The 2016 GP Rejects Forum Awards

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Rob Dylan

The 2016 GP Rejects Forum Awards

Post by Rob Dylan »

So, as we approach the end of the marathon that is this year's world championship, I'd like to open the awards thread with an equally long and arduous set of awards. I'll put up my driver ratings on a separate thread sometime soon as well.

- Driver of the Year Award = Daniel Ricciardo
- Team of the Year Award = Mercedes
- Race of the Year Award = No real stand-out classics this year, so hard to say. I think I’ll just pick one of the better ones at random and say Austria
- Rookie of the Year Award = Pascal Wehrlein
- Most Improved Driver of the Year Award = Max Verstappen
HMs to: Carlos Sainz Jr. & Marcus Ericsson
- The "Fallen From Grace" driver award = Daniil Kvyat
- Reject of the Year = Esteban Gutierrez
- Finish of the Year = Singapore
- Most Anonymous Driver of the Year = Felipe Massa
- Crasher of the Year = N/A
- The Deadbeat Teammate of the Year Award = Daniil Kvyat (sorry Daniil).
HMs to: Felipe Massa / Jenson Button / Felipe Nasr
- The “Lucky B*stard of the Year” Award = Max Verstappen
- The “Cursed By Gypsies” Award = Romain Grosjean
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Driver Award = Kimi Raikkonen (again). This must seriously be the fourth year in a row I’ve given him that award.
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Team Award = Sauber. Those late-season points saved their arses big-time.
- The “Best of the Rest” Driver award = I gave it to Sergio Perez last year, and he probably deserves it this year as well. But to be different I'll say Carlos Sainz Jr.
- The “Best of the Rest” Team award = Force India
- Best Qualifying Lap of the Year Award = Nico Rosberg's pole lap at Singapore
- Best racing lap of the year = Final lap at Singapore
- Most unnecessary driver of the year = Jolyon Palmer. Not a terrible driver, but he could probably be replaced by five other drivers who would do the exact same job as him.
- The Driver who deserves an honourable mention in general = Carlos Sainz Jr.
- The Lucky Bastard To Avoid Any Rejectful Awards Award = Felipe Nasr
- Most missed driver of the year = Alex Rossi
- The driver you completely forgot about who actually drove only last year = Roberto Mehri
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The 2016 GP Rejects Forum Awards

Post by watka »

