2016 Australian Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Miguel98

2016 Australian Grand Prix

Post by Miguel98 »

We have the first bit off news regarding the 2016 Australian GP, regarding tyre choices for drivers!

Really curious stats, specially considering Manor choosing 4 set of medium tyres!
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Rob Dylan

Re: 2016 Australian Grand Prix

Post by Rob Dylan »

It gives some variation, I'll give it that. The more variation (sensible, mind) the better, usually.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Given that the mandatory tyres are medium and soft, those who only have one available set of mediums will take a gamble in going into race without having at least tried the set in practice. I guess they have high confidence in their simulations.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
mario

Post by mario »

Miguel98 wrote:Really curious stats, specially considering Manor choosing 4 set of medium tyres!

In the case of Manor, it seems that they have simply gone with the default number of tyres (where the tyre allocation is equally split between all three compounds).

DanielPT wrote:Given that the mandatory tyres are medium and soft, those who only have one available set of mediums will take a gamble in going into race without having at least tried the set in practice. I guess they have high confidence in their simulations.

There seems to be a suggestion that the drivers only need to have at least one set of each of the nominated compounds by Pirelli, but do not necessarily have to use both the medium and the soft tyres during the race (i.e. so long as they use two different compounds, they only have to use one of the two nominated compounds by Pirelli).

If that is correct, it would suggest those who have taken just one set of the medium tyres seem to have done this solely to satisfy the requirement to have a minimum of one set of medium tyres available to use in the race if they so chose.

In reality, I guess that most teams are looking to use the soft tyres as their preferred race tyre and the supersoft mostly for qualifying, with the mediums mainly being brought along just because they need to. Mercedes, for example, have basically admitted that they've given Rosberg an extra set of mediums and Hamilton an extra set of soft tyres just for the purpose of cross comparing the two compounds in practise, suggesting they are probably planning on using the soft tyre as their preferred race tyre.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Looks like Manor will be the only team to take a risk going with Mediums in the race.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Manor going for the longue durée I see. Could be interesting. Maybe we could see a one-stop?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

If Pirelli have 2 nominated Tyres for the race but you dont have to use them why not just nominate one compound.

Manor seem to have gone conservative with the tyres Medium and Soft were the compounds last year. the tyres having been chosen before the cars even turned a wheel so perhaps they just went with what worked last year.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

mario wrote:There seems to be a suggestion that the drivers only need to have at least one set of each of the nominated compounds by Pirelli, but do not necessarily have to use both the medium and the soft tyres during the race (i.e. so long as they use two different compounds, they only have to use one of the two nominated compounds by Pirelli).

If that is correct, it would suggest those who have taken just one set of the medium tyres seem to have done this solely to satisfy the requirement to have a minimum of one set of medium tyres available to use in the race if they so chose.

In reality, I guess that most teams are looking to use the soft tyres as their preferred race tyre and the supersoft mostly for qualifying, with the mediums mainly being brought along just because they need to. Mercedes, for example, have basically admitted that they've given Rosberg an extra set of mediums and Hamilton an extra set of soft tyres just for the purpose of cross comparing the two compounds in practise, suggesting they are probably planning on using the soft tyre as their preferred race tyre.

I see. Indeed in the rules they say that the teams must use at least one of the "mandatory" sets Pirelli has chosen. I guess the mandatory part gave me a wrong interpretation where ever I saw this explained. In this case I guess the hard compound will barely be used then...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AxelP800 wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-widens-scope-of-formula-1-radio-clampdown-679928/

It goes too far now

And what if the part in question doesn't fail while the team rightly believes it could be about to fail? Is that a penalty?
As for the other stuff, an argument could even be made that a sneeze during a radio communication might mean a certain plan/mixture/time. Listening/reading transcriptions to radio communications to find coded messages could be a new hobby for a F1 fan.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Possibly unpopular, but I'm entirely for this. The drivers appear to have a lot more work on their hands, especially in terms of strategies in the sessions that count :) Tyre strategies, when they reckon other people are going to come in, it will be much more at the discretion of the driver as to how they go about the race.

It's been a while since I've said that I fully back a motion by the FIA.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Rob Dylan wrote:Possibly unpopular, but I'm entirely for this. The drivers appear to have a lot more work on their hands, especially in terms of strategies in the sessions that count :) Tyre strategies, when they reckon other people are going to come in, it will be much more at the discretion of the driver as to how they go about the race.

It's been a while since I've said that I fully back a motion by the FIA.

Agreed. There was the whole discussion circa 1993 about whether electronic driver aids were turning the drivers into mere passengers, but they were still ultimately driving the car.

With all of the information being spewed from the pit wall to the driver, any serious decision making has been removed from the driver. In my mind, it's at this point they become a passenger, merely doing what the team tells them to do and when.

Really, they should just ban radios entirely. MotoGP seems to manage just fine without them and a catastrophic part failure in that series will lead to far worse consequences than if they were sat buried in an F1 car. Look at Loris Baz's accident at Sepang in testing the Michelin tyres.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AndreaModa wrote:
Agreed. There was the whole discussion circa 1993 about whether electronic driver aids were turning the drivers into mere passengers, but they were still ultimately driving the car.

