Re: 2016 Canadian Grand Prix thread

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Izzyeviel wrote:Groundhog Day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeb08cbUswk
#FreeGonzo
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Wow, Haas going very aggressive again with their tire choice. I really hope it works out finally because they've been off the points-scoring wagon for a few races now. Just watch, the super-soft will be the best tire.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Simtek wrote:
Izzyeviel wrote:Groundhog Day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeb08cbUswk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6szAhX8oJE

Arent they cute??
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

The tyre allocation means that every driver has to use softs during the race. Each team has, as you can see, at least two soft sets.

So for example US/SS/US is not allowed this time.
mario

Post by mario »

Bleu wrote:The tyre allocation means that every driver has to use softs during the race. Each team has, as you can see, at least two soft sets.

Which is a shame in a way, since I suspect that the race strategies will then boil down to US-S for the top 10 and S-US for those outside it - only Haas might try going for two stints on the US tyres, given that they made a similar strategy work in Bahrain.

On another note, Renault have confirmed that, following his shunt in Monaco, Palmer will be using a new chassis in Canada after heavily damaging the front of his chassis. Magnussen, though, will be keeping his current chassis given that he only damaged the detachable crash structures. https://adamcooperf1.com/2016/06/03/new ... aco-shunt/

Meanwhile, Arrivabene has announced that Ferrari will be bringing an upgraded engine - with the rumours indicating that the turbocharger will be modified to address Ferrari's early season reliability issues - for this race.

However, the team are still negotiating with the FIA over whether the changes can be introduced on reliability ground, or if Ferrari will need to expend some of their development tokens in order to introduce the new parts, as Renault did when they introduced their new engine in Monaco (when they spent 3 tokens, leaving them with 21 for the rest of the season). Given Ferrari have just 6 tokens for the remainder of this year, having to spend tokens on their turbocharger upgrade now could have a major impact - I imagine that they will be working furiously to persuade the FIA that they don't need to spend tokens. http://www.f1technical.net/news/20357
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

mario wrote:
Bleu wrote:The tyre allocation means that every driver has to use softs during the race. Each team has, as you can see, at least two soft sets.

Which is a shame in a way, since I suspect that the race strategies will then boil down to US-S for the top 10 and S-US for those outside it - only Haas might try going for two stints on the US tyres, given that they made a similar strategy work in Bahrain.

They have to get rid of the mandatory tyre usage rules. We finally have the ability to mix the strategies up and the teams are hobbled by being forced to use a certain tyre. Completely pointless.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

AndreaModa wrote:
mario wrote:

They have to get rid of the mandatory tyre usage rules. We finally have the ability to mix the strategies up and the teams are hobbled by being forced to use a certain tyre. Completely pointless.

I for one would love to see the ability to use 2 different compounds on the car at one time say Softs on the front and Medium on the rears.....
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

WeirdKerr wrote:
I for one would love to see the ability to use 2 different compounds on the car at one time say Softs on the front and Medium on the rears.....

Williams gave that a go at Spa last year, I believe...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

Ataxia wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:

Williams gave that a go at Spa last year, I believe...

lol yeah,
it was done a lot in the mid 80s .......
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

AndreaModa wrote:
mario wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Give the teams more freedom with tyre strategies, teams may take big gambles with less conventional strategies.

The fact that there's more freedom than before has spiced up the action already this year, why not go the whole way?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I won't be watching, it's on past my bedtime on Sunday.
Just For One Day...
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

Watching FP2 they seem o be a few drivers flirting with the wall of champions.... don't think anyone has hit it quite yet though
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

Welp. Sainz is the Wall of Champion's first victim this weekend.
johnston21

Post by johnston21 »

Funny, Rosberg wasn't wearing a (Merc) cap during the post-Qualy interview.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Nice bit of Jenson Button-weather in prospect today.

Come on, let's have one last great day!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

The Sky F1 commentary is now so far beyond a joke that it's laughable. Not until the replay did they even acknowledge that the Mercedes had touched. Yeah, of course they did dum-dums - when Lewis shoved Nico off the bloody road! Farcical.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Bugger. I jinxed Jenson!
Francis23

Post by Francis23 »

Barbazza wrote:The Sky F1 commentary is now so far beyond a joke that it's laughable. Not until the replay did they even acknowledge that the Mercedes had touched. Yeah, of course they did dum-dums - when Lewis shoved Nico off the bloody road! Farcical.

