2016 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
girry

Re: 2016 Silly Season Thread

Post by girry »

AndreaModa wrote:The reason I'm pissed is because everyone is so damn negative about anything new in F1 these days. There's no positivity whatsoever, regardless of what the proposal might be.

I don't think you could be further off than this...

Whilst this was introduced, in the same meeting any proposals about the 2017 changes to the cars themselves were postponed AGAIN, same as an increase to the fuel flow limit which was to be discussed in this meeting and would certainly have been received very positively amongst the majority of F1 fans.

But no - they can only agree on limiting the amount of helmet designs and adjustments to weekend format, you know - the things that are same to everybody and won't threaten anyone's current advantages...
when you're dead people start listening
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

giraurd wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:The reason I'm pissed is because everyone is so damn negative about anything new in F1 these days. There's no positivity whatsoever, regardless of what the proposal might be.

I don't think you could be further off than this...

Whilst this was introduced, in the same meeting any proposals about the 2017 changes to the cars themselves were postponed AGAIN, same as an increase to the fuel flow limit which was to be discussed in this meeting and would certainly have been received very positively amongst the majority of F1 fans.

But no - they can only agree on limiting the amount of helmet designs and adjustments to weekend format, you know - the things that are same to everybody and won't threaten anyone's current advantages...

The point of the meeting in Geneva was to discuss VARIOUS issues. It's going to take more time to make the right changes to the cars, but in the meantime there are things that can have a decision made on them right now.

The changes in the technical regulations aren't the be-all-and-end-all; there are going to be other changes made. It seems that the vocal section of the F1 fanbase can't accept that, and they seem to believe that the people in charge of defining the rules should only be allowed to look at the technical regulations before making any other changes. That's rubbish.

Just accept that this is the way it's going. People don't have to be so f*cking negative about everything. Is it a perfect situation? No, it's not, but it's all we've got.

If F1's going to change truly for the better, the FIA needs to put former technical and sporting figures in charge of the regulations and the President must support that rather than concentrate solely on road safety. However, that's not forthcoming, so this is the scenario we have. If you don't like it, go and watch something else.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

#FreeGonzo
girry

Post by girry »

You're representing it as if they started discussing the technical regulations just now and couldn't have done anything sooner - but they had already been meaning to finalize the 2017 regulations back in last August, only to have a delay after delay after delay...

And yes, technical regulations are the be-all-and-end-all. The current regs dont allow significantly better racing nor exciting cars to watch, and the lack of quality racing and excitement is one of the main reasons why viewers are ditching F1 - hence I'd certainly prioritize them above erasing the five minutes of qualifying when there are no cars on the track.

About the "just accept the way it's going", you're barking at the wrong person: F1 can feed me whatever bullshit they manage come up with, and being honest to myself, it won't drive me away - but I'm not that certain the vast majority of the fanbase is as attached as I am, thus my complaints and concerns about the future of the sport...
when you're dead people start listening
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

giraurd wrote:You're representing it as if they started discussing the technical regulations just now and couldn't have done anything sooner - but they had already been meaning to finalize the 2017 regulations back in last August, only to have a delay after delay after delay...

And yes, technical regulations are the be-all-and-end-all. The current regs dont allow significantly better racing nor exciting cars to watch, and the lack of quality racing and excitement is one of the main reasons why viewers are ditching F1 - hence I'd certainly prioritize them above erasing the five minutes of qualifying when there are no cars on the track.

About the "just accept the way it's going", you're barking at the wrong person: F1 can feed me whatever bullshit they manage come up with, and being honest to myself, it won't drive me away - but I'm not that certain the vast majority of the fanbase is as attached as I am, thus my complaints and concerns about the future of the sport...

" Please eveyone and you'll please nobody."

Now the problem is with this vast majority of fanbase who only wants to see action without any interest in the tech simply because they're lazy to read or stuck in the past. Even F1 in the past provided races without many overtakings, it's a certain issue when every team build their own car, the fast one drove away, the slow one goes to tail-end. Unless F1 goes to spec cars and spec engines maximum 2-3 we will only afford a few races a year that provides unpredictibility.

Part of me agreed with fuel saving as this Earth are getting worse, part of me wants them to push hard. We should find fuel that doesn't emit pollutants, but that is very hard for now.

Wider tires will give the cars more mechanichal grip, I'm sure this will make following cars a bit easier. On the other hand, is having FE style front wing in front of the wheel plausible in F1? It should reduced the drag I believe
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Bobby Doorknobs

This thread is becoming painful to read... I think it would be best if everyone just moves on because I don't see this discussion getting anywhere in a civil manner.

