2016 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dr-baker

Re: 2016 Silly Season Thread

Post by dr-baker »

If all the British coverage was geared towards Will Stevens (or Max Chilton prior to this year) instead, however...?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Lotus is hiring for electronics. 6 month contracts, £20 to £25 per hour.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

dr-baker wrote:If all the British coverage was geared towards Will Stevens (or Max Chilton prior to this year) instead, however...?

The problem isn't the bias. The problem I think is pushing an agenda and being unprofessional.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Point 1: should we ask Williams how well that went for them?

Point 2: we all know who with the fishy name was working with Mecachrome, don't we...

(Extra clue to point 2: fill in the Darkthrone lyric. "So ____, so cold... Transilvanian [sic] Hunger!")
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

#FreeGonzo
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

A shame. Ever since teams started to bringing back old successful partnerships to actual days obtaining histories of mediocrity and rejectness, I was hoping to verify if bringing back old mediocre and rejectful partnerships to actual days would pave the way to obtaining successful stories...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Instead, the manufacturers - working with the FIA - will produce a proposal by January 15 2016 that provides solutions to concerns over the power unit, which will focus on:

- Guarantee of the supply of Power Units to teams
- The need to lower the cost of Power Units to customer teams
- Simplification of the technical specification of the power units
- Improved noise

:facepalm:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Nuppiz wrote:
Instead, the manufacturers - working with the FIA - will produce a proposal by January 15 2016 that provides solutions to concerns over the power unit, which will focus on:
- Improved noise

"Improved noise"? I didn't realise that was still a thing. I thought that was all a bit 2014. Anyway, "improved" is a bit subjective isn't it? Maybe I like the quieter engines so for me an improvement would be even quieter cars.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:
- Improved noise

"Improved noise"? I didn't realise that was still a thing. I thought that was all a bit 2014. Anyway, "improved" is a bit subjective isn't it? Maybe I like the quieter engines so for me an improvement would be even quieter cars.

Formula E quiet, perhaps?

There again, the diesel-powered BTCC Seat Leons of about 10 years ago were rather quiet.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

As are the Audi Lmp1 cars
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Bobby Doorknobs

Nuppiz wrote:

- Guarantee of the supply of Power Units to teams
- The need to lower the cost of Power Units to customer teams
- Simplification of the technical specification of the power units
- Improved noise

I won't complain if the end result is something like this.
#FreeGonzo
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Sigh. Vive Le IndyCar from 2017 onwards, if they can get a half decent TV deal.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121996
Hamilton up for trying out a Nascar race sometime. Cue the predictable media barrage that HAMILTON'S LOST HIS MOTIVATION AND THAT'S WHY HE'S HAVING HIS WINS STOLEN FROM ROSBERG. I assume they'll harass him about his inevitable move to Nascar until he eventually does go in like 5 years.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Simtek wrote:I won't complain if the end result is something like this.

I LOVE IT
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

East Londoner wrote:

Again it just underlines what a daft decision it was to hand the responsibility of running the sport to the teams. They can't make a good decision if their life depended on it. You need a strong FIA, prepared to make the rules and stand by them too, in order to get anywhere. At the moment we have the complete opposite meanwhile the teams are wringing their hands and running around like headless chickens trying to find answers to questions that most F1 fans aren't actually asking.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Hope the new regs do lead to mass complaints about no overtaking - serves all the naysayers about DRS right!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AndreaModa wrote:
East Londoner wrote:

Again it just underlines what a daft decision it was to hand the responsibility of running the sport to the teams. They can't make a good decision if their life depended on it. You need a strong FIA, prepared to make the rules and stand by them too, in order to get anywhere. At the moment we have the complete opposite meanwhile the teams are wringing their hands and running around like headless chickens trying to find answers to questions that most F1 fans aren't actually asking.

Symonds(translated from Portuguese) wrote:Most of the proposals came from Red Bull. There will be a bigger diffuser, a larger front wing and I think it will be more attractive.

I believe enough is said...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

The thing is, the FIA could have used an independent board - perhaps comprising of people such as Ross Brawn and Gordon Murray - to define the regulations. Instead, they go asking the teams (who have interest in themselves and nothing more) to do it, in particular a team famed for griping when things don't go their way. Where's the common sense? Jean Todt's too busy running around looking after road safety, not that I'm entirely sure what he's actually doing in that respect either.