In fairness Lewis was just holding the inside line, up to Nico to yield there
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Most exciting bit of the race - Gutierrez evoking the spirit of Deletraz by holding up 2 different cars then immediately weaving around. Well done, sir.

Sky F1 commentary continues to be utterly terrible. Crofty claiming that Nico holds the record for youngest person with a fastest lap, at Bahrain in....2016. Erm...

As for Di Resta, god almighty, it's almost as bad as having to listen to Jackie Stewart. Almost.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Well, that was tedious. More bias at the end - obviously that was instantly Rosberg's mistake, not possibly that his brakes or tyres were bathplug or anything like that. Seriously thinking of cancelling their stupid, overpriced crap channel.

The ONLY thing worth cheering - Bottas on the podium. Oh, and the aforementioned Gutierrez silliness.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Hamilton quoting Ali. FFS - you're not worthy to lick his boots Lewis.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Oh dear, a disappointing race on the whole - the hoped-for rain never turned up!
mario

Post by mario »

Francis23 wrote:
Barbazza wrote:The Sky F1 commentary is now so far beyond a joke that it's laughable. Not until the replay did they even acknowledge that the Mercedes had touched. Yeah, of course they did dum-dums - when Lewis shoved Nico off the bloody road! Farcical.

In fairness Lewis was just holding the inside line, up to Nico to yield there

Equally, later in the race Verstappen squeezed Rosberg pretty hard into Turn 1 as well - to be honest, compared to previous seasons, what Hamilton did there was no worse than what most other drivers do at the start.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

Damn it, Ferrari. That Alan Gustafson-tier screwup with the VSC sure helped your upgrades, didn't it?

I'm probably totally wrong about that. I just didn't want another Merc to win that, especially Lewis.
Last edited by lance_rambert on 12 Jun 2016, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Did anyone see where Rosberg passed hulkenburg earlier in the race as my sky box lost signal due to a storm
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

mario wrote:Equally, later in the race Verstappen squeezed Rosberg pretty hard into Turn 1 as well - to be honest, compared to previous seasons, what Hamilton did there was no worse than what most other drivers do at the start.

I don't care if I'm on my own here, I've just seen it again and the wheel banging goes on before they are starting to turn in on the corner. Not convinced, sorry, 'understeer' or not. And hilarious that Nico swore in his interview (with Sky as usual being really jumpy about language - it's after the watershed now guys!!)
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I'm wondering why the stewards didn't investigate Hamilton for forcing Rosberg off the track after the turn 1 and I say again, Rosberg was "too nice" in giving his position to Hamilton in Monaco. Now, Hamilton threw him off the track in return. Also, no investigation about Magnussen and Nasr contact (although I feel Nasr closed the door, giving no room for Magnussen).

Average race, but understandable for a one race stop. Pirelli tyres are too hard for this track.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Dj_bereta wrote:I'm wondering why the stewards didn't investigate Hamilton for forcing Rosberg off the track after the turn 1 and I say again, Rosberg was "too nice" in giving his position to Hamilton in Monaco. Now, Hamilton threw him off the track in return. Also, no investigation about Magnussen and Nasr contact (although I feel Nasr closed the door, giving no room for Magnussen).

Average race, but understandable for a one race stop. Pirelli tyres are too hard for this track.

They don't tend to investigate first lap incidents, I am slightly suprised Grosjean wasn't invested for holding Vettel up for an entire lap passing around 5 blue flags
mario

Post by mario »

lance_rambert wrote:Damn it, Ferrari. That Alan Gustafson-tier screwup with the VSC sure helped your upgrades, didn't it?

To be fair, I expect Ferrari were slightly cautious given that they were having issues with front tyre graining in the practise sessions when they simulated their race runs.

They might have thought that they were going to struggle on that front and might not be able to eke out 45-50 laps on the soft tyres, hence the decision to gamble on a two stop strategy - equally, given that the two stop was only fractionally slower on paper and the VSC would have actually given Vettel an advantage (since Hamilton could not go at full speed on the track), they might have decided it was worth the gamble.

It also has to be said that Vettel did have some very poor laps too - we saw him overshooting the last chicane several times (I think at least three times), and he also locked his brakes and ran wide into Turn 10 more than once too. He lost quite a bit of time through those errors - I'd say probably in the order of around 3-4s at least - so Vettel probably should have been a lot closer to Hamilton than he eventually finished.

andrew wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:I'm wondering why the stewards didn't investigate Hamilton for forcing Rosberg off the track after the turn 1 and I say again, Rosberg was "too nice" in giving his position to Hamilton in Monaco. Now, Hamilton threw him off the track in return. Also, no investigation about Magnussen and Nasr contact (although I feel Nasr closed the door, giving no room for Magnussen).

