The _TCC Series Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
AndreaModa

Re: The _TCC Series Thread

Post by AndreaModa »

The thing with the MG was that 2015 was its fourth year of competition without any major changes. In that time Honda had changed vehicles twice, to the Tourer and then the Civic Type R. Plus the BMR VWs, the BMW 125i, the new Ford this year, and the Mercedes meant it was often the fourth or fifth best car out there. Definitely needed a new lease of life and I guess Plato realised that at the end of 2014.

BTW, love the username! Welcome to the forum! :)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AlliotsUsualAccident

Post by AlliotsUsualAccident »

AndreaModa wrote:The thing with the MG was that 2015 was its fourth year of competition without any major changes. In that time Honda had changed vehicles twice, to the Tourer and then the Civic Type R. Plus the BMR VWs, the BMW 125i, the new Ford this year, and the Mercedes meant it was often the fourth or fifth best car out there. Definitely needed a new lease of life and I guess Plato realised that at the end of 2014.

BTW, love the username! Welcome to the forum! :)

Yeah that's very true. Triple-8's track record is strong enough that when they make a change, it tends to lead to success. Having a 3-year deal is great from their end too to get a proper R&D cycle going. Good for the series to have manufacturer commitment too.

and cheers, glad to be here!
andrew

Post by andrew »

I just caught up with the TCR series, in some places it is better than WTCC, nicer circuits in countires that actually watch Motorsport (possibly ignoring a couple) fairly close cars (Honda v Seat) although Suburu and Ford need to catch up. Some great racing at circuits allowing for it (Monza, Red bull ring) and a championship decider in Macau.
Well done to Stefano Comini, that crash at the start was something else...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Team BMR have just become the official SUBARU works team in the BTCC this season. Championship gamechanger right there. :shock:

As the years go on, the more I'm convinced that Warren Scott is the second coming of Gandalf. Is there anything this man can't do off-track. His business acumen is second to none.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Ah well, an ugly car for an ugly driver - seems about right (and you know I don't mean Turkington, I'm guessing)

As if Citroen in WTCC wasn't bad enough.....
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I'm kinda excited about this, hoping it'll give an advantage back to Turkington again. But have Subaru ever been in BTCC before (either as independent or works entry)?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

The Subaru Levorg, eh? Someone at Fuji HQ wasn't thinking straight when they came up with that name. And don't go saying it was a non-native English speaker, because when I see this:

The All-Knowing Oracle wrote: According to Subaru, the name Levorg is a combination of three words, LEgacy, reVOlution, touRinG.

...I don't believe it came from someone with a grip of English as tenuous as the various members of Metalucifer. Rule number one of naming your new car: check to see if it has any unfortunate connotations like the Fiat Punto and Kia Provo. Spell it backwards, just in case...

New for 2016 from Japan will be the Toyota Timbus, the Mazda Esonnworb and the Mitsuoka Tnahpocys.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

dinizintheoven wrote:The Subaru Levorg, eh? Someone at Fuji HQ wasn't thinking straight when they came up with that name. And don't go saying it was a non-native English speaker, because when I see this:

The All-Knowing Oracle wrote: According to Subaru, the name Levorg is a combination of three words, LEgacy, reVOlution, touRinG.

...I don't believe it came from someone with a grip of English as tenuous as the various members of Metalucifer. Rule number one of naming your new car: check to see if it has any unfortunate connotations like the Fiat Punto and Kia Provo. Spell it backwards, just in case...

Mind you Subaru is also the company that made the BRAT, whose name isn't just a misenomer of the people who drive it but rather a funky acronym much like the Levorg, meaning "Bi-drive Recreational All-terrain Transport".

Subaru going into touring car racing with some semblance of factory support, thus excluding the TCR Impreza, has been a rumor that has flown around cyberspace for the last few years without materialsing. It's good to see them finally pull the trigger. Now watch it not have a Boxer engine.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
Samster

Post by Samster »

There will be a new feeder series for the BTCC using the older NGTC cars. Sadly it won't be part of the TOCA package and will have its own six meeting calender.
http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/btcc-de ... d-in-2016/

Sound familiar? :P
http://formularejects.com/wiki/BTC_Development_Series

In other news, Tom Ingram will remain in the Speedworks Toyota.
http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/speedwo ... -campaign/
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Samster wrote:There will be a new feeder series for the BTCC using the older NGTC cars. Sadly it won't be part of the TOCA package and will have its own six meeting calender.
/

Im Surprised there is enough NGTC cars around to make it viable, I know teams cannibalised cars for the spec parts to make new ones so surely the shells are around. So when teams upgrade to RML parts they can put the original GPRM parts in the spare shells. Good way for teams to earn especially with the limited appeal of the NGTC formula
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Completely out of the blue, Jack Goff will be Andy Priaulx's replacement at WSR! No one saw this move coming. Fantastic opportunity for the chap, and it appears IHG are sponsoring his seat as well.

