Unusual F1 Stats

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Aislabie

Re: Unusual F1 Stats

Post by Aislabie »

AustralianStig wrote:
Aislabie wrote:[b]A pointless stat, which I suppose could be used to argue which drivers made the most of their title opportunities.
[Much statistics]

I'd be interested to see how that would pan out if you did it as a percentage of races won - it'd be much harder to win a championship in a 21 race season with only a handful of victories than in a 9 race season.

Along the lines of:
  • Stirling Moss - 0 titles - won 23.88% of entries and 43.24% of finishes
  • Keke Rosberg - 1 title - won 3.91% of entries and 8.47% of finishes

... and so on when I'm not using mobile data at 2AM?
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Aislabie wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:
Aislabie wrote:[b]A pointless stat, which I suppose could be used to argue which drivers made the most of their title opportunities.
[Much statistics]

I'd be interested to see how that would pan out if you did it as a percentage of races won - it'd be much harder to win a championship in a 21 race season with only a handful of victories than in a 9 race season.

Along the lines of:
  • Stirling Moss - 0 titles - won 23.88% of entries and 43.24% of finishes
  • Keke Rosberg - 1 title - won 3.91% of entries and 8.47% of finishes

... and so on when I'm not using mobile data at 2AM?

Precisely.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Most races held by track version. Many of the changes to the circuits are unexplained, but the circuit length has changed couple of meters. In these cases, I have deemed it different circuit. Also in the case of starting line having been moved, I have counted it as a different track (eg. new section was used in 2010 British GP, but the startline and new pits were first used in 2011, so 2010 track held only one race)

Monza 1976-1994 18

Zandvoort 1952-1971 17
Kyalami 1968-1985 17
Monza 2000 to date 17

Sepang 2000 to date 16
Interlagos 2000 to date 16
Melbourne 2001 to date 16

Montreal 2002 to date 15

Imola 1981-1994 14

Nürburgring 1951-1966 13
Monza 1957-1971 13
Hungaroring 2004 to date 13
Shanghai 2004 to date 13

Silverstone 1952-1973 12
Hungaroring 1989-2000 12
Monaco 2003-2014 12

Indianapolis 1950-1960 11
Spa 1958-1970 11
Österreichring 1977-1987 11
Monaco 1986-1996 11
Suzuka 1991-2001 11
Suzuka 2003 to date 11

Watkins Glen 1961-1970 10
Monaco 1963-1972 10
Monaco 1976-1985 10
Jacarepagua 1978-1989 10
Estoril 1984-1993 10
Magny-Cours 1992-2001 10
Hockenheim 2002 to date 10
Barcelona 2007 to date 10
Spa 2007 to date 10
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Ricciardo's had four second-place finishes this season, which is really successful for someone who hasn't won a race yet this year. I was wondering what the most successful season there has been in terms of podium finishes without wins. I looked at Montoya's 2002 season where he got seven pole positions and seven podiums, four of which were second places. That's a pretty successful season but with no wins. And Webber got eight podiums with five second-places in 2013. What's the most successful season that produced no wins?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Jenson Button had 6 thirds and 4 seconds (10 podiums) in 2004; neither he nor the team scored a podium until 2006. He finished 3rd in the drivers' championship; BAR finished 2nd in the constructors' (the only team to ever finish 2nd overall without a win).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Ronnie Peterson finished runner-up in 1971 (an 11-race season), but scored 0 wins (came stupidly close to spoiling the fairy-tale win for Peter Gethin at Monza though).
Also Jamie and Enoch stated in their 2001 review (which is still available on web.archive BTW), that Rubens Barrichello finished in a solid 3rd in the WDC, with 10 podiums out of a possible 17, but managed 0 wins, poles, or fastest laps, although he got close to winning Austria, Italy and America.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Nick Heidfeld has 13 podiums without a win, Stefan Johansson has 12, Chris Amon has 11, Romain Grosjean has 10, etc.

However, no one has 6 podiums without a win. This is the only amount below 13 for which this is true.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Simtek wrote:
watka wrote:Does anyone have the full list of F1 safety car drivers? I think before Bernd Maylander is was Oliver Gavin but beyond that I have no idea. Likewise the medical car? I can see Alan van der Merwe is the current one and Alex Ribiero has done the job too.

Marcel Fassler also drove the safety car briefly in 2001 when Maylander was ill. And then there is of course the great Eppie Wietzes in the 1973 Canadian Grand Prix...

So, tonight I found out somebody who raced in F1 in recent years has also driven the medical car:
He was replacing the regular driver, Jacques Tropenat (a doctor who did a bit of endurance racing back in the nineties), who had taken ill in the last three races of 2008; Alex Wurz also filled in for him. The following year Alan van der Merwe took over full-time.