They don't tend to investigate first lap incidents, I am slightly suprised Grosjean wasn't invested for holding Vettel up for an entire lap passing around 5 blue flags

As you say, they tend to give the drivers more leeway on the first lap given that they are in much closer proximity and therefore the risk of collisions are higher. That said, I do agree that I am a little surprised that the Nasr-Magnussen clash wasn't investigated at all, even if just to declare it a racing incident.

I'd agree that Grosjean was holding Vettel up quite badly there though - I can see why Vettel was complaining over the radio, and I also agree that, given it was quite evident from the external cameras, it is a little surprising that Grosjean got away with that one.
Samster

Post by Samster »

First corner and I'm already pissed off beyond belief. Just how many times is Lewis going to get away with just shoving people off the track. Remember how Sainz was penalized for alot less in Russia? 9 laps into the C4 highlights and I'm already considering just switching off. :facepalm:
Neno

Post by Neno »

Rosberg should have crashed hamilton in the first turn,.

I don't like F1 drivers being so aggressive these days, like verstappen defense vs Rosberg too.

And I don't like Rosberg, in the past, he did the same to others drivers but these banzai defense have to stop
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

One thing I have to say: what the bathplugg FIA? What are these tyres you told Pirelli to built? :facepalm:

Not just they have more grip than the SS, they also last longer it seems. :facepalm:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
mario

Post by mario »

Miguel98 wrote:One thing I have to say: what the bathplugg FIA? What are these tyres you told Pirelli to built? :facepalm:

Not just they have more grip than the SS, they also last longer it seems. :facepalm:

The thing is, the two races where we have seen those tyres being used saw unusual circumstances which helped eke out their lifespan.

In Monaco, asides from the fact that the tarmac is not especially abrasive, the cold and damp track surface meant that the drivers were running much slower lap times than normal, significantly reducing the effect of thermal degradation. Similarly, Montreal also saw unusually cold track temperatures during the race - about 21ºC during the race, whereas the practise sessions saw temperatures over 35ºC - and the circuit also has an unusually smooth microfabric.

In both of those races, the unusually cool ambient conditions should have helped reduce the risk of thermally induced degradation, which tends to be the more dominant factor in performance loss than physical wear for these tyres.

Asides from that, there are also circuit specific conditions - Monaco is a circuit where, as Hamilton demonstrated, it is possible to drive at a relatively slow speed and nurse the tyres whilst still keeping an attacking driver behind who, by contrast, is having to suffer from the turbulent wake of the leading car.

In the current era, Montreal is different because it is one of the few circuits where the performance of the cars is more strongly governed by the need to save fuel and to manage brake wear, whereas tyre wear is less of an issue. In that scenario, the drivers are probably not pushing hard enough to generate a more noticeable performance delta between the two tyres - the fuel penalty effect is, by contrast, far more noticeable.

We might possibly see the ultraosft tyre make an appearance in Hungary this year - if it does, then I suspect that we might see a more noticeable offset in lifespan and performance given that the tarmac surface is more abrasive, track temperatures are normally much higher and fuel consumption is less critical.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Neno wrote:Rosberg should have crashed hamilton in the first turn,.

I don't like F1 drivers being so aggressive these days, like verstappen defense vs Rosberg too.

And I don't like Rosberg, in the past, he did the same to others drivers but these banzai defense have to stop

You don't like drivers being aggressive, yet you think Rosberg should have crashed into Hamilton?

What was wrong with Verstappen's defence? Are you seriously suggesting drivers shouldn't be allowed to fight for position? That has been one of the most entertaining aspects of this year's racing.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Neno

Post by Neno »

I love fair fights (best example Arnoux vs Villeneuve), not aggressive blocking.

Of course you can bloc,k it is a part of racing but now the drivers are way too much aggressive they change line just when the other driver is overtaking etc...

Rosberg was alongside Hamilton had two choices :
- don't move => crash, no point lost vs hamilton, hamilton's fault
- go out and finish 5th or 6th and lose points like he did.

For verstappen, it is in some way brilliant defense within the rules: he put his car in the middle of the track going slightly from right to left depending on Rosberg moves. As a result you don't see him moving much but he moves and it is impossible to pass him