2016 Grand Prix of Azerbaijan thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Aguaman

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Azerbaijan thread

Post by Aguaman »

So Ricciardo will be P2, Vettel P3, Raikkonen P4, Kvyat beats Verstappen and Perez sadly drops to 7th. Hamilton really struggling with keep it on track.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Well, perhaps next time Hamilton is regretting not doing that track walk now...

Oh and Danny Ric, you're a freak. Stop making us all feel inferior!
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
mario

Post by mario »

AustralianStig wrote:Well, perhaps next time Hamilton is regretting not doing that track walk now...

Oh and Danny Ric, you're a freak. Stop making us all feel inferior!

The strange thing is, he was extremely comfortable in the first two practise sessions whilst Rosberg was the one who seemed to be having a lot of issues.

One thing that does seem to have changed between yesterday and today is that Pirelli decided to drop the tyre pressures by 1psi overnight. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pirel ... 89347/?s=1

Now, ever since that change was made, it looks like Hamilton's car just hasn't looked as stable as it was on Friday - I wonder if that might possibly explain why he has suddenly started having those problems.

To be honest, though, Hulkenberg was rather disappointing in qualifying too - he made quite a few mistakes as well and just looked as if he was just trying too hard to make up time that wasn't there to be had.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Really disappointed with Hamilton's performance, and to be honest, most drivers really. The amount of people running straight on at corners, clipping walls, spinning, etc is too high. It seems like everyone is pushing at 101% which is fine on a track with acres of run-off which is the norm these days, but on a track like this it simply can't be done.

Not sensible driving at all, and with Mercedes' performance advantage, Hamilton could afford to put a 90% lap in and still be confident of being at least second overall. Now he's got a job on his hands from tenth.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

AndreaModa wrote:Really disappointed with Hamilton's performance, and to be honest, most drivers really. The amount of people running straight on at corners, clipping walls, spinning, etc is too high. It seems like everyone is pushing at 101% which is fine on a track with acres of run-off which is the norm these days, but on a track like this it simply can't be done.

Not sensible driving at all, and with Mercedes' performance advantage, Hamilton could afford to put a 90% lap in and still be confident of being at least second overall. Now he's got a job on his hands from tenth.
You've hit the nail on the head; too used to huge run off areas.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

mario wrote:One thing that does seem to have changed between yesterday and today is that Pirelli decided to drop the tyre pressures by 1psi overnight. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pirel ... 89347/?s=1

Now, ever since that change was made, it looks like Hamilton's car just hasn't looked as stable as it was on Friday - I wonder if that might possibly explain why he has suddenly started having those problems.

I suspect that's what's causing Hamilton's mistakes.

mario wrote:To be honest, though, Hulkenberg was rather disappointing in qualifying too - he made quite a few mistakes as well and just looked as if he was just trying too hard to make up time that wasn't there to be had.

Based on their pace in practice and Checo's P2 finish in Q3, I wonder if Force India has podium-level speed this weekend. It would be amusing if that Q2 elimination effectively costs Hulk a shot at the podium which eventually goes to his teammate. Again.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

I reckon Pastor would have been gun in this track. Street circuits are his forte. Plus he's better than Palmer.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

good_Ralf wrote:
mario wrote:To be honest, though, Hulkenberg was rather disappointing in qualifying too - he made quite a few mistakes as well and just looked as if he was just trying too hard to make up time that wasn't there to be had.

Based on their pace in practice and Checo's P2 finish in Q3, I wonder if Force India has podium-level speed this weekend. It would be amusing if that Q2 elimination effectively costs Hulk a shot at the podium which eventually goes to his teammate. Again.

That would be the complete opposite of amusing...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

good_Ralf wrote:
mario wrote:One thing that does seem to have changed between yesterday and today is that Pirelli decided to drop the tyre pressures by 1psi overnight. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pirel ... 89347/?s=1

I suspect that's what's causing Hamilton's mistakes.

Not really... I mean, that stupid ____ing sun getting in his eyes definitely screwed his lap up. The sun is obviously favoring Nico this weekend.

