Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
AndreaModa

Re: Ponderbox

Post by AndreaModa »

To this day people struggle to get a good match to the colour when building kits of the McLarens.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

With Jenson Button linked with a return to Williams it got me thinking

1. If he does return to Williams the 16 years since he was last their would be the longest gap between driving for same team? what the current longest gap between 2 stints with the same team.

2. If he does it will probably be the last team he drives for. Ignoring those who completed their whole career with the same team how many have started and ended their career with the same team.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

peteroli34 wrote:With Jenson Button linked with a return to Williams it got me thinking

1. If he does return to Williams the 16 years since he was last their would be the longest gap between driving for same team? what the current longest gap between 2 stints with the same team.

2. If he does it will probably be the last team he drives for. Ignoring those who completed their whole career with the same team how many have started and ended their career with the same team.

And on that note, I wonder how many within the team Jenson would still know and recognise? What would the turnover of staff be like in a company that size?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

peteroli34 wrote:With Jenson Button linked with a return to Williams it got me thinking

It most definitely would be. The number of drivers with a career spanning that much time can almost be counted on one hand and of the ones that have, most of them were in the twilight years of their careers after the teams at which they started had folded (e.g. Shadow for Patrese, or Cooper for Brabham).

peteroli34 wrote:2. If he does it will probably be the last team he drives for. Ignoring those who completed their whole career with the same team how many have started and ended their career with the same team.

Only example I can come up with is Heinz-Harald Frentzen, who bookended his career with Sauber.

Prost almost ended his career with McLaren, until he gave the Peugeot engine-equipped MP4/9 a go and wasn't impressed, and, while it's not exactly the same, Alesi ended his career at Jordan, with whom he had won the F3000 title in the year he made his F1 début.
#FreeGonzo
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Well... there's Pierluigi Martini, but other than 1992, all the cars he ever drove were the same team.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Bobby Doorknobs

This wrote:Well... there's Pierluigi Martini, but other than 1992, all the cars he ever drove were the same team.

Actually, he started out at Toleman.

He DNQ'd, but I guess it counts.
#FreeGonzo
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

dr-baker wrote:And on that note, I wonder how many within the team Jenson would still know and recognise? What would the turnover of staff be like in a company that size?

I'm not sure if it's still the case now, but in Mark Webber's autobiography he talked about how Williams was a really toxic environment for staff at all levels. It seemed like at least in his day turnover was huge.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Simtek wrote:
This wrote:Well... there's Pierluigi Martini, but other than 1992, all the cars he ever drove were the same team.

Actually, he started out at Toleman.
he DNQ'd, but I guess it counts.

Oh yeah, i forgot that anyone else than Johnny Cecotto drove that Toleman in 1984 :D Well that proves how hard it is to find someone with a relatively big career span, i guess, as before that i came up with many names, and then googled, and then nope.
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

Felice Bonetto (Maserati) and Tony Brooks (Owen's BRM), in an older era...
Bobby Doorknobs

EuroBrun wrote:

Felice Bonetto (Maserati) and Tony Brooks (Owen's BRM), in an older era...

Not quite the same with the 1950s: Bonetto started out with Scuderia Milano, which ran Maserati cars but was certainly not a works Maserati team, whilst Brooks had raced non-championship rounds in Connaughts, famously winning for the works team at Syracuse in 1955, although he did indeed make his world championship début for BRM.
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

What about Lammers? Didn't he get behind the wheel of a March at one point or another in the late 70s?

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

AndreaModa wrote:What about Lammers? Didn't he get behind the wheel of a March at one point or another in the late 70s?

Nah, March were gone by the time Lammers arrived, he started with Shadow. 1992 was the first time he'd raced a March F1 car.
#FreeGonzo
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

No-one's mentioned Ghinzani.... :facepalm:
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

Moto3 rider Romano Fenati banned from racing by his own team for behavior not in line with the disciplinary rules of a team.

Has something similar ever happened during a Formula One weekend?
Bobby Doorknobs

EuroBrun wrote:Moto3 rider Romano Fenati banned from racing by his own team for behavior not in line with the disciplinary rules of a team.

The closest example I can think of for now is Ferrari sacking Jean Behra following the 1959 French GP after he punched team manager Romolo Tavoni.
#FreeGonzo
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

3 Reprimands gets a driver a 10 place grid job. What happens if you get another one. Do you get a penalty or would your penalty be at the 6th reprimand. To me a 4th one would be another penalty otherwise its the case of 3 reprimands is bad but 4 or 5 is fine.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

peteroli34 wrote:3 Reprimands gets a driver a 10 place grid job. What happens if you get another one. Do you get a penalty or would your penalty be at the 6th reprimand.

aye that one yo
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

EuroBrun wrote:Moto3 rider Romano Fenati banned from racing by his own team for behavior not in line with the disciplinary rules of a team.

