The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Barbazza

Re: The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

Post by Barbazza »

East Londoner wrote:Yeah, Buemi can piss off. Drove like a jackass all race long. Really hope he loses this championship now.

Other than that, another cracking race. Shame Simona faded right at the end, she could've got points at long last.

Yeah, but Simona received the F1 Rejects curse at Donington, as dr baker will attest. See also Abt's last lap accident (admittedly, we did meet Di Grassi too, but he was so surly and barely spoke so must have been aware of and immune to the curse)

Anyway, the race - I agree that Buemi drove and acted like a total dick. Why is he suddenly being so arrogant? I'm amazed that he didn't get a penalty for smashing into the back of Mr.Custard. I think there were grounds to give him one for the dangerous way that he tried to let him back through after he passed him off the circuit - on a different day he could have taken out 3 or 4 cars there!
Come to think of it, Prost's nudge at the chicane looked a bit blatant as well but he got a different penalty that was a bit harsh so that makes up for it a bit.

I don't think it was the best race ever, not enough good overtaking opportunities so the first half was very dull. Poor Da Costa though - made one of Maldonado's bad days look like Jim Clark at work.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Dj_bereta wrote:Di Grassi was disqualified again...

He was?!

That'll teach me to watch the race and then not immediately go to the Formula E website. I should KNOW by now that there's barely a race where everybody gets to keep their Top 10 spots.

Ignore what I said about above about him not being affected by the F1 Rejects curse then - that's 2 years in a row where he's driven perfectly and got nothing through no fault of his own.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

On the other news you shpuld try watch some minutes feature of the cars tech minutes before the race. The full broadcast is available on youtube. I like the general explanation of the motors this years (teams won't let you know the deeper info anyway!). To sum it up (#Late):

Nextev and DS Virgin: 2 motors with one gear, the rear tend to slide due to extra inertia from motors.
Aguri and Andretti: Default 1 motor and 5 gears.
Venturi, Mahindra, and Dragon: Said to use original motors but gears reduced to 4.
Abt: Same motor but inverter relocated lower around motor, giving lower mass center and 3 gears.
Renault Dams: One big motor and 2 gears + manual shift stick with carbon fibre housing, reduced inertia.

I get it why Renault been dominant
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Barbazza wrote:That'll teach me to watch the race and then not immediately go to the Formula E website. I should KNOW by now that there's barely a race where everybody gets to keep their Top 10 spots.

Things is, that's what I did - thinking there'd already have been some stewards' intervention with a certain sulky Swiss driver. I found nothing untoward, until I checked here the next morning and found a very different story I wasn't expecting.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Barbazza wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Yeah, Buemi can piss off. Drove like a jackass all race long. Really hope he loses this championship now.

Other than that, another cracking race. Shame Simona faded right at the end, she could've got points at long last.

Yeah, but Simona received the F1 Rejects curse at Donington, as dr baker will attest. See also Abt's last lap accident (admittedly, we did meet Di Grassi too, but he was so surly and barely spoke so must have been aware of and immune to the curse).

I wonder if car 2 was the same one as the car she drove in first practice where the battery seemed to have problems.
Last year it was Nick Heidfeld having all sorts of bad luck and now it's stuck onto Simona for this year. :facepalm:
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

golic_2004 wrote:I wonder if car 2 was the same one as the car she drove in first practice where the battery seemed to have problems.
Last year it was Nick Heidfeld having all sorts of bad luck and now it's stuck onto da Costa for this year. :facepalm:

Fixed
tommykl has a stroke
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Ben Hanley to fill in for Oliver Turvey at the Berlin ePrix
http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/new ... ix-680050/
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/new ... es-683108/

Just give nught race and neon lights, gone to Tron. Badass. Altough 1 hour still sounds too long
tommykl has a stroke
andrew

Post by andrew »

Buemi you little prick. Ruining frinjs race

What does Da Costa need to do to het some good luck, this is ridiculous
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Let's wait some time... you know, Di Grassi could be disqualified at any time. I missed the start, but good race. Buemi for ROTR. He is trying very hard to lose this championship and talking about it, Piquet jr. is doing a pretty bad title defense, despite running for now the worst team in the field. He is consistently beaten by Turvey race-by-race.

Also, I have a feeling Formula E made a mistake in opening the racing series for more engine manufacturers. The gap between teams is considerable . The races aren't bad yet, but I feel you could see soon a Mercedes like domination.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Was a bit frustrating watching Bird cooped up behind Senna for all of those laps, clearly having a pace advantage, and being able to do nothing about it. No real overtaking spots on the track at all unless you have a significant advantage.

Also - a lot of people moan about F1 being all about conserving fuel/tyres in the modern age, and yet Formula E is even more susceptible to this. It's an economy drive from the moment the lights go out. Not a criticism, just an observation. It's interesting that the series hasn't really taken a rap for this whereas F1 has.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

AndreaModa wrote:Also - a lot of people moan about F1 being all about conserving fuel/tyres in the modern age, and yet Formula E is even more susceptible to this. It's an economy drive from the moment the lights go out. Not a criticism, just an observation. It's interesting that the series hasn't really taken a rap for this whereas F1 has.

Probably because most of the same people who bash F1 for fuel/tyre saving don't give FE a chance in the first place because the cars are too slow or they don't make noise...
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Simtek wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:Also - a lot of people moan about F1 being all about conserving fuel/tyres in the modern age, and yet Formula E is even more susceptible to this. It's an economy drive from the moment the lights go out. Not a criticism, just an observation. It's interesting that the series hasn't really taken a rap for this whereas F1 has.

Probably because most of the same people who bash F1 for fuel/tyre saving don't give FE a chance in the first place because the cars are too slow or they don't make noise...