In case you guys think I'm serious, I'm just spoofing something the Sky commentators allegedly said during qualifying...
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Aguaman wrote:I reckon Pastor would have been gun in this track. Street circuits are his forte. Plus he's better than Palmer.

ummmm...... yeah Lethal springs to mind
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ok, ok, enough about the championship leaders (yawn) what about Haryanto? Rio rocked it!
Just For One Day...
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I have a feeling Kvyat and Hamilton will crash tomorrow.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

CoopsII wrote:Ok, ok, enough about the championship leaders (yawn) what about Haryanto? Rio rocked it!

He's done a very solid job and kept himself out of trouble. I believe a few people were saying on Twitter that he's the only driver to not have been involved in any incidents so far!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AndreaModa wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Ok, ok, enough about the championship leaders (yawn) what about Haryanto? Rio rocked it!

He's done a very solid job and kept himself out of trouble. I believe a few people were saying on Twitter that he's the only driver to not have been involved in any incidents so far!

It's too early to get excited, it'll be a long race and difficult to keep out of trouble, but I think it's interesting that the first track this season where they're all learning where the corners are at the same time and he turns in a semi decent qualifying session.
Just For One Day...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Hamilton will not start the race in his Q2 tyre set.

Instead, Pirelli are giving him a set with the same mileage. :facepalm:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

WeirdKerr wrote:
Aguaman wrote:I reckon Pastor would have been gun in this track. Street circuits are his forte. Plus he's better than Palmer.

ummmm...... yeah Lethal springs to mind

He's done well at Monaco, Valencia and Singapore. He just makes mistakes in tracks wiht a lot of room. Go figure.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Miguel98 wrote:Hamilton will not start the race in his Q2 tyre set.

Instead, Pirelli are giving him a set with the same mileage. :facepalm:

I believe he damaged that set in his Q3 accident - there's dispensation in the rules for this, so it's not exactly unfair.

I did read somewhere that nearly every set of his tyres had a flat spot, so he might still end up with rubbish tyres to start the race on.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

One thing I am happy about is the 2pm UK start time - as I finish work at 1 on Sundays, it means this is a lunchtime race I can actually watch live for a change, rather than on half an hour's delay!
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

The track looks super narrow, I don't know how anyone will pull off a pass.Probably just stay out of trouble and hope cars in front hit the walls.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

There doesn't seem to be too much trouble passing, but it's not quite been the crazy start many were expecting, has it?
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

This is just a strategy race cause no one is going to hit the walls....yet.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Lewis is whining a lot. Crofty is whining more.

Di Resta is like "k"

You are a GOD, PAUL DI RESTA. A GOD!!!
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Reject of the race for Lewis hamilton, literally an hour after the Toyota drivers had all the reason in the world to go nuts and instead were classy and reserved after what happened at Le Mans, Hamilton throws his toys out of the pram, sooner this prat is out of the sport the better
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

sswishbone wrote:Reject of the race for Lewis hamilton, literally an hour after the Toyota drivers had all the reason in the world to go nuts and instead were classy and reserved after what happened at Le Mans, Hamilton throws his toys out of the pram, sooner this prat is out of the sport the better

Drivers tend to get frustrated far more easily when they're in the cockpit. Wait until post-race interviews, then judge Hamilton's attitude ;)
#FreeGonzo
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Simtek wrote:
sswishbone wrote:Reject of the race for Lewis hamilton, literally an hour after the Toyota drivers had all the reason in the world to go nuts and instead were classy and reserved after what happened at Le Mans, Hamilton throws his toys out of the pram, sooner this prat is out of the sport the better

Drivers tend to get frustrated far more easily when they're in the cockpit. Wait until post-race interviews, then judge Hamilton's attitude ;)

Judging by some of the hyperbole he's come out with in the past I doubt my mind will change! :D
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Kimi is doing the same as Lewis, sooooo
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

That surprised me, I don't know, maybe driver moaning will be my nomination then :oops:

andrew

Post by andrew »

Well that was a massive disspointment (the race) no crashes or safety car restarts
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Oh dear, what a dull race.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

What a burn from Lauda.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Not a particularly eventful race, but by no means a dull one. Some good fights going on in the midfield, and the TV production work was top notch too.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

DRS zone on main straight was almost as over-powered as Turkey 2011

Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Thought this was better than Canadian GP without a doubt.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Well, that was a very exciting race. 200bpm heart rate the whole time.

