Grand Prix Rejects 2015-16 Off-season Rolling Trivia Quiz!

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
tommykl

Re: Grand Prix Rejects 2015-16 Off-season Rolling Trivia Qui

Post by tommykl »

Here's my question:

What unusual catch was there to qualifying in Monaco in the 1960s, which was extended to most race in 1970? As an aside, what even more unusual decision did the organisers make in Monaco 1970 when practice was rained out?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

tommykl wrote:Here's my question:

What unusual catch was there to qualifying in Monaco in the 1960s, which was extended to most race in 1970? As an aside, what even more unusual decision did the organisers make in Monaco 1970 when practice was rained out?

That's funny, I don't know what the organizers do!

But I'll try:
Adding a pre-pre-qualifying and brooming the entire circuit to dry it
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Was this the seeding thing where x number of drivers, based on past performance, works status and general reputation were guaranteed a starting spot regardless of qualifying time?
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Works drivers and previous winners were quarenteed a place on the grid regardless of the qualifying time? In monaco 1970 it changed and the top 10 in fastest practice laps went to the race while the rest of the grid their own session to set a laptime but couldnt start ahead of the 10 cars that had made the grid even if they set a faster time
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

MorbidelliObese wrote:Was this the seeding thing where x number of drivers, based on past performance, works status and general reputation were guaranteed a starting spot regardless of qualifying time?

You got the main thing first, which is that a number of drivers, usually simply works drivers and 10 in the case of Monaco in 1970, were guaranteed starting spots on the grid. The grid was still set by increasing qualifying times, but drivers would often fail to qualify when they'd set quicker times than the man in last place on the grid.

However, you still haven't found the answer to how practice played out in Monaco 1970. MorbidelliObese gets the point, but I'd still like to see someone get it!
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

F1 Has seperate sessions for it and its support races, did they combine all of them into one session. So you had F1 cars practicing at the same time as whatever was supporting them
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

peteroli34 wrote:F1 Has seperate sessions for it and its support races, did they combine all of them into one session. So you had F1 cars practicing at the same time as whatever was supporting them

While that would have been an awesome sight, that didn't happen. I'll give a slight clarification: what I'm looking for is the idea that the organisers came up with. This idea didn't actually get used, and a more conventional arrangement used.

MorbidelliObese

Complete guess but did they propose to run on Friday to make up for lost time?
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

MorbidelliObese wrote:Complete guess but did they propose to run on Friday to make up for lost time?

Adding extra practice was indeed the eventual solution, in the form of an extra 30-minute session on Saturday evening, as it was most of Saturday that had been rained out. On Thursday, only four drivers had set times in the already rainy weather.

But what was the organisers' original proposition?

MorbidelliObese

To set the grid by numerical or alphabetical order? :P
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

At the time there was no seperate qualifying session like there is today. A drivers qualiication time would be their fastest lap time regardless of what practice session it was set in. Did they propose a qualifying session like we have know where only the times from that session would count for the grid.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

peteroli34 wrote:At the time there was no seperate qualifying session like there is today. A drivers qualiication time would be their fastest lap time regardless of what practice session it was set in. Did they propose a qualifying session like we have know where only the times from that session would count for the grid.

Given that all they eventually had was 30 minutes and most drivers hadn't yet set a time, that's essentially what ended up happening, but that's not what I'm looking for...

MorbidelliObese

Grid to be set by random drawing of names?
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

....mmm....maybe an early revelation of a concept that came to the fore much , much later;
they proposed a reversed grid (Championship order....possibly length of hair?), recognising that this was needed to 'spice up' ( "epicier" in the franglais used in the draft press release) the 'show'..

