The 2016 British Grand Prix Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Rob Dylan

Re: The 2016 British Grand Prix Thread

Post by Rob Dylan »

East Londoner wrote:Rosberg being booed by the crowd, even more so as Hamilton and Webber tell them to knock it off. Way to make ourselves look like even bigger jackasses to the world, Britain. :facepalm:

Webber told them to stop, Hamilton didn't. Hamilton butted in that it's great that the British crowd don't boo people after much quite loud and blatant booing, and right before Webber was going to Rosberg. Surprise, surprise, the crowd react to that by booing even louder, while Lewis stands smugly to one side. That really irked me, as those on the live chat will know.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

Rob Dylan wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Rosberg being booed by the crowd, even more so as Hamilton and Webber tell them to knock it off. Way to make ourselves look like even bigger jackasses to the world, Britain. :facepalm:

Webber told them to stop, Hamilton didn't. Hamilton butted in that it's great that the British crowd don't boo people after much quite loud and blatant booing, and right before Webber was going to Rosberg. Surprise, surprise, the crowd react to that by booing even louder, while Lewis stands smugly to one side. That really irked me, as those on the live chat will know.

I think Lewis was telling the crowd, in a very cheeky way, to cool it. I could be wrong here, but I don't think Lewis would choose to act so obliviously to the crowd being total morons.

Of course the crowd doesn't listen because to them, Nico Rosberg is F1's equivalent to NASCAR's Joey Logano.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Another promising wet race ruined by Charlie Whitting and his bad decisions again. I regret watching this race.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Christ almighty it's not the end of the world people. Yeah it's bad but let's take a look at what happened last week. Is it any surprise after a home win, adrenaline pumping, plenty of alcohol as well, that a bunch of fans will get a bit cocky and boo? Who cares?

I was more pissed about the safety car start. How to ruin F1's casual fan base.

Rest of it was quality though. Drivers really working out there and some great battles. Good race overall, if I'd been there I would go home happy, especially if I'd been watching down at Abbey!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

So this is what it's come to. A not particularly wet track leading to yet another Safety Car start.

The ludicrous confusion over radio messages leading to a potential completely unjustifiable penalty.

Sky F1 coverage even more swivel-eyed and retarded than usual.

Congratulations Bernie, Charlie and Sky - you have collectively got me to the point where, for the first time since 1982, I am seriously considering just not bothering with this shite any more.

I'd love to go to Youtube and watch some old F1 but ****ing FOM deprive us of even that joy.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

I'm less inclined to blame FIA mainly because of being cautious to what happened to Jules and the legal stuff like a user has pointed out earlier. While I don't disagree with it, I can't really blame them. Eventually we'll see a time where this won't happen like soon rather than later.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Barbazza wrote:So this is what it's come to. A not particularly wet track leading to yet another Safety Car start.

The ludicrous confusion over radio messages leading to a potential completely unjustifiable penalty.

Sky F1 coverage even more swivel-eyed and retarded than usual.

Congratulations Bernie, Charlie and Sky - you have collectively got me to the point where, for the first time since 1982, I am seriously considering just not bothering with this shite any more.

I'd love to go to Youtube and watch some old F1 but ****ing FOM deprive us of even that joy.

Try Dailymotion. FOM don't know it exists! :pantano:

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

There are speculations about Nico getting a 20 seconds penalty, dropping him to 4th place and promoting Lewis into the lead of the championship.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Ah, cheers AndreaModa!

I have some old races on DVD admittedly (although that ahem, source dried up before I could complete my collection) but there's nothing like an instant fix of old F1!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Barbazza wrote:Ah, cheers AndreaModa!

I have some old races on DVD admittedly (although that ahem, source dried up before I could complete my collection) but there's nothing like an instant fix of old F1!

