The _TCC Series Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
andrew

Re: The _TCC Series Thread

Post by andrew »

How Alex Martin is allowed anywhere near a car is completely beyond me.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

It's odd that just before I left church at lunchtime today, I was predicting a fairly dull GP (nobody particularly out of position on the grid) and I was anticipating the BTCC races to produce a bit of drama. I was not anticipating quite the level of drama that races 2 and 3 provided (especially the first attempted laps of each race). Glad everybody, including the cameraman, is safe.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I've only just caught up with last weekend's racing. Difficult to see who was at fault in Race 3 between Martin & Howard but as the former is one of the most dangerous drivers I've ever seen and the latter is just hopelessly out of his depth, I agree that both should have their licences taken away.

Warren Scott was also driving like a total dick in Race 2 as well. Not the first time he's done that either.

I can see Turks winning the title at this rate. Which would be disappointing for me for 2 reasons - firstly because i hate the bloody ugly Subarus and secondly because it will make the aforementioned Scott even more smug.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote:I can see Turks winning the title at this rate. Which would be disappointing for me for 2 reasons - firstly because i hate the bloody ugly Subarus and secondly because it will make the aforementioned Scott even more smug.

Much as I like Colin Turkington, the Subarus were absolutely rubbish for the first three or four rounds before dominating. I think that to really deserve a title, you need to show signs of competitiveness for more than two-thirds of the season, even if the rest of the season more than compensates for that.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

dr-baker wrote:Much as I like Colin Turkington, the Subarus were absolutely rubbish for the first three or four rounds before dominating. I think that to really deserve a title, you need to show signs of competitiveness for more than two-thirds of the season, even if the rest of the season more than compensates for that.

Yeah, I like Turks too. Just not the car that he's driving! And let's not forget that they missed an entire meeting...

It's quite telling that while it's very open this year such that drivers rarely get 3 Top 10 finishes at one event, since that meeting that they missed, I don't think Turkington has finished lower than 7th. It reminds me of that ridiculous season when one of the cars (was it the Seat? possibly the Chevy?) clearly had much superior engine power than the other cars were allowed to.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Much as I like Colin Turkington, the Subarus were absolutely rubbish for the first three or four rounds before dominating. I think that to really deserve a title, you need to show signs of competitiveness for more than two-thirds of the season, even if the rest of the season more than compensates for that.

Yeah, I like Turks too. Just not the car that he's driving! And let's not forget that they missed an entire meeting...

It's quite telling that while it's very open this year such that drivers rarely get 3 Top 10 finishes at one event, since that meeting that they missed, I don't think Turkington has finished lower than 7th. It reminds me of that ridiculous season when one of the cars (was it the Seat? possibly the Chevy?) clearly had much superior engine power than the other cars were allowed to.

I'm actually quite glad that Turks is outperforming Plato consistently. And I imagine you might be referring to the turbodiesel Seats? I seem to remember them being fairly dominant, as the Chevys were in WTCC.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The inaugural BTCC champion has passed away. RIP Jack Sears, 1930-2016. :(
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... -knockhill

Dave Newsham is set to stand in for Kelvin Fletcher for Knockhill (his wife's due to give birth) which means we will all be saved the general reject-ness of Fletcher for one weekend, and a chance to see the Chevrolet go as well as last year possibly
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

This Could Be You wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125643/newsham-returns-to-btcc-for-knockhill

Dave Newsham is set to stand in for Kelvin Fletcher for Knockhill (his wife's due to give birth) which means we will all be saved the general reject-ness of Fletcher for one weekend, and a chance to see the Chevrolet go as well as last year possibly

Hey, Andy Sugden's doing an alright job, he seems to be improving by the weekend (unlike a certain Mr. Lines).
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Autosport is reporting that as from this weekend's Knockhill BTCC round, there will be the option of race bans for the next available race, races or race meeting, as a result of the ridiculous incidents in races 2 and 3 at Snetterton.
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Proof that Alan Gow is indeed the Australian Bernie by aping F1's usual 'shut stable door after horse has bolted' mode.

If Alex Martin doesn't get a ban before the end of the season, I will be amazed.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Barbazza wrote:If Alex Martin doesn't get a ban before the end of the season, I will be amazed.