Also found out some time ago that Damien Faulkner took Bernd Maylander's place at the 2002 US GP.
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Since the Malaysian Grand Prix, this is the longest number of races in Sebastian Vettel's career where he has not won a race. The previous record was his first 21 races from USA 2007 to Belgium 2008. Having not won since the Singapore 2015, his number of races in a row without a win is now 22.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

dr-baker wrote:Jenson Button had 6 thirds and 4 seconds (10 podiums) in 2004; neither he nor the team scored a podium until 2006. He finished 3rd in the drivers' championship; BAR finished 2nd in the constructors' (the only team to ever finish 2nd overall without a win).

BMW Sauber, 2007
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Aislabie wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Jenson Button had 6 thirds and 4 seconds (10 podiums) in 2004; neither he nor the team scored a podium until 2006. He finished 3rd in the drivers' championship; BAR finished 2nd in the constructors' (the only team to ever finish 2nd overall without a win).

BMW Sauber, 2007

If McLaren had not been chucked out of the Constructors's Championship, Sauber would have been third. Maybe I should have said that BAR were the first to have done so...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
razta

Post by razta »

Here's a stat.. let's wait and see if this continues.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

That statistic comes annoyingly close to being true for the entire history of the Hungarian Grand Prix; only Piquet (1987) , Senna (1991), Villeneuve (1997), Hakkinen(1999) and Schumacher (2001 and 2004) ruin it. Annoyingly that means if Hamilton does win the WDC, Sky will use this evidence to prove that he is 'a natural born racer and the best driver in the history of ever' based on his company in bucking this statistic
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

I don't know it it was questioned here before, but i wondered how often a Fin, a Swede and a Dane raced together ,or at least attemped to race. As this year, we have Raikkonen, Bottas and a part of Rosberg representing Finland, Magnussen representing Denmark and Ericsson representing Sweden.
The only races i could find were the Swedish in 1974 where Peterson, Wissel, Roos (Sweden), Belso (Denmark and Kinunnen (Finland) participated together. And the British GP in 1974 where Peterson, Belso and Kinunnen participated together.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

When are we getting our first Norwegian in F1?!? Has Pål Varhaug still got some sponsorship?

You might be interested to know that a Norwegian has once qualified on pole for the Indy 500: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Andersen
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Isn't Pål Varhaug the one who got demoted from GP2 to GP3?
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

21 years ago, on October 6th 1985, the European GP took place in Brands Hatch. A part from Ivan Capelli's first race and Nigel Mansell's first win, my attention was grabbed by John Watson. The Northern Irish stood in for Niki Lauda in McLaren and drove in what will be his last F1 start with Niki's number 1 on the car. Was this the only time since the early '70s in which a non-reining world champion has driven with that number on his car?

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Well he beats Winkelhock(?) by a year...

I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

EuroBrun wrote:21 years ago, on October 6th 1985, the European GP took place in Brands Hatch. A part from Ivan Capelli's first race and Nigel Mansell's first win, my attention was grabbed by John Watson. The Northern Irish stood in for Niki Lauda in McLaren and drove in what will be his last F1 start with Niki's number 1 on the car. Was this the only time since the early '70s in which a non-reining world champion has driven with that number on his car?

In a World Championship event, at least, yes. Before then, the only other occasion in which a non-champion used number 1 following the introduction of fixed numbers was in 1974, the very first season. As Jackie Stewart had retired, numbers 1 and 2 instead went to the constructors' champions, which were Lotus. Therefore, Ronnie Peterson raced with number 1 for the entire season. Normal order resumed in 1975.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

This season had two red flagged races already. I can't remember any season with more than two, at least in recent times.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

In this decade, 2014 and 2011 have had two. 2014 had three red flags in races but two of them were in Japan (first with rain early and then with Bianchi accident) along the one in Britain after Kimi's crash damaged guardrail.

2011 had two in successive races as Monaco Grand Prix had late red flag due to accident involving Petrov and then a long stoppage due to rain in Montreal.
razta

Post by razta »

looks like it 20 years apart

and both Hill and now Nico (will) won their titles 34 years after their fathers did
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

AndreaModa wrote:Well he beats Winkelhock(?) by a year...