Bruno Senna supposedly missed the 2010 British Grand Prix due to a very critical e-mail he sent to Colin Kolles. Otherwise Yamamoto would have replaced Chandhok as he did in the later races. Yet another classic event in the legend of HRT. :D
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

AustralianStig wrote:I'm not sure if it's still the case now, but in Mark Webber's autobiography he talked about how Williams was a really toxic environment for staff at all levels. It seemed like at least in his day turnover was huge.

Yea, but he is a petulant whiner. So take with much salt.

Ferrari canned Prost for saying the car handled like a dump truck at the end of 1990.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Well, Renè Arnoux being sacked by Ferrari right after the first race of the 1985 season comes quite close to that. Even now, the reasons behind it are still unclear.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

Wallio wrote:Ferrari canned Prost for saying the car handled like a dump truck at the end of 1990.

He was sacked before the last race of the season, not on a Saturday evening before the race!
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

Ocon chooses #31.

This was the last time #31 was seen during a F1 race.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

EuroBrun wrote:
Wallio wrote:Ferrari canned Prost for saying the car handled like a dump truck at the end of 1990.

He was sacked before the last race of the season, not on a Saturday evening before the race!

I seem to recall it was the wednesday or Thursday of the race week, so still pretty close. And besides, what he said, while harsh, was pretty spot on. Reminds me of the scene in Rush "You can't say that, its a Ferrari!" "It's a shitebox!"

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

Wallio wrote:
EuroBrun wrote:

I seem to recall it was the wednesday or Thursday of the race week, so still pretty close. And besides, what he said, while harsh, was pretty spot on. Reminds me of the scene in Rush "You can't say that, its a Ferrari!" "It's a shitebox!"

You're right actually! The news of Prost sacked was given on 30.10.1991, so on Wednesday, although the fact Prost would be leaving the team was in the air.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

EuroBrun wrote:You're right actually! The news of Prost sacked was given on 30.10.1991, so on Wednesday, although the fact Prost would be leaving the team was in the air.

Us old guys have our moments, not many, but they come. :D Now if only I can remember what I had for breakfast...

Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

I Dont think thats ever happened in Formula One, But Prost F1 driver Tomas Enge was sacked 45 Minutes into the Mid Ohio race of the 2007 ALMS season.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

peteroli34 wrote:

I Dont think thats ever happened in Formula One, But Prost F1 driver Tomas Enge was sacked 45 Minutes into the Mid Ohio race of the 2007 ALMS season.

And of course, Paco Godia was sacked by Gordini via pitboard at the 1955 French Grand Prix for causing his teammate Consalvo Sanesi to have an accid-sorry what? It's fictional and only ever happened in this forum's alternate universe? Well, that's a shame...

Well, forget I said anything :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

How come some folk DNQ'd during 1993? There were only 26 cars and the 107% rule wasn't introduced yet, am I missing something?
Bobby Doorknobs

Mexicola wrote:How come some folk DNQ'd during 1993? There were only 26 cars and the 107% rule wasn't introduced yet, am I missing something?

In a nutshell: The FIA wanted to spice things up/make qualifying actually mean qualifying by only allowing the fastest 25 cars take the start, a rule they ditched halfway through the season. Really screwed over the BMS Lolas...

Could've been worse though, it was originally supposed to be the top 24.
#FreeGonzo
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Wallio wrote:
EuroBrun wrote:

Apparently the reality about Prost's Ferrari sacking was far more complicated than that:

http://www.autosport.com/premium/featur ... 1462953516

Don't have Autosport plus anymore, but IIRC the article says that Prost's "truck" comment has been taken way out of context. After the race in Suzuka Prost commented to the press the steering on his 643 was way too heavy which made it feel like he was steering a truck. Ferrari used this as a scapegoat to sack him. Indeed Motorsport Magazine's race report on Suzuka 1991 (so before Prost was sacked) stated;

"there was much speculation whether Prost would be at the 1991 Japanese Grand Prix and even more afterwards that he would skip Adelaide"

Page 1108, Decemeber 1991 issue.

Lauda, Gilles, Irvine & Alonso have all made similar comments about their cars whislt they have been driving for Ferrari. Yet none of those were sacked for their comments. So why Prost I hear you ask?