I was very divided on this (which is normal for me!): On the one hand it does sound like an interesting new system that could very well create some excitement without, as others have said, resorting to flat-out gimmickry like reverse grids or time ballast, the latter being discussed in the same meeting. However, it looks to me like it's just change for its own sake. The old qualifying system was about the one thing that fans didn't seem to be pissed off about. Hopefully this system won't change that in practice, but it does give the appearance of focusing energy on things that won't affect the teams themselves, which I suspect much of the frustration stems from, and is something also reflected in the ongoing debate on the 2017 technical regulations, with Red Bull for example pushing for a much greater emphasis on downforce. Which leads to Ataxia's point on putting rulemaking in the hands of figures who are no longer attached to any team, Ross Brawn being an example that tends to be brought up.

As for people being negative, yes, there does seem to be a disproportionate amount of negative comments (guilty as charged), but publicly complaining about said negative comments is not going to improve matters either. Yes, it can be frustrating and downright depressing to read other people's negative thoughts, but they have the right to vent their frustrations, even if some people are doing it in rather... melodramatic fashion. You're only doing the same thing by complaining about it, which again is your right. I don't mind it so much so long as it's kept in a civil tone.

But then I'm in no position to dictate ;)
#FreeGonzo
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

What I find quite wearing is that it's hard to remember a time when we weren't being told how bad things are. I find that more frustrating than anything else, well, perhaps the Hamilton & Rosberg/Senna & Prost thing was worse but....

The point is, when did all this crap start? As with anything there's always been aspirations or requirements to make changes and that I can live with. But when did F1 begin being portrayed the way it is today as a chaotic shambles with nothing but problems (and often by the actual custodians of it or senior powers-that-be, bizarrely).

I'm thinking the early noughties. I don't like that time period anyway so it can have my wrath right up to the hilt.
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

CoopsII wrote:What I find quite wearing is that it's hard to remember a time when we weren't being told how bad things are. I find that more frustrating than anything else, well, perhaps the Hamilton & Rosberg/Senna & Prost thing was worse but....

The point is, when did all this crap start? As with anything there's always been aspirations or requirements to make changes and that I can live with. But when did F1 begin being portrayed the way it is today as a chaotic shambles with nothing but problems (and often by the actual custodians of it or senior powers-that-be, bizarrely).

I'm thinking the early noughties. I don't like that time period anyway so it can have my wrath right up to the hilt.

I think it really started with the growth of social media. People seem more likely to post about what they don't like as a form of ventilation/thinking it will make a difference than writing appraisal. With Facebook and Twitter figures associated directly with the sport can more easily see what fans think, and what they see is a lot of people wanting to bring back the 80s/90s/00s, mostly due to nostalgia. Yes, there has always been a number of people dissatisfied with whatever the current direction of the sport is, be it increasing safety measures in the late sixties/early seventies, or "Ferrari International Assistance" in the early noughties, or DRS now. It's just that nowadays these complaints are much more visible.
#FreeGonzo
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Following the qualifying rules, the FIA also introduce something called "Driver of the Day". Which means... drivers can vote for what they think is the best driver of the day.

Should we sue?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

My gripe with the new system is that thers still the pointless Q1, Q2, Q3 sessions. They made sense before, but now they are pointless. Just let everyone go out for like an hour or 90 minutes and just cut people every x minutes or so. Job done.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Miguel98 wrote:Following the qualifying rules, the FIA also introduce something called "Driver of the Day". Which means... drivers can vote for what they think is the best driver of the day.

Not drivers, viewers. Online and such.

I guess it's better than FEs Fan Boost <shudder>
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I remember F1 being bad and turning off fans ever since the early noughties like CoopsII said. Back then refueling was bad and races were nothing more than glorified qualifying processions bereft of overtaking or strategy that enabled Schumacher to plant his foot down on the accelerator and disappear into the distance. There were many task forces to fight lack of overtaking during that decade and eventually they came out with this Formula only for fans crying about the quality of racing and apparently wanting many of the stuff that was deemed wrong back into the sport.