I've ( clearly) no idea
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

They decided the grid by playing BlackJack with the 16 drivers

EDIT: They want to held a qualifying race for 23 laps for not locked-in drivers
tommykl has a stroke
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

..or to be based on finishing order of previous race....
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

AxelP800 wrote:EDIT: They want to held a qualifying race for 23 laps for not locked-in drivers

...you Googled it, didn't you? :P

AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

tommykl wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:EDIT: They want to held a qualifying race for 23 laps for not locked-in drivers

I can't deny it :P I don't realise statsf1 actually have the explanation. It's up to Simtek to DSQ me. But anyway I'm reluctant to give the next question to other eligible, I'm busy now :)
tommykl has a stroke
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

AxelP800 wrote:
tommykl wrote:

I can't deny it :P I don't realise statsf1 actually have the explanation. It's up to Simtek to DSQ me. But anyway I'm reluctant to give the next question to other eligible, I'm busy now :)

Well, either way, I said that the main thing I was looking for was the system of the works drivers being automatically guaranteed a spot, so MorbidelliObese gets the point and the question ;)

MorbidelliObese

In the first ever race held at Silverstone, who lost their life as a result of an accident during the race?
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Its a trick question noone was killed

During Silverstone's operational history as an RAF airfield some bored personnel decided to run a race using the vehicles on the airfield during this race one of them hit and killed an animal that had wondered onto the runway. When the actual track opened these people claimed that they were the first to race on what was now a proper race track.
MorbidelliObese

Correct, I was playing a bit fast and loose with the "who" pronoun there, but the key point was that a living breathing organism, albeit a non-human, ceased to be as a result of an accident during that unofficial race. Over to you!
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

MorbidelliObese wrote:Correct, I was playing a bit fast and loose with the "who" pronoun there, but the key point was that a living breathing organism, albeit a non-human, ceased to be as a result of an accident during that unofficial race. Over to you!

Dont tell me that my entire awnser is correct? i thought it might have been a animal of some kind just wasnt sure of the race circumstances. But ill take it.

Was what significant about Tony Brooks win at the 1955 Syracuse GP?
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

peteroli34 wrote:
MorbidelliObese wrote:Correct, I was playing a bit fast and loose with the "who" pronoun there, but the key point was that a living breathing organism, albeit a non-human, ceased to be as a result of an accident during that unofficial race. Over to you!

Dont tell me that my entire awnser is correct? i thought it might have been a animal of some kind just wasnt sure of the race circumstances. But ill take it.

It was his first grand prix victory?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

peteroli34 wrote:

Multiple things, really.

First win by a British driver in a British car in a major European Grand Prix after WW2. Afterwards, he returned to the UK to take his final exams to qualify as a dentist.

Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

While indeed both the above awnsers an correct its not the awnser i was looking for. The awnser is something to do with the car rather then the person behind the wheel
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

peteroli34 wrote:While indeed both the above awnsers an correct its not the awnser i was looking for. The awnser is something to do with the car rather then the person behind the wheel

Well, it was a Connaught-Alta, so it might have been the only win for either of them?

Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

peteroli34 wrote:While indeed both the above awnsers an correct its not the awnser i was looking for. The awnser is something to do with the car rather then the person behind the wheel

First GP win for a British constructor for 31 years?
MorbidelliObese

peteroli34 wrote:

I don't believe the race was run during wartime by servicemen based there, but the key point was that a member of of the local wildlife was involved in an unfortunate accident during that first informal race around the airfield, so yeah you get the point :)

My first guess on your question was that it was the first post war win by a British car in a major European race, but since it's not that, I'll take a wild guess and say the first win for a car running on Avon tyres?
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

First british driver to win driving a car built and designed in his country?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

No one has the awnser im looking for yet
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

First english driver of a british car to win a "continental" Grand Prix since 1924?
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
mario

Post by mario »

peteroli34 wrote:

First victory to be taken by a car equipped with disk brakes?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

A few different souces say it was the first victory by an car with disc brakes so over to you
mario

Post by mario »

peteroli34 wrote:A few different souces say it was the first victory by an car with disc brakes so over to you

I'll admit that my answer was a little speculative, but I'm glad to see it paid off - anyway, onto a new question.

Officially, during the 1974 Argentinian GP, Fittipaldi had to pull into the pits to have a loose spark plug lead reattached in the opening laps of the race, causing him to loose time.

However, according to Fittipaldi, there was a different reason for him pulling into the pits - what was his explanation for what happened?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Can't wait to find out..but in meantime I will guess ; were his seatbelts loose?
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

A wild guess: he accidentally soiled/wet himself.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Or...steering wheel and/ or gear lever was loose?
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

He didnt have a reason to pit it was a misunderstanding
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

He thought the engine was not set on full power yet