Alt NASCAR 2004 - Subway 400 Results Up!

Archive for the three above subforums
This Could Be You

Re: Alt NASCAR 2004 - Speedweeks Starting!

Post by This Could Be You »

Salamander wrote:PPI MOTORSPORTS
You know the drill.

Speed: 75-90 - 88!
Consistency: 75-90 - 88!
Strategy: 80-95 - 92!

PPI Motorsports are now $210k in debt.

Ah, it appears my budget sums were a bit off. Still, no matter- if we get both our cars in the top 20 at Daytona, we'll have already broken even, and a team called "PPI" owing money seems strangely appropriate... :P
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Salamander

Re: Alt NASCAR 2004 - Speedweeks Starting!

Post by Salamander »

JEFF BURTON TAKES POLE FOR DAYTONA
In a supreme showing of Roush performance, Jeff Burton qualified his #99 car on pole position for the 2004 Daytona 500. This is only the 3rd time Burton has ever qualified on pole in his 10 seasons of full-time competition. Joining Burton on the front row will be 2000 Cup champion Bobby Labonte. Fords dominated the front of the pack though, with all 5 Roush cars within the top 8, with the Ganassi and Wood Brothers cars of Jamie McMurray, Casey Mears, and Ricky Rudd all in the top 9.

Results of note include Mears, who is running only part-time this year, qualifying 6th fasest. Veteran former Cup champion Bill Elliott, who has retired from full time competition, qualified 11th, while Steve Park, who didn't even have a drive lined up until the very eve of qualifying, was 18th fastest. Derrike Cope took a surprising 22nd, while at the other end of the grid, Hendrick Motorsports must be scratching their heads as Brian Vickers and Johnny Benson could only manage 46th and 52nd.

Full qualifying results
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Alt NASCAR 2004 - DAYTONA 500 QUALIFYING UP!

Post by CarloSpace »

Is it possible to have some extra info like team/manufacturer in the result sheet? :)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

CarloSpace wrote:Is it possible to have some extra info like team/manufacturer in the result sheet? :)

Sure, I can look into adding that.
Everything's great.
Samster

Post by Samster »

I know we are stuck with budgetmobiles at the moment but yesh Hmiel! Last place and four tenths off your teammates on a track where the driver shouldn't make a difference. Not a great start for his rookie season. :facepalm:

BTW how are you running qualifying with more than 42 AI cars? Did you run each car separately in their own session?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Samster wrote:BTW how are you running qualifying with more than 42 AI cars? Did you run each car separately in their own session?

I split the field into two groups, and manually set the weather conditions so neither group got an advantage. Then I just manually edited the export file to include both.
Everything's great.
Salamander

Re: Alt NASCAR 2004 - Twin 125s complete!

Post by Salamander »

ROUSH CONTINUES DOMINATION IN TWIN 125 RACE 1
With 4 Roush cars in the top 4 spots, the 1st Twin 125 was perhaps always going to be dominated by the team, and Daytona 500 polesitter Jeff Burton did not disappoint, leading 39 of 50 laps. However, Mark Martin once again showed that experience matters, and managed to jump his teammate in the pitstops to take his 2nd win in 2 races at Speedweeks.

Pitting was the defining moment in Race One, as many drivers managed to work longer stints into track position benefits. The biggest beneficiary of this had to be hitherto unknown German Quiroga, driving for Andy Petree Racing. Quiroga was on the bubble of being locked into the Daytona 500 all day, but pit strategy got him up as high as 3rd, before finishing 4th. Kenny Wallace also managed to race his way into the field for BelCar Motorsports, while disappointments include rookie Brendan Gaughan, who finished 21st, and 2002 Daytona 500 winner Ward Burton, who was 26th.

Full race results

MEARS SURPRISES IN TWIN 125 RACE 2
The hope for Race 2 was, that with only one Roush Racing Ford in the field, that another team's driver would be able to come through and take victory. What nobody expected though, was for part-timer Casey Mears for Chip Ganassi Racing to take the lead on lap 1, and proceed to lead all but 4 laps en route to a well-deserved win. Matt Kenseth had to settle for 2nd, while Ganassi satellite teams performed well too, with 1990 Daytona 500 champion Derrike Cope (Front Row Motorsports) 3rd, Jeff Green (Haas-CNC Racing) 4th, and Travis Kvapil (Jasper Motorsports) 12th. Reigning CART Champion Paul Tracy finished a respectable 9th, while Sarah Fisher also used some brilliant late passing moves and pit strategy - running 44 laps on a single tank of fuel - to move from 20th to 11th in the final 10 laps.