I don't follow the sport like before mainly because not of the quality of racing or any other nonsense like entertainment (Wrestling is a good thing for those who like to see that in "sport") but because the true issue of modern Formula 1 (and the political aspect and all negativity that goes with it which is, quite frankly, infuriating): inability of springing more surprises and falling into routine quite frequently despite some occasional changes or major revamps. Once it settles on a main theme for the races, everybody will be crying boredom all over again.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Wallio wrote:My gripe with the new system is that thers still the pointless Q1, Q2, Q3 sessions. They made sense before, but now they are pointless. Just let everyone go out for like an hour or 90 minutes and just cut people every x minutes or so. Job done.

Agreed, that's my only gripe with the system too. Over-complicates it a bit too much. Aside from that I'm ready to give it the benefit of doubt.

Ataxia wrote:If you don't like it, go and watch something else.

I suppose this is really what I'm getting at. All the bitching and moaning won't make the slightest difference to the situation. The reality F1 fans face is to either watch the races, or not watch them.

Or, if you feel that the sport is going the wrong way, then how about suggesting what you'd do instead? Because all I've seen is lots of angry people without any idea at all what they'd do if given the chance. It's like complaining for the sake of it, because that's apparently what we do now when a new rule comes out. Put up or shut up.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

The growing disinterest in F1 has only one reason: pay television. Average Joe just wants to put the TV on on a relaxing sunday, often just in the background. Average Joe is not a passionate fan. Average Joe doesn't care much about entertainment or technicalities, he just watches what is on TV. If that's formula 1, he'll watch formula 1, if that's curling, he'll watch curling. I've never heared anyone complaining about lack of noise, and that's mostly because people only watch F1 as background, so they won't really notice. Or maybe they're just angry they can't use the noise as an excuse when their partner/parents are yelling at them :P The only thing i heared average Joe saying is 'those cars are really ugly'. Indeed, it's not really poster material and not really marketeable. And that is really what i hear average people complaining about constantly since the early 2000's. But then at least the cars looked functional. Nowadays people 'just don't get it anymore'. Look at a toy store what kind of F1-like toys you'll find. Mostly eighties, nineties or early nillies like cars. The lego F1 cars? Well, people know lego isn't supposed to be realistic.
What made people here in Flanders lose interest? It wasn't the bad commentators (because we could still change to the walloon or british channel), it's because there's not a single channel providing F1 anymore free of cost. (i can not even receive La Deux anymore on my own tv, thankfully my parents finally got a digicorder so i could at least watch La Deux again when i need to). And average joe, who makes between 1000 and 1500€per month if they're lucky has bills to pay, so he doesn't care about buying fancy technology and subscribing to all kinds of different channels. Here in Flanders, average Joe will rather turn to cycling, cyclocross, tennis and football, because those sports are more available. Why would any Flemish company sponsor a Flemish driver? (and we got plenty of big companies that could defenitely afford sponsorship, and a mega-talented chap who just became GP2 champion)

The qualifying format? People will simply not give a shite. Average Joe has never been interested in qualifying sessions anyway. Technical rule changes? Average Joe still thinks the rules are supposed to be more or less the same as when he watched F1 for the first time. Average Belgian Joe doesn't even know who Ayrton Senna is.

Meh, this could go to the rantbox instead maybe.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I'm metaphorically patting F1 on its shoulder from behind as it just doesn't know what to do. Poor F1, you used to have such distinction and pride, and now nobody takes you seriously :( And it's all your own fault.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

This wrote:The growing disinterest in F1 has only one reason: pay television. Average Joe just wants to put the TV on on a relaxing sunday, often just in the background. Average Joe is not a passionate fan. Average Joe doesn't care much about entertainment or technicalities, he just watches what is on TV. If that's formula 1, he'll watch formula 1, if that's curling, he'll watch curling. I've never heared anyone complaining about lack of noise, and that's mostly because people only watch F1 as background, so they won't really notice. Or maybe they're just angry they can't use the noise as an excuse when their partner/parents are yelling at them :P The only thing i heared average Joe saying is 'those cars are really ugly'. Indeed, it's not really poster material and not really marketeable. And that is really what i hear average people complaining about constantly since the early 2000's. But then at least the cars looked functional. Nowadays people 'just don't get it anymore'. Look at a toy store what kind of F1-like toys you'll find. Mostly eighties, nineties or early nillies like cars. The lego F1 cars? Well, people know lego isn't supposed to be realistic.
What made people here in Flanders lose interest? It wasn't the bad commentators (because we could still change to the walloon or british channel), it's because there's not a single channel providing F1 anymore free of cost. (i can not even receive La Deux anymore on my own tv, thankfully my parents finally got a digicorder so i could at least watch La Deux again when i need to). And average joe, who makes between 1000 and 1500€per month if they're lucky has bills to pay, so he doesn't care about buying fancy technology and subscribing to all kinds of different channels. Here in Flanders, average Joe will rather turn to cycling, cyclocross, tennis and football, because those sports are more available. Why would any Flemish company sponsor a Flemish driver? (and we got plenty of big companies that could defenitely afford sponsorship, and a mega-talented chap who just became GP2 champion)

Seconded. Doesnt matter how good the sport/show/package is, F1 fans are not willing to pay the inflated pay TV costs for something that was a fraction of the cost a few years back, while average Joe wont pay for a channel they dont have a serious interest in.

