The 2016 PETRONAS Malaysian Grand Prix Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

The 2016 PETRONAS Malaysian Grand Prix Thread

Post by Ataxia »

Race notes:

- Fernando Alonso will take a 30-place grid penalty in order to test the new Honda power unit.
- The Sepang circuit has undergone numerous changes in order to improve drainage in wet conditions. The final corner is now off-camber, and the profiles of some corners have changed slightly over the construction period.
- It's something of a home race for Mercedes AMG PETRONAS. According to a survey, 74% of Malaysians are proud that their national oil company produces the best petrol and oil in Formula 1. According to another survey, I just made that statistic up.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CoopsII

Re: The 2016 PETRONAS Malaysian Grand Prix Thread

Post by CoopsII »

Oh. That thing with the cars is on this weekend.
Just For One Day...
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

CoopsII wrote:Oh. That thing with the cars is on this weekend.

what thing?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

F1? Is that the thing where Schumacher is racing Hamilton?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AndreaModa wrote:F1? Is that the thing where Schumacher is racing Hamilton?

I thought that was the Indynascars.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Ataxia wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:F1? Is that the thing where Schumacher is racing Hamilton?

I thought that was the Indynascars.

Nah nah it's IndyCart isn't it?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Loving the enthusiasm guys...

In an attempt to rouse interest, the race time is 15:00 local time on Sunday

The weather at 16:00 local time is projected to be: http://www.accuweather.com/en/my/sepang ... 18?hour=57
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

It actually feels fine to have the Malaysian Grand Prix at this time of the year. It feels more appropriate to have it in the far East around the same times as Singapore and Japan.

I think much of the talk this weekend is going to be on the silly season and the driver changes. Rumour is we might get an answer to the Williams and the Renault lineups for next season in the coming days...
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

watka wrote:Loving the enthusiasm guys...

Yeah, perhaps we should put up or shut up. After seventeen years Malaysia is practically a grandee track now so it deserves our respect for that. And it has produced plenty of memorable moments over the years, I am hopeful of a good race this Sunday.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

To be honest, I will be finding the BTCC more fascinating this weekend. But due to holidays and uni and life, I have yet to catch up with the three Silverstone rounds and will be without a TV this weekend... (At least, on Sunday I will be without.)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

To paraphrase Rubens Barrichello's old race engineer, Magnussen's car today was 'on fire, like properly on fire'.

Kimi saying that even after a bad day, it looks like Ferrari are very much on the ball here in Malaysia. Pace seems to support it.

Also Alonso apparently super-fast with the new Honda upgrade. It's a shame he has a 30-place grid penalty, and it might be a coincidence overall, but it looks like McLaren have found some more pace hidden somewhere.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
IceG

Post by IceG »

In a Sky interview Alonso stated that the engine was not more powerful and that the changes were about reliability. It could be that the increased reliability enables the use of more powerful engine modes for longer, giving an increase in race performance.

Jenson did well though :)
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Hamilton on pole and Rosberg doing two laps with scruffy moments. I get the feeling Hamilton has the upper hand here.

The Ferraris not nearly as much on the pace as they appeared yesterday.

Also nice to see that the McLaren pace was not just a coincidence. I commented on the chat group that it feels good to know that having a McLaren in Q3 is not extraordinary any more. Their pace is improving by the race, and though their reliability is still to be desired, the signs look promising if Alonso's claims are correct.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

McLaren definitely look like they are making steps forward. They got their driver line-up for next season sorted relatively early and chassis seems good and the engine is only getting better. Change of regs next year mixes things up a bit so who knows, it could be a massive opportunity for them.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Button annoyed me today when he appeared to blame the Renault in front of him (I think it was Magnussen) for the spin he had. Sorry, Jense, but you were driving the car and the Renault was miles in front.

Also, bitching about backmarkers on the pit radio is a bit rich after the recent history at McLaren aint it?
Just For One Day...
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

Personally I'm looking forward to watch the race (although I need to wait until 14:00 CET to do so, since there will be no live broadcast :chilton: ): Mercedes are miles ahead as always, but behind them Ferraris and RBs are be close tyre choice might differs quite a lot.

