?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

There is no way that this entity can be considered as a reject team come the Australian GP, is there? Either it is a continuation of the Sauber team, which unrejectified themselves in 1993, or a continuation of the Alfa Romeo team, which unrectified themselves in 1951. This ain't a new team.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

If it's still Sauber Motorsport AG as the company entity on the next FIA Entry List release rather than Alfa Romeo SpA, it's still Sauber. We'll see what the final-final entry list from the FIA looks like.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
mario

Post by mario »

DemocalypseNow wrote:If it's still Sauber Motorsport AG as the company entity on the next FIA Entry List release rather than Alfa Romeo SpA, it's still Sauber. We'll see what the final-final entry list from the FIA looks like.

It is being reported that the ownership and management structure of the team will remain unchanged, which suggests that the company name will potentially remain as "Sauber Motorsport AG". There is also ambiguity over whether the chassis name will be changed too - they would need the other teams to approve that change if they wanted to rename it - so it is possible that the chassis name might remain as "Sauber" too.

In answer to dr-baker's question, therefore, I'd say that the current reports point to this being a continuation of Sauber under a different name.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Alfa Romeo Sauber Engineering

Not an Alfa fan at all, guess I have to find a new favourite team for 2019 and 2020
Waris

Post by Waris »

mario wrote:
DemocalypseNow wrote:If it's still Sauber Motorsport AG as the company entity on the next FIA Entry List release rather than Alfa Romeo SpA, it's still Sauber. We'll see what the final-final entry list from the FIA looks like.

It is being reported that the ownership and management structure of the team will remain unchanged, which suggests that the company name will potentially remain as "Sauber Motorsport AG". There is also ambiguity over whether the chassis name will be changed too - they would need the other teams to approve that change if they wanted to rename it - so it is possible that the chassis name might remain as "Sauber" too.

In answer to dr-baker's question, therefore, I'd say that the current reports point to this being a continuation of Sauber under a different name.

You can't remove Sauber from the team name and keep the chassis name the same, because there is some inane rule that says the chassis name has to be part of the team name. The sooner that is gone, the better. It led to the nonsense we saw last year, where Force India disappeared and was replaced by Force India.

As for my response to this news item, really, what do you want me to say? People get so worked up over a mere name change. It's not a different team. The change is even smaller than that from Minardi to Toro Rosso for 2006. Sauber didn't disappear, they'll still there, and when Alfa Romeo get bored and fed up with F1 like all manufacturers inevitably do at some point (except Ferrari so far), chances are it'll be Sauber again. I already voiced my thoughts on the new team name here: https://twitter.com/jaybeebrtweets/status/1091455660452126722
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Samster

Post by Samster »

Yeah I'm still going to call them Sauber. Its really nothing more than a naming rights sponsor.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Pacific 777 wrote:Alfa Romeo Sauber Engineering

Not an Alfa fan at all, guess I have to find a new favourite team for 2019 and 2020

Beside the pun, this name would sound dangerously close to the most awful byproduct of Alfa's banter era as a state-run taxpayers' money bonfire in the late 70's-early 80's (read: British Leyland, but with the occasional decent car).

sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

novitopoli wrote:Image

My then-flatmate had a Nissan Cherry for a while, when I was young and foolish. It was an awful car. Ah the memories...
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
mario

Post by mario »

So, following a formal vote by the F1 Commission, the renaming of the team and the chassis as Alfa Romeo is now formally approved - it's slightly odd that they called the chassis "Alfa Romeo Racing" rather than just "Alfa Romeo", but that's by the by. The holding company, however, shall retain the name "Sauber Motorsport". https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alfa ... e/4333443/
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Waris

Post by Waris »

mario wrote:So, following a formal vote by the F1 Commission, the renaming of the team and the chassis as Alfa Romeo is now formally approved - it's slightly odd that they called the chassis "Alfa Romeo Racing" rather than just "Alfa Romeo", but that's by the by. The holding company, however, shall retain the name "Sauber Motorsport". https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alfa ... e/4333443/

I really hope they keep the Swiss licence, too.

EDIT: Maybe "Ferrari" is just listed as the engine on the entry list and "Racing" is actually the rebadging of Ferrari, so they will show up as just "Alfa Romeo Racing" on the onscreen graphics.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Waris wrote:EDIT: Maybe "Ferrari" is just listed as the engine on the entry list and "Racing" is actually the rebadging of Ferrari, so they will show up as just "Alfa Romeo Racing" on the onscreen graphics.