For interest a few years back on here I done a quick set of sums to work out the cost of going to Sky vs free to air in the UK. I have decided to do it again. (All apporximates)

Cost for Sky
You need both Sky AND Sky Sports to get the F1 channel: £30.48 a month (Normally £45.50 but Sky have a deal just now) = £365.76 a year (Normally £546). Min contract is 1 year
TV licence (Manditory by law): £145.50
Cost today: £511.26 a year (For 21 races: £24.35 per race)
Cost NORMALLY: £691.50 a year (For 21 races: £32.93 a race)
Under old Free to air for a season: £145.50 (For 21 races: £6.93 a race)

This is at least 3 times the cost of a race and in fact is up to 4 times as much as it was just a few years ago. Sky sports is mainly a football channel, so unless you watch a LOT of football as well, most people are not going to pay £24-33 a race just to watch one channel tiwce a month. Currently its just too expensive and its no coincidence the Eurpoean audience has plummeted when F1 starts hiding behind a paywall.
Its the opposite of supply and demand - Bernie has reckoned less supply would drive up the cost fans would be willing to pay but its done the opposite - less supply has equalled less demand.

To tie this all in, I reckon F1 fans are also more vocal as the thought is now there that if you are paying serious money for a product, there is now a demand for value for money. You can make as many changes as you want to F1 but if nobody can afford to watch it or have easy access to it, its all in vain.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Wholeheartedly agree with the points made about F1 going to pay-TV. Like most members here, I originally got interested in F1 because me and my parents watched it on TV when it was free-to-air. Yes it had commercials, yes it had over-enthusiastic commentators, but we could still watch our local sports heroes doing what they do best without paying anything extra beyond the TV licence fee.

In 2007, live F1 broadcasts in Finland were put on pay-TV and free viewers were left to cope with highlights and/or a rebroadcast on Monday afternoon. Of course my parents bought the channel package to watch the races live - it was our first pay-TV in any form - and despite the MTV channel package growing progressively larger and larger (and more expensive) we've kept paying for it to upkeep our Sunday afternoon tradition. We nearly quit it last year (and I was in favor of that) but eventually decided to continue our subscription. Now though, MTV has decided to move F1 to their much bigger and expensive sports package which mostly concentrates on football, ice hockey, golf and tennis. Although our cable TV operator announced that they'll try to give F1 to existing customers with the former price, it looks like I won't be watching F1 live after this year. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, I think most people around here know that my interest in the sport has been severely reduced over the past few years...

My point is, moving F1 behind a paywall will be very costly to the sport in the long term. Existing fans who grew up watching the sport on free-to-air will pay if they can, but the next generation won't get that important first introduction to F1 unless their parents are willing to pay for an expensive pay-TV package. And with the European economy still recovering, many families simply can't afford it.

As for the knockout qualifying system, it does sound awfully gimmicky but I won't shoot it down until I see it in action. Maybe it can shake things up a bit.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Collieafc wrote:To tie this all in, I reckon F1 fans are also more vocal as the thought is now there that if you are paying serious money for a product, there is now a demand for value for money.

This is an excellent point, and may well be behind why elements of the fanbase have become more vocal. I'd be surprised if many actually use it as a basis, or justification, for their complaints though.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Waris

Post by Waris »

I'm a little bit torn about this whole qualifying format shakeup. Normally I'm of the opinion that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and the qualifying format was definitely one of very few things in F1 that most people (including me) agreed didn't need fixing. On the other hand, this format actually sounds fun and potentially more interesting to the current one, so I'll give it a chance. If it's not good they can always change it back, I suppose.