However, the story in race two was not so much who locked themselves into the race, but who did not. Brian Vickers and Johnny Benson continued to struggle for Hendrick Motorsports, finishing 16th and 26th, Vickers just barely missing the cut for his first Daytona 500 - they will have to rely on provisionals to make the grid. The entire Robert Yates Racing stable also struggled massively, including 3-time Daytona 500 winner Dale Jarrett. They finish 22nd, 23rd, and 24th. Fan favourite Dale Earnhardt, Jr. also struggled and could manage no better than 19th, while Jimmie Johnson also struggled to find pace in his Richard Childress Chevrolet, finishing 21st. 2-time and defending Daytona 500 champion Michael Waltrip retired on lap 42 with gearbox issues - he was running in a top 15 position until then.

Full race results

This means the full field for the Daytona 500 has been set - you can find the starting lineup below. Positions 1 and 2 were set by qualifying time, 3-30 set by finishing order in the Dual 125s, 31-38 were set by fastest qualifying time of those not already in the grid, while 39-43 were set by provisionals and owner points from the end of 2003. I won't make a press release for this - I want the headline to be something of a surprise. :P

Full Daytona 500 grid
Everything's great.
This Could Be You

This is going rather well for PPI- we've been the most consistently competitive Dodge team so far, and we've had a car in the Top 10 in every session so far this season (Park's been especially impressive considering the short notice of his signing).

In fact, even BelCar hasn't been as execrable as expected either; we haven't been last any session this year, and our race pace is pretty good.

(I am aware that I have now jinxed my form for the rest of 2004)
Your Signature Here

andrew

Post by andrew »

For once in these games I seem to have a competitive car, it looks as though the ford is the best car around at the moment. Very happy with the Duels and shootout results so far, but the points are rewarded in the race. We shall have to see how we perform, looking promising so far.
Samster

Post by Samster »

#PrayForYates :lol:
Salamander

Re: Alt NASCAR 2004 - DAYTONA 500 RESULTS UP!

Post by Salamander »

TONY STEWART WINS FIRST DAYTONA 500
It took until lap 182 of the Daytona 500 for the Roush domination of Speedweeks to be broken once and for all, as Tony Stewart used the lapped car of Steve Park as a pick to take the lead for the final time from Jeff Burton. Burton, who had led 120 of 200 laps, settled back in behind the 2002 Cup champ, but would be delayed further by more lapped cars a handful of laps later. He would never again be able to challenge the #20 car, eventually finishing 3rd, 1.2 seconds behind, after being pipped to the line by Dave Blaney, in an impressive debut for Chip Ganassi Racing. Ricky Rudd and Jacques Villeneuve rounded out the top 5, with Greg Biffle, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Jeff Green, Michael Waltrip, and Derrike Cope rounding out the top 10.

A major development in the race occured early, as the first caution was brought out on lap 42 for a crash in turn 3 involving Paul Tracy and Jeremy Mayfield. Sarah Fisher also suffered some damage in the incident, but the big problem came afterwards. A number of cars, including Matt Kenseth, Jamie McMurray, Bill Elliott, German Quiroga, Terry Labonte, Kevin Harvick, Brendan Gaughan, and perhaps most confusingly, the damaged car of Paul Tracy, elected to stay out under caution. This proceeded to string out the field quite a bit, as many of these cars ran out just after taking the restart. It also had the effect of enabling Jeff Burton to dominate the next portion of the race, as he was able to link up with his teammate Matt Kenseth, after Kenseth pitted, as well as a few other lapped cars, and worked together to keep the chasing pack at bay.

This status quo continued until lap 75, when, as he was beginning to close down on Burton, Sterling Marlin encountered the damaged Paul Tracy. The two made contact entering turn 1, triggering an accident which also involved Carl Edwards and Bill Elliott. On the restart, Jeff Burton was again able to break away with a small group, but this time, Jeff Green, Dale Earnhardt Jr., and Tony Stewart were able to maintain contact with the dominant #99 car. It was during this stint that Stewart established himself as the main contender to beat Burton, as after 116 laps of racing, he was the first car to pass Burton for the lead, having used a lapped car as a pick to do it. Stewart led until green flag pitstops a few laps later, when Jeff Green managed to used pit strategy to elevate himself into a position where he could receive drafting help to maintain a comfortable cushion over the others.

Eventually, though, Burton retook the lead on lap 132 - just before the 3rd caution was triggered by a pair of spins. One involved the lapped cars of Christian Fittipaldi and Jeff Gordon, while the other involved top 10 cars Kenny Wallace and Mark Martin. A number of other cars, including the fairytale story car of Steve Park, who was running well in the top 10 all day to that point, were also involved. Burton, Green, Stewart, Earnhardt Jr., and Ricky Rudd were able to break away on the restart, with Green retaking the lead on lap 139. Stewart retook the lead a few laps later, and from there the race was largely a duel between himself and Jeff Burton.