And before 08 when they banned traction control.

AndreaModa wrote:With all of the information being spewed from the pit wall to the driver, any serious decision making has been removed from the driver. In my mind, it's at this point they become a passenger, merely doing what the team tells them to do and when.

Really, they should just ban radios entirely. MotoGP seems to manage just fine without them and a catastrophic part failure in that series will lead to far worse consequences than if they were sat buried in an F1 car. Look at Loris Baz's accident at Sepang in testing the Michelin tyres.

I just think that it is a bit daft trying to police such a thing. I mean, even saying the weather can encapsulate some hidden message to the driver involving mixtures and stuff if everything is pre-arranged in the team before the race. Either they allow radio or ban the thing. The middle term is the worst option for me.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Yep trying to police it will be a nightmare. They should just ban team to driver radio completely, only allowing the driver to message in with comments on tyre wear, etc and to inform them when he's coming in to pit.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

There are some brilliant ideas to skirt around a total communications ban that could arise. Someone is going to design a helmet with a heads up display that can receive line-of-sight IR transmissions, and every time a driver comes down the pit straight, they will have a new message flash up on their visor. Just you wait.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

F1000X wrote:There are some brilliant ideas to skirt around a total communications ban that could arise. Someone is going to design a helmet with a heads up display that can receive line-of-sight IR transmissions, and every time a driver comes down the pit straight, they will have a new message flash up on their visor. Just you wait.

Would sign language still be allowed? That could be an interesting way around it :D
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Already Crofty irks.

"A number of you have asked why Di Resta doesn't have a drive. He's too good not to have one."

No one asks that Crofty. Go Home and bathplug off.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Verstappen becomes the first person to spin this season, didn't hit anything though
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Aguaman wrote:Already Crofty irks.

"A number of you have asked why Di Resta doesn't have a drive. He's too good not to have one."

No one asks that Crofty. Go Home and bathplug off.

:dance: Unless it's di Resta and his Mum trolling Sky?
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:
F1000X wrote:There are some brilliant ideas to skirt around a total communications ban that could arise. Someone is going to design a helmet with a heads up display that can receive line-of-sight IR transmissions, and every time a driver comes down the pit straight, they will have a new message flash up on their visor. Just you wait.

Would sign language still be allowed? That could be an interesting way around it :D

How about semaphore?
#FreeGonzo
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Simtek wrote:
CaptainGetz12 wrote:

How about semaphore?

Nah, this is F1. I say electrodes in the helmet. Discuss previously all possible driver actions before while finding out where in the brain these are stored. Then, what ever is needed during the race the electrodes will stimulate the area associated with that idea. Drivers will then suddenly 'picture' what he is supposed to do at the right time.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

DanielPT wrote:Nah, this is F1. I say electrodes in the helmet. Discuss previously all possible driver actions before while finding out where in the brain these are stored. Then, what ever is needed during the race the electrodes will stimulate the area associated with that idea. Drivers will then suddenly 'picture' what he is supposed to do at the right time.
Activate electrode for 'Box box box!
"WHY ARE YOU SHOWING ME A PICTURE OF A CARDBOARD BOX???"
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:

Already happens albeit between drivers
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Will be a really interesting race on Sunday. What's the weather forecast?
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Benetton wrote:Will be a really interesting race on Sunday. What's the weather forecast?

Desert-like weather
tommykl has a stroke
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

I've struggled to keep up, is the new qualifying system happening in Australia?
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Yes. The new qualification format will be used in Australia.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

DanielPT wrote:Yes. The new qualification format will be used in Australia.

Cool, I'll have a watch because that offers the potential for madness.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Backmarker wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Yes. The new qualification format will be used in Australia.

Cool, I'll have a watch because that offers the potential for madness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc3AovUZgvo
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

Oh, speaking of which... We used to have prediction threads didn't we?

I predict pole for Hulkenberg, victory for Palmer, points for HRT (finally!) and also a Q2 for Carmen Jordà.
Even if I'm wrong, would be an awesome race to watch. :)
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

solarcold wrote:Oh, speaking of which... We used to have prediction threads didn't we?

I predict pole for Hulkenberg, victory for Palmer, points for HRT (finally!) and also a Q2 for Carmen Jordà.
Even if I'm wrong, would be an awesome race to watch. :)

If you start it, you have to add up the scores, and no one wants that!
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Good old Andrea Montermini won a race in Albert Park in a Ferrari GT Car.

I'm still not used to Adam Gilchrist hosting F1.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Rio ran into hit Grosjean in FP3 in the pits.

Geez.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Aguaman wrote:Rio ran into hit Grosjean in FP3 in the pits.

Geez.

He is starting to look like the new Yuji Ide.

I really hope he improves, otherwise I can see him getting a race ban at some point.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Romain Grosjean you absolute legend!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

RIO ISN'T LAST.

Hooray
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Ummm did Kvyat just give up?
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Early vote for reject of the race, Red Bull, Sauber and Haas pitwalls for not sending their drivers out to meet the clock to set a time!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Good mimi chaos to startvthe new system. Rio isn't last, but will start last due to 3 grid penalty
tommykl has a stroke