I'm more concerned about the postponement of the bodywork rules though, because if I understood correctly, February 28 was the deadline for implementing the rules merely with majority support, after that it would take unanimous support. Or am I getting something messed up now?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

One thing I don't get about the new qualifying system: what I've read is that during each session, the slowest gets eliminated after every 90 seconds. Do times get reset every 90 seconds? If not, the Mercedes and Ferrari drivers could set a good time, come in, do a pit stop, then go out again. If so, then you could have problems at tracks where lap times are greater than 90 seconds, like at Singapore...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

dr-baker wrote:One thing I don't get about the new qualifying system: what I've read is that during each session, the slowest gets eliminated after every 90 seconds. Do times get reset every 90 seconds? If not, the Mercedes and Ferrari drivers could set a good time, come in, do a pit stop, then go out again. If so, then you could have problems at tracks where lap times are greater than 90 seconds, like at Singapore...

The latter. I think at least.
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:One thing I don't get about the new qualifying system: what I've read is that during each session, the slowest gets eliminated after every 90 seconds. Do times get reset every 90 seconds? If not, the Mercedes and Ferrari drivers could set a good time, come in, do a pit stop, then go out again. If so, then you could have problems at tracks where lap times are greater than 90 seconds, like at Singapore...

No times get reset. It's just a case of the slowest gets eliminated and he has to return to the pits. 90 seconds later the next slowest driver gets eliminated and so on until the session is over.
#FreeGonzo
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

So if times are not re-set ( too few tyres for that , and too little time ) , then the need for 3 sessions remains - otherwise Rosberg fans would only see him at the start.....and the end.
Overall I just think the proposed system is going to be confusing; they'll often only have time for one timed run at the start of each session ,and then people are eliminated while sitting in the pits, with some drivers keen to go again (if they have the tyres available) and other drivers either resigned to being dropped , or able to wait and see.. So I can see people overall doing fewer laps - the back of the grid guys will often do one run only won't they? So less chance to see your heroes..
And at the end - if you've used your tyres getting second fastest, you won't go again ..even if you're in the 'last two'. So it might just fizzle out
But there will be some decisions to take as to when to go out, when to sit tight, which might mix things up .And even the quick boys will have to go out in the first minutes of quallie; no waiting until 10 minutes have passed
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Bobby Doorknobs

yannicksamlad wrote:So if times are not re-set ( too few tyres for that , and too little time ) , then the need for 3 sessions remains - otherwise Rosberg fans would only see him at the start.....and the end.
Overall I just think the proposed system is going to be confusing; they'll often only have time for one timed run at the start of each session ,and then people are eliminated while sitting in the pits, with some drivers keen to go again (if they have the tyres available) and other drivers either resigned to being dropped , or able to wait and see.. So I can see people overall doing fewer laps - the back of the grid guys will often do one run only won't they? So less chance to see your heroes..
And at the end - if you've used your tyres getting second fastest, you won't go again ..even if you're in the 'last two'. So it might just fizzle out
But there will be some decisions to take as to when to go out, when to sit tight, which might mix things up .And even the quick boys will have to go out in the first minutes of quallie; no waiting until 10 minutes have passed

Actually, the elimination doesn't start until seven minutes into Q1, six minutes into Q2, and five minutes into Q3, respectively, so there will be plenty of time for teams to get a good lap in before drivers are eliminated.

And as for the last two, Q3 tyres don't get used in the race, so there is still an incentive to shoot for pole.
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Autosport are reporting that the new qualifying system will be postponed at least until the Spanish GP. They quote Bernie saying that they just cannot get all the software written in time to make it work.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

dr-baker wrote:Autosport are reporting that the new qualifying system will be postponed at least until the Spanish GP. They quote Bernie saying that they just cannot get all the software written in time to make it work.

Sounds like the worst excuse I've heard in a while...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

They really didn't think that through, seems like quite a rejectful oversight
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:Autosport are reporting that the new qualifying system will be postponed at least until the Spanish GP. They quote Bernie saying that they just cannot get all the software written in time to make it work.

May as well postpone it until next year. If there's anything I hate it's seeing rules changed mid-season for benefits other than safety.
#FreeGonzo
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

What a bummer. At least we will see it in the Spanish Grand prix onwards.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
AlliotsUsualAccident

Post by AlliotsUsualAccident »

How do the teams put up with him in charge anymore? The man sounded so incredibly out of touch and tone-deaf in this interview...the sport has major issues in dropping interest and ratings and his best solution it to change qualifying rules? Incredible. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... z40tDtdL35
mario

Post by mario »

AlliotsUsualAccident wrote:

How do the teams put up with him in charge anymore? The man sounded so incredibly out of touch and tone-deaf in this interview...the sport has major issues in dropping interest and ratings and his best solution it to change qualifying rules? Incredible. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... z40tDtdL35

The thing is, does Bernie necessarily have the leverage over the sport that he once did have? Yes, he did propose changing the qualifying regulations, but the changes that were brought in were essentially a fudge between himself and the teams that meant neither side really got what they wanted (Bernie effectively wanting to implement the reverse grid idea from GP2, whilst the major teams wanted to avoid changes to a qualifying system that work well for them).