Yeah there's some good stuff on there. A few users have uploaded whole seasons with UK commentary which is handy!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

A shame the rain didn't stick around and that it was same-old same-old for Mercedes after all that, but at least there was some excitement along the way.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Rosberg's been handed a 10 second penalty, and as a result drops to P3. However, considering he may have well retired with that gearbox issue, it seems like an astute call by the team and he still comes out in the championship lead (albeit with just one point ahead of Hamilton).
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ataxia wrote:Rosberg's been handed a 10 second penalty, and as a result drops to P3. However, considering he may have well retired with that gearbox issue, it seems like an astute call by the team and he still comes out in the championship lead (albeit with just one point ahead of Hamilton).

A 10-second penalty that guarantees a points finish (and, in this case, a podium)? Sounds like it's worth doing.

Asked what would have happened if the message had not been relayed, Wolff said: "It would have been stuck in seventh gear and that would have been the end, probably."

Silverstone is a rather high speed track, right? Schumacher managed to finish a bigger proportion of the 1994 Spanish GP in 5th gear. Rosberg might have struggled on the section that leads onto the Wellington straight, but would probably still have finished on the podium regardless. Might even have cost him more than 10 seconds, though.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

If 10 seconds is all you get for that kind of radio message, I can see quite a few of them happening in the future. That's only half of a drive-through penalty, time-wise.
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Rosberg's been handed a 10 second penalty, and as a result drops to P3. However, considering he may have well retired with that gearbox issue, it seems like an astute call by the team and he still comes out in the championship lead (albeit with just one point ahead of Hamilton).

A 10-second penalty that guarantees a points finish (and, in this case, a podium)? Sounds like it's worth doing.

Asked what would have happened if the message had not been relayed, Wolff said: "It would have been stuck in seventh gear and that would have been the end, probably."

Silverstone is a rather high speed track, right? Schumacher managed to finish a bigger proportion of the 1994 Spanish GP in 5th gear. Rosberg might have struggled on the section that leads onto the Wellington straight, but would probably still have finished on the podium regardless. Might even have cost him more than 10 seconds, though.

I think that it would have cost him quite a bit more than that - his lap time on lap 46, which I think was the lap where he had that issue, was over 3 seconds slower than his previous one, and he was only really affected for around a third of the lap.

If Rosberg had been able to limp home to the finish setting times that were around 3-4s a lap off the pace, he probably would have been passed by Verstappen and Ricciardo. However, given how far behind Kimi was at the time - around 56 seconds behind Rosberg - he could have afforded to lose around double that and still held onto 4th place.

I can only assume that they were more worried about the prospect of a gearbox failure - asides from the loss of the podium, it would have also meant a gearbox penalty at the Hungarian GP, one of the hardest venues to try and recover from a grid penalty at in dry conditions.

Fetzie wrote:If 10 seconds is all you get for that kind of radio message, I can see quite a few of them happening in the future.

I am inclined to agree with you there and, now the precedent has been set, we are going to start to see more teams openly challenge the radio restrictions now.

I guess that the stewards did not want to take too hard a line in case they were perceived as influencing the WDC but, when the potential time and points loss would have a larger impact, I expect most teams will quite happily take the risk and give the order to their driver.

[Edit] And right on cue, Horner has come out and said exactly that - if the penalty is relatively mild, then the teams are now just going to strategically break the rule:
"What will be interesting to see is the precedent that the stewards now come up with, because if if it just a five-second penalty or a reprimand, then it is all fair game for the rest of the year," said Horner.

"There will be loads of messages that will take into account whether it is worth five seconds or not, or a reprimand to give to the car.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/horne ... 53295&em=1

However, it seems that Mercedes have now decided to lodge an appeal against the decision by the stewards to penalise Rosberg. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... 53295&em=1

I wonder if Mercedes really will go through with the appeal though - given that the resultant penalty has had a fairly mild effect, would they really want to risk having a harsher penalty being applied at an appeal hearing?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Fetzie wrote:If 10 seconds is all you get for that kind of radio message, I can see quite a few of them happening in the future. That's only half of a drive-through penalty, time-wise.