Worthy commendations go to Jacques Villeneuve, who acquitted himself extremely well in his first oval race - the former F1 World Champion showed a great ability for staying out of trouble and proved he had a knack for manipulating the draft as well. He will surely be a top contender for Rookie of the Year. The Wood Brothers deserve a mention for showing a strong competitive package throughout Speedweeks; one hopes this is the sign of revived form longtime fans have been hoping for for years. Finally, Front Row Motorsports deserve a pat on the back - the newcomer part-time effort have shown strong pace throughout Speedweeks and picked up a well-deserved top 10 for their efforts.

Full race results
Full championship standings
Everything's great.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Kyle Petty finished 12th? And on lead lap? Didn't see that coming after those horrid qualifying races!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

RUMOUR ROUNDUP
jayski.com wrote:More night races? Triple Points for the Daytona 500? more Fox ideas: More night races and the Daytona 500 counting more than any other race are some of the ideas David Hill, Fox Sports Television Group chairman, says he'd like to see NASCAR enact. Hill, whose network broadcasts the first half of the NASCAR schedule, admits his ideas are not likely to be followed...

jayski.com wrote:Honda and Nissan next? A couple of unnamed major team owners both expect Honda to make a move into NASCAR soon, and one said he also expects Nissan to make overtures, following the entry of Toyota in the Craftsman Truck Series...

jayski.com wrote:NASCAR Looking at Europe? Brian France has been looking at Europe as a possible market for NASCAR, perhaps a NASCAR-branded series, to help pump up TV ratings over there. No word on if any Nextel Cup races are being considered...
Everything's great.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

After the fiasco at Daytona, the 30 and 31 drivers will be switched around for the remainder of the season
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
This Could Be You

Well, that was a disaster (shouldn't have rated our chances), but at least we have decent pace and were only let down by appalling luck . However at least PPI have nearly broken even...

Also, I am in awe that Kenny Wallace managed to get the BelCar machine inside the top 10 at some point in the race from right at the back. How did that happen?
Your Signature Here

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

This Could Be You wrote:Also, I am in awe that Kenny Wallace managed to get the BelCar machine inside the top 10 at some point in the race from right at the back. How did that happen?

He just worked his way forward throughout the first half of the race quite well. Wallace is a pretty good plate racer, and they are a good equalizer of performance, assuming your aero and engine packages are in the ballpark.
Everything's great.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

EDIT: Unfortunately, I am not able to get the cars to arrange themselves into the proper grid order, so instead I will run another qualifying session will all 43 cars to set the final grid.

ROOKIE EDWARDS TAKES FIRST POLE AT THE ROCK
Richard Childress Racing did not waste time in responding to a disappointing Daytona 500, in which last year's vice-champion Jimmie Johnson DNQ'd on his debut with the team. Edwards and Johnson swapped teams, and both responded well, with Edwards taking pole for only his 2nd career Cup series race, with Johnson qualifying 6th.

Chevrolet fought back in qualifying here, with 6 of the top 9 using Chevy power - besides Edwards and Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, and teammates Jacques Villeneuve and Joe Nemechek all qualified towards the front. Ricky Rudd was the fastest Ford, qualifying on the front row, with Kurt Busch the fastest Dodge in 11th.

Provisionals: Sterling Marlin, Hideo Fukuyama, Ward Burton, Travis Kvapil, Christian Fittipaldi
Full qualifying results
Everything's great.
thor97

Post by thor97 »

Much better qualifying session from Gordon
Fernando Alonso wrote:The Engine Feels good
Much Slower than Before
Amazing
Salamander

Re: Alt NASCAR 2004 - Subway 400 Results Up!

Post by Salamander »

HARVICK CLOSES OUT AT ROCKINGHAM
In the dying stages of the Subway 400, the race seemed to be between either Kurt Busch, who had dominated the final third of the race, leading 79 of the final 130 laps, or Dale Earnhardt Jr, who had led the most laps of the race at 114. The pair were nose to tail for lap after lap, with Busch able to fend off any advance made by the #8 car. However, what neither driver was counting on was Kevin Harvick, who in the final 20 laps moved from 5th to 1st, making a series of decisive overtakes, taking his opponents unaware. With the lead in hand, Harvick then fended off Jeremy Mayfield, the Roush driver following Harvick in his advance through the field, but unable to topple his final opponent, as Harvick took his 5th career with for Richard Childress.