It'd be Alfa Romeo-Racing then... surely if they wanted an engineless name they'd just call the engines Alfa Romeos.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I think it bears mentioning that Verstappen and Gasly will be driving "Red Bull Racings" and not simply "Red Bulls" this year. In fact, I believe that's what the 'official' chassis name has been from the beginning - certainly the past few years.

Although I would love "Racing" as an engine rebrand. It'd be the best thing since Megatron. :deletraz:
#FreeGonzo
Waris

Post by Waris »

Simtek wrote:I think it bears mentioning that Verstappen and Gasly will be driving "Red Bull Racings" and not simply "Red Bulls" this year. In fact, I believe that's what the 'official' chassis name has been from the beginning - certainly the past few years.

Which is absolute bollocks and is due to a rule that a chassis name can't be the name of a brand. (Which makes you wonder, what about Benetton then? Maybe that's different because -- just like Haas -- it's also a family name). So in 2005 the chassis started being displayed as "RBR", but I guess Red Bull wanted more brand exposure and FOM said it was okay, but it had to show up as "Red Bull Racing" because that's not the name of a brand. I don't know when this change happened, I think in 2010 they were still showing RBR but I'm not sure about 2011.

None of which changes anything about the fact that general usage doesn't follow this inane FOM rule and everyone else refers to "Red Bull Racing" as "Red Bull" (and "MF1" as "Midland", and "MRT" as "Manor").
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Simtek wrote:I think it bears mentioning that Verstappen and Gasly will be driving "Red Bull Racings" and not simply "Red Bulls" this year. In fact, I believe that's what the 'official' chassis name has been from the beginning - certainly the past few years.

Wasn't that a BBC thing? In America we were always told that Red Bull had to add the "Racing" to the chassis because the BBC couldn't/wouldn't say "Red Bull" over and over because of their advertising rules. So by adding "Racing" it allowed the BBC to just say "RBRs" in reference to chassis. Over here they have always been "Red Bulls". Hell, Speed Channel kept calling Sauber well Sauber during the BMW days.

As for Alfa, the name is fine,but not badging the engines rally really annoys me. Like this years "Aston Martin Red Bull Racing Honda". :facepalm:
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The fact that the new Aston Martin Red Bull team uses Honda engines and the Alfa Romeo team uses Ferrari engines but calls them Alfa Romeo engines, is the primary reason that I love this sport.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Rob Dylan wrote:The fact that the new Aston Martin Red Bull team uses Honda engines and the Alfa Romeo team uses Ferrari engines but calls them Alfa Romeo engines, is the primary reason that I love this sport.

Well in the past we had the BMW-Sauber-Ferrari :D
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Waris

Post by Waris »

Rob Dylan wrote:The fact that the new Aston Martin Red Bull team uses Honda engines and the Alfa Romeo team uses Ferrari engines but calls them Alfa Romeo engines, is the primary reason that I love this sport.

I have not yet seen any confirmation of them rebadging the engine. Of course it makes so much sense that you would just assume they did, but the FIA entry list still lists them as Alfa Romeo-Ferrari, if I'm not mistaken.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Waris wrote:I have not yet seen any confirmation of them rebadging the engine. Of course it makes so much sense that you would just assume they did, but the FIA entry list still lists them as Alfa Romeo-Ferrari, if I'm not mistaken.

In fact, it is Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari.

Yannick

Post by Yannick »

My fandom of Sauber that started way back during an impromptu autograph session at the pitlane on the Thursday afternoon before the 1993 Belgian GP at Spa-Francorchamps and then being overtaken by none other than Peter Sauber himself with his driver JJ Lehto in the passenger seat on the way to the track on Saturday morning on a tiny side road, had come to and end when Kamui Kobayashi left the team years ago. That also coincided with the point in time when I stopped following F1 and only occasionally reading about it since then.
The renaming to Alfa doesn't help reigniting my interest. After all, their road car model Alfasud would roughly translate in my native tongue of German to a "decoction of Alfa". "Delicious", isn't it? ;-)
Yet, if they can repeat a 1950 season based out of Hinwil during one of the coming years, all hats would go off to them, including mine, except I don't really wear a hat. :badoer:
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Yannick wrote:Yet, if they can repeat a 1950 season based out of Hinwil during one of the coming years, all hats would go off to them, including mine, except I don't really wear a hat. :badoer:

I would buy a hat for that.