2017 Bahrain Grand Prix - Reject of the Race

Post by IceG »

(i) Honda - this is getting silly
(ii) Palmer - what needs to be said

HM - Sainz vs. Stroll
Meatwad

Re: 2017 Bahrain Grand Prix - Reject of the Race

Post by Meatwad »

1. Carlos Sainz, Jr.: What the bathplug was that? The dumbest move by anyone this year (so far).
2. Räikkönen's strategy: The team waited too long to pit him, costing him the opportunity to fight Bottas for third. He could easily have made his tires last anyway.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

a) STR drivers - made complete fools out themselves all day long
b) That shot of the lasses during the start replay - not needed, FOM, really not needed
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1- Toro Rosso drivers- Well that was Pathetic- bet Riccardo and Verstappen are scared stiff...

2- Honda- pure pathetic- and they are not even sorry about it.

Hm- Palmer- Dead Last. Spent the entire race fighting with a slow Mclaren and the Saubers thrashed him
Rakkionen- the iceman is frozen. Permanent 4th place??
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

RoTR
1. McHonda: they haven't looked this bad since early 2015, how's that for progress?
2. Palmer: It looked like he had turned a corner in qualifying (in the early laps, he was even an IIDoTR contender) but instead he did a Gutierrez and flattered to deceive badly during the race.
DHM:
Stroll: closed the door unnecessarily again resulting in a third DNF in a row. He is beginning to become a liabilty for Williams.
Sainz: Despite this, he did brake a bit late, especially on cold tyres
Hamilton: getting that penalty was a bit stupid to be honest, and ruined his race (I'm not complaining though :P )
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
girry

Post by girry »

1. McLaren Honda - normally I don't do this because it's so common for them, but today they damn well deserve the nomination.
2. Carlos Sainz jr - that was just dumb, but his comments about the accident were even dumber.
when you're dead people start listening
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

1. Carlos Sainz, Jr. - Nice divebomb there, bud. :facepalm:

2. Jolyon Palmer - Pissed away a great points chance after getting into Q3. It even looked slightly intentional.

------

HM: Honda. I'm already staring at 2017's ROTY in the face. Note that I did NOT say McLaren-Honda.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Now, I want to say Palmer. Really I do. And I also want to say Sainz. However...

All sixteen points to McHonda please.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

1. Honda - Seriously, bathplug Honda.

2. Carlos Sainz Jr - Dumbest move of the season so far, not what we've come to expect from him at all.

Honourable mention to Jolyon Palmer. You have to wonder how much patience Enstone has...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

1) Both Toro Rosso drivers - we'll see what the stewards say, but from onboard it looked like he was always going to understeer into the side of Stroll given how tight his line was and how much speed he was trying to carry into the corner in his attempt to get past.

As for Kvyat, he didn't exactly cover himself in glory either - whilst he didn't have a race ending moment, there were some very clumsy moments in that race that made it look as if he was pushing the car a bit too hard in his attempts to get past other drivers.

2) McLaren-Honda - there was talk that Alonso was having some very terse conversations with Hasegawa just before qualifying, and I can't imagine that the atmosphere is getting any better after today. With Vandoorne not even making it to the grid and Alonso being extremely unhappy about how low on power he was, it really feels more like a question of when rather than if this comes to a head.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

1. Sainz. Idiot.
2. Palmer. His dad loves him.

I haven't the heart to pick McLaren - it would be cruel. While you're in the States Fernando see if you can get your signature on something.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

1. Carlos Sainz Jr. - I have been very impressed with him since last season, so I wasn't expecting something as dumb as what he did today.
2. Hamilton's brake-testing - There's slowing and then there's brake-testing, and brake-testing isn't sportsmanlike in my opinion.

HM. McLaren-Honda - the whole thing isn't even funny, it's just depressing.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Carlos Sainz - There was no way he was gonna pass Stroll

Honda - Its Honda thats all i can say
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Honda: Embarrassing.

2) Carlos Sainz, Jr.: A sloppy and overreaching move that ended up ruining Stroll's race.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

1. Carlos Sainz Jr - Damnit Carlos, you were the chosen one :(

2. Gustav Malja - His antics in qualifying put him on the back foot for the rest of the weekend, and was so clumsy they deserve a mention here
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

1. Sainz. Painful move from someone you don't expect dumb moments from.
2. Palmer. Just so slow. Hulkenberg is a great driver but he is setting the benchmark for where the Renault should be and 5 places different is just not good.