I'm sure they'll adjust it based on what they perceive as the severity. I feel they wanted to demote him a position to make a point and if Verstappen had been thirteen seconds back the fine would've been twenty seconds etc etc.

But either way faced with the choice of retiring a car or finishing with the threat of a time penalty surely all teams will do what they need to. Mercedes did the right thing.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote: I wonder if Mercedes really will go through with the appeal though - given that the resultant penalty has had a fairly mild effect, would they really want to risk having a harsher penalty being applied at an appeal hearing

Ultimately, what they will care about is getting a 1-2 in the WDC, and therefore the WCC, and getting this penalty changed won't really change much in trying to achieve that aim.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Nonsense nonsense nonsense. Now tempted to follow through what I said and give up. At the very least, Sky Sports is getting cancelled soon. Makes sense while I'm out of work....
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Barbazza wrote:Nonsense nonsense nonsense. Now tempted to follow through what I said and give up. At the very least, Sky Sports is getting cancelled soon. Makes sense while I'm out of work....

Well get it binned then. Put up or shut up. Carpe Diem. Unless you remain a slave to Murdoch it'll be taken from you anyway in a couple if years. Since that was announced I've felt much more relaxed about F1 and I've missed a couple of races this season and not really felt left out.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote:Nonsense nonsense nonsense. Now tempted to follow through what I said and give up. At the very least, Sky Sports is getting cancelled soon. Makes sense while I'm out of work....

You'll still have BTCC, FE and Manx TT on ITV4... It's not like F1 is the only popular motorsport category in this country...
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
mario wrote: I wonder if Mercedes really will go through with the appeal though - given that the resultant penalty has had a fairly mild effect, would they really want to risk having a harsher penalty being applied at an appeal hearing

Ultimately, what they will care about is getting a 1-2 in the WDC, and therefore the WCC, and getting this penalty changed won't really change much in trying to achieve that aim.

On reflection, it seems to be even more pointless in lodging an appeal in the first place - a user on another forum dug out the section of the regulations and pointed out that time penalties, which is what Rosberg was given, fall into a class of penalties which the regulations explicitly state cannot be appealed against.

The FIA will surely throw out the appeal as being invalid, so I can't see what benefit Mercedes gain from lodging a notice saying they intend to appeal against the penalty - all it is going to do is cause a slight delay before the FIA can formally announce the results as being official instead of provisional results.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'm not having it. I'm not having those Canadians being one better than us with their 'Wall Of Champions'.

In light of Turn 1 yesterday causing excursions from Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso and Raikkonen I hereby suggest we rename it The Damp Patch Of Champions!

Who's with me? Come on xenophobic Brits, we can make this happen!
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

CoopsII wrote:I'm not having it. I'm not having those Canadians being one better than us with their 'Wall Of Champions'.

In light of Turn 1 yesterday causing excursions from Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso and Raikkonen I hereby suggest we rename it The Damp Patch Of Champions!

I'm disappointed by what seems to be a lack of people voting for it as ROTR, so I can get behind this!
#FreeGonzo
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Simtek wrote:
CoopsII wrote:I'm not having it. I'm not having those Canadians being one better than us with their 'Wall Of Champions'.

I'm disappointed by what seems to be a lack of people voting for it as ROTR, so I can get behind this!

I'm up to naming it that. :P
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

For the first time, I really felt disconnected from F1. I was watching that damp start behind Safety Car. It felt weird. A minutes later, after a few laps of real racing, my wife said she needed the laptop to do some work. I gladly gave it to her and that was the race for me. I still check out the positions some way mid race before turn off for good and going to lunch.