It does beg the question as to who's gonna be driving for MG this season. Those 5-season old MGs are not top machinery any long.

peteroli34 wrote:
Samster wrote:There will be a new feeder series for the BTCC using the older NGTC cars. Sadly it won't be part of the TOCA package and will have its own six meeting calender.
/

Im Surprised there is enough NGTC cars around to make it viable, I know teams cannibalised cars for the spec parts to make new ones so surely the shells are around. So when teams upgrade to RML parts they can put the original GPRM parts in the spare shells. Good way for teams to earn especially with the limited appeal of the NGTC formula

I believe Rob Austin Racing are entering their two Audis in the series, whilst off the top of my head there's a bunch of Honda and Toyota shells available, the two Welch Protons, and maybe the two BMR Vauxhall Insignias, if they haven't scrapped the shells.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

East Londoner wrote:It does beg the question as to who's gonna be driving for MG this season. Those 5-season old MGs are not top machinery any long.

I was under the impression that MG were introducing a new car this year, as part of the extended three year deal.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

RealRacingRoots wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:The Subaru Levorg, eh? Someone at Fuji HQ wasn't thinking straight when they came up with that name. And don't go saying it was a non-native English speaker, because when I see this:

Mind you Subaru is also the company that made the BRAT, whose name isn't just a misenomer of the people who drive it but rather a funky acronym much like the Levorg, meaning "Bi-drive Recreational All-terrain Transport".

Subaru going into touring car racing with some semblance of factory support, thus excluding the TCR Impreza, has been a rumor that has flown around cyberspace for the last few years without materialsing. It's good to see them finally pull the trigger. Now watch it not have a Boxer engine.

Well...
Autosport and Warren Scott wrote:"Although it is an estate car, it has a very strong drag coefficient and also the dynamics of the boxer engine mean that the weight is lower down in the unit, which will help with the weight distribution of the car.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Samster

Post by Samster »

Rob Austin has made a shock move to Handy Motorsports to drive their new second Avensis. Presumably they bought one of RAR's TBLs which means there is no more Rob Austin Racing. Shame as I hoped they would pick up the ex BMR Passats.

http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/rob-aus ... a-avensis/
AlliotsUsualAccident

Post by AlliotsUsualAccident »

roblomas52 wrote:Well...
Autosport and Warren Scott wrote:"Although it is an estate car, it has a very strong drag coefficient and also the dynamics of the boxer engine mean that the weight is lower down in the unit, which will help with the weight distribution of the car.

Awesome. Would love the variety of a boxer engine in the series.

In reading the rules, the BTCC site doesn't specify whether teams are limited to a 4-cylinder engine, so I've always wondered if we could get a lesser-tuned V6 a la the old Ford Mondeo days. I've always thought it was 4-cylinder only but I'm curious...
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

AndreaModa wrote:I was under the impression that MG were introducing a new car this year, as part of the extended three year deal.

I thought they were just going to update the cars with RML parts rather then a new build MG6.

AlliotsUsualAccident wrote:n reading the rules, the BTCC site doesn't specify whether teams are limited to a 4-cylinder engine, so I've always wondered if we could get a lesser-tuned V6 a la the old Ford Mondeo days. I've always thought it was 4-cylinder only but I'm curious...

Im sure they are limited to 4 cylinder engines the original rules back in 2011 seem to confirm that dont know is it has changed though
http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/general-news-btcc/ngtc-rules-in-depth/
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

And the person to drive the third Honda Civic is..

:shock: :facepalm:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Miguel98 wrote:And the person to drive the third Honda Civic is..

Why? Just why? :facepalm:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Wow, Honda must be short of money. Should be fun to watch him being a reject near the back of the field, just a shame he is wasting a good car.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Miguel98 wrote:And the person to drive the third Honda Civic is..

This has to be a practical joke surely. Worst driver signing ever. :facepalm:

Anyone care to have a bet on who crashed more this season, Andy Neate or Alex Martin?
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

This is a pisstake, right?