IIRC apparently Prost could see that Ferrari was in complete disarray around this time so wanted to take more control of the management side of things. Especially as their appeared to be no strong leader in the wake of Enzo's death. The people running the team didn't like this as they felt Prost was stepping on their shoes, and therefore looked for any excuse to get rid of him. Hence the sacking, over what IMO is a fairly tame comment. According to Motorsport Magazine Prost wanted to make a press conference at Adelaide 1991 about his point of view, but was advised not to by his lawyers simply not to cause more of a sh*tstorm.

novitopoli wrote:

Well, Renè Arnoux being sacked by Ferrari right after the first race of the 1985 season comes quite close to that. Even now, the reasons behind it are still unclear.

There was a strong rumor on Autosport's forum that was because Rene was banging the 'Old Man's' Niece whilst enjoying some of Columbia's finest nose candy. Another example to add here possibly is when Toleman made Senna sit out a race at Monza 1984, for breaking his contract early.
Last edited by ibsey on 17 Aug 2016, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Simtek wrote:
Mexicola wrote:How come some folk DNQ'd during 1993? There were only 26 cars and the 107% rule wasn't introduced yet, am I missing something?

In a nutshell: The FIA wanted to spice things up/make qualifying actually mean qualifying by only allowing the fastest 25 cars take the start, a rule they ditched halfway through the season. Really screwed over the BMS Lolas...

Christ, that sounds like the bollocks. Never knew about that, cheers.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Mexicola wrote:
Simtek wrote:

Christ, that sounds like the bollocks. Never knew about that, cheers.

IIRC there was a 107 % rule brought in at the beginning of the year but scrapped mid way through
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

After March team collapsed, they felt that there should not be automatic qualification for everyone so initially it was set that 24 will qualify and two will be left out. However, it was soon decided that every team should get to race, so there was only one non-qualifier.

After a while it was decided that there's no harm for allowing everyone to race, so everyone was allowed to race.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Bleu wrote:After March team collapsed, they felt that there should not be automatic qualification for everyone so initially it was set that 24 will qualify and two will be left out. However, it was soon decided that every team should get to race, so there was only one non-qualifier.

After a while it was decided that there's no harm for allowing everyone to race, so everyone was allowed to race.

The Lolas were so far behind everyone else that it was immediately apparent that they would both DNQ almost every time if a 24 car grid was maintained. At such a disadvantage, they upped the grid to 25 cars so at least one would qualify.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Fred Mayo

Post by Fred Mayo »

And despite the 25 car field in the Brazilian GP, both Lolas qualified, seeing as Ivan Capelli DNQed in the Jordan. Then again, after his season with Ferrari in 1992, it seemed that Capelli found F1 about as enjoyable as chopping the heads off kittens and puppies... No wonder he retired from the sport right after Brazil.

Oh and don't forget that King Luca actually qualified the Lola shitbox in 21st in Brazil, beating both Tyrrells and Barbazza in the Minardi! :badoer:
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Fred Mayo wrote:And despite the 25 car field in the Brazilian GP, both Lolas qualified, seeing as Ivan Capelli DNQed in the Jordan. Then again, after his season with Ferrari in 1992, it seemed that Capelli found F1 about as enjoyable as chopping the heads off kittens and puppies... No wonder he retired from the sport right after Brazil.

Oh and don't forget that King Luca actually qualified the Lola shitbox in 21st in Brazil, beating both Tyrrells and Barbazza in the Minardi! :badoer:

What makes you so sure Capelli doesn't enjoy chopping the heads of kittens and puppies?
Fred Mayo

Post by Fred Mayo »

This wrote:What makes you so sure Capelli doesn't enjoy chopping the heads of kittens and puppies?

True, I can't know for sure. And while I suspect that most F1 drivers are self-absorbed and self-obsessed to the point where they are totally unbearable to be around, I doubt that any of them have quite the level of psychopathic tendencies to actually enjoy such a thing as chopping heads off innocent little animals. Hopefully.

Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if someone like Max Verstappen enjoyed picking up and smashing snails against brick walls until quite recently.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

If Magnussen cant race in Italy who will replace him?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

peteroli34 wrote:If Magnussen cant race in Italy who will replace him?

Since Ocon's busy with Manor duties, Renault will round up Sergey Sirotkin, Ollie Rowland, Louis Deletraz, Nicholas Latifi and Kevin Joerg and force them to stage an impromptu "Renault's Got Talent" for the Italian crowd. Sirotkin performs a duet with Dany Kvyat, singing "Everybody Hurts" and wowing the crowd, whilst Nicholas Latifi is disqualified for singing Nickelback. "Louis Lewis" Deletraz steals the show with his version of "Hip To Be Square", a song so catchy, most people don't even listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends, but it's also a statement about the band itself!
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

peteroli34 wrote:If Magnussen cant race in Italy who will replace him?

Is Carmen Jorda still one of the reserves? ;)
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.