Haha, good point! Better off without them if that is the case.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
andrew

Post by andrew »

Anway that from Buemi ruined Frinjs 100% points scoring record, leaving Sarrizan the only driver to finish every race in the points
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Great to see Venturi really stepping it up this weekend, and it's also nice to see Simona and Conway finally get some points.

Quite a tame race until Marco Rubio dropped it into the wall.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Da Costa :( :(

Such bad luck. I.. just understand how can someone get such bad luck.

Good win by Di Grassi. Still waiting on him getting shat on by the stewards :P
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Happy Buemi got his karma.

I feel so sad that Nelsinho is trapped in essentially the worst package on the grid now.
tommykl has a stroke
girry

Post by girry »

FE is (usually) an economy drive from the moment the lights go out...right upto the moment they change cars. Then it tends to become a flat out drive to the finish line.
when you're dead people start listening
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

F1 Rejects curse officially over - Abt on the podium, Heidfeld goes forwards in the race AND doesn't get disqualified, and Simona in the points!!

Great news, eh dr_baker?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

AxelP800 wrote:Happy Buemi got his karma.

I feel so sad that Nelsinho is trapped in essentially the worst package on the grid now.

Turvey's doing a not too shabby job with the car though. Makes me wonder whether Nelson's really putting 100% in, his commitment could be called into question.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote:F1 Rejects curse officially over - Abt on the podium, Heidfeld goes forwards in the race AND doesn't get disqualified, and Simona in the points!!

Great news, eh dr_baker?

Maybe Simona having her photo taken with me by you preseason helped, eh? ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
leywso

Post by leywso »

I liked the way that Race Control 'had a word' with Piquet Jr after he put it in the wall... Not that he has previous in this kind of thing of course.

"Mr Piquet, this is Race Control- are you sure you can't move your car...?"
leywso

Post by leywso »

On another note- would an adaptation of Formula E's qualifying work for Formula 1? Send the cars out in random groups of 4/5, give each group ten minutes to set a time, then the top drivers from each group go through to a 'shoot-out' session for pole? The rest of the grid is formed purely on the time set in the group stage.

This might have the desired effect of 'mixing the grids up', whilst still rewarding people for going quickest. Say Hamilton and Vettel ended up in the same mini-group and Vettel went fastest. Vettel goes into the pole shoot-out but Hamilton could still line up 6th or so on the grid if his time from the first session was fast enough. It would spice up Hamilton's race without ruining it.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Dj_bereta wrote:Also, I have a feeling Formula E made a mistake in opening the racing series for more engine manufacturers. The gap between teams is considerable . The races aren't bad yet, but I feel you could see soon a Mercedes like domination.

I'm wondering if the wildly different transmission systems will continue. eDAMS is clearly the best solution, so what's the betting that next year, every team turns up with a two-motor-one-gear drivetrain?

If there's a real battle to be had it's for ROTY (or, technically, ROTS). NEXTEV TCR are in pole position for that, I tipped Jean-Éric Vergne for the championship this year and it's all going wrong for him, and... should we even be including Trulli GP given that even Mastercard Lola had more track time than they've had this year?
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote: should we even be including Trulli GP given that even Mastercard Lola had more track time than they've had this year?

Even MasterCard Lola did more testing in Europe than Trulli managed all season.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I think Buemi deserves the ROTY if he manages to lose this championship.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Team Aguri appear to be on the cusp of a takeover from Chinese Media Capital, and former HRT tester Ma Qing Hua will replace Salvador Duran at the Paris ePrix.

...now I have to change the end of the Super Aguri stories, thanks a lot.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Another chapter will be written on the story of Soopah Aguri. :P
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

golic_2004 wrote:Another chapter will be written on the story of Soopah Aguri. :P

Not exactly. Aguri Suzuki will be leaving the team at the end of the season so I'd suspect a name change will be in order for season 3, meaning the end of Super Aguri for a second time! :(

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:
golic_2004 wrote:Another chapter will be written on the story of Soopah Aguri. :P

Not exactly. Aguri Suzuki will be leaving the team at the end of the season so I'd suspect a name change will be in order for season 3, meaning the end of Super Aguri for a second time! :(

I assumed Golic meant that Soopah Aguri will turn up again elsewhere at an unspecified time in the future. The end of one chapter, but not the end of the book. Yet.

In other news, Mahindra have unveiled some concepts for future FE car designs, in association with Pininfarina. One of these reminded me of the Roborace concept drawing (it's mostly the 'pods' around the wheels, also slightly IndyCar-esque)...

MCard LOLA
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

I found tweets from people of "Love Battersea Park" laments Formula E. Anyone have a reliable source about the resurfacing there?
tommykl has a stroke
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Just seen the qualifying. What is Nick Heidfeld doing? Is he trying to remind us of the Not Slightly Boring Nick Heidfeld of the early races of last season?
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

So it's less of a problem with the series (after all, Alejandro Agag is always saying how many cities are queuing up to sign up for a race) and more a problem with "new money" - the finance is there, stable government isn't. First it was the Indian Grand Prix, now this.

Or was the Indian Grand Prix really first - should we also be thinking of the fate of A1GP that tried to race in non-traditional markets?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Classic Russia. They did the same thing with F1 powerboats a few years back.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
sw3ishida

Post by sw3ishida »

Kind of a shame too, since things seemed to have been set up, based on these pictures taken by a friend in Moscow on Saturday. I guess it's a lesson to not take these things for granted.

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Formula E, the series where anything can happen.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Formula E, the series where anything can happen.

Except for Monaco being a substitute for Russia, it seems.
http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/new ... er-733580/
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Rene Rast (yes, you read that right) is driving in this weekend's Berlin E-Prix
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.