It's high time someone grabbed the FIA by the bollocks and started steering it into a direction where it's actually trying to make F1 a better environment, rather than letting teams come up with tape-over-the-cracks ideas under a wave of weak-willed management.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ataxia wrote:It's high time someone grabbed the FIA by the bollocks and started steering it into a direction where it's actually trying to make F1 a better environment, rather than letting teams come up with tape-over-the-cracks ideas under a wave of weak-willed management.

Bring back Max Mosley???
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dr-baker wrote:
Ataxia wrote:It's high time someone grabbed the FIA by the bollocks and started steering it into a direction where it's actually trying to make F1 a better environment, rather than letting teams come up with tape-over-the-cracks ideas under a wave of weak-willed management.

Bring back Max Mosley???

I thought of it but refrained myself being a critic of Mosley ways and days. No, bring in Vatanen or someone else that has, you know, not only guts but can be leader.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:The thing is, the FIA could have used an independent board - perhaps comprising of people such as Ross Brawn and Gordon Murray - to define the regulations. Instead, they go asking the teams (who have interest in themselves and nothing more) to do it, in particular a team famed for griping when things don't go their way. Where's the common sense? Jean Todt's too busy running around looking after road safety, not that I'm entirely sure what he's actually doing in that respect either.

It's high time someone grabbed the FIA by the bollocks and started steering it into a direction where it's actually trying to make F1 a better environment, rather than letting teams come up with tape-over-the-cracks ideas under a wave of weak-willed management.

The two words that always crop up are 'self' and 'interest' and they are the reason why positive moves are rarely made. Even the FIA is full of it.

I have no answers, it's just an observation.
Just For One Day...
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

FIA/FIFA - there's only one eFFFFFing letter between them.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

I am not surprised whatsoever, the whole 'greater good of the sport' is non-existent now. Still dark ages where there's no overtaking unless it rains is what we need. It is what made them free up the rules in 2009 to reset the board, hard to believe we need that less than ten years later but apparently we do,
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Stoffel Vandoorne scored another GP2 victory today. It's his 11th, putting him 1st in the all-time record books of the GP2 series. I'm impressed and want a Stoffel T-Shirt. Does anybody around here have a suggestion where I might find one?

It's too bad he won't get a McLaren drive next season in spite of all of this - or maybe it isn't, given Honda's performance this year?
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Yannick wrote:Stoffel Vandoorne scored another GP2 victory today. It's his 11th, putting him 1st in the all-time record books of the GP2 series. I'm impressed and want a Stoffel T-Shirt. Does anybody around here have a suggestion where I might find one?

It's too bad he won't get a McLaren drive next season in spite of all of this - or maybe it isn't, given Honda's performance this year?
Or Ron's/Fernando's comments about a sabbatical?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

A wild Stoffel appears!
But seriously, that would be awesome.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Bobby Doorknobs

Yannick wrote:I'm impressed and want a Stoffel T-Shirt. Does anybody around here have a suggestion where I might find one?

There's this McLaren shirt signed by Button, Magnussen and Vandoorne if that counts ;)
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

Spectoremg wrote:
Yannick wrote:Stoffel Vandoorne scored another GP2 victory today. It's his 11th, putting him 1st in the all-time record books of the GP2 series. I'm impressed and want a Stoffel T-Shirt. Does anybody around here have a suggestion where I might find one?

Or Ron's/Fernando's comments about a sabbatical?

It'd be a surprise - Alonso seemed a little caught out when they put the question to him after qualifying, and I wouldn't have thought that, even though he is frustrated, he'd want to walk out just yet.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Is it a daft idea though? Think about it...if Alonso takes a sabbatical in 2016, it means McLaren can replace him with Stoffel for 2016. Meanwhile Alonso tests 2016/future 2017 car into oblivion, as he is not actually competing in 2016. Button then finishes his contract at the end of 2016 and Alonso comes in to take his place.

It allows McLaren to appease Stoffel with an F1 seat without losing him to another team, while at the same time fufilling their contract obligations to Button. It allows Ron to save face regarding juggling drivers while giving McLaren and Alonso extra time to deliver a winning car and possibly an extra edge in preparing it, whilst giving Stoffel time to bed into F1.