Equally, it could be said that whilst Bernie did wring some concessions from Mercedes and Ferrari over the engines, ultimately it has to be said that Bernie did manage to achieve his end goal - his political allies, Red Bull, are still left without the engine deal they wanted.

Whilst Mercedes and Ferrari had a check on their influence in the sport, ultimately Bernie was the one who had to yield ground. It feels as if Bernie is increasingly trying to use the press as a blunt instrument to wield against those teams - hence the regular criticism voiced to journalists - because some of the tools which he used to be able to use behind the scenes aren't as effective as they were.

Equally, Bernie is in a situation where a number of the figures he used to rely on are no longer in the sport. For example, instead of Montezemolo, a man whom he had worked with for years and who he knew had a deep set passion for Ferrari and for racing, he faces figures like Marchionne, a man who thinks of Ferrari as a luxury good instead of an automobile manufacturer and essentially has no interest in the long term health of the sport.

Ultimately, I think that he is accepted mainly because of the fact that he isn't fully in charge, and ultimately many of the issues that the sport faces are coming up precisely because nobody is really in control of the situation.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

So, it seems FOM blocked Grosjean to share any Haas videos in his social networks pages. :facepalm:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-social-media-approach-narrow-minded-grosjean-676090/
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Nuppiz wrote:

Sounds like by far the most realistic reason imaginable.

This sounds like something the old fossils at HQ concocted impulsively, and thus thought; "Oh, it'll only take the geeks and boffins 5 minutes to get this set up. It's technology, everything is instant, right? Let them worry about it."

Just because it's modern doesn't mean it takes 10 minutes to get going. Just look at all the teething troubles the WRC had when switching its timing supplier.

It was an interesting idea, but it's just as well they pushed back its introduction, otherwise we'd be facing a modern day scenario of Atari does E.T. again, 20 years later.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Miguel98 wrote:So, it seems FOM blocked Grosjean to share any Haas videos in his social networks pages. :facepalm:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-social-media-approach-narrow-minded-grosjean-676090/

Presumably a result of the commercial deals struck with (mostly) the pay-tv broadcasters. Just like teams in the Premier League aren't allowed to publish highlight videos of their matches until ~4 weeks after the game.

Biscione wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:

Sounds like by far the most realistic reason imaginable.

This sounds like something the old fossils at HQ concocted impulsively, and thus thought; "Oh, it'll only take the geeks and boffins 5 minutes to get this set up. It's technology, everything is instant, right? Let them worry about it."

Just because it's modern doesn't mean it takes 10 minutes to get going. Just look at all the teething troubles the WRC had when switching its timing supplier.

It was an interesting idea, but it's just as well they pushed back its introduction, otherwise we'd be facing a modern day scenario of Atari does E.T. again, 20 years later.

If they're pushing it back to mid-season, they might as well push it back to 2017. I'm skeptical about how much of a difference it'll even make. It's a complicated and convoluted system that won't be properly explained, and I don't think it'll get more cars on track throughout each quali session, especially with Q1 and Q2 tyres being race sets.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

This wrote:The growing disinterest in F1 has only one reason: pay television.

This :dance:
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123156
Sauber having trouble with money again.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123156

Given what happened with the team last year, you suspected that it was more of a question of when, rather than if, their financial problems would return.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

mario wrote:

Given what happened with the team last year, you suspected that it was more of a question of when, rather than if, their financial problems would return.

Isn't this the season where Sauber receive a cut in the amount of TV money they receive, due to their 10th place in the 2014 WCC? I think the payments are backdated a season or two, if I remember correctly.

Either way, I seriously worry for Sauber's future when Nasr moves on, given Banco do Brasil money basically kept the team afloat last season.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Let's hope the new sponsor won't come with IKEA colours :geek:
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Spectoremg wrote:
Let's hope the new sponsor won't come with IKEA colours :geek:

BUT... it would save a bit of money on paint and decals if they do!
MCard LOLA