The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Londoner

Re: The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

Post by Londoner »

The end is nigh for the Battersea ePrix. Looks like the NIMBY scum have got their way after all. This is perhaps the only issue I side with the Tories over*, given Wandsworth Labour led the campaign against the race. :facepalm: :x
*I also support HS2. That being said, all the main parties support it, so yeah.

Other than that, the calender's been given a right old shake up.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Samster

Post by Samster »

East Londoner wrote:The end is nigh for the Battersea ePrix. Looks like the NIMBY scum have got their way after all. This is perhaps the only issue I side with the Tories over*, given Wandsworth Labour led the campaign against the race. :facepalm: :x

Looks like the Port Imperial circuit that has continuously been postponed for F1 will finally be used for something. Plus Marina Bay and Circuit Gilles Villeneuve will join Monaco and Mexico as F1 venues on the calender. And I'm pretty sure they would have to use the same configuration for Montreal.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Samster wrote:
East Londoner wrote:The end is nigh for the Battersea ePrix. Looks like the NIMBY scum have got their way after all. This is perhaps the only issue I side with the Tories over*, given Wandsworth Labour led the campaign against the race. :facepalm: :x

Looks like the Port Imperial circuit that has continuously been postponed for F1 will finally be used for something. Plus Marina Bay and Circuit Gilles Villeneuve will join Monaco and Mexico as F1 venues on the calender. And I'm pretty sure they would have to use the same configuration for Montreal.

None of those circuits have been confirmed as even potential venues. Ile Notre Dame is definitely not hosting the Montreal race, and nothing's been said at all about the others; I wouldn't be surprised if they're examining the possibility of using brand new circuits as opposed to the existing layouts.
#FreeGonzo
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Simtek wrote:None of those circuits have been confirmed as even potential venues. Ile Notre Dame is definitely not hosting the Montreal race, and nothing's been said at all about the others; I wouldn't be surprised if they're examining the possibility of using brand new circuits as opposed to the existing layouts.

The article says the Montréal event is taking place near the town hall and the Port Imperial circuit is in New Jersey as it is, so yeah, you are perfectly correct.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Klon wrote:
Simtek wrote:None of those circuits have been confirmed as even potential venues. Ile Notre Dame is definitely not hosting the Montreal race, and nothing's been said at all about the others; I wouldn't be surprised if they're examining the possibility of using brand new circuits as opposed to the existing layouts.

The article says the Montréal event is taking place near the town hall and the Port Imperial circuit is in New Jersey as it is, so yeah, you are perfectly correct.

Not only that, but at least the current generation of Formula E cars likely wouldn't be able to go uphill at Port Imperial, at least not without losing a significant amount of range. And having been there, this might be a problem around Montréal town hall, now that I think about it...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Ohoho things going to be interesting for Abt and Di Grassi
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I watched the highlights and I have the feeling Daniel Abt was going to open the door for Di Grassi to pass but he Brazilian didn't notice this. Anyway, the team can't blame Abt in the future. Let's remember the Mexico e-Prix when Di Grassi was disqualified for technical infringement.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

CALLING ALL FORMULA E WATCHERS!

With one race weekend to go, I'm going to plan for a "Grand Prix Rejects Doesn't Go To Battersea This Year" Season Review Podcast. Anything you think should be included, I'd like to know - it could be a ROTY countdown with Jamie and Enoch style Reject Ratings all added up to rank the drivers and teams in order of rejectfulness, it could be done by nominations - suggest the best way. Highlights of the season, memorable points, bring them all on - and, as we did in the pub last year, drivers you'd like to see competing in season three who haven't had a crack at it yet.

PM me with your comments to start with; if you're interested in being part of the podcast then make sure to shout at me (Baker, Watka, Tommy, I'm looking in your direction but anyone else is quite welcome to do so) and I'll work out what form that should take soon enough. I imagine it'll be a "top three-to-five ROTY, IIDOTY nominees, future drivers and best moments" feature and I'd add together all the scores to reveal the winners.

Glaring omissions and hideous "don't do that"s, make sure I know about them, just don't do it in a way that makes me ignore your words.

Ideas, crack on, go.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Dinizintheoven/Jim, may well get round to something at some point, either orally as I did with my "Sunday Service" segment last year, or written. Intended deadline? Just after Battersea round again? I too will not be there this year - too much annual leave taken for other excursions, including a 500-mile race in some place called Indianapolis...

