Brawn GP To Use Mercedes KERS

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Nin13

Brawn GP To Use Mercedes KERS

Post by Nin13 »

The Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) is now available to championship leaders, Brawn GP.

The KERS system has been released by their engine supplier - Mercedes - who's KERS system appears to be the most reliable and consistent system within the F1 paddock with Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen both using it for all of this years races.

The newest team on the track will now benefit from the extra boost (80bhp), but will also have to deal with the added weight, at a compromise of ballast.

“Mercedes have made it available to us. We’ve just got to find a way of fitting it to the car and not compromising the handling, because the car wasn’t designed for their system," said Brawn.

"The biggest issue that we have is overall weight, because in fitting the Mercedes engine we added a reasonable amount of weight to the car with all the modifications we had to make."

Adding, "Although theirs is a very light system, we’ve lost the capacity that we need to install their system and add the ballast that we need to get the right weight distribution."

From: http://www.f1times.co.uk/kers-available ... gp-87.html

What do you think guys?? Should Brawn GP try it??
Bcoz next year it might be compulsory so after end of this year they might have to use it after they have already won both the titles!! And best thing, they are getting the best KERS!!

So 3 teams will be using Mercedes KERS by the end of year- Mclaren, Brawn and Force India
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER FAN.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Brawn GP To Use Mercedes KERS

Post by tristan1117 »

I don't think so. I mean they got so far without KERS, now they want to add weight onto the car. Plus it's a new technology and it will take time to master it. I say wait to use it until like Britain or something and add it then. Red Bull, and Toyota aren't running KERS and there doing kind of well. They will need it eventually to keep up with Ferrari and Mclaren but not yet.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Should they try it now? No.

Should they keep it in their back pocket in case they find a circuit they really need to use it on? Yes.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Istambul Kurtkoy might be a good place to try it out. It won't be useful to anybody in Monaco. I guess KERS will be very popular again in Monza, Valencia Marina and Spa. I'm curious as to how the flywheel KERS of Williams has turned out. It's an innovative concept and could be everywhere between a "W12" and a "fan car". I hope it's better than the electrical KERS.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I'd like to see them try it, for one reason: it would show us what is the impact of KERS on a cars that is the class of the field. So, we might get to understand if the problems other teams have been feeling were due to KERS or simply rubbish cars. Gosh, they really needed some testing this year...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!