I think that was Zakspeed's test car from late '84 going on the winglets forward of the rear wing above the wheels .....were those style of winglets banned for '85 ( I had a few Burago models which had those winglets)
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Sauber's points after Brazil make this season the first since 2009 where all constructors scored at least one championship point. I find this quite interesting because after 2009, the points system was extended for the very reason of allowing slower cars to get points by finishing in 10th. It took until the seventh year of this points system for all constructors to score again in the end. That's the consequence of über-reliability I suppose.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Rob Dylan wrote:Sauber's points after Brazil make this season the first since 2009 where all constructors scored at least one championship point. I find this quite interesting because after 2009, the points system was extended for the very reason of allowing slower cars to get points by finishing in 10th. It took until the seventh year of this points system for all constructors to score again in the end. That's the consequence of über-reliability I suppose.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't 2009 the only other time that it happened....
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

WeirdKerr wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Sauber's points after Brazil make this season the first since 2009 where all constructors scored at least one championship point. I find this quite interesting because after 2009, the points system was extended for the very reason of allowing slower cars to get points by finishing in 10th. It took until the seventh year of this points system for all constructors to score again in the end. That's the consequence of über-reliability I suppose.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't 2009 the only other time that it happened....

2002, 2004, 2005 and 2007*

McLaren lost all points as a result of Spygate.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

2002: Thanks to the first corner pile up in the season opener.

2004: Thanks to the chaotic US Grand Prix.

2005: Thanks to the Michelin-gate.
Samster

Post by Samster »

With Massa and Button not racing next season, 2017 will feature only seven previous Grand Prix winners (Both Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari drivers and Alonso). Has there ever been less than this at any point asides from the earliest seasons?
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Samster wrote:With Massa and Button not racing next season, 2017 will feature only seven previous Grand Prix winners (Both Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari drivers and Alonso). Has there ever been less than this at any point asides from the earliest seasons?

Yes. For example:

1993: Prost, Senna, Berger, Patrese and Schumacher.
1994: Senna, Schumacher, Hill and Berger.
1995: Schumacher, Hill and Berger.
1996: Schumacher, Hill, Berger, Alesi, Coulthard and Herbert.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Since 2012 - the year Nico Rosberg bagged his first F1 win - Rosberg has actually won more races than Sebastian Vettel. Nico has won 23 whilst Sebastian has won 21.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Dj_bereta wrote:
Samster wrote:With Massa and Button not racing next season, 2017 will feature only seven previous Grand Prix winners (Both Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari drivers and Alonso). Has there ever been less than this at any point asides from the earliest seasons?

Yes. For example:

You forgot Alboreto for 93 and 94 plus Boutsen for most of 93. But 95 is the clear winner here. Any other seasons (or races) with three or less?
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Samster wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:

Yes. For example:

You forgot Alboreto for 93 and 94 plus Boutsen for most of 93. But 95 is the clear winner here. Any other seasons (or races) with three or less?

The farce that was the 2005 US GP only had two race winners start the race (Schumacher and Barrichello). If you go from time periods, the whole of 1950 had only three winners (Farina, Fangio and Parsons), and if you don't include the Indy 500, it took until the 1951 French GP for F1 to have their third Grand Prix winner (although it was a shared drive). The first ever official F1 takes the cake though, with no previous championship grand prix winners starting it (because it was the first ever race).
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jeez, I bloody hope so! Nico has well put the time in, and after 2017 he can drive for Manor for all I care. Lewis can drink his salty tears.

razta wrote:

looks like it 20 years apart

and both Hill and now Nico (will) won their titles 34 years after their fathers did
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

WeirdKerr wrote:

Nope 2002 as well. And possibly 2007 depending on how you count McLaren's disqualification
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
leywso

Post by leywso »

Samster wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:

Yes. For example:

In 1995, the field only had three previous winners on four occasions- Mansell had his two-race McLaren stint in San Marino and Spain, and then Alesi won the sixth race of the season in Canada to bring the numbers up to four permanently. By mid-season we also had Johnny Herbert as a race winner!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

2016 is the first season since 2008 where the constructor Vettel drove for finished worse than second in the standings - in the case of this year, third.

For Lewis Hamilton, 2009 - where McLaren finished 3rd - is the only time the constructor he drove for finished worse than second*************.

*************2007 yes i know what happened in 2007 i saw that season shut up.
girry

Post by girry »

There has been only one case where a team scored 1-2 in World Drivers' Championship in two subsequent years (Frentzen's 3rd place in 1997 doesn't count). McLaren in 1988 and 1989.

...until Mercedes from 2014 on...
when you're dead people start listening
tBone

Post by tBone »

giraurd wrote:There has been only one case where a team scored 1-2 in World Drivers' Championship in two subsequent years (Frentzen's 3rd place in 1997 doesn't count). McLaren in 1988 and 1989.

Ferrari in 2002 and 2004 as well.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

tBone wrote:Ferrari in 2002 and 2004 as well.

giraurd wrote:There has been only one case where a team scored 1-2 in World Drivers' Championship in two subsequent years (Frentzen's 3rd place in 1997 doesn't count). McLaren in 1988 and 1989.

Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
tBone

Post by tBone »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
tBone wrote:Ferrari in 2002 and 2004 as well.

Oops, I should have read that better :facepalm:
YOUR
LOGO

Here