Behind the frontrunners the curiosity is on Alonso and his new Honda engine.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Just up in time, ready to rock and roll
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

sswishbone wrote:Just up in time, ready to rock and roll

And Massa stalled :|
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Vettel out :(
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

So many cars with so manyproblems.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

What the hell was that? Seen cleaner on F1 2016 online lobbies!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Ocon 10th!!

Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Geez Massa. Not your day.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Black cats and ladders have been part of his weekend it has to be said

Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Brake issues for ROmain.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Car breaking Kuala Lumpur! This carries on we could be in for a very interesting finish

Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Ericsson is 7th. Yes
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

That pass from Rosberg was unacceptable, nearly took out sidepods and front wing, commentators say the stewards won't look at it, I disagree

*edit - Whereas Ricciardo and Verstappen have just demonstrated exactly how close aggressive driving is done, whereas Coulthard states the Rosberg move was inspired, I bet if Rosberg had hit either Red Bull he'd call it unacceptable dangerous!

Holy shite!!! Hamilton is out!! Engine failure!!!

good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Holy moly. :D

Or should that be... Holy Motors [ :twisted: ]
Last edited by good_Ralf on 02 Oct 2016, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Cray Cray
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

That'll teach Haas not to use Kwik-Fit for their tyre changes.

Rosberg penalised for a move that Hamilton or Verstappen would get away scot free with AGAIN. I bathplug hate this series at times. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

:facepalm: :x at Derek Warwick and co. for a another unnecessary penalty for Rosberg. I bet even Ricciardo or Vettel would have escaped a penalty for that move,
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

I disagree he dived from way back, smacked the front wing and the sidepods shunting Raikonnen right to the edge of the track, this is not touring cars and he should have backed out of the move.

Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Great race. That saltiness between Brundle and Crofty.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Sky were far too interested in Hamilton all the second half of that race. Very unprofessional.

Fantastic to see our fourth race winner this year! Ricciardo's deserved another win for a long time now, and it was a great race overall.

Lewis' comments to Sky after the race will likely get a lot of backlash. Very strong and he'll regret provoking his team and the stewards and the audience etc.

Nice race!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Lewis' tears are so delicious.

I'm a terrible person for thinking that, aren't I? :D
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

We've had dull races in classic tracks and fantastic races in newish tracks (Malaysia is 1999 I know). Shows what the common "Classic Tracks are the best" argument is kind of is.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Felt bad for the guy, in all honesty. Hamilton sounded like he wanted to curl up in a ball over team radio; he had it in the bag. Doesn't excuse the comments after the race, but emotions run high.

I completely disagree with the Rosberg penalty. It was - as David Coulthard attested to - just racing. You risk making drivers afraid to even blink in another drivers' direction if you get this heavy-handed. Obviously F1 is not touring cars, but still.

I watched C4 this weekend for a change, and it just felt...nicer. In comparison to Sky, it's far more even-handed and it's nice to have Karun Chandhok and Mark Webber making cameos. Sky has stagnated, in my opinion, and the pundits are all starting to become one homogeneous voice having kept the same team for five years.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

I am a simple man. I see Hamilton retiring, I rejoice.
It was a good race anyway. Shame Kimi couldn't push Nico harder though.
Also, that incident between Nico and Kimi was a simple racing incident. bathplug the stewards.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Daniel Ricciardo showed the difference in class between him and Lewis by admitting that he struggled with the decisions that went Max's way earlier in the year (without whinging about it) but saying that it made him want the win more. And then dedicating it to Jules Bianchi.

Whereas Lewis says they're all out to get him by putting crap engines in his car. Yes, of course they are.....

Proof that most F1 fans are morons: Driver of the day = Max Verstappen apparently. Despite at least half a dozen drivers deserving it more - Ricciardo obviously, Rosberg for coming from last and for that awesome dash to make up 10 seconds after the penalty (which was deserved, I think), Bottas for making the Mediums last so long and making strategy work for him for a change, Alonso for finishing so high up from last on the grid, Palmer for also making a long stint work and somehow getting that car into the points even given all the retirements, Ericsson drove well too.