I would say that Honda could be having a laugh and just taking the huge wad of cash he's no doubt stumped up, but given that repair bills will take up most of that, there must be a better reason. Um....no...I'm struggling to think of one.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Mat Jackson confirmed to stay at Motorbase in the BTCC this season! :D
http://www.racer.com/latest-stories/ite ... -motorbase
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Woooooo Fat Jackson is back. :dance: This has got to be his best chance of winning the title yet. BMR Subaru probably won't come good until after Donington Park, so if he can fend off the Hondas, WSR Beemers, Adam Morgan's Merc, and AJ in the other Motorbase Focus and build a cushion, it's hard to look past him for the title. Mind you, this is the BTCC, and we all thought that at the start of 2013, only for Motorbase to completely miss the boat with the NGTC Focus...

Also, WSR confirmed Collard and Tordoff alongside Jack Goff yesterday, and unveiled a new livery on the 1-series Beemer.

By my poor maths, that means 10 available seats are left:

2x 888 MG
1x BMR Subaru
1x Eurotech Honda
1x Handy Toyota
2x Power Maxed Chevrolet
1x AMD Audi
1x SOPR Infiniti (I doubt they'll show up at all, they burned through the Infiniti money so quickly, and only made it to the end of last season on a shoestring)
1x Dan Welch anything on wheels :P (though there's a rumour he may have bought the spare Motorbase Focus)

Number of cars Andy Neate will crash into this season = too many to count probably. :pantano:
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

There is also the 2nd Rob Austin TBL avaliable who could have that?
Samster

Post by Samster »

My prediction for the grid.

Honda Team Dynamics
Gordon Shedden
Matt Neal
Andy Neate

All confirmed with Neate's inexplicable signing to the third car.

Subaru Team BMR
Jason Plato
Colin Turkington
Warren Scott
Ashley Sutton?

Clio Cup champion, Ashley Sutton gets promoted to the BTCC team.

BMW West Surrey Racing
Sam Tordoff
Rob Collard
Jack Goff

All confirmed.

MG Triple Eight Racing
Aron Smith?
Ash Hand?

Triple Eight's lineup is still anyone's guess but I see Aron Smith maybe moving here with the BMR alliance with most likely a rookie alongside him, or maybe someone like James Cole will buy the 2nd seat if he doesn't get to stay with Motorbase.

Motorbase Performance
Mat Jackson
Andrew Jordan
James Cole?

Can see the 2nd currently unaccounted for Austin TBL being bought by Motorbase so that they can keep Cole in their 3rd car.

Ciccelly-Moffat Racing
Adam Morgan
Aiden Moffat

All confirmed.

Power Maxed Racing
Dave Newsham?
Josh Cook?

Can't see their lineup changing.

Eurotech Racing
Martin Depper
Jeff Smith
Jack Clarke

Since he didn't get the 3rd Dynamics seat I can see Clarke being loaned out to Eurotech.

Speedworks Motorsports
Tom Ingram
Matt Simpson

All confirmed

Handy Motorsport
Rob Austin
Robb Holland?

Simon Belcher won't be racing this season and I can see Holland returning full time in the 2nd car.

AmD Tuning
Jake Hill?

It doesn't look like Nicolas Hamilton will be back so who drives AmD's S3 is anyone's guess. Hoping for Jake Hill to finally get a full time drive but it might go to some pay driver.

Team Parker Racing
Alex Martin

All confirmed to see if he can out crash Andy Neate this season.

Welch Motorsport
Dan Welch

Still have no idea what they'll be turning up with but hopefully something that can bring them back to their 2012-13 form.

Tony Gilham Racing
Chris Smiley

All confirmed with random driver no one has heard of, none of the new RML parts and the oldest car on the grid. Will be fighting Lines and Paras for the wooden spoon this season.

Support Our Paras Racing
Derek Palmer Jr.

Still no official news on them but I think they'll at least survive into this season. Derek Palmer will probably still be the driver.