- Driver of the Year Award = Daniel Ricciardo (Max Verstappen is a close 2nd), the most consistent threat to a Mercedes team with a clear performance advantage
- Team of the Year Award = Mercedes, they've made one of the most dominant machines ever
- Race of the Year Award = Austria, can't think of many races where there was a real battle for the win, but this was certainly one of them
- Rookie of the Year Award = Rio Haryanto, because why the hell not
- Most Improved Driver of the Year Award = Marcus Ericsson, he's generally had the better of Felipe Nasr who is considered more talented and kept a clean nose most of the time (bar Monaco). Unlucky for him that he didn't score the team's points.
- The "Fallen From Grace" driver award = Sebastian Vettel, a "past it" Kimi Raikkonen has kept him very honest this year, not to mention his complete inability to keep his head.
- Reject of the Year = As much as I want to say Jolyon Palmer, I can't because he has shown improvement and hasn't faired too badly against Magnussen. So it really has to be Esteban Gutierrez. He doesn't have the excuse of a bad car, he doesn't have the excuse of being a rookie and his behaviour has been poor.
- Finish of the Year = Austria, reasons above
- Most Anonymous Driver of the Year = Kevin Magnussen
- Crasher of the Year = Max Verstappen, not so much a crasher but definitely questionable moves
- The Deadbeat Teammate of the Year Award = Felipe Massa, total disappearing act in the second half of the season
- The “Lucky B*stard of the Year” Award = Nico Rosberg. Let's be real. Hamilton has had a mechanical retirement this year and Rosberg hasn't. Hamilton has also had issues in qualifying. They are equal on wins and Hamilton is 16-15 up on podiums and 11-8 up on poles (OK, so Rosberg is 5-3 up on fastest laps). You'd be hard pushed to find anyone who really thinks, when pushed, that Rosberg has been the better driver this year.
- The “Cursed By Gypsies” Award = Romain Grosjean, only driver with 2 DNSs.
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Driver Award = Jolyon Palmer. He was Renault's 5th choice so he got the seat by sheer process of elimination. We know how Ferrari operate re: Kimi, so let's move on.
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Team Award = Sauber. A classic team, but I'd not notice if they left the grid, to be frank.
- The “Best of the Rest” Driver award = Sergio Perez. I think statistically speaking Bottas might have been the best finisher excluding Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari on the most occasions, but Perez has 2 podiums which is where the publicity is. HM to Fernando Alonso
- The “Best of the Rest” Team award = Force India, hands down.
- Best Qualifying Lap of the Year Award = Daniel Ricciardo at Monaco
- Most unnecessary driver of the year = Daniil Kvyat. Really don't know why Red Bull have hung on to him. He was never Red Bull top team material, so why is he still on board at Toro Rosso? He's clearly not happy with his treatment so why not let him go elsewhere?
- The Driver who deserves an honourable mention in general = Fernando Alonso, he could so easily give up, but he doesn't
- The Lucky Bastard To Avoid Any Rejectful Awards Award = Felipe Nasr. So boring.
- Most missed driver of the year = Pastor Maldonado obviously!
- The driver you completely forgot about who actually drove only last year = Roberto Merhi. So much so it seems that everyone wants to misspell his surname as "Mehri". I suppose he does put the "meh" in Merhi.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Driver of the Year - I guess Ricciardo, but Rosberg is mighty close.
Reject of the Year - Torn between Gutierrez and Nasr, Guti has had the higher highs (I can't forget about Bahrain where he was on for at least 7th before retiring) but the much lower lows also.
Team of the Year - The three-pointed star with a circle around it
Reject Team of the Year - Sauber
Race of the Year - Spain,
Stinker of the Year - Canada or Germany, though several other races would be just behind them.
Rookie of the Year - Wehrlein
Finish of the Year - Austria
Most Anonymous Driver of the Year - To be shared between the two Felipes
Crasher of the Year - Jolyon Palmer
Most Underrated Driver - Carlos Sainz Jr.
Start of the Year - Not sure on this one, Vettel in Melbourne or Montreal
Overtake of the Year - Shared between Max Verstappen's moves on Rosberg in Britain and Brazil
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I will wait to nominate someone. Too close in this year. Gutierrez had a lot of mechanical failures, Sauber saved itself in Brazil (as well Nasr), Massa & Button where completely beaten by their team mates in the second half but did decent in the first half, Palmer and Ericsson improved.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Driver of the Year Award = Daniel Riccardo (Max has been more spectacular but is too inconsistent). Daniel is getting third and is a future WDC.
- Team of the Year Award = Mercedes- Who else.
- Race of the Year Award = Ah. I will give it to spain but there hasn't been any classics.
- Rookie of the Year Award = Esteban Ocon who has managed to bag himself a Force India seat!
- Most Improved Driver of the Year Award = Marcus Ericsson- Deserves another season at Sauber and has finally changed my opinion of him
- The "Fallen From Grace" driver award = Sebastian Vettel. Dear oh dear how the mighty have fallen. going back to the 2014 mode of Whinging and blaming everyone else apart from Himself. once again putting his 4 world titles in question and Ferrari questioning keeping him for 2018.
- Reject of the Year = Tough one but I give to Esteban Gutiérrez who has been unlucky at times I grant you but there have been plently of times when he has been very poor. And as for Brazil....
- Finish of the Year = Austria. So So Close
- Most Anonymous Driver of the Year = Felipe Massa. apart from Brazil I don't really recall a good drive from him in the second half of the season.
- Crasher of the Year = Max Verstappen. Of course.
- The Deadbeat Teammate of the Year Award = Jenson Button. Just give it up man. (In the UK Jenson is still considered a god by some)
- The “Lucky B*stard of the Year” Award = Jolyon Palmer. Lucky man to keep his seat and then had a go at Magnussen for leaving Renault. Shut up man- Kevin has kept you in f1!!
- The “Cursed By Gypsies” Award = Romain Grosjean. he is eyeing that Ferrari seat (possibly two open ones in 2018). Tow DNS are very unlucky
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Driver Award = Jolyon Palmer. As above
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Team Award = Sauber. Far too lucky in Brazil. Awful everywhere else.
- The “Best of the Rest” Driver award = Segio Perez. Getting Podiums and laughing in Mclaren's faces.
- The “Best of the Rest” Team award = Force India- 4th in the constuctors is amazing!
- Best Qualifying Lap of the Year Award = Daniel Ricciardo at Monaco. Stunning
- Most unnecessary driver of the year = Jenson Button. Again give it up man. Its clear Stoffel Vandoorne is the future.
- The Driver who deserves an honourable mention in general = Carlos Sainz Junior. A fantastic season
- The Lucky Bastard To Avoid Any Rejectful Awards Award = Daniil Kvyat. Lucky Boy to keep his seat at Toro Rosso. nealry had two firings in one year
- Most missed driver of the year = Pastor Maldonado. Well it was either him or two of the other manor drivers from last season
- The driver you completely forgot about who actually drove only last year = Will Stevens. Forgot he was in f1. Even the British press have forgot about him.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