One interesting discussion point: the calendar for next season. It's looking likely that London will be dropped, due to the Battersea NIMBYs. Punta del Este also looks to be dropped, which I think is a shame as it has good scenery and the on-track action wasn't too shabby. Monaco to make a bi-annual return. New York to replace London as a double-header. Marrakesh, Brussels and Singapore also to be included. I might contemplate a trip to New York or Brussels if that happens - depending on dates and opportunity to get time off work.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I really should try and fire up Skype at some point, and possibly give it a go Jamie-and-Enoch style. I've never managed to get it going properly, though!
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:I really should try and fire up Skype at some point, and possibly give it a go Jamie-and-Enoch style. I've never managed to get it going properly, though!

I've only done it once or twice with my sister, but it worked OK.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Jaguar have revealed what appears to be a Formula E car with their name on it: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... rack-debut
#FreeGonzo
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Anyone going to the London round?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

dinizintheoven wrote:CALLING ALL FORMULA E WATCHERS!

With one race weekend to go, I'm going to plan for a "Grand Prix Rejects Doesn't Go To Battersea This Year" Season Review Podcast. Anything you think should be included, I'd like to know - it could be a ROTY countdown with Jamie and Enoch style Reject Ratings all added up to rank the drivers and teams in order of rejectfulness, it could be done by nominations - suggest the best way. Highlights of the season, memorable points, bring them all on - and, as we did in the pub last year, drivers you'd like to see competing in season three who haven't had a crack at it yet.

PM me with your comments to start with; if you're interested in being part of the podcast then make sure to shout at me (Baker, Watka, Tommy, I'm looking in your direction but anyone else is quite welcome to do so) and I'll work out what form that should take soon enough. I imagine it'll be a "top three-to-five ROTY, IIDOTY nominees, future drivers and best moments" feature and I'd add together all the scores to reveal the winners.

Glaring omissions and hideous "don't do that"s, make sure I know about them, just don't do it in a way that makes me ignore your words.

Ideas, crack on, go.

I must admit that despite watching all of last season, I've watched precisely none of this season. Not because it's bad but I just haven't had time.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I call once more for any contributions to the end-of-season podcast I still intend to make. Notes, memorable bits of the season, reject rankings, throw them at me!

(PM or email will suffice.)
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Team Aguri will be Team Aguri no more ...

http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/june/team-aguri-confirm-takeover-ahead-of-visa-london-eprix/

With the London double-header coming up this weekend, I presume we're ALL cheering for Di Grassi to win?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

madmark1974 wrote:With the London double-header coming up this weekend, I presume we're ALL cheering for Di Grassi to win?

Yes. Of course. Because with everything else that's going on I certainly hadn't forgotten Formula E was a thing.

Honest :oops:
Just For One Day...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

madmark1974 wrote:Team Aguri will be Team Aguri no more ...

http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/june/team-aguri-confirm-takeover-ahead-of-visa-london-eprix/

With the London double-header coming up this weekend, I presume we're ALL cheering for Di Grassi to win?

Yes, because team Abt have been touched with greatness by meeting me and dr_baker!!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:Team Aguri will be Team Aguri no more ...

Yes, because team Abt have been touched with greatness by meeting me and dr_baker!!

Yes indeed! Although last summer to me now is beginning to feel like long, long ago, in a galaxy far away...
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

At least SUPER AGURI won't perish and drop off the grid like Trulli GP did, because the last thing Formula E needs is another defunct team (even with Jaguar arriving next year, because who knows how long they'll last?)

Last year does seem like a long way away with none of us (as far as I know) there this time... financial trouble got in the way when it came to ticket-and-transport-ordering-time... and severe brainwrongs got in the way of concentrating on the season review podcast (as well as the stony silence from everyone else when I was looking for further contributions).

Still, we can all enjoy the big finale of season two, can't we? And with a bit of luck there'll be another pre-season test session to go to where hopefully it's not raining this time...
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: The Lucas di Grassi Formula 5 Thread

dinizintheoven wrote:Last year does seem like a long way away with none of us (as far as I know) there this time...

Actually, at least three forum members are going, though it looks like there won't be any contributions for the podcast from them, sadly.
#FreeGonzo
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

dinizintheoven wrote:At least SUPER AGURI won't perish and drop off the grid like Trulli GP did, because the last thing Formula E needs is another defunct team (even with Jaguar arriving next year, because who knows how long they'll last?)

Last year does seem like a long way away with none of us (as far as I know) there this time... financial trouble got in the way when it came to ticket-and-transport-ordering-time... and severe brainwrongs got in the way of concentrating on the season review podcast (as well as the stony silence from everyone else when I was looking for further contributions).

