2016 Monaco Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
AxelP800

2016 Monaco Grand Prix

Post by AxelP800 »

Ultrasoft debut!

Only Renault that has different tires selection for both drivers, though only 1 difference in SS and US.

Okay saying Ultra Soft as US felt bizarre for me..... UltS then
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Re: 2016 Monaco Grand Prix

Post by WeirdKerr »

I'm not sure if Williams have made a good or a bad choice with more super softs and less Ultras than the other 3 big teams
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

WeirdKerr wrote:I'm not sure if Williams have made a good or a bad choice with more super softs and less Ultras than the other 3 big teams

I imagine that things like that will come down to race day track temperature and degradation rates and stuff... But i won't know stuff like that until I return to England after going to the United State of Indiana.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

Good chance for Manor to gain points this Grand Prix, I'm rooting for them. :)
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AxelP800 wrote:Ultrasoft debut!

So we have Soft, Super Soft and Ultra Soft. What's after that? Chocolate wheels?
Just For One Day...
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

CoopsII wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:Ultrasoft debut!

So we have Soft, Super Soft and Ultra Soft. What's after that? Chocolate wheels?

I say fluffy tires. (fuwa fuwaa~~)
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

CoopsII wrote:So we have Soft, Super Soft and Ultra Soft. What's after that? Chocolate wheels?

Reminds me of a childish song that was a favourite in the playground - "Soft, Soft, Chocolate Wheels, Round the corner.....massive crash probably"
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

CoopsII wrote:So we have Soft, Super Soft and Ultra Soft. What's after that? Chocolate wheels?

We should expect cheese tires and Jolly Rancher wheels in the next couple of years.

...okay, that doesn't sound very tasty at all.
mario

Post by mario »

So, it would seem that Renault have decided to bring forward the introduction of their new engine from the Canadian GP to this weekend instead after very favourable test data from the recent test session in Barcelona.

However, because of the quick turnaround, Renault have only been able to produce two of the "Spec D" power units for Monaco - one of those units is being given to Red Bull, with the other being held by Renault. It will be interesting to see which of the two drivers within their respective teams is given the new engine - I imagine that Magnussen might get the upgrade first at Renault, given he has been the more competitive driver, but the situation at Red Bull is much more delicately poised.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

mario wrote:It will be interesting to see which of the two drivers within their respective teams is given the new engine - I imagine that Magnussen might get the upgrade first at Renault, given he has been the more competitive driver, but the situation at Red Bull is much more delicately poised.

With the help of a translator:

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1 ... 31765.html

Magnussen and Ricciardo are getting the new engines. Unless another journalist comes by and says something else.
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

How many race accidents do you guys predict will happen at this years Monaco Grand Prix? :D
Last edited by The Chicane on 26 Aug 2018, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

dr-baker wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:I'm not sure if Williams have made a good or a bad choice with more super softs and less Ultras than the other 3 big teams

I imagine that things like that will come down to race day track temperature and degradation rates and stuff... But i won't know stuff like that until I return to England after going to the United State of Indiana.

Are you going to the Indy 500? If so have a great time! I was just thinking that this year I actually have a way to watch the Indy 500 live (BT Sport) but not the Monaco GP live. Got no problems with the Indy 500 (in fact I might watch it) but British TV really needs to sort out its priorities.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

East Londoner wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124430/mclaren-can-beat-ferrari-in-monaco--boullier <- Boullier's certainly confident about McLaren's chances in the Principality...
I'll believe it when I see it to be honest. I'll enjoy it if I see it! The frustration of wanting to see McLaren do well, but constantly watching them struggle is getting a bit much. I mean, Button hasn't actually stood on the podium since his last win in Interlagos 2012.

Seeing McLaren finish in like 5th and 6th this weekend would be so welcome. Especially if it's on merit and in front of the Ferraris.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:
Are you going to the Indy 500? If so have a great time! I was just thinking that this year I actually have a way to watch the Indy 500 live (BT Sport) but not the Monaco GP live. Got no problems with the Indy 500 (in fact I might watch it) but British TV really needs to sort out its priorities.

I am indeed! And I'm happy to see that Pippa Mann has qualified 25th, so she has two whole rows of the grid behind her... ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

As always there's the tantalising prospect of a rain shower, the walls are close, the cars look fast (all of them - any category), the place look great...I get very excited for Monaco in a way that just doesn't quite replicate for other races..
Is it the same for others?
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

yannicksamlad wrote:As always there's the tantalising prospect of a rain shower, the walls are close, the cars look fast (all of them - any category), the place look great...I get very excited for Monaco in a way that just doesn't quite replicate for other races..

I'm excited for Monaco, but this year (more so than most other years), there's another race that I am getting excited by on the same day.
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

yannicksamlad wrote:As always there's the tantalising prospect of a rain shower, the walls are close, the cars look fast (all of them - any category), the place look great...I get very excited for Monaco in a way that just doesn't quite replicate for other races..

I always like Monaco. And always get excited for it. Despite the lack of overtaking and many processional races, Monaco is capable of throwing some of the most amazing moments ever seen in F1. And it is amazing to see F1 cars racing there. One of the last challenging circuits, IMHO.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

It's still the one I look forward to most - Monaco 1982 made me realise how amazing F1 can be. It's rarely been as exciting since, but I live in hope!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Barbazza wrote:It's still the one I look forward to most - Monaco 1982 made me realise how amazing F1 can be. It's rarely been as exciting since, but I live in hope!

1993 was pretty good too. Fabrizio Barbazza started 25th and finished 11th. He was a stunningly underrated driver.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:
Barbazza wrote:It's still the one I look forward to most - Monaco 1982 made me realise how amazing F1 can be. It's rarely been as exciting since, but I live in hope!