Despite the big "Dextra" logo on the car, Martin is as dextrous as a lobotomised chimpanzee.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ataxia wrote:
Barbazza wrote:If Alex Martin doesn't get a ban before the end of the season, I will be amazed.

Despite the big "Dextra" logo on the car, Martin is as dextrous as a lobotomised chimpanzee.

Well, if he's not Dextra, he is therefore Sinistra?
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

And liability Alex Martin cause another accident at the start of race 3. People on ITV complained about Plato defending from Turks in race costing BMR victory, Turks would have done the same is it were the other way round. I will be amazed if Neal doesn't get done for race 1 with Morgan he basically drove into the back of him ruining his weekend.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

All that paled into insignificance compared to the crash between Devlin DeFrancesco and Petru Florescu in the second FIA British F4 race. They crashed halfway along the start/finish straight - one was trying to avoid ending up on the grass but got squeezed there anyway by the other as they went over a crest in the track. Anyway, an altercation between the two got broken up by a marshall and Florescu ended up disqualified from the whole meeting for the incident, meaning he lost the win he scored yesterday. What's worse is that they are teammates in the series.

http://fiaformula4.com/red-bull-junior- ... tr=718&sr=
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dr-baker wrote:All that paled into insignificance compared to the crash between Devlin DeFrancesco and Petru Florescu in the second FIA British F4 race. They crashed halfway along the start/finish straight - one was trying to avoid ending up on the grass but got squeezed there anyway by the other as they went over a crest in the track. Anyway, an altercation between the two got broken up by a marshall and Florescu ended up disqualified from the whole meeting for the incident, meaning he lost the win he scored yesterday. What's worse is that they are teammates in the series.

http://fiaformula4.com/red-bull-junior- ... tr=718&sr=

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... 4-teammate

It turns out that causing a collision along a straight amongst a gaggle of cars carries a 10-place grid penalty, yet starting a fight that gets broken up almost immediately gets you disqualified from the whole meeting, including losing a comfortable win. Would have swapped those penalties round, personally...

Recording of incident.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Good! Nice to see Gow speak out for once.

I mean, forgive me for being thick here but since that meeting they missed completely, have the Subarus not had a clear advantage over everybody else?

Judging by Turkington's performance in Race 3 at Knockhill, I'd say that he may sadly be starting to pick up habits from Lord (in his head) Plato.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Newsham is back again at Rockingham with Sugden still expecting his baby, and he is aiming to be back full time next season, he has already pulled out of Rallycross. Which would be great because he almost overhauled Abbott's full season tally at Knockhill, PMR need him.

http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/dave-ne ... le-header/

Also Tony Gilham is back in the driving seat after Michael Caine put his back out at Knockhill.

http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/tony-gi ... team-hard/
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The first race of the day at Silverstone produces a MG 1-2 and a superb three-way battle for the lead between Sutton, Cook and Ingram.

Of the championship contenders, both Shedden and Neal suffered punctures (Neal's one totally deserved for punting Moffat a lap or so earlier), and Jackson and Tordoff were nowhere. Suddenly, Rob Collard is right back in the title picture. This season is ridiculous. :dance:
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I love touring cars so unpredictable

MG stripped of their 1-2 finish from race 1 due to illegal rear wings. Tom Ingram inherits the win ahead of Andrew Jordan and Rob Austin who gets a 2nd podium

Race 2 saw Jordan win fending off pressure from Adam Morgan who gets his first podium since that awesome weekend he had at Thruxton. Ingram withstood what at times felt like a 10 car train to take 3rd

Tordoff now has a 14 point lead despite having a poor weekend mostly because Neal has had an even worse weekend than him. However what Tordoff didn't need was Gordon Shedden being drawn onto race 3 pole with Collard and Jackson 2nd and 3rd on the grid. It is legitimately a 6 horse race for the title now as Jordan's is now just 29 points behind Tordoff in 6th after those first 2 races
Samster

Post by Samster »