[/sarcasm]
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Aguaman wrote:Lewis is whining a lot. Crofty is whining more.

Di Resta is like "k"

You are a GOD, PAUL DI RESTA. A GOD!!!

I wasn't keen on him last time, but this week he was a lot better. Much fairer in his comments and about 500% less up Lewis's arse than Crofty and Brundle.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Let me tell you: If Pérez hadn't had that five-place grid penalty, he could've won this race today. At the very least it could've been an extremely interesting fight for the lead between him and Rosberg.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Cue Sky F1's hour long coverage of 'why can't they tell them what to do on team radio. WHYYYYY?'
Ignoring the fact that Kimi had the same problem (and Rosberg too, it turns out) and taking the 'Lewis is wronged' tack as ever.

Equally sick making was their 'holier than thou' attitude over drivers swearing on team radio more now by pinning it all on Ferrari and saying it was bad for their image. Ignoring the fact that most of them are doing it, and when Lewis did later nothing was said naturally.

It's a shame that we don't have a decent terrestrial offering to rival Sky F1 and give them a run for their money. I had to watch C4 coverage of qualifying yesterday and apart from DC, it was exactly as bad as I was expecting..
andrew

Post by andrew »

Barbazza wrote:Cue Sky F1's hour long coverage of 'why can't they tell them what to do on team radio. WHYYYYY?'
Ignoring the fact that Kimi had the same problem (and Rosberg too, it turns out) and taking the 'Lewis is wronged' tack as ever.

Equally sick making was their 'holier than thou' attitude over drivers swearing on team radio more now by pinning it all on Ferrari and saying it was bad for their image. Ignoring the fact that most of them are doing it, and when Lewis did later nothing was said naturally.

It's a shame that we don't have a decent terrestrial offering to rival Sky F1 and give them a run for their money. I had to watch C4 coverage of qualifying yesterday and apart from DC, it was exactly as bad as I was expecting..

Re the swearing thing, the Ferrari drivers have been doing far more than anyone else this season and this is the first time that Lewis has done it so they probally will not react in the same way.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Barbazza wrote:It's a shame that we don't have a decent terrestrial offering to rival Sky F1 and give them a run for their money. I had to watch C4 coverage of qualifying yesterday and apart from DC, it was exactly as bad as I was expecting..

In what way? I know what I'd rather have!

Race was naff, I didn't see Canada so can't compare, but having watched about two thirds of Le Mans it highlights how dull F1 can be. You expect endurance racing to be a long game, you can have it on in the background and get on with other stuff at the same time without missing too much. F1 needed this race to be good and it wasn't. Not good.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

Waris wrote:Let me tell you: If Pérez hadn't had that five-place grid penalty, he could've won this race today. At the very least it could've been an extremely interesting fight for the lead between him and Rosberg.

I have to disagree there, because I think that Rosberg had a lot more up his sleeves than he was showing and was simply driving to maintain a decent gap to Vettel and not taking too much out of his tyres in case of a late safety car.

I think that he probably would have had a shot at 2nd place, given that Vettel didn't finish that far up the road from him, but I don't think that Perez had the raw pace to challenge Rosberg for the win.

andrew wrote:Re the swearing thing, the Ferrari drivers have been doing far more than anyone else this season and this is the first time that Lewis has done it so they probally will not react in the same way.

A few people seem to have commented about that, and I do feel that Vettel and Raikkonen seem to have complained a lot more about being held up and about the behaviour of other drivers on track than last year.

Perhaps it is because they've not made as much progress as they'd hoped for over the winter and can't rely on being able to pull out a gap on their rivals? That might then make the drivers more desperate to get past backmarkers to minimise time losses, which in turn makes them more liable to complain when they're held up.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"