DHM to Hamilton for the blatant brake testing. That could have cost him the win.
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

1) Carlos Sainz Junior.

2) People nominating McLaren-Honda for ROTR.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

1 - Sainz Jr: What a bad move. He simply t-boned Stroll's car. Second race in-a-row doing something stupid (in the China, he hit the barriers while trying to recover from spin in the first lap). I doubt Renault will consider him to replace Palmer if he keeps doing things like this.

2 - McLaren: Fighting with Sauber, Palmer and others in the bottom of the field all weekend. Second double DNF in-a-row. No wonder Alonso opted to run in Indy 500.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Stoll - Admittedly today wasn't his fault, but he failed to finish again, when his retired teammate nearly went P4. Perception is reality. Terrible start to the season, coupled with one of the worst winters ever, has NBC commentators openly calling Williams a one car team.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. McLaren-Honda; really outdoing themselves recently
2. Jolyon Palmer; qualifying was a fluke, which says a lot considering he didn't even beat his teammate
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

10 - Lewis Hamilton - It cost him a win for something so silly.

6 - Carlos Sainz Jr - Yeah Honda are bad but you know they are going to be bad. Just a silly collision from Carlos.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

1. Honda. Like, c'mon. Seriously. What are you guys even doing here?

2. Sainz. Nope, that move would have never worked even if Stroll did give you the space.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
James1978

Post by James1978 »

1. Sainz - channelling his inner Maldonado. I do miss the Reverend sometimes. :)

2. Hamilton - doing that to get that penalty was not only costly but the last thing you would expect for someone with his record. Plus if he'd not messed up in qualifying he'd have been in front of Bottas and not in a position to need stacking.

McLaren Honda's form is nothing new so they're on for RoTY rather than individual races!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

1. Carlos Sainz: doing a Maldonado. :facepalm:

2. Honda's power unit: 'nuff said
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

1 - Sainz - That was the most Rejectful thing I've seen for a while (and I feel guilty because my first thought was that it was Kvyat). Epically awful.
2 - Palmer - Damn you Jolyon I thought you'd turned a corner when in fact you were just going round the bend.
Just For One Day...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

1. Honda - Vandoorne doesn't get to the grid, Alonso's lasts long enough for all his rants to go out on air before failing also.
2. Palmer - gets best qualifying to date, still finishes last (and I suspect most of the retirees would have finished ahead of him too)
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

1. Jolyon Palmer - Wasted a decent qualifying. There are much more deserving drivers out there.
2. Lance Stroll - While not his fault, it's still his third DNF in a row. And he is being thrashed by Massa anyway.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

1. Sainz - Stupid move and he even complained about Stroll afterwards in the radio. You should just admit your mistake when it's 100% your fault :facepalm:

2. Räikkönen strategy - Ferrari boys should get their act together in order for both cars to score podiums.
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

I would really, really like to say Vandoorne,Stroll,Sainz or The Deadbeat Teammate Palmer but
All Sixteen points to McDonalds Powered by Honda.
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Sainz: for obvious reasons
Palmer: battling with the Mchonda while your teammate is some 30 seconds up the road. Not good Jolyon
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

And here are the results!

1. Carlos Sainz Jr. - 185
2. McLaren-Honda - 130

3. Jolyon Palmer - 64
4. Lewis's Hamilton('s antics) - 22
5. Lance Stroll - 16
6. Daniil Kvyat - 15
7. Räikkönnen's strategy - 12
8. Gustav Malja - 6
- People nominating McLaren-Honda for ROTR - 6
- The shot of the lasses during the start replay - 6

This was an interesting race with a lot of really good ROTR candidates. But there can only be one winner, and that man, in this case, is Carlos Sainz Jr.! :dance: Crashing into Stroll and blaming him, especially after gaining the reputation of being a good dependable driver, is exactly what we're looking for in these awards. McLaren-Honda, though not the winner, are playing the long game as they attempt to get their hands on that coveted ROTY trophy. They're definitely well on their way, currently.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!