F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

The place for alternate championships that use real results as a base of forming alternative results, driver careers, and games in general
Normal32

Re: F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition

Post by Normal32 »

The revival of the Tripoli Grand Prix:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7098760
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Well, I'm going to do it in a city that I know is beautiful. A complete powerfest with four straights above 500 metres, including a handy straight fitting in snugly in the 2 kilometre frame that the FIA give for overall straight length, winding it's way around several historic monuments and key buildings in Vientiane, this is the insanely fast and probably suicidal…

Laotian Horsepower Circuit
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

As there hasn't been any new entries for three days, I might as well judge this now, in a suitably opaque and undemocratic style: (I'm terrible at justifying my choices)

DSQ. Gonzalez: Sorry, Kazakhstan's just a bit too democratic, with 3.06 points, not <3.00

DSQ. Normal32: The circuit had to be between 3KM-8KM in length. This one's double that.

8.AdrianBelmonte: being in a quarry, it kind of lacks atmosphere or any kind of elevation, and the corners a bit square for my liking. Plus, those motorway users (admittedly that's mostly IS right now) won't be happy about their road being torn up...

7. TheFlyingCaterham: it's like Baku, but with squarer corners, which spoils the flow of the circuit, and overtaking would be rare as a result.

6. Peteroli34: a bit oddly shaped, with probably a few too many chicanes and hairpins

5. Bleu: it flows nicely and has some interesting, sweeping corners, but is a little repetitive

4. UngcreativeUsergname: the best non-street circuit of the lot, although a bit Tilke-esque

3.Aislabie- reminds me a bit of Sochi, although it is somewhat better in terms of corner diversity, as well as atmosphere (that's not difficult though)

2. WaffleCat; insanely fast, good atmosphere and even offering the government grandstand views

1.Pinkd56: The top four were very close, but I'm personally a fan of the fast, relatively narrow layout present here (especially the kinked straights), and the location on Tripoli's waterfront offers a picturesque location reminiscent of Monaco. That and the fact that there is a good variety of (mostly non-square) corners to offer decent overtaking opportunities over its not-inconsiderable length means it's winner for me!

Therefore it's now Pinkd56's turn to set a challenge for us to try to fathom...
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

This Could Be You wrote:Sorry, Kazakhstan's just a bit too democratic

I'm fairly confident no one has said that before.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

WaffleCat can make one if he wants. He's been eligible for a couple days, actually. I just briefly forgot the rules, even though I'm supposed to be the one running the thing.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Alright. Since I'm allowed to set up a challenge now, I'm gonna do things my way...the psychotic way...

It was Acceptable In The 90s

No, this challenge is not revamping a circuit built in the 1990s. Instead, it's something more insane...

-- Design a street circuit with at least FIVE ninety degree turns. Yes, five.

-- To make things harder, only use actual, demarcated roads. NO carpark shortcuts or usage of footpaths or other loopholes

I'm only truly sorry. I'll also only be able to judge tracks come next Friday given my lovely army schedule, so gimme a little time.

Anyway, good luck! Seriously, good luck.

Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Grand Prix of Manhattan
Not actually as many ninety-degree turns as you'd expect.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Here's a blatant rip-off of (the first sector of) Baku

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7107169
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Nairobi City Circuit: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7107215

Turn 2 might be debatable if it's truly a 90-degree turn but IMO it is.
This Could Be You

Here's my entry, the 6.8KM Auckland Street Circuit, which if my calculations are correct, features 8 90-degree turns:
Your Signature Here

TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Of course, if you want to make a suitable circuit for this the best place for it is in the States, hence why I've gone for a 5.46km circuit in Downtown Los Angeles.

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=628607

Not the most inspiring layout ever in terms of driving, but hopefully the amount of overtaking opportunities available throughout the lap should make up for this.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
UncreativeUsername37

The oft-rumoured Las Vegas track materialises!

Edit: after being confirmed, it's gone Port Imperial, disappointing Las Vegas yet again. We're actually going here.
Last edited by UncreativeUsername37 on 16 Jul 2017, 04:33, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:The oft-rumoured Las Vegas track materialises!
https://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_4576367.html

Hmmm...

In fairness, this sort of thing's bound to happen given how long this has been going now.

Anyway, I would like to present the Twin Peaks street circuit: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7107701

Yes, there are five 90-degree turns there. They may be hard to notice at a glance, but I swear they're there. In fact, there's six of them (ok, some might be, like, 89 degrees but come on, I lost my protractor after I stopped doing tech drawing in school six years ago).
#FreeGonzo
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7107755

The San Fransciscan Grand Prix.
UncreativeUsername37

Simtek wrote:Hmmm...

In fairness, this sort of thing's bound to happen given how long this has been going now.