- Race of the Year Award = Spain (even though the circuit's a turd)
- Rookie of the Year Award = Stoffel Vandoorne
- Most Improved Driver of the Year Award = Marcus Ericsson
- Finish of the Year = Brazil
- Most Anonymous Driver of the Year = Jenson Button
- Crasher of the Year = Nico Rosberg (not least for his knack of getting away from them just fine)
- The Deadbeat Teammate of the Year Award = Felipe Massa
- The “Lucky B*stard of the Year” Award = Valtteri Bottas
- The “Cursed By Gypsies” Award = Kevin Magnussen
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Driver Award = Jolyon Palmer
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Team Award = Sauber
- The “Best of the Rest” Driver award = Sergio Perez
- Best racing lap of the year = Max Verstappen overtaking two cars in the first sector at Brazil
- Most unnecessary driver of the year = Lewis Hamilton (could have given Rio Haryanto a shot at winning in the Mercedes)
- The Driver who deserves an honourable mention in general = Rio Haryanto
- Most missed driver of the year = Robert Kubica (always)
- The driver you completely forgot about who actually drove only last year = Roberto Merhi
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

- Driver of the Year Award = Rio Haryanto
- Team of the Year Award = Manor Racing, for their inspired signing of Rio Haryanto
- Race of the Year Award = Monaco, where Rio Haryanto finished a stunning 15th
- Rookie of the Year Award = Rio Haryanto
- Most Improved Driver of the Year Award = Rio Haryanto
- The "Fallen From Grace" driver award = Rio Haryanto, has been poor in recent races, sadly
- Reject of the Year = Rio Haryanto, as in he's the best performing driver that currently holds reject status
- Finish of the Year = Germany, the sad finish to Rio Haryanto's F1 career
- Most Anonymous Driver of the Year = Rio Haryanto
- Crasher of the Year = Rio Haryanto
- The Deadbeat Teammate of the Year Award = Rio Haryanto, modestly made way for his teammate. What a sportsman
- The “Lucky B*stard of the Year” Award = Rio Haryanto, where did that signing come from?
- The “Cursed By Gypsies” Award = Rio Haryanto
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Driver Award = Rio Haryanto, just wait 'til it's announced
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Team Award = Manor. How they thought dropping Rio Haryanto was a good idea I'll never know
- The “Best of the Rest” Driver award = Rio Haryanto
- The “Best of the Rest” Team award = Manor Racing, all because of Rio Haryanto
- Best Qualifying Lap of the Year Award = Rio Haryanto's Baku Q1 lap
- Best racing lap of the year = That time Rio Haryanto was running in the points in China
- Most unnecessary driver of the year = Rio Haryanto, yeah, he's not necessary, but then neither is, say, Hamilton or Alonso.
- The Driver who deserves an honourable mention in general = Rio Haryanto
- The Lucky Bastard To Avoid Any Rejectful Awards Award = Rio Haryanto. He hasn't got any official awards, so...
- Most missed driver of the year = Rio Haryanto
- The driver you completely forgot about who actually drove only last year = Rio Haryanto. Doesn't have to be restricted to F1, does it?
#FreeGonzo
Samster

Post by Samster »

Driver of the Year - No one has stood out particularly as outperforming their car this year. I guess Daniel Ricciardo if pressed.
Reject of the Year - I stood up for him midseason but he has just been pissing away any points oppertunities since then and his behaviour in Brazil has sealed it for me. Esteban Gutierrez is ROTY for me. HM to Massa for doing sweet F-All since Russia.
Team of the Year - Sigh, Mercedes for producing one of the most dominant cars ever for the third season running.
Reject Team of the Year - Going to go for Renault for not really trying for this season but I understand why.
Race of the Year - Any of Bahrain, Austria or Brazil.
Stinker of the Year - Any of Canada, Baku, Germany or Italy.
Rookie of the Year - Ocon at Brazil is the single best performance by a rookie but I'd rather go for someone who has done the full season even though I feel he is a little overrated. Pascal Wehrlein.
Finish of the Year - Austria, would have been better if Nico hadn't ballsed up though.
Most Anonymous Driver of the Year - Quite alot of anomynous drivers this season. Either Magnussen (bar Russia) or Nasr (bar Brazil), HM to Ericsson, Kvyat (since Silverstone) and both Haas drivers (also since Silverstone and baring the more obvious screw ups.)
Crasher of the Year - No has really stood out, lets face it Maldonado is no longer here. But I'll go with Kvyat for somehow hitting Vettel twice in three corners and also that weird crash in Austria.
Most Underrated Driver - Marcus Ericsson at least outside this forum.
Start of the Year - Either of Vettel's in Australia or Canada.
Overtake of the Year - I struggle to remember particular ones so I'll leave this one.
IIDOTR performance of the Year - If he had managed to hold on to points I would certainly go with Ocon in Brazil. HMs to Alonso at Austin, Wehrlein in Austria, Perez in Monaco, Hulk in Belgium, Nasr in Brazil and any of Sainz's 6ths.
The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Award - Daniil Kvyat, more because considering their history with impulsively binning drivers I'm surprised Red Bull have given him one more season.
The “Why Are They Even Here?” Award - Esteban Gutierrez, how has he had three seasons in the sport with just one points finish.
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

- Race of the Year Award = Spanish GP
- Rookie of the Year Award = Pascal Wehrlein. I'm not considering Ocon until after his first full season.
- Reject of the Year = Esteban Gutierrez, most likely. Unless he pulls some massive upset.
- Finish of the Year = Austrian GP
- Most Anonymous Driver of the Year = Felipe Massa
- Crasher of the Year = Brian Scott... er, Max Verstappen
- The Deadbeat Teammate of the Year Award = Esteban Gutierrez
- The “Lucky Bastard of the Year” Award = Likely Nico Rosberg, unless something bad happens on Sunday
- The “Cursed By Gypsies” Award = Stuck between Grosjean and Ricciardo.
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Driver Award = Kimi Raikkonen
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Team Award = Sauber. You guys better give Nasr some thanks in the form of a drive. He may have just saved your sorry butts.
- Best racing lap of the year = Singapore GP, final lap
- Most unnecessary driver of the year = Jolyon Palmer
- The Driver who deserves an honourable mention in general = Carlos Sainz, Jr.
- The Lucky Bastard To Avoid Any Rejectful Awards Award = Sebastian Vettel
- Most missed driver of the year = Rio Haryanto
- The driver you completely forgot about who actually drove only last year = Roberto Merhi

I'll add a couple more awards:
- The "Stop Trying To Be Chad Knaus" Award, which goes to the team that had the most questionable pit strategies, that normally went wrong = Scuderia Ferrari. I bitched and moaned about their strategists so much this year. They threw out at least one race victory this year. The kicker to me, is who they gifted the win(s) to: Lewis Hamilton.

- The "Chase Elliott's Pit Crew Isn't This Stupid" Award, meant for the most hilarious, most aggravating, or even both, blunder in the pits = I'm currently torn between the Ferrari-Kimi incident in Austin, and the Red Bull-Ricciardo Monaco pit stop.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

F1 Awards

- Team of the Year Award = Force India
- Race of the Year Award = Malaysia
- Rookie of the Year Award = Rio Haryanto (For being far, far closer to Wehrlein than anyone expected)
- Finish of the Year = Austria
- Crasher of the Year = Kevin Magnussen & Jolyon Palmer (It doesn't help that the Renault was actively trying to pitch them into a wall or gravel trap somewhere)
- The Deadbeat Teammate of the Year Award = Daniil Kvyat
- The “Cursed By Gypsies” Award = Rrrrrrrmmmmmnnnnnnn Grrrrrrrssssssssjjjjjjnnnnnn
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Driver Award = Jolyon Palmer
- The “Best of the Rest” Driver award = Carlos Sainz Jr
- Best Qualifying Lap of the Year Award = Pascal Werhlein at Austria
- Best racing lap of the year = Max Verstappen overtaking two cars in the first sector at Brazil
- Most unnecessary driver of the year = Esteban Gutierrez
- The Driver who deserves an honourable mention in general = Fernando Alonso
- Most missed driver of the year = Pastor Maldonado

Other Racing Categories

- Driver of the Year Award = Shane van Gisbergen (V8 Supercars/GT)
- Team of the Year Award = Team Penske (IndyCar)
- Race of the Year Award = Bathurst 1000 (V8 Supercars)
- Rookie of the Year Award = Lando Norris (Formula Renault 2.0/British F3)
- Most Improved Driver of the Year Award = Raffaele Marciello (GP2)
- The "Fallen From Grace" driver award = Andretti Autosport (IndyCar)
- Reject of the Year = Marco Andretti (IndyCar)
- Finish of the Year = Indianapolis 500 (IndyCar)
- Most Anonymous Driver of the Year = Jack Hawksworth (IndyCar)
- Crasher of the Year = Sean Gelael (GP2)
- The Deadbeat Teammate of the Year Award = Daniel de Jong (GP2)
- The “Lucky B*stard of the Year” Award = The #2 Porsche (Le Mans)
- The “Cursed By Gypsies” Award = Scott Dixon (IndyCar)
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Driver Award = Takuma Sato (IndyCar)
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Team Award = Arden (GP2)
- The “Best of the Rest” Driver award = Josef Newgarden (IndyCar)
- The “Best of the Rest” Team award = Tekno Autosport (V8 Supercars/GT)
- Best Qualifying Lap of the Year Award = Mikhael Aleshin at Pocono (Indycar)
- Best racing lap of the year = Ryan Hunter-Reay's first lap at Pocono (IndyCar)
- Most unnecessary driver of the year = Marco Andretti (IndyCar)
- The Driver who deserves an honourable mention in general = Will Davison (IndyCar)
- The Lucky Bastard To Avoid Any Rejectful Awards Award = Alex Lynn (GP2)
- Most missed driver of the year = Luca Filippi (IndyCar)
- The driver you completely forgot about who actually drove only last year = Carlos Huertas (IndyCar)
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Driver of the Year - Fernando Alonso. 10th in the championship with that car
Team of the Year - Force India - 4th in the WCC
Race of the Year - idk
ROTY - Wehrlein
MIP - Marcus Ericsson
Fall from Grace - Nico Hulkenberg - Dominated by his teammate
Reject - Esteban Gutierrez
Finish - Abu Dhabi
Crasher - Palmer
Anonymous - Kimi Raikkonen
Deadbeat - Esteban Gutierrez
Lucky - Max Verstappen I guess
Cursed - Daniil Kvyat
How contract for next race - Palmer & Sauber
Best of the Rest - Perez & Force India
Qualifying - Ricciardo's pole lap.
Most missed - Pastor Maldonado
tBone

Post by tBone »

- Driver of the Year Award = Nico Rosberg (big HM's to Ricciardo and Alonso)
- Team of the Year Award = Force India
- Race of the Year Award = Brazil
- Most Improved Driver of the Year Award = Carlos Sainz jr.
- Finish of the Year = Abu Dhabi
- Most Anonymous Driver of the Year = Felipe Nasr
- Crasher of the Year = Max Verstappen
- The “Lucky B*stard of the Year” Award = Felipe Nasr (If I'm allowed to nominate a team, Sauber or Renault)
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Driver Award = Jolyon Palmer (this might become Gutierrez if Manor or Sauber sign him)
- Best Qualifying Lap of the Year Award = Pascal Wehrlein's Q1 lap in Austria
- Best racing lap of the year = All of Max Verstappen's last 15 laps in Brazil
- Most unnecessary driver of the year = Felipe Massa (Gutierrez and Palmer deserve a mention)
- The Driver who deserves an honourable mention in general = Esteban Ocon
- The Lucky Bastard To Avoid Any Rejectful Awards Award = Kevin Magnussen
- The driver you completely forgot about who actually drove only last year = Will Stevens

One more...
- The “How Haven't They Got a Contract For Next Year Yet?” Driver Award = Pascal Wehrlein
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

- Reject of the Year = Esteban Gutiérrez
- Finish of the Year = Abu Dhabi
- Most Anonymous Driver of the Year = Felipe Nasr (apart from Brazil)
- Crasher of the Year = Sebastian Vettel
- The Deadbeat Teammate of the Year Award = Esteban Gutiérrez
- The “Lucky B*stard of the Year” Award = Nico Rosberg (not an undeserved title but Hamilton was more deserving)
- The “Cursed By Gypsies” Award = Nico Hülkenberg
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Driver Award = Daniil Kvyat (deserves to be in F1 but I was sure STR would go for Gasly)
- The “Best of the Rest” Driver award = Sergio Pérez
- Best Qualifying Lap of the Year Award = Pascal Wehrlein, Austria (close to Q3 in a Manor!) with an honorable mention to Rio Haryanto in Baku (the much maligned driver almost made it to Q2)
- Best racing lap of the year = Max Verstappen, Brazil
- Most unnecessary driver of the year = Esteban Gutiérrez
- The Driver who deserves an honourable mention in general = Carlos Sainz, Jr. (amazing improvement after Verstappen switched teams)
- The Lucky Bastard To Avoid Any Rejectful Awards Award = Renault
- Most missed driver of the year = Alexander Rossi
Last edited by Meatwad on 27 Nov 2016, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

- Driver of the Year Award = None stood out. Maybe Riccardo but only by a little.
- Team of the Year Award = Mercedes might be the obvious choice but I'll say Force India for this one considering that their budget is much smaller than the top three.
- Most Improved Driver of the Year Award = Carlos Sainz Jr.
HMs: Sebastian Vettel; come on man I want to like you since your behavior started improving at Ferrari.
HMs: Daniil Kvyat
- Finish of the Year = Mexico; mainly because it was so weird and near farcical.
- Most Anonymous Driver of the Year = Brazil aside, Felipe Nasr
- Crasher of the Year = Max Verstappen; yes he hasn't crashed out and yes he's not Maldonado but he's made some questionable moves
HMs to: Felipe Massa, Jenson Button, Daniil Kvyat
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Driver Award = Jolyon Palmer. I know he's there because he's the British Giovanni Lavaggi but come on can't Renault put in someone better?
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Team Award = Sauber. Which is pretty sad considering they're one of the "classic" teams.
- Most unnecessary driver of the year = Jolyon Palmer. Not a terrible driver, but he could probably be replaced by five other drivers who would do the exact same job as him.
- The Lucky Bastard To Avoid Any Rejectful Awards Award = Kevin Magnussen I guess. It seems like all the drivers did something bonehead stupid this year.
- The driver you completely forgot about who actually drove only last year = Alex Rossi
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

- Driver of the Year Award = Haven't worked that out yet. We have a separate thread anyway
- Team of the Year Award = High-budget team of the year is Mercedes, low-budget team is Force India
- Rookie of the Year Award = Vandoorne
- Most Improved Driver of the Year Award = Gutiérrez
- The "Fallen From Grace" driver award = Hard to argue against Kvyat
- Reject of the Year = Renault
- Finish of the Year = Firestone 600
- Most Anonymous Driver of the Year = Palmer
- Crasher of the Year = No one deserves this branding this year
- The Deadbeat Teammate of the Year Award = Kvyat
- The “Lucky B*stard of the Year” Award = Rosberg
- The “Cursed By Gypsies” Award = Kvyat
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Driver Award = Palmer
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Team Award = Should they make it, Manor, otherwise no one
- The “Best of the Rest” Driver award = Alonso
- The “Best of the Rest” Team award = I already gave something to Force India so Haas
- Best Qualifying Lap of the Year Award = Rosberg at Baku
- Best racing lap of the year = ?
- Most unnecessary driver of the year = Haryanto, empirically
- The Driver who deserves an honourable mention in general = Wehrlein
- The Lucky Bastard To Avoid Any Rejectful Awards Award = Nasr
- Most missed driver of the year = Rossi
- The driver you completely forgot about who actually drove only last year = A small grid with a small turnover leaves no one to be forgotten
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
mario

Post by mario »

- Driver of the Year Award = Daniel Ricciardo. As others have said, across the field it feels a little challenging to pick a driver who has consistently shone throughout the season and maximised the potential of his car throughout the year. However, I would say that Ricciardo has been one of the more consistent drivers, though I expect him to come under further pressure from Verstappen in 2017 if he continues his general upward trend. Alonso, though, deserves an honourable mention for some notable performances given the drawbacks of his car.

- Team of the Year Award = Mercedes's crushing domination for the third year in a row has been remarkable, but I am inclined to go for a curveball option and nominate Force India instead. When you consider the relative resources that the team has at their disposal - their budget is probably only the 8th largest in the field and thought to be worth only two thirds that of Williams - they have punched massively above their weight to secure 4th in the championship, such that their relative performance is more impressive to me than Mercedes's performance is.

- Race of the Year Award = We've had a number of decent races this year, but nothing particularly remarkable: I'd probably say that the Monaco GP was one of the more unusual and exciting races this season that didn't tip into outright terrifying (as was the case in Brazil).

- Rookie of the Year Award = Pascal Wehrlein. I do agree with some that he is perhaps a little overhyped, some of the surprise performances that he has put in over the season means he kind of wins this by default - even if it seems that Force India weren't quite so impressed with him as they were with Ocon.

- Most Improved Driver of the Year Award = Carlos Sainz Jr. I feel that Sainz Jr. has perhaps been overshadowed by how brightly Max's star has burned this year, especially given how much the press has fuelled it, but Sainz Jr. has shown quite a bit of pragmatism and stoicism as the team have struggled towards the end of this year as the lack of engine development has hurt more and more.

- The "Fallen From Grace" driver award = Daniil Kvyat. The only award that Kvyat is winning this year, and the way in which he was so publicly humiliated and kicked out into Toro Rosso really seems to have crushed much of his spirit.

- Reject of the Year = Esteban Gutierrez. Occasional flashes of speed, and it is true that Haas's brake issues this year have made things difficult for him, but generally he has performed just as badly on track as he has in previous years and shown no real signs of improving. At times, he has been nothing short of a moving roadblock - we heard how Ricciardo was openly mocking him for being so slow and seemingly being utterly oblivious to blue flags and to other drivers around him.
His attitude off the track, meanwhile, has been utterly toxic - especially the way in which he lashed out at Haas following the news that he was being dropped - and shown that he doesn't seem to care about taking on board well meaning advice, perhaps having been spoilt by his rich benefactors. I rather strongly suspect that there won't be many in the paddock who will be missing him next year...

- Most Anonymous Driver of the Year = Oddly, this is one of the harder awards for me to pick. Massa wasn't great this year, though I don't think that Bottas has been that much better either (Canada being the one standout race for Bottas). Magnussen shone in Russia, but to be honest he has flagged in the latter part of the year and hasn't really done that well when compared to Palmer (who has hardly distinguished himself either).

- Crasher of the Year = Daniil Kvyat. He hasn't been the most prolific crasher, but it could be argued that his clashes with Vettel had the highest impact given that they gave Marko the excuse he sought to kick him out. Otherwise, I believe that Magnussen has actually been the most accident prone driver this season - I think that he might actually have been worse in that department than Maldonado was last year.

- The Deadbeat Teammate of the Year Award = Daniil Kvyat. I feel that this is an inevitable consequence of both the loss of confidence he suffered following his demotion and a lack of familiarity with the car.

- The “Lucky B*stard of the Year” Award = I'd have to agree with the general consensus and say Nico Rosberg. His success in the championship feels very much like a case of Hamilton losing it due to reliability issues rather than Rosberg succeeding through raw pace alone - in some ways, his relative performance against Hamilton was less impressive in 2016 than in previous years.

His relative qualifying performance against Hamilton, at 13-8 in Hamilton's favour, was actually his worst relative performance against Hamilton over the four seasons they have been team mates, and worse still when you consider that Hamilton didn't contest three qualifying sessions. Equally, Hamilton has edged him out in terms of total victories and podium finishes, such that it feels as if Rosberg really hasn't performed any more strongly this year than in the past - just been fortunate that most of the random events over the season have gone in his favour rather than against him.

That said, it could be argued that Verstappen deserves something of an honourable mention here - he seems to have had something of a charmed life with stewarding decisions that, cynically speaking, would probably have gone against him if he'd not been the darling of the media and driving for a very influential team within the sport. rachel1990 has a fair point that, all things speaking, Palmer is also remarkably fortunate to still be in a seat for 2017 given that, if the rumours are true, he was Renault's 5th choice at best for the seat.

- The “Cursed By Gypsies” Award = Romain Grosjean. The persistent brake issues for Haas ruined a number of races, whilst the indignity of crashing out on the parade lap in Brazil was a notable low point for a season that initially started so strongly. Mind you, Toro Rosso have also had a number of notable issues this year.

- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Driver Award = Daniil Kvyat, if only because almost everybody was expecting Red Bull to kick him out of Toro Rosso and stick Gasly into his seat given how brutal the team have been with their drivers (as Kvyat himself knows all too well to his cost).

- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Team Award = Sauber, as you have to assume that the deal with Longbow was the ony thing that saved them from total collapse before the year was out.

- The “Best of the Rest” Driver award = Sergio Perez, with a series of very mature and impressive headline performances that have well and truly shaded Hulkenberg. This is very reminiscent of the sort of performances that won him the ill-fated seat at McLaren, but now I think that he's potentially matured to the point where he could handle a seat at a major team.

- The “Best of the Rest” Team award = Force India, as explained above.

- Best Qualifying Lap of the Year Award = A tie between Hulkenberg and Button during the Austrian GP, with Wehrlein's Q1 effort in the Belgian GP worthy of an honourable mention (shame that he couldn't have pulled out that lap in Q2).

- Best racing lap of the year = I don't know if they were necessarily the best, but the surreal turn of events in the closing laps of the Mexican GP are worth mentioning here.

- Most unnecessary driver of the year = I'd say that both Magnussen and Palmer fit into this category - the former, whilst occasionally shining, was also the most frequently investigated for blocking in qualifying sessions, suggesting he has rather poor situational awareness, and he was also very crash prone this season. The latter, meanwhile, hasn't been terrible - in fact, I think that he did better than many might have expected against Magnussen - but equally most of the time he was fairly anonymous.

I'd add that Nasr deserves a dishonourable mention in that regard, with only his performance in Brazil really warranting a mention - a performance that might save the team even as they kick him out (the withdrawal of Banco do Brasil due to their financial issues suggests that Nasr is likely to be cast aside in favour of a wealthier pay driver given Sauber's shaky financial position).

Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

- Driver of the Year Award = Sergio Perez - finally impressed by regularly beating the ever-dull Hulkenberg more than those two times it actually counted
- Team of the Year Award = Mercedes. No contest
- Race of the Year Award = Probably Spain.
- Rookie of the Year Award = Esteban Ocon
- The "Fallen From Grace" driver award = Sebastian Vettel
- Reject of the Year = Daniil Kvyat
- Finish of the Year = Austria
- Most Anonymous Driver of the Year = Nico Hulkenberg - Something he's very good at
- Crasher of the Year = Felipe Massa
- The Deadbeat Teammate of the Year Award = Felipe Massa
- The “Lucky B*stard of the Year” Award = Nico Rosberg
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Driver Award = Kevin Magnussen
- The “Best of the Rest” Driver award = Sergie Perez
- Best Qualifying Lap of the Year Award = Ricciardo at Monaco
- The driver you completely forgot about who actually drove only last year = Roberto Mehri
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Driver of the Year - Daniel Ricciardo
Reject of the Year - Daniil Kvyat
Team of the Year - Mercedes
Reject Team of the Year - Sauber
Race of the Year - Spain
Stinker of the Year - Canada
Rookie of the Year - Pascal Wehrlein
Finish of the Year - Malaysia
Most Anonymous Driver of the Year - Kevin Magnussen
Crasher of the Year - Jolyon Palmer
Most Underrated Driver - Carlos Sainz Jr.
Start of the Year - Spain
Overtake of the Year - Max V's series of them at Brazil
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

- Driver of the Year Award = Daniel Ricciardo, since his gutsy performances were phenomenal.

- Team of the Year Award = Let's go with Force India following their 4th in the WCC. Great effort.

- Race of the Year Award = Barcelona. The Red Bull/Ferrari battle was seriously tight.

- Rookie of the Year Award = In the absence of any really impressive rookie drivers, I'll go for Haas as a rookie team.

- Most Improved Driver of the Year Award = Sergio Pérez just keeps getting better and better. He's added a ton of consistency to his game.

- The "Fallen From Grace" driver award = Dany Kvyat. Love the guy, but 2016 has to be a learning experience.

- Reject of the Year = Elimination Qualifying. Empty track and early baths aren't what you want from something that's supposed to be a show.

- Finish of the Year = Abu Dhabi. Squeaky-bums all round; my heart was in my mouth.

- Most Anonymous Driver of the Year = Jolyon Palmer

- Crasher of the Year = I think it's testament to the skill of the current grid that there's no real standout answer to this.

- The Deadbeat Teammate of the Year Award = Esteban Gutierrez.

- The “Lucky B*stard of the Year” Award = In terms of having a big one and walking out unharmed, Kevin Magnussen at Spa.

- The “Cursed By Gypsies” Award = Nico Hulkenberg. Every time he qualified well up the grid, something bad happened. Looked like a contender for a Brazil podium before hitting debris. Frentzen missed out on championships, Heidfeld missed out on wins, Hulk misses out on podiums. Who will continue the cycle?

- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Driver Award = Jolyon Palmer. I've got to hand it to him, he's improved a lot. However, considering that he was fifth or sixth in the queue for the Renault seat, it's a surprise to see him being retained.

- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Team Award = Sauber. Looked dead and buried earlier in the year, so it's great to see them fend off the clutches of the Grim Reaper.

- The “Best of the Rest” Driver award = Sergiooooooo.

- The “Best of the Rest” Team award = Force India.b]

- Best Qualifying Lap of the Year Award = I'll go with [b]Rosberg at Singapore.
Over half a second quicker than anyone else.

- Best racing lap of the year = Lap 1 of Barcelona?

- Most unnecessary driver of the year = Would've been Nasr, but he turned out to be very necessary. So, let's go with Gutierrez again. A complete irrelevence.

- The Driver who deserves an honourable mention in general = Max for an excellent second season, Kimi for raising his game, and Vandoorne for that debut point.

- The Lucky Bastard To Avoid Any Rejectful Awards Award = Rio Haryanto.

- Most missed driver of the year = I missed last year's Dany Kvyat, although that would perhaps start a metaphysical debate over whether he qualifies since a past figure is perhaps an abstract noun. With that in mind, I missed Will Stevens' Essex-boy team radio.

- The driver you completely forgot about who actually drove only last year = Mehri Christmas.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

- Driver of the Year Award = Nico Rosberg
- Race of the Year Award = Spain
- The "Fallen From Grace" driver award = Daniil Kvjat
- Crasher of the Year = Daniil Kvjat
- The Deadbeat Teammate of the Year Award = Rio Haryanto
- The “Lucky B*stard of the Year” Award = None
- The Lucky Bastard To Avoid Any Rejectful Awards Award = Marcus Ericsson
DJJIMMYJ1976AU

Post by DJJIMMYJ1976AU »

Ok. Here is my 2c worth...

Driver of the Year Award = Daniel Ricciardo - drove the wheels off an inferior car.
- Team of the Year Award = Force India - on a shoestring budget to achieve 4th is amazing
- Race of The Year - Brazil
- Rookie of the Year Award = Pascal Wehrlein - outperformed his car's capabilities.
- Most Improved Driver of the Year Award = Carlos Sainz
- Reject of the Year = Joylon Palmer
- Most Anonymous Driver of the Year = Felipe Nasr
- Crasher of the Year = Danil Kvyat for crashing into Vettel twice in Russia
- The Deadbeat Teammate of the Year Award = jointly awarded to both Sauber drivers
- The “Cursed By Gypsies” Award = Romain Grosjean/Jenson Button
- The “How Have They Got a Contract For Next Year?” Driver Award = Joylon Palmer - overrated and overhyped
- Best Qualifying Lap of the Year Award = Daniel Ricciardo's pole lap at Monaco. He was untouchable there. Phenomenal.
- Most unnecessary driver of the year = Jolyon Palmer.
- The Driver who deserves an honourable mention in general = buggered if I know
- The Lucky Bastard To Avoid Any Rejectful Awards Award = Esteban Gutierrez
- Most missed driver of the year = Rio Haryanto :P
- The driver you completely forgot about who actually drove only last year = Will Stevens

And a few additional awards

- Crash of the year - Fernando Alonso in Melbourne
- near miss of the year - Max Verstrappen missing the wall in Brazil (i bet his dry cleaners were impressed at cleaning the stains out of his suit that day)
- overrake of the year - Ricciardo on Bottas at Monza - was epic
- knucklehead move of the year - Sauber vs Sauber in Monaco (I bet debrief was fun that day
- stupidest rule of the year - Qualifying in Melbourne and Bahrain F1 meets the biggest loser. Morons
- Dummy Spit of the year - Sebastian Vettel (who has also put half his salary in the swear jar)

And finally...
- choke of the year - Red Bull pit crew in Monaco. Seriously- Ricciardo had it in the bag till some f***wit forgot to get his tyres ready. It also mearly cost me my TV as i threw something at it in disgust. Morons.

So there you have it.

-