Well we will have a record 8 drivers mathematically still in this into the final meeting, in fact in could have been 10 if Morgan and Ingram hadn't failed to score in Race 3. Realistically I'd say only Plato has no real chance, he is only just in this. Everyone else has a reasonable chance of at least taking it into the final race if Tordoff and the Hondas continue to struggle with ballast. My main hope is that Neal doesn't somehow sneak this one, everyone else in the top 7 I wouldn't begrudge the title.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Samster wrote:Well we will have a record 8 drivers mathematically still in this into the final meeting, in fact in could have been 10 if Morgan and Ingram hadn't failed to score in Race 3. Realistically I'd say only Plato has no real chance, he is only just in this. Everyone else has a reasonable chance of at least taking it into the final race if Tordoff and the Hondas continue to struggle with ballast. My main hope is that Neal doesn't somehow sneak this one, everyone else in the top 7 I wouldn't begrudge the title.

I would have to say I'm cheering for Tordoff or Collard. I don't think the Subarus deserve this after missing and entire weekend, Neal can't overtake without driving into the other car. As he showed with Moffat in race 1 giving himself a puncture. I wouldn't mind shedden winning, but the BTCC having a new champion will do it a lot of good. Furthermore the BMWs seem to be the car worst affected by the boost, despite what Matt Neal and Jason Plato say.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Neal takes out Abbot causing a retirement for Jordan, Jordan's title hopes are surley over now, Neal should be penalised for that and he caused 2 retirements but I bet you he won't.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Race 2, Neal slows and crashes with Sutton, out of the race and now most likely out of the title. Collard and Jackson will be eliminated mathematically as of lap 6.

Plato what are you doing?
andrew

Post by andrew »

Well done to shedden I suppose, but gutted for Tordoff, he deserved that so much and was disadvantaged by the boost rules which seemed to be weighted against the BMWs
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Being a Honda fan I was happy with the result, I think Gordon has driven well this season. It was a shame that Tordoff didn't have more of a competitive car, but the Hondas have always gone well at Brands.

Much as I like him, Matt Neal hasn't been at his best this season though it was a shame to see him taken out of the battle entirely in Race 2 (and I've not been entirely impressed with Sutton's driving this year at the best of times)

I hope everyone enjoyed the competitive nature of BTCC this season as I expect at least 2 years of tedious Subaru dominance coming up......
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote:I hope everyone enjoyed the competitive nature of BTCC this season as I expect at least 2 years of tedious Subaru dominance coming up......

Sadly, I agree with this. I'm currently imagining that it may be on a par with that seen by Citroen (and prior to that, by Chevrolet) in WTCC.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I'm also expecting a Subaru walkover for 2017, unless Gow pegs them back. The WSR Beemers will be into their 5th season by then, ditto the Motorbase Fords, and I doubt there's much more left to gain in terms of speed. MG, assuming they're sticking with the MG6, will be into their sixth season, which really only leaves Honda to take the fight to Subaru, and even then they were absolutely nowhere at Thruxton and Croft this year.

I do wonder if Subaru will cut down their entry though, because having two cars consistently up front, and two cars assclowning around with the likes of Alex Martin/Stewart Lines/Mark Howard at the back doesn't look good from a PR point of view, no matter how much Warren Scott wants to play at being a "racing driver", and I use that term very loosely given his driving at Snetterton, Rockingham, Brands, and just about everywhere else...

Meanwhile, Tom Ingram will be sticking with Speedworks for another season.
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

Anyone fan of the TCR series?

I like the idea of low-cost series, where cars competing in local championship may also take part into the international series (you do not see this anymore in touring car competitions).

Various models of cars have been developed to match the regulations and many of them can fight for victory. There are no really big names from the drivers' side, but not having any car company officially involved into the competiotion means that there will not be any car dominating the series for 3 years and then leaving!

andrew

Post by andrew »

EuroBrun wrote:Anyone fan of the TCR series?

I like the idea of low-cost series, where cars competing in local championship may also take part into the international series (you do not see this anymore in touring car competitions).

Various models of cars have been developed to match the regulations and many of them can fight for victory. There are no really big names from the drivers' side, but not having any car company officially involved into the competiotion means that there will not be any car dominating the series for 3 years and then leaving!