1993 was pretty good too. Fabrizio Barbazza started 25th and finished 11th. He was a stunningly underrated driver.

1996 sticks in my mind. Murray Walker recently (last December) gave a talk at Beaulieu's National Motor Museum, and got some audience participation to remember who won that year's race. It was me that he heard give the answer (for both driver and team).
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:1996 sticks in my mind. Murray Walker recently (last December) gave a talk at Beaulieu's National Motor Museum, and got some audience participation to remember who won that year's race. It was me that he heard give the answer (for both driver and team).

It was a very exciting race and only someone like Panis winning could have taken away my disappointment at Hills retirement. What an image...

Just For One Day...
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

A round of applause for our friend attrition.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

SuzukiSwift wrote:A round of applause for our friend attrition.

Where would F1 Rejects be without it? What can the reject hope for if not the gentle kiss of luck which banishes away the mechanical gremlins that sometimes affect the better funded, better supported drivers and teams?
Just For One Day...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

CoopsII wrote:1993 was pretty good too. Fabrizio Barbazza started 25th and finished 11th. He was a stunningly underrated driver.

Of course, that plus a couple of points still not enough to keep out that upstart Martini though!
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Yeah, ridiculous rule change that will have no effect on the viewing public's watching of the sport. OK, so it won't block the occasional brake duct. So it will marginally increase reliability. Not what I would like to see...
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Gutiérrez 2016 mechanical failures: 1,039
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Can you imagine a car hitting a wall and all the visors flying up into the air out of the car like confetti?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:1996 sticks in my mind. Murray Walker recently (last December) gave a talk at Beaulieu's National Motor Museum, and got some audience participation to remember who won that year's race. It was me that he heard give the answer (for both driver and team).

It was a very exciting race and only someone like Panis winning could have taken away my disappointment at Hills retirement. What an image...

Man, I miss Ligier (and Prost) a lot. The cars always looked splendid and they were often capable of causing an upset. We think of Monaco '96 but they did astonishingly well in 1997. Panis was in contention for race wins and they also had Trulli doing wonders in his debut season - I remember Austria '97 as well as I do Monaco '96. Funny that Trulli's only GP victory then came at Monaco.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

And half-the-grid has either crashed somewhere, or locked up at St Devote today :facepalm:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Neno

Post by Neno »

It's good when you don't have tarmac run off areas at every corner => crashs
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Miguel98 wrote:And half-the-grid has either crashed somewhere, or locked up at St Devote today :facepalm:

More of that on Sunday and we could be in for a hell of a race.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
mario

Post by mario »

On a related note, both Rosberg and Button had their cars damaged by a drain cover close to St. Devote in the first practise session. Adam Cooper is suggesting that this might in fact be the very same drain which broke Rubens's suspension in 2010 and put him out of the race - if so, it might raise a few questions given that they've now had a repeat of this issue.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

mario wrote:On a related note, both Rosberg and Button had their cars damaged by a drain cover close to St. Devote in the first practise session. Adam Cooper is suggesting that this might in fact be the very same drain which broke Rubens's suspension in 2010 and put him out of the race - if so, it might raise a few questions given that they've now had a repeat of this issue.

Did the drain cover ger ROTR?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

WeirdKerr wrote:
mario wrote:On a related note, both Rosberg and Button had their cars damaged by a drain cover close to St. Devote in the first practise session. Adam Cooper is suggesting that this might in fact be the very same drain which broke Rubens's suspension in 2010 and put him out of the race - if so, it might raise a few questions given that they've now had a repeat of this issue.

Did the drain cover ger ROTR?

I believe a drain cover got ROTR for a Chinese GP once, seem to remember Montoya being put out of the race because of it.

Neno wrote:It's good when you don't have tarmac run off areas at every corner => crashs

I do wonder if the current crop of drivers are more crash-prone than others in history. This season has not yet seen a clean first lap. You look at GP2 and GP3 races and drivers are being super-aggressive and getting into silly incidents and its becoming the norm to do dive-bomb passes now and squeeze each other off track. Seems to me like we've got a bit of a Senna-worshiping generation; everyone thinks they have a God-given right to track space and anyone who stops them be damned. Not a criticism of Senna; he earned that respect by being multiple WC (although his move in Japan '90 is still one of the most disgusting things F1 has ever seen). But you've got these guys coming up and just expecting that they can scare each other off the road and that with the modern chassis of open-wheelers that they are pretty much invincible.

I better stop before I complete my transformation into Captain Safety again!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Max Verstappen, he's a bigger fraud than Jamie Vardy. Can we have Carlos Sainz Jr in that Red Bull for Canada? :pantano:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

Hamilton's engine just took a dump. Again.

I await the Cheatsberg conspiracy theories now...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Oh dear indeed. I hope the Mercedes social media team get paid well, quite frankly...

EDIT: Holy moly Daniel, what a lap. :shock:
mario

Post by mario »

lance_rambert wrote:Hamilton's engine just took a dump. Again.

I await the Cheatsberg conspiracy theories now...

Whilst the idea that Mercedes would be deliberately sabotaging Hamilton is certainly far fetched, the fact that Hamilton is suffering from so many mechanical issues in close succession is inevitably going to drive those sorts of accusations. At the very least, you have to wonder what is going on with Mercedes's quality assurance systems - something doesn't seem to be going right if they are suffering from that many serious issues in such a short period of time.

As for Ricciardo, if ever there was a good time to pull out a lap like that, I can't think of one - the big question is going to be how things play out tomorrow though. Red Bull went for something of a wildcard by using the supersoft tyres, which could lead to some interesting strategy options - however, with the possibility that we could see a wet start tomorrow, it might be the case that luck is as much of a variable as skill.