Happy New Year from GPR & Pedro Lamy profile!

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Ataxia
Not Important

Happy New Year from GPR & Pedro Lamy profile!

Post by Ataxia »

Welcome to 2017. Thanks to Miguel98's fantastic work, he has put together a marvellous profile of the former Lotus and Minardi legend Pedro Lamy! Everything from his early career, his back-of-the-grid F1 exploits and sportscar successes are covered, and we hope you enjoy it.

Simtek has also produced a touching tribute to the fallen F1 stars who left us in 2016, which is available here.

I'd also like to thank Simtek, Miguel, Londoner, and Tommykl for coming up with some excellent content over the past year, and also Biscione for trusting me with the keys for our original works. We hope we've done the old site proud, and we've got some exciting things scheduled for this year, so stick with us!

Thanks everyone!
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Happy New Year from GPR & Pedro Lamy profile!

Post by FullMetalJack »

Happy Birthday Zsolt.

Oh, and happy new year I guess.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
girry

Post by girry »

Great work Miguel & Simtek.

The notion about Pedro scoring Portugal's first (but not last - although I consider Pedro's career better than Tiago Monteiro's, or any other Portuguese racing driver's) Formula One point at Adelaide made me think about just how significant a man to the once so great nation of Portugal the profile is discussing. Discounting footballers, is Pedro Lamy the greatest Portuguese sportsman of all time?

...for sure, I cannot think of many others - if any...
when you're dead people start listening
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

giraurd wrote:Discounting footballers, is Pedro Lamy the greatest Portuguese sportsman of all time?

I think Rui Costa might be considered a bigger sporting personality than Lamy, but I suppose Miguel would know better than either of us. He won the UCI World Road Race Championship (i.e. he can call himself a former World Champion of cycling), and has won multiple stages of the Tour de France.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

I anxiously waited a long time for this profile :deletraz:
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

DemocalypseNow wrote:
giraurd wrote:Discounting footballers, is Pedro Lamy the greatest Portuguese sportsman of all time?

I think Rui Costa might be considered a bigger sporting personality than Lamy, but I suppose Miguel would know better than either of us. He won the UCI World Road Race Championship (i.e. he can call himself a former World Champion of cycling), and has won multiple stages of the Tour de France.

Rui Costa, ignoring footballers, is the bigger sporting personality, ignoring footballers. AFDC, Monteiro, Lamy and Rui Aguas, Alvaro Parents exploits are largelly ignored by media as a whole - think this, the only time motorsport news relating portuguese came on TV was Monteiro's victory at Vila Real.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
girry

Post by girry »

Really? That's disappointing to learn. For all of the WRC, F1 and motoGP events you had hosted, historically in front of passionate crowds to boot, I had had Portugal down as a relatively enthusiastic motorsport nation merely lacking a real home crowd hero. For all the ignorance our media have for all non MotoGP/F1/Wrc racing in Finland so saturated by successful drivers in the top categories - if we had anyone in WEC LMP1 like Albuquerque or Lamy, or a good FE/DTM driver like AFDC, or even someone like Monteiro in WTCC, they would surely get at least some regular coverage in mainstream media as well.

Yes, should have remembered Rui Costa, and probably Sergio Paulinho, too. Looking at the list of Portuguese olympic medalists, Nelson Evora and Obikwelu ring some bells, too. Still, 4 gold medals in your entire history explains why initially remembered no greats :shock:
when you're dead people start listening
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

giraurd wrote:Really? That's disappointing to learn. For all of the WRC, F1 and motoGP events you had hosted, historically in front of passionate crowds to boot, I had had Portugal down as a relatively enthusiastic motorsport nation merely lacking a real home crowd hero. For all the ignorance our media have for all non MotoGP/F1/Wrc racing in Finland so saturated by successful drivers in the top categories - if we had anyone in WEC LMP1 like Albuquerque or Lamy, or a good FE/DTM driver like AFDC, or even someone like Monteiro in WTCC, they would surely get at least some regular coverage in mainstream media as well.

Yes, should have remembered Rui Costa, and probably Sergio Paulinho, too. Looking at the list of Portuguese olympic medalists, Nelson Evora and Obikwelu ring some bells, too. Still, 4 gold medals in your entire history explains why initially remembered no greats :shock:

Well, the mainstream media isn't - Eurosport broadcast all big events, and they usually bring good views. F1 broadcast by Eurosport in Portugal had some really good views considering, and usually WTCC and WEC also give good broadcasting audiences - we also have a spectacular commentary team to boot.

WRC is broadcasted - some stages and only some parts - by RTP1, the national broadcaster, and ELMS is broadcasted in RTP2, and usually has some good audience in Estoril.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Excellent job on the Lamy profile! Now if only Minardi didn't get swindled out of those Mugen engines, their 90s story may have turned out much differently, perhaps Lamy's career would change as well.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Talking about the greatest Portuguese sportspersons, there's one female athlete who deserves mention: Rosa Mota won 14 of 21 marathons she participated between 1982 and 1992, including Olympics, World Championships and three European Championships.