I think I have commented on this series after the final round last year, all races are available on YouTube which makes it really easy to watch. Unlike the WTCC these days, they genually race at countires with Motorsport heritage such as Italy (last years Monza races were epic) related to this, Adam Morgan will enter the final round at Macau in a Mercedes, the championship will also be decided between VW driver Comini and the Seats of Oriola and Nash.
This Could Be You

In BTCC News, Andy Jordan has left Motorbase after a single, relatively successful season, claiming contractual issues. You have to wonder about his patience as this is his third team in three years, and he is probably compromising his seasons learning a new car every year with different colleagues.

It's also quite hard to see where he wants to go. I reckon Speedworks or back to Eurotech, as they are seemingly competetive enough, possibly even WSR if Tordoff retires like he has occasionally hinted at.
Your Signature Here

Samster

Post by Samster »

This Could Be You wrote:In BTCC News, Andy Jordan has left Motorbase after a single, relatively successful season, claiming contractual issues. You have to wonder about his patience as this is his third team in three years, and he is probably compromising his seasons learning a new car every year with different colleagues.

It's also quite hard to see where he wants to go. I reckon Speedworks or back to Eurotech, as they are seemingly competetive enough, possibly even WSR if Tordoff retires like he has occasionally hinted at.

From the sounds of things it looks like Motorbase may have found some sponsorship that forced Pirtek and him out. Only top team I could see him going to now is WSR, unless maybe Dynamics try to get their third car going again.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Samster wrote:
This Could Be You wrote:In BTCC News, Andy Jordan has left Motorbase after a single, relatively successful season, claiming contractual issues. You have to wonder about his patience as this is his third team in three years, and he is probably compromising his seasons learning a new car every year with different colleagues.

From the sounds of things it looks like Motorbase may have found some sponsorship that forced Pirtek and him out. Only top team I could see him going to now is WSR, unless maybe Dynamics try to get their third car going again.

Has Andy Jordan driven rear wheel drive recently? Could he fit in at BMR is Warren Scott gets rid of the liability that is either himself or James Cole?

In other news according to Touring Car Times, Ginetta driver Will Burns has been given a test with Team Merry go round, sorry I meant team HARD.
Samster

Post by Samster »

andrew wrote:
Samster wrote:

Has Andy Jordan driven rear wheel drive recently? Could he fit in at BMR is Warren Scott gets rid of the liability that is either himself or James Cole?

In other news according to Touring Car Times, Ginetta driver Will Burns has been given a test with Team Merry go round, sorry I meant team HARD.

Sadly I don't see Scott ever giving up the driving seat, he had the perfect opportunity last season when he was injured and Ashley Sutton was moving up but he got loaned out to Triple 8 instead. Plus Lord Plato wouldn't like another driver in the team that can threaten him.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Aiden Moffat has tested a BMR suburu apparently
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Lelda, no, sorry, Lada are leaving the WTCC

More proof, if any more was needed, that TC1 has been a total unmitigated disaster for the WTCC. It's priced almost all the privateers out of the series, and Citroen's enormous spending has effectively ruined it for the other manufacturers.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Naturally this isn't reported on the WTCC site, probably cos they can't turn it into a video or multimedia content yet - that website is shockingly bad.

I like Honda and Volvo, but it's not going to be fun without much competition. Not that it's been that exciting recently anyway...
andrew

Post by andrew »

Why can't they go back to the old s2000 days with seat, BMW, Alfa, Honda, ford and Chevy, much more exciting racing. Effectively next year we will have Honda podium lock outs. With the old Volvo and the rest of the grid filled by independent Chevys
This Could Be You

andrew wrote:Why can't they go back to the old s2000 days with seat, BMW, Alfa, Honda, ford and Chevy, much more exciting racing. Effectively next year we will have Honda podium lock outs. With the old Volvo and the rest of the grid filled by independent Chevys

Personally I feel they should either bite the bullet and switch to the NGTC regs, which are more interesting to watch, not much slower and far more cost effective (and somewhat ironic considering how dependent the BTCC was on old WTCC cars a few years ago) or disband and be replaced by TCR, which is a far better world touring car championship

But no, they seem to have instead decided to go for DTM/Super GT Class 1 regulations, which are even more expensive and far more aero dependent, which is a stupid decision whichever way you look at it, especially as DTM is starting to falter due to costs also.
Your Signature Here