Behind Mayfield was a frustrated Dale Earnhardt Jr., who had had the best car all day but was unable to move to the front of the field when it counted. Daytona 500 winner Tony Stewart continued a strong start to the season by finishing 4th, with Johnny Benson posting his first top 5 for Hendrick Motorsports in 5th. Polesitter Carl Edwards led only 2 laps, but was a strong top 10 runner all day on his way to 6th. Kurt Busch wound up mired in traffic in the final laps and fell to 7th, with Bobby Labonte in 8th the last of the lead lap cars. Joe Nemechek and, surprisingly, Kenny Wallace, picked up the final top 10 positions, with Wallace showing some very calm and measured driving to take a valuable top 10 for BelCar.

The race was marred by multiple spins and crashes, with ultimately only 23 cars making it to the finish - a number of those several laps down due to damage. This enabled strong performances from those such as Kenny Wallace, as well as an impressive run from Jimmy Spencer to 17th, after missing the Daytona 500.
Full race results
Full championship standings
Everything's great.
This Could Be You

Well at least BelCar's doing well now (that complimentary pen has really helped Kenny's form!), although I wasn't expecting them to be ahead of PPI at any stage (this season has been a bit of a disaster so far- we keep wrecking due to poor qualifying or just awful luck, but we have pace)
Your Signature Here

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

RUMOUR ROUNDUP
jayski.com wrote:F1 Team Boss Disses NASCAR, UPDATE now plans to attend a race: McLaren boss Ron Dennis is no fan of NASCAR, with its lines of growling stock cars rumbling bumper-to-bumper around ovals for hours on end. "You know one single thing that really, really upsets me?," he said last month when the talk turned to Formula One's commercial future. "It's every time that I read about NASCAR. It's just amazing. I mean they are just full up. Every race is full up, they've got more income, more television revenue and it's boring as hell.
UPDATE: Why has McLaren principal Ron Dennis scheduled a trip to a NASCAR race? The English F1 boss reckons the US-based stock-car oval series is 'boring as hell' but they've got more spectators at the races and more cash flowing-in. He told Reuters: "[NASCAR] is working and yet we've got a much better show. If something is as successful as that then you'd be a fool if you didn't go and try to understand what the ingredients are." Most F1 pundits are dismissive of the stock-car technology but Dennis and managing director Martin Whitmarsh intend to keep a keen-eye on the circus

jayski.com wrote:NASCAR Pushing Older Drivers out or to Part-time? As long as the sponsors and team owners were satisfied with the driver's performance, he could race as long as he wanted [in the past]. But that's about to change. And the pressure to kick the aging cans of veteran drivers isn't coming so much from the owners or sponsors. It's coming from NASCAR. "NASCAR has suggested to many, many people that some drivers cut back to partial schedules," says Rusty Wallace, 47. "That might happen one of these days." And that came from NASCAR? "Yes," Wallace says. "One main NASCAR official suggested, 'Why don't you run a partial schedule? There's nothing wrong with a partial schedule.' " OK. Although there have been 100 races since he last won, at California in 2001, what right does anyone in Daytona have to tell Wallace, the 1989 champion, when it's time to hang up his helmet?
Everything's great.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

MAYFIELD MAKES IT TO POLE
After twice qualifying in the top 5 to start the season, Jeremy Mayfield captured his first pole for new employers Roush Racing for the UAW-DaimlerChrysler 400. It was not a landslide for Roush, though, as 2 of their cars qualified outside the top 15. Jeff Burton wound up with the 19th starting position, but the big story is that Matt Kenseth made a mistake on both of his qualifying laps and will have to start from the 43rd position on Sunday. Although not everything went Roush's way during qualifying, Ricky Rudd was able to help secure the top 3 starting positions for Ford, by placing the Wood Brothers on the outside front row - had Rudd found a little over a hundredth of a second, it would've been the Wood Brothers' first pole in 20 years.

Joe Gibbs Racing had a strong qualifying, with all 3 cars starting within the top 10, with championship leader Tony Stewart leading them from 6th. Pole sitter king Ryan Newman also made his first appearance in the top 10 in qualifying this year since switching to Bill Davis Racing over the off-season. Further down the grid, IndyCar convert Sarah Fisher impressed with an 18th-place starting position for SCORE Motorsports, while Jason Leffler makes the first start this year for BACE Motorsports. Both Petty cars failed to qualify for the 2nd straight race.

Initial qualifying results, including provisionals and DNQs
Final qualifying results
Everything's great.
Neno

Post by Neno »

We qualified great