Still, we can all enjoy the big finale of season two, can't we? And with a bit of luck there'll be another pre-season test session to go to where hopefully it's not raining this time...

I'm sad to see another privateer/non-manufacturer team leave, I don't want FE to be even more dependent on manufacturers that can kill off their involvement like BMW, Honda and Toyota did during the Credit Crunch.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:(as well as the stony silence from everyone else when I was looking for further contributions).

Yeah, sorry about that. Real life for me this year is a bit different. Last year, I only had 8-10 hours work a week, with no weekend working. I now have a lot more than that (averaging 30-40 hrs/wk). (e.g. I have just completed a 21 hour shift, including a sleep shift - I'm in care work if that didn't make sense).

ROTY: Trulli (team and driver)/Piquet and NEXT EV team.
IIDOTY: No real idea.
If I had time, I would have a fair bit to say about the calendar situation, like the big gaps between races, the loss of some of my favourite venues (London, Puente del Este), not yet having a race that looks like it'll turn into a signature event, etc. And why are they not yet racing at Surfer's Paradise?!?!?
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Quite an enjoyable race today, with a Prost/Senna one-two (for the first time since Australia 1993?), and a good battle between the two title rivals. Should be a good climax to the championship tomorrow. Just wish I was there, despite the weather. Still, maybe FE will return to London in a year or two.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Strangely, I'm actually glad I wasn't there in person this time - because sitting in front of the TV was the best seat in the house for all the various drivers climbing all over each other like randy rabbits.

Other than that, Prost and Senna up the front, a hint of rain, there's little else I'd want for, except for Oliver Turvey to have scored a podium - which would have been no big deal for TCR last year, but this season it'd be like that time Pastor Maldonado beat the entire field at Barcelona. Instead, Olly stuck it in the wall like Pastor in Australia where that'd have scored more points in one race than Williams had in all of the previous season.

I suppose there's always tomorrow (nearly today) but I suspect there won't be quite so much of a crazy qualifying ahead.

And I wonder, should Foemula E actually return to London at all... or should it go somewhere else, like, say, Cardiff? I mean, have you heard the weather forecast there, every day from the beginning of time until the heat death of the universe?

''Sgonna rain."
"Really?"
"Probably."

Or how about Edinburgh? They could resurface the Ingliston racetrack and it'd be just like the slightly ramshackle surroundings of Battersea Park, only with a bit more tartan and bagpipes.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:Strangely, I'm actually glad I wasn't there in person this time - because sitting in front of the TV was the best seat in the house for all the various drivers climbing all over each other like randy rabbits.

True, but I would always go home to watch the TV coverage later. Did so last year. Or else sit in the fan village, watching it with other people, and then be there to see the cars and podium and stuff in the flesh. It's the atmosphere, isn't it.

dinizintheoven wrote:And I wonder, should Foemula E actually return to London at all... or should it go somewhere else, like, say, Cardiff? I mean, have you heard the weather forecast there, every day from the beginning of time until the heat death of the universe?

''Sgonna rain."
"Really?"
"Probably."

Or how about Edinburgh? They could resurface the Ingliston racetrack and it'd be just like the slightly ramshackle surroundings of Battersea Park, only with a bit more tartan and bagpipes.

Dublin could be a good location, or the Belfast dockyards. But what I like about the Puente del Este race track is its seafront location. Plenty of those around the British Isles...
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:Dublin could be a good location

I'll say it again: Phoenix Park would be perfect for Formula 5. Small enough, plenty of motorsport history...
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:

I'll say it again: Phoenix Park would be perfect for Formula E. Small enough, plenty of motorsport history...

I think Douglas on the Isle of Man (particularly the promenade) would be great, but I reckon that the size of the population of the island would count against a race there.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Yeah, Battersea was a bit damp, but it was a pretty fun day; it seemed to be a lot more organised than last year.

You can probably guess who went geocaching straight after qualifying...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bobby Doorknobs

Ataxia wrote:Yeah, Battersea was a bit damp, but it was a pretty fun day; it seemed to be a lot more organised than last year.

You can probably guess who went geocaching straight after qualifying...

Yeah, Miguel's really taken with the whole geocaching thing now, isn't he?

:P
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

"It's happened immediately!"

Flashback to Suzuka 1990...

And now we have the bizarre situation of drivers fighting to win the championship by setting the fastest lap.
#FreeGonzo
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

This race :facepalm:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Bobby Doorknobs

Well, that was the most nerve-wracking qualifying session I've ever watched.

So, Ataxia, Sébastien Buemi profile? :P
#FreeGonzo
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Congratulations to ABT team for losing another title due a technical infringement. Also, correct if I'm wrong, but Daniel Abt ignoring team orders made Di Grassi lose the title?