Maximum Motorsport
Stewart Lines

All confirmed, can't see Lines being much quicker than last season despite a better car.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

James Cole doesn't get re-signed by Motorbase, and ends up in the BMR Subaru.

http://www.touringcars.net/2016/02/james-cole-switches-from-motorbase-to-complete-team-bmr-lineup
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

So with Cole to BMR could we see Aron Smith in a MG. Be intresting to see who has the 2nd Rob Austin TBL a current team with a 2nd or 3rd car or a new entry. I dont see SOPR making it on to the grid this year maybe that leaves another TBL free
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Samster

Post by Samster »

Miguel98 wrote:James Cole doesn't get re-signed by Motorbase, and ends up in the BMR Subaru.

http://www.touringcars.net/2016/02/james-cole-switches-from-motorbase-to-complete-team-bmr-lineup

So two champions and two scrub-lords for BMR. I'm hoping Aron Smith and Ashley Sutton get the Triple Eight MGs then.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Aron Smith is best off out of there. He was never allowed to do much anyway, lest Lord Plato get a bit upset.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Dave Newsham has called time on his BTCC career and joins Rally Cross.
http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/dave-ne ... allycross/
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Samster wrote:Dave Newsham has called time on his BTCC career and joins Rally Cross.

At least for the first time ever Newsham has stayed with the same team. With Newsham rally-crossing and Cook struggling with funding who could be driving the 2 Cruze's this season
Samster

Post by Samster »

peteroli34 wrote:
Samster wrote:Dave Newsham has called time on his BTCC career and joins Rally Cross.

At least for the first time ever Newsham has stayed with the same team. With Newsham rally-crossing and Cook struggling with funding who could be driving the 2 Cruze's this season

And now they have signed up Hunter Abbott.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122941
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Considering the success Triple 8 have had over the past 20 years, and how recent some of that success has been (mostly with Plato), it seems shocking that they the last team not to have any drivers signed up yet. Is the team with their MGs that bad that drivers don't want to go? Are their finances precarious?

The beginning of the end? I hope not.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

dr-baker wrote:Considering the success Triple 8 have had over the past 20 years, and how recent some of that success has been (mostly with Plato), it seems shocking that they the last team not to have any drivers signed up yet. Is the team with their MGs that bad that drivers don't want to go? Are their finances precarious?

The beginning of the end? I hope not.

Well, Sam Tordoff and Andrew Jordan have both been eluding to potential problems behind the scenes with team management, which is why they ended up falling out with the team. When Goff was announced at WSR, they were taking the piss out of 888 on Twitter.

As for 888, they'll probably end up with Aron Smith in one car and some monied-up scrub in the second car. There's no indication that MG are building new cars, so it's probably going to be the current shells (which date back to at least January 2012) fitted with the new RML kit. Probably good for the lower points, and maybe the odd reverse grid pole, but nothing more.

In other news, Power Maxed have stated they have been talking to a "multiple BTCC champion" about a seat. Which can only mean two men, Fabrizio Giovanardi or...JAMES THOMPSON. :D God I'd love to see Thommo back. He's only like 41, he's got plenty of years on his side.

(Alain Menu's still working behind the scenes with BMR iirc)
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Seems like only yesterday I was watching James Thompson in a Peugeot 405 when he'd barely cracked 20. He's one of those drivers I just can't imagine as a 41-year-old.

I'm having enough trouble wrestling with the fact that Sebastian Vettel will be 30 next year.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Unsurprisingly, Paras Racing are withdrawing from the BTCC.

Feel sorry for the Paras themselves, but good riddance to the Palmers. Biggest jackasses in the BTCC paddock since the days of Chris James. What a scummy team.
Samster

Post by Samster »

East Londoner wrote:Unsurprisingly, Paras Racing are withdrawing from the BTCC.

Feel sorry for the Paras themselves, but good riddance to the Palmers. Biggest jackasses in the BTCC paddock since the days of Chris James. What a scummy team.

I'm sad in a way as unless someone picks up the TBL it means we have to wait another year for a full 32 car grid and I liked the Infiniti car itself and Derek Jr. didn't seem to be a bad driver. Hope someone picks it up in either BTCC or BTEC.

Bet the Paras wish they had hooked up with a different team now. :(
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Samster wrote:
I'm sad in a way as unless someone picks up the TBL it means we have to wait another year for a full 32 car grid and I liked the Infiniti car itself and Derek Jr. didn't seem to be a bad driver. Hope someone picks it up in either BTCC or BTEC.

Well thats 3 TBL that are unaccounted for. Handy Motorsport, Rob Austin and the SOPR one who do we think could get them. The SOPR was loaned by Alan Gow so i could see them keeping that one back maybe.
Samster

Post by Samster »

peteroli34 wrote:
Samster wrote:

Well thats 3 TBL that are unaccounted for. Handy Motorsport, Rob Austin and the SOPR one who do we think could get them. The SOPR was loaned by Alan Gow so i could see them keeping that one back maybe.

I only count the Paras and 2nd Austin TBLs as unaccounted for. Handy will be running two cars.