Depending on the testing regs for non-competing drivers it could be a clever move. Then again, Alonso may yet do a Hakkinen...
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Bobby Doorknobs

Collieafc wrote:Is it a daft idea though? Think about it...if Alonso takes a sabbatical in 2016, it means McLaren can replace him with Stoffel for 2016. Meanwhile Alonso tests 2016/future 2017 car into oblivion, as he is not actually competing in 2016. Button then finishes his contract at the end of 2016 and Alonso comes in to take his place.

It allows McLaren to appease Stoffel with an F1 seat without losing him to another team, while at the same time fufilling their contract obligations to Button. It allows Ron to save face regarding juggling drivers while giving McLaren and Alonso extra time to deliver a winning car and possibly an extra edge in preparing it, whilst giving Stoffel time to bed into F1.

Depending on the testing regs for non-competing drivers it could be a clever move. Then again, Alonso may yet do a Hakkinen...

It doesn't matter whether the driver's competing or not, in-season testing is banned.
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Collieafc wrote:Is it a daft idea though? Think about it...if Alonso takes a sabbatical in 2016, it means McLaren can replace him with Stoffel for 2016. Meanwhile Alonso tests 2016/future 2017 car into oblivion, as he is not actually competing in 2016. Button then finishes his contract at the end of 2016 and Alonso comes in to take his place.

And even if Alonso does retire for good, there are plenty of drivers - such as those at Force India - who would be quite dependable in decent machinery. McLaren need to watch out, though, because that Ferrari seat is opening up in 2017 (unless they keep Kimi AGAIN), and they don't have Kevin as a third driver anymore.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Okay, as much as I know that we need every team on the grid, I really could not give a shite if McLaren goes bust now. Completely absurd to expect more from Magnussen.

I mean, for bathplugs sake, Red Bull didn't treat their junior drivers this bad.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Izzyeviel wrote:Hope the new regs do lead to mass complaints about no overtaking - serves all the naysayers about DRS right!

Back in my day!!
mario

Post by mario »

Salamander wrote:Okay, as much as I know that we need every team on the grid, I really could not give a shite if McLaren goes bust now. Completely absurd to expect more from Magnussen.

I mean, for bathplugs sake, Red Bull didn't treat their junior drivers this bad.

And we know that they've certainly had a crack at taking that award in the past...

I cannot help but feel that when Ron Dennis says that Magnussen had "very clear goals that he had to achieve, and he did not achieve those goals", the goals are more likely to have been fiscal than performance related given the rumours that Ron Dennis was pushing Magnussen to secure more financial backers in order to justify keeping him over Button.

To be brutally honest, McLaren's driver management has been a real mess in recent years and only seems to have got worse as Ron Dennis has exerted more influence over the team. Really, when did we last see a driver have anything positive to say about McLaren's driver management in recent years?

Kovalainen is still unhappy about how they treated him, even though it is several years since he last drove there, Hamilton seems to have become a pretty lonely and dejected figure within the team before he left, Perez has indicated that McLaren offered him no support and was split by infighting amongst the senior management and the total confusion about Button and Magnussen in 2014 was a total farce that just served to undermine the confidence of both drivers.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

East Londoner wrote:GO HOME RON DENNIS :x

He got a podium in the debut and scored the best result of the team. He fought hard with Button during all season and lost a lot of points due stewards. Like Verstappen jr, he had a pretty good first season.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Dj_bereta wrote:
East Londoner wrote:GO HOME RON DENNIS :x

He got a podium in the debut and scored the best result of the team. He fought hard with Button during all season and lost a lot of points due stewards. Like Verstappen jr, he had a pretty good first season.

What's worse is that he is seemingly out of a drive in F1 next season which is a crying shame given that he clearly deserves a place in it. I can only hope one of the teams come to their senses. The only reason why I am not enjoying McLaren's current predicament is because Button deserved better and Alonso is a too good driver to be going out like this (he's clearly been unlucky with his career path though).
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:Alonso is a too good driver to be going out like this (he's clearly been unlucky with his career path though).

I can see him being remembered for that as much as his success. Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso have all made surprising decisions regarding teams and Alonso is the only one who appears to have made things worse by doing so (so far, you never know).
Just For One Day...
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Not just his career path: finishing the 2007 Japanese Grand Prix in a points position or passing Petrov and Heidfeld at the 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix would have added a third title.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?