Usually I would say that 2017 can't come soon enough, but there is nothing wrong with these technical rules. The problem lies elsewhere...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

Don't forget to add good ol' Rio to that list. He did win a Formula BMW title in 200something. That damp patch should win ROTR by default anyway for wrecking his race (yes, I know I didn't actually vote for that). :P
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

CoopsII wrote:Well get it binned then. Put up or shut up. Carpe Diem. Unless you remain a slave to Murdoch it'll be taken from you anyway in a couple if years. Since that was announced I've felt much more relaxed about F1 and I've missed a couple of races this season and not really felt left out.

Sorry I spoke! No need for that kind of language thanks - I don't intend to leave the forum but then again...
Last edited by Barbazza on 11 Jul 2016, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Nothing to see here now....
Last edited by Barbazza on 11 Jul 2016, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Barbazza wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Well get it binned then. Put up or shut up. Carpe Diem. Unless you remain a slave to Murdoch it'll be taken from you anyway in a couple if years. Since that was announced I've felt much more relaxed about F1 and I've missed a couple of races this season and not really felt left out.

Sorry I spoke! No need for that kind of language thanks - I don't intend to leave the forum but then again...

I genuinely didn't mean to cause offence so I apologise for being an accidental dickhead. In mitigation I take Methotrexate on a Sunday and it often leaves me a little bit out of it and not always thinking clearly. I have no such excuses for the other six days of the week, of course.
Just For One Day...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Much appreciated Coops - in return, I feel that I should apologise too for flying off a bit. I'm not having a very happy time in general at the moment and venting on here is not a fair way to let off steam!

Given my feelings on current F1 I'll probably take a break from this section of the forum anyway, though I'll still be active in the other sections.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Barbazza wrote:Given my feelings on current F1 I'll probably take a break from this section of the forum anyway, though I'll still be active in the other sections.

Nah, stick around. I myself intend to continue to vote on the ROTR and IIDOTR polls long after F1 has left free TV except my nominations will be from races from history but only I'll know which races....
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:
Barbazza wrote:Given my feelings on current F1 I'll probably take a break from this section of the forum anyway, though I'll still be active in the other sections.

Nah, stick around. I myself intend to continue to vote on the ROTR and IIDOTR polls long after F1 has left free TV except my nominations will be from races from history but only I'll know which races....

I'm looking forward to the race where Fangio and Moss get IIDOTR while Senna and Prost get ROTR... (you didn't say each nomination would be from the same race... ;) )
MCard LOLA
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

CoopsII wrote:

Thats a forum guessing game right there. Perfect for the off season!
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Coops/Barbazza - get a room will ya! :D
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

I like to imagine that Bernd Maylander cries his eyes out every time Charlie sends him out for the start of the race. Because if he doesn't, he's Satan's little helper.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Mexicola wrote:I like to imagine that Bernd Maylander cries his eyes out every time Charlie sends him out for the start of the race.

I always imagine him thinking "I bet that twat behind me is radioing in about me going too slow like they all do"
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Imagine Charlie talking to him on the radio later though:

"Oi, Bernd, the guys behind are complaining so could you maybe...you know...drive a little faster?"
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Rob Dylan wrote:Imagine Charlie talking to him on the radio later though:

"Oi, Bernd, the guys behind are complaining so could you maybe...you know...drive a little faster?"

To which I hope he replies "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing!"

Anybody else miss the days when Raikkonen was at Lotus? I mean, irrespective of how you felt about those radio messages (because I know lots of people didn't find them amusing) he was exciting to watch in the Lotus in a way I don't think I've seen since. All subjective I know.....
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Was it not the same when he went to Ferrari in 2007? Though he won the championship that year, we really didn't see any of the brilliant races from him like we saw at McLaren, especially in the later years. Is there something about driving for Ferrari that just drains the inspiration out of Kimi? :D

A lot of people were sad that Montoya went to McLaren for the same reason. The inspiration just appeared to dissipate.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Spectoremg wrote:Coops/Barbazza - get a room will ya! :D

Hee hee. Can't wait for this IIDOTR / ROTR from past races game though. ROTR for Jarier, Alliot and Arnoux is going to be VERY hard to narrow down.....