Anyway, I would like to present the Twin Peaks street circuit: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7107701

Yes, there are five 90-degree turns there. They may be hard to notice at a glance, but I swear they're there. In fact, there's six of them (ok, some might be, like, 89 degrees but come on, I lost my protractor after I stopped doing tech drawing in school six years ago).

Eh, I'll edit the post with a new one. That one wasn't too great anyway.
Gonzalez

Post by Gonzalez »

Why not return to doing a race in the City of Barcelona?

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=629539
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Rankings, with really brief reasons as to why:

10. Bleu -- I said only some 90-degree corners, not ALL 90 degree turns...
9. Gonzalez -- Look at Bleu, but hey, you've got a kink into a chicane, so there's that
8. AdrianBelmonte_ -- Only saving grace would be that luvely last turn, everything else is far too tight.
7. ThisFlyingCaterham -- Got a few things going on, but nothing too spicy.
6. This Could Be You -- You got an ultra-fast thing that I like here, but the turns are not that good to complement it all. Could've used more of Park Road there, buddy.
5. Normal32 -- I might be too kind putting this up here, but come on. It's the best joke track I've seen. Alleyways? Beijing-esque hairpin on the Golden Gate? Freakin' LOMBARD STREET?! It's actually not half bad.
4. Aislabie -- Wonderful first sector with Columbus Circle and the street-circuit version of the Chase, but hardly anything else.

3. UgncreativeUsergname -- Some bits might be boring here and there, but I'm getting all tasty imagining cars hanging on through those long sweeps.

2. CarloSpace -- Some incredible flow here, nice overtaking opportunities, an esses section to die for and limiting the 90's to a well placed technical section. Well done.

1. Simtek -- Oh come on. I can't deny this track all it's wonderful worth. Seriously. I know I don't necessarily like tight mountain esses that are there for show, but your's actually work and it's combined with some good straights for overtaking. Wow, colour me surprised...

Bobby Doorknobs

So, a challenge. Right, well, let's see now.

Choose any Grand Prix venue, past or present. Pick two or three if you want to make it interesting. Street circuits will naturally be easiest, but this should be possible with a lot of purpose-built facilities as well. You are to design a point-to-point course measuring a Grand Prix distance, using existing roadways. That's 305 km, using at least part of your chosen circuit(s). It can be the whole thing, just the start/finish straight, or even a single corner, just make sure it's in there somewhere.

One last thing, no Mille Miglias will be accepted, as the maximum distance will be 500 km.

And... start!
#FreeGonzo
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

This Could Be You

Here's my attempt, the 309KM "Circuit Zolder-Spa-Francorchamps" which features an extremely convoluted method of going between the two circuits passing through Liege, Genk and Maastricht, as well as using both (entirely elgible for the challenge in themselves) circuits in almost their entirety. And no, I am not going to number the corners on the diagram...

(Just to clarify, you start at Zolder, run it in reverse, and also use its pitlane (backwards). Also, apologies for the low accuracy of the route path, although at this scale, it made drawing very difficult.)
Last edited by This Could Be You on 23 Jul 2017, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
Your Signature Here

novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Somehow longer than a full race distance, but still under the 500km limit:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7112185

I swear I had been working on it for a hour at least.

Alternative design, if this one is too long/too close to TCBY's:

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=631722
Last edited by novitopoli on 24 Jul 2017, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Silverstone to Mallory Park
(Guest starring three other motorsport venues and a horse racing track.)

Okay, so I've gone all-in for this scenic route around Motorsports Valley.

We start our journey at Silverstone Circuit, before exiting and heading to Towcester Racecourse (around which we follow the ambulance route). After that, it's full speed ahead to Santa Pod Raceway and Bedford Autodrome in very quick succession. We then go cross-country until we reach Rockingham Speedway. After that, we take a very unorthodox route in order to avoid Leicester, including a brief patch where there would be cars going in opposite directions on each side of the A47 dual carriageway. Finally, we finish with an almost complete lap of Mallory Park.

The race distance? 305.12 km.
TheFlyingCaterham

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=631487

A route blasting through the streets, motorways and speedways of the great Los Angeles earlier. The route starts in Long Beach, winds its way through the 3 airports, downtown, Hollywood, and several motorways before reaching the finish at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana.

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
Bobby Doorknobs

This Could Be You wrote:Here's my attempt, the 309KM "Circuit Zolder-Spa-Francorchamps" which features an extremely convoluted method of going between the two circuits passing through Liege, Genk and Maastricht, as well as using both (entirely elgible for the challenge in themselves) circuits in almost their entirety. And no, I am not going to number the corners on the diagram...

(Just to clarify, you start at Zolder, run it in reverse, and also use its pitlane (backwards). Also, apologies for the low accuracy of the route path, although at this scale, it made drawing very difficult.)

