New: Geki Profile!

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Ataxia
Not Important

New: Geki Profile!

Post by Ataxia »

Thanks to the sterling work of our own East Londoner, GPR has a comprehensive profile of everyone's favourite (or second-favourite, if you're in the Gimax fanclub) mononymous racer.

Yes, it's none other than Geki! You can read all about his Formula Junior career, his Formula One outings and everything in between here: http://gprejects.com/centrale/drivers/geki
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dinizintheoven

Re: New: Geki Profile!

Post by dinizintheoven »

Which means someone has to do Gimax now...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

dinizintheoven wrote:Which means someone has to do Gimax now...

Which is - if i remember correctly - actually happening?
On the article: great detail, nice job. If i had to be critical, then it would be that the writing style is a bit more chaotic than most. But theres nothing particularly wrong with it either, so this is just criticising for the sake of criticising. Don't think i don't admire the work ;)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

This wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:Which means someone has to do Gimax now...

Which is - if i remember correctly - actually happening?

The Gimax profile has had to be delayed until early 2017, because I've discovered that Gimax's son also raced under that pseudonym in the 1980s and early 1990s. :badoer:

This wrote:On the article: great detail, nice job. If i had to be critical, then it would be that the writing style is a bit more chaotic than most. But theres nothing particularly wrong with it either, so this is just criticising for the sake of criticising. Don't think i don't admire the work ;)

I can understand this, as my modus operandi was to work for an hour or two on the profile every couple of days. Consistency will be key for my next pieces.

Glad to see people are enjoying the profile. I'm currently working on two more pieces for the website, which touch wood should be published before the end of the year. :)

I can also reveal that we might have another driver profile and a team profile published in the near future, depending on when the authors can complete them. We'll be swimming in new content :D
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

I love reading about drivers with pseudonyms, especially one named ones. I heard about Geki but not in great detail, but I love the name Gimax.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

East Londoner wrote:I'm currently working on two more pieces for the website, which touch wood should be published before the end of the year. :)

Are you hinting at a Duncan Hamilton profile perchance? ;)

Also, yeah, top profile-writing job, man. :dance:
#FreeGonzo
Waris

Post by Waris »

Well written. However, I was under the impression that drivers who perished in an accident weren't eligible for a profile?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Waris wrote:Well written. However, I was under the impression that drivers who perished in an accident weren't eligible for a profile?

This was the case for drivers killed in F1 races (e.g. Roland Ratzenberger) on F1 Rejects. However, drivers killed while racing elsewhere (e.g. Jo Gartner) were still profiled.

Geki was killed in a F3 race, so I'd say he falls under the latter category.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Hence also, that summary of Justin Wilson's career could be turned into a full profile.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

A good read.
I do wonder. Why oh why do you keep making articles about these REALLY obscure guys and teams... when the reject team of all reject teams Osella STILL doesn't have one?
I mean, the closest we got to an Osella-profile was Piercarlo Ghinzani's profile in the old site but even that had things outside if Osella.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

DonTirri wrote:A good read.
I do wonder. Why oh why do you keep making articles about these REALLY obscure guys and teams... when the reject team of all reject teams Osella STILL doesn't have one?
I mean, the closest we got to an Osella-profile was Piercarlo Ghinzani's profile in the old site but even that had things outside if Osella.

Good question! Osella is certainly something that can be tackled later down the line, but considering the length of the articles we've done so far it'd be a massive undertaking...it would definitely require a couple of people working together on it. I mean, there's four seasons of F2 and 10 years of Formula 1 to cover...it'd be huge!

Also, we know we've been a bit quiet on the writing front; I'm currently at the business end of this semester and have exams coming up next week. I've got something in the works which I can probably try to release around Christmas time (which is a little different to a "conventional" team review), and there's a few other things being worked on by some of the other guys.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

There is also the question of whether Osella even is a reject team. They only had five points on the scoreboard, but had Jo Gartner's points been allowed to stand in any normal season, they would have 7. Sure, the criteria is simply the number of points, but then how would you change it to accommodate for other points systems? If you redefine it according to finishing positions, then surely Gartner's fifth place counts and Osella aren't a reject team...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

tommykl wrote:

There is also the question of whether Osella even is a reject team. They only had five points on the scoreboard, but had Jo Gartner's points been allowed to stand in any normal season, they would have 7. Sure, the criteria is simply the number of points, but then how would you change it to accommodate for other points systems? If you redefine it according to finishing positions, then surely Gartner's fifth place counts and Osella aren't a reject team...

If you look at the criteria we have now you will see all ambiguity has been removed on that front. The bad news is... Osella don't count.

Not to say Centrale pieces tacking the subject aren't allowed. ;)

And on the subject of writing, I have two things in store for you lot before the year's out, one of which has already been discussed, the other... it's a surprise.
#FreeGonzo