What a wacky race. I have the feeling Di Grassi will be disqualified for the crash.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Dj_bereta wrote:Congratulations to ABT team for losing another title due a technical infringement. Also, correct if I'm wrong, but Daniel Abt ignoring team orders made Di Grassi lose the title?

Well, Lucas would have had three more points, so... you could see it that way.

And it's good (though not at all surprising) to see I wasn't the only one who thought of Suzuka in 1990. Think what might have happened if the elder Prost and Senna had had a second car at their disposal, though...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

dinizintheoven wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:Congratulations to ABT team for losing another title due a technical infringement. Also, correct if I'm wrong, but Daniel Abt ignoring team orders made Di Grassi lose the title?

Well, Lucas would have had three more points, so... you could see it that way.

And it's good (though not at all surprising) to see I wasn't the only one who thought of Suzuka in 1990. Think what might have happened if the elder Prost and Senna had had a second car at their disposal, though...

I would payed good money to see what went through old Prost's head as he saw the crash.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Miguel98 wrote:I would payed good money to see what went through old Prost's head as he saw the crash.

Alain Prost wrote:Sacre bleu!

That'll be a fiver, me old mucker.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:
Simtek wrote:

I'll say it again: Phoenix Park would be perfect for Formula E. Small enough, plenty of motorsport history...

I think Douglas on the Isle of Man (particularly the promenade) would be great, but I reckon that the size of the population of the island would count against a race there.

Wouldn't be wide enough to have the track in both directions, and it would need resurfacing first, it's in a godawful state at the moment. An embarrassment I'm afraid to say. Nice idea though, I'd love to see it

I missed yesterday's race but watched the finale today. The whole thing felt a bit daft, rather tedious and totally unsuited to the Battersea track. I appreciate that it's a shame it won't be returning after this year but in all honesty, it's probably for the best. Naturally it would have been better if Buemi and Di Grassi had actually been racing, they surely have to scrap points for fastest lap next season to avoid that happening again.

Formula E have got a lot of things right and brought a fresh approach to motorsport, but I'm still not really won over by it all. The racing is at times extremely amateurish, no doubt brought on by poor circuit design. The cars are far too flimsy - all that unnecessary bodywork needs to be lost. And for what is still a (somewhat) spec series there is a hell of a lot of processional racing. Again not helped by track design, but nevertheless, watching the Austrian GP later in the day, it was refreshing just to be able to see the cars actually have a bit of racing room. I'm not saying F1 is better than FE, they both have their positive and negative aspects, I just feel that there's a fair way to go for FE to actually offer a compelling on-track product. At the moment it's a bit of a damp squib to me.

As an aside, for those who were there, what were your thoughts on attendance figures? Didn't look like there were many people there from the TV cameras, just like in Austria...
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AndreaModa wrote:As an aside, for those who were there, what were your thoughts on attendance figures? Didn't look like there were many people there from the TV cameras, just like in Austria...

It was pretty full on Saturday, although the rain during quali left people retreating to some kind of cover.

This year there were quite a few more food and drink stalls about the place, and what was nice is that they'd actually put a few screens around the place so I could watch the race whilst, you know, I was watching the race. This year I bought a ticket for one of the stands, over at the turn 3/4/5/6 area, so had a full view of Vergne binning it in front of us during quali.

Simtek wrote:Well, that was the most nerve-wracking qualifying session I've ever watched.

So, Ataxia, Sébastien Buemi profile? :P

Yes, I suppose I should...I did promise a profile on whomsoever ended up as the Formula E champion, but I was so certain Di Grassi would win that I actually started his! Maybe I'll get to finishing it one day...

Shoutout to tommykl, Londoner and Rob for being a good set of lads and for putting up with my "jokes" through the afternoon.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bobby Doorknobs

Ataxia wrote:
Simtek wrote:So, Ataxia, Sébastien Buemi profile? :P

Yes, I suppose I should...I did promise a profile on whomsoever ended up as the Formula 5 champion, but I was so certain Di Grassi would win that I actually started his! Maybe I'll get to finishing it one day...

You can still do Lucas if you want, and I can try doing Buemi. I have been toying with the idea of profiling the loser of this title battle knowing about your own plans and thought it would be good to knock out two birds with one stone. I was sort of hoping it would be Buemi and I think I can get some useful material on him from some F1 Racing mags I have from 2010-11 (going only by memory though, I haven't read them since!). I don't know, I'll see about it next weekend. You carry on as you were ;)
#FreeGonzo