Am I to understand that this is a circuit you've designed? The rules stipulate a point-to-point course, much like the great intercity races of over a century ago.

Anyway, I'd like to ask future entrants not to use Gmaps Pedometer. A couple of people have complained about their tracks taking a long time to load and it is a problem I indeed share. Map Pedometer, as used by TheFlyingCaterham above, seems to be working just fine if anyone wants to use that as an alternative.
#FreeGonzo
This Could Be You

Simtek wrote:
This Could Be You wrote:Here's my attempt, the 309KM "Circuit Zolder-Spa-Francorchamps" which features an extremely convoluted method of going between the two circuits passing through Liege, Genk and Maastricht, as well as using both (entirely elgible for the challenge in themselves) circuits in almost their entirety. And no, I am not going to number the corners on the diagram...

Am I to understand that this is a circuit you've designed? The rules stipulate a point-to-point course, much like the great intercity races of over a century ago.

Anyway, I'd like to ask future entrants not to use Gmaps Pedometer. A couple of people have complained about their tracks taking a long time to load and it is a problem I indeed share. Map Pedometer, as used by TheFlyingCaterham above, seems to be working just fine if anyone wants to use that as an alternative.

Back to the drawing board... (this is what I get for skim-reading the rules):facepalm:

I'll figure out mappedometer too, as Gmaps Pedometer nearly killed itself when I added the circuit extension around Maastricht when the original was 16KM too short.
Your Signature Here

This Could Be You

Right, here's my replacement entry, the 305.6KM Zolder-Nivelles-Baulers-Spa-Francorchamps course, which as the name suggests uses parts of every post-war venue of the Belgian GP on its route (this includes the old Spa Circuit, as well as the current layout).
Your Signature Here

Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

Circuit Gilles Villeneuve - Circuit Mont-Tremblant

My Attempt at a very Quebec Point-To-Point Circuit, Starts at Montreal (Which is somehow connected to an overpass onto a bridge) then follows highways, roads, small towns, In Huberdeau there is a extreme hairpin which then goes out towards Saint-Agathe Des Monts (Former host town of Rallye Defi AKA Rally Canada WRC 1978 +Points for other FIA Championship inclusion) Towards the First Circuit that hosted F1 in Canada ending on the start straight.
http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=631586
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
UncreativeUsername37

Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=632524

Silverstone to Rockingham, onto Ford's Denton test track and special surfaces test track and passing close to my home borough, and then onto Brands Hatch.

(I know that this technically passes through the concrete wall around the outside of Rockingham's Turn four, but I thought that that could be replace by a gate as you get at Brands Hatch as you go from Colin Chapman Way onto Paddock Hill Bend.)

Length: 333.3334km! Tried to get to 333.3333, but my clicking just wasn't that accurate...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7115400

420 kms from Fair Park to Circuit of The Americas
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I had a nice route all mapped out...and gmap-pedometer decided to refuse to let me save it. I'll try again tomorrow.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Bobby Doorknobs

watka wrote:I had a nice route all mapped out...and gmap-pedometer decided to refuse to let me save it. I'll try again tomorrow.

Yeah, Gmap Pedometer has been causing a lot of problems for people doing this challenge; I'd suggest using Map Pedometer instead for this one, as it doesn't seem to have as much of a problem in handling these mammoth tracks.

On an unrelated note, I'd like to point out that AdrianBelmonte's entry, as awesome as it is, falls well short of the minimum length and is a circuit, not a point-to-point course.
#FreeGonzo
Gonzalez

Post by Gonzalez »

After spending 2 nights trying to do a point to Point Circuit, I have now suddenly given up as it appears the program that I was using had reached it's limit. It was on a different program called WalkJogRun as the Map Pedometer one refuses to cover on highway roads.
TheFlyingCaterham

Gonzalez wrote:After spending 2 nights trying to do a point to Point Circuit, I have now suddenly given up as it appears the program that I was using had reached it's limit. It was on a different program called WalkJogRun as the Map Pedometer one refuses to cover on highway roads.

For Mappedometer, you should be able to use the highway roads if you click the drive option, or at the very least the straight line option would be sufficient, though time-consuming.

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I managed to get gmaps-pedometer working, albeit with a bit of the straight line tool.

Paul Ricard to Mont Ventoux via Ledenon

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7116800
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:I managed to get gmaps-pedometer working, albeit with a bit of the straight line tool.

Paul Ricard to Mont Ventoux via Ledenon

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7116800

I think some of the roads you used in Avignon are very narrow indeed. Although I like the fact that you went through a proposed, but ultimately unused, DTM street track on the west side of Avignon. It was proposed in the days Jean Alesi was in the series, as this was (is?) his home town.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA