The 2017 Silly Season thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Barbazza

Re: The 2017 Silly Season thread

Post by Barbazza »

Ocon has absolutely nothing in F1 to deserve that Force India seat, but we all know why it's happened. I just hope that Ericsson stays at Sauber - he deserves to be there next year much more than Nasr does.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Barbazza wrote:Ocon has absolutely nothing in F1 to deserve that Force India seat, but we all know why it's happened. I just hope that Ericsson stays at Sauber - he deserves to be there next year much more than Nasr does.

Force India have worked with both Wehrlein and Ocon, and have their respective datasets. Ocon's got bags of talent, we can see that from his junior category results, and although he's aided by Mercedes, that won't have been the key factor.

Ericsson and Nasr will both most likely stay at Sauber, and Manor will presumably keep Wehrlein and partner him with someone from GP2; in theory, any one of Giovinazzi, Sirotkin or King could make it.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
andrew

Post by andrew »

Ataxia wrote:
Barbazza wrote:Ocon has absolutely nothing in F1 to deserve that Force India seat, but we all know why it's happened. I just hope that Ericsson stays at Sauber - he deserves to be there next year much more than Nasr does.

Force India have worked with both Wehrlein and Ocon, and have their respective datasets. Ocon's got bags of talent, we can see that from his junior category results, and although he's aided by Mercedes, that won't have been the key factor.

Ericsson and Nasr will both most likely stay at Sauber, and Manor will presumably keep Wehrlein and partner him with someone from GP2; in theory, any one of Giovinazzi, Sirotkin or King could make it.

Ocon has been thrown in the deep end at Manor. The car was built for Rio Haryanto not ocon, there is a considerable height difference between the two Ocon had to force his way into the car for the first few races. It is a bit like squeezing Mike and sulley from monsters inc into the same car.

Ocon has improved slightly since Beglium and has done very well in feeder catagoires, besting the demigod that is Max Verstappen and beating Luca Ghiotto to the GP3 title. You don't get onto the Mercedes young diver programme without some talent. Furthermore Wehrlien had all of testing and 10 or so races to get used to the car, something Ocon did not get, having a practice session in a Renualt and a test in a Mercedes.

To you're point Ataxia, does King have the suffient superlicence points to race in f1? Giovanzzi will if he wins gp2 and assumedly Sirotkin will have the points as well, not that I've heard him linked with the Manor drive,
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

IIRC they didn't even have a proper seat for Ocon until about his third race...
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Ocon hasn't really impressed me in F1 so far, but he does have a hugely impressive junior record, will be interesting to see how he goes
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Gutierrez throws Haas under the bus.

Carry on Esteban, you're effectively making yourself unemployable in the F1 paddock with comments like this. I will be amazed if he's still in F1 for 2017, given apparently he thoroughly burnt his bridges with Sauber in 2014. Manor is his last hope, and even then I believe they'd rather try and get Haryanto back into the car for 2017. As slow as Rio is, at least he doesn't appear to be arrogant and carry a sense of entitlement like Gutierrez does.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Samster

Post by Samster »

According to Autosport, Manor has a shortlist of 4 drivers. Wehrlein, Nasr, Gutierrez and Haryanto. Nasr is said to prefer Sauber so out of those I'm hoping for a return to Wehrlein and Haryanto again.
mario

Post by mario »

Samster wrote:According to Autosport, Manor has a shortlist of 4 drivers. Wehrlein, Nasr, Gutierrez and Haryanto. Nasr is said to prefer Sauber so out of those I'm hoping for a return to Wehrlein and Haryanto again.

If I recall rightly, McNish mentioned in the BBC's radio coverage of the practise sessions that most in the paddock expect that Sauber will keep Nasr and Ericsson for 2017.

That would seem to suggest that the most likely candidates are Wehrlein, Gutierrez and Haryanto - as East Londoner says though, Gutierrez's rather abrasive and entitled attitude is unlikely to endear him to Manor, and the way that Gutierrez was complaining in that article feels a bit like he knows he is on his way out of the sport anyway.

Ataxia wrote:

Furthermore, there are some whispers from those who worked with him in DTM that suggest that, behind the scenes, Wehrlein is a very difficult driver to work with.

There were hints of that in one practise session where, having spun the car, he was told by his engineers to shut the engine off to stop the car overheating - Wehrlein's response was to start arguing with the team, asking for more time to try and turn the car around even after he'd been told about 5 times to shut the engine off as the water temperature started to hit critical levels.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

According with Brazilian tv coverage, Sette Câmara is going to quit Red Bull Young driver programme at the end of the year.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

In a continuation of the subject of money problems:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127140/force-india-manor-ask-for-advanced-payment

While I am not worried by Force India - they seem to have a good package and stability that can get them through years of little money - I am somewhat by Manor. While the former will receive serious payment from FOM with its fourth place anyway, Manor aren't in so comfortable a position in terms of car performance or stability. Those Mercedes engines can't be cheap.

Then again, maybe I'm just paranoid and overreacting. I sure hope I am.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Waris

Post by Waris »

Rob Dylan wrote:In a continuation of the subject of money problems:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127140/force-india-manor-ask-for-advanced-payment

While I am not worried by Force India - they seem to have a good package and stability that can get them through years of little money - I am somewhat by Manor. While the former will receive serious payment from FOM with its fourth place anyway, Manor aren't in so comfortable a position in terms of car performance or stability. Those Mercedes engines can't be cheap.

Then again, maybe I'm just paranoid and overreacting. I sure hope I am.

I was under the impression they got the engines for free in exchange for putting Wehrlein in the car?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Breaking rumor. According with some Brazilian sources (Globo, Folha de São Paulo and others), Banco do Brasil is leaving Sauber and F1 as well. Nasr's seat at Sauber is in danger now.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Dj_bereta wrote:Breaking rumor. According with some Brazilian sources (Globo, Folha de São Paulo and others), Banco do Brasil is leaving Sauber and F1 as well. Nasr's seat at Sauber is in danger now.

He will be terribly, terribly missed.
*Rob Dylan looks up Felipe Nasr's F1 career results*
Wait a second, this guy's not even a reject!
Let's sacrifice him to our God!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:

Does HWNSNBM accept sacrifices?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

dr-baker wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:

Does HWNSNBM accept sacrifices?

Let's find out!
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Dj_bereta wrote:Breaking rumor. According with some Brazilian sources (Globo, Folha de São Paulo and others), Banco do Brasil is leaving Sauber and F1 as well. Nasr's seat at Sauber is in danger now.

Ericsson at least is staying ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38050061

Sauber said they will announce their second driver for 2017 in due course.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

And on that note...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127221/wehrlein-frontrunner-for-sauber-second-seat

An Ericsson/Wehrlein Sauber line-up for 2017?
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Rob Dylan wrote:And on that note...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127221/wehrlein-frontrunner-for-sauber-second-seat

An Ericsson/Wehrlein Sauber line-up for 2017?

Can I bet them getting Mercedes engines in 2017 or 2018?

Though if Pascal does leave that could spell trouble for Manor if they want to keep their Mercedes powerplants :?
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Waris

Post by Waris »

I would hate to see Nasr out. He deserves to be in F1 on talent alone, plus it would be very bad for F1 in Brazil if there were no Brazilians in F1. (I'm not Brazilian, but I have a bit of a soft spot for them.)

Maybe Manor will take him on, but then again I suppose they would also need the Banco do Brasil money.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Ericsson keeping his seat comes as no shock really given his mate owns the team. Is it me, or would longbow f1 or longbow racing be an epic team name?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

andrew wrote:Ericsson keeping his seat comes as no shock really given his mate owns the team. Is it me, or would longbow f1 or longbow racing be an epic team name?

They'd certainly shine if there was ever a race in Agincourt...

It's not 100% proven that Ericsson's backers own the team; there are plenty of things to suggest that they're involved, but they're keeping the ownership structure very much under wraps. It's a curious move to actively shun the limelight, but there's far more to F1 sponsorship/ownership setups than just brand exposure. Perhaps Tetra Pak (who are rumoured to be involved) are more interested in working with Sauber for case study development, or something to that effect.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
andrew

Post by andrew »

Ataxia wrote:
andrew wrote:Ericsson keeping his seat comes as no shock really given his mate owns the team. Is it me, or would longbow f1 or longbow racing be an epic team name?

They'd certainly shine if there was ever a race in Agincourt...

That has just made my day.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

...Yeah, I think I'll hold firm on my decision that this Sunday will be the last F1 race I'll be watching in a long time.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I'm going to be honest: I liked it.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Nuppiz wrote:

...Yeah, I think I'll hold firm on my decision that this Sunday will be the last F1 race I'll be watching in a long time.

#FreeGonzo
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

I'm happy with the idea.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

Aerond wrote:

I'm happy with the idea.

So am I.
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

Erm... In other news, Manor has a new, as yet unnamed investor for 2017, hopefully saving them from financial issues caused by the loss of prize money

On the other hand, Nasr has lost Banco do Brazil sponsorship, meaning Sauber will be back to grey (as I predicted :P ) and Wehrlein has more of a chance of replacing him, which could be bad news for the Manor Mercedes deal.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
IceG

Post by IceG »

It might be a better bet for Wehrlein to stay at Manor than go to Sauber. I'd always liked Sauber until the Monisha era; she seems to make some very odd decisions around finance and driver contracts.

Manor with new investors and a Merc engine sounds far more attractive than Sauber on the edge of financial doom with last years Ferrari engine.
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

IceG wrote:It might be a better bet for Wehrlein to stay at Manor than go to Sauber. I'd always liked Sauber until the Monisha era; she seems to make some very odd decisions around finance and driver contracts.

Manor with new investors and a Merc engine sounds far more attractive than Sauber on the edge of financial doom with last years Ferrari engine.

Agree 100%. This Sauber is not Sauber I used to like. I root for Pascal to stay.
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Can someone explain the hand-wringing over standing starts after safety cars? Why is it bad exactly?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

solarcold wrote:
IceG wrote:It might be a better bet for Wehrlein to stay at Manor than go to Sauber. I'd always liked Sauber until the Monisha era; she seems to make some very odd decisions around finance and driver contracts.

Agree 100%. This Sauber is not Sauber I used to like. I root for Pascal to stay.

I do have to agree that the team hasn't been quite the same since Kaltenborn took the helm, although a few of the issues which have come to the fore under her tenure had been brewing for a while.

The cash flow issues have been a major problem for years - for example, for about the past three or four years, there have been frequent rumours about Ferrari coming close to cutting off engine supplies to the team because they've not been paid. To a certain extent, some of those financial issues were effectively handed over by Peter Sauber into Kaltenborn's lap, so she was already starting from a difficult position.

However, even though she has had something of a weak hand to work with, I feel that she has played it rather poorly, with the van der Garde affair being perhaps the most egregious example. Even if you take the position that some have, which is that it was an act of necessary ruthlessness to help the teams survive, then she failed to achieve her objectives - between the legal fees and the compensation to van der Garde, the whole incident reportedly ended up costing Sauber money and caused a major cash flow crisis, whilst simultaneously doing major damage to their reputation. Peter Sauber had a few lean years of his own, but he still somehow managed to keep a positive vibe about the team - something that Kaltenborn just doesn't seem to have achieved, and ultimately has made the team hard to like in a number of ways.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

AndreaModa wrote:Can someone explain the hand-wringing over standing starts after safety cars? Why is it bad exactly?

Artificial way to get more action. Plus having something as variable as a start makes the already unfair bunching of the field even worse.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

AndreaModa wrote:Can someone explain the hand-wringing over standing starts after safety cars? Why is it bad exactly?

The motorsport.com article linked in this topic earlier listed a number of flaws in mid-race standing restarts. One of the major problems is the grip difference between each side of the grid, either due to the presence of tyre marbles (in a dry race) or more water (in a wet race). So basically, one half of the drivers would have a major disadvantage in the restart.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Waris

Post by Waris »

I'll bet you it will happen once or twice and then it'll be abandoned again, just like with the new qualifying format this year (does anyone even remember that? I had long forgotten until I thought of it just now writing this).
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

So I thought most of the silly season was over- Nico Rosberg has just opened a prime seat in f1!! Who will get the seat?
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Never has a situation more obviously called for Nick Heidfeld.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
IceG

Post by IceG »

Well Mercedes need a top class driver to ensure that they beat Ferrari/Red Bull and possibly even Mclaren. To the extent thay might even buy out some top-notch contracts. They also need some long-term commitment as Hamilton will start to look around if the Mercs struggle next year.

I can't see Ricciardo or Verstappen moving (new rules, Newey) or Raikkonen (too close to retirement) but Vettel might jump ship.

Otherwise its Sainz or possibly Bottas (Williams always being willing to sell a driver rather than succeed).

But realistically I think we are seeing Gutierrez chance
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

rachel1990 wrote:So I thought most of the silly season was over- Nico Rosberg has just opened a prime seat in f1!! Who will get the seat?

Or

Just For One Day...