RIP Manor Racing (2010-2017)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: The Manor Marussia Thread

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

golic_2004 wrote:And if that's not good enough news, check who is offered a job. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wurz- ... -at-manor/

No! This will only serve to further his plans of world domination!
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Nice to see a reputable, trustworthy bloke like Ryan get a job at Manor. Puts a bit of confidence back into the organisation after Booth and Lowdon leaving.

But Wurz for team principal? I'm sure he's great but that would be a mistake in my mind. Bit like when they put Albers in charge at Caterham.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Mhh, I think that Manor needs experienced leadership right now, not a rookie team principle.
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:Nice to see a reputable, trustworthy bloke like Ryan get a job at Manor. Puts a bit of confidence back into the organisation after Booth and Lowdon leaving.

But Wurz for team principal? I'm sure he's great but that would be a mistake in my mind. Bit like when they put Albers in charge at Caterham.

Ryan is certainly a very experienced individual, so his selection is likely to inspire some confidence with external investors. Wurz, though, is a strange choice given that, as Fetzie points out, he has no prior experience in that type of role, even if he has had some experience in managerial roles in a commercial environment. We will have to see how he handles the role, but it comes across as a risky nomination given the circumstances the team is in.

The only way it makes sense is if Wurz is being used as a stop gap figure to hold the team together whilst negotiations are under way between Fitzpatrick and Hellmund - if the deal were to go through, I expect that Hellmund would seek to place his own first choice into the team principle role and sideline Wurz.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
flattyre

Post by flattyre »

Get this! Stevens aiming for podium finish to 2015.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3330 ... h-to-2015/

(I can't be the only one who misread that headline...) :lol:
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

His teammate would still be in front of him I bet :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

flattyre wrote:Get this! Stevens aiming for podium finish to 2015.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3330 ... h-to-2015/

(I can't be the only one who misread that headline...) :lol:

Well, that really would be a positive end to the season if that were to happen. And we would all be like :dance: afterwards. Especially if it were a double Virgin Manor podium as Rob Dylan seems to be implying...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AndreaModa wrote:Nice to see a reputable, trustworthy bloke like Ryan get a job at Manor. Puts a bit of confidence back into the organisation after Booth and Lowdon leaving.

Or Lauda in charge of JagRac?

I think, on balance, Ryan is a good choice, despite what happened with Hamilton. I mean, if Pat Symonds can get a job in F1.....
Just For One Day...
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Rossi had nearly given up his hopes for F1 and almost took a Dale Coyne Indycar seat. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121851 I think that was a smart move not to give up on your dreams.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

The Beeb are reporting that Wurz has turned the Manor job now. Maybe for the best.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I was speaking to my dad for 5/10 minutes this morning about the possibility of Wurz leading Manor, and then we saw this when we turned on the telly. As you say, it's probably for the best, but on the other hand I'd love to see Wurz hang around in some kind of "responsible" role in a team. He's always come across as one of the nicer ones in my eyes :)
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:I was speaking to my dad for 5/10 minutes this morning about the possibility of Wurz leading Manor, and then we saw this when we turned on the telly. As you say, it's probably for the best, but on the other hand I'd love to see Wurz hang around in some kind of "responsible" role in a team. He's always come across as one of the nicer ones in my eyes :)

It'll only happen if the two race drivers at the team race with the numbers 10 and 49... :roll: :facepalm:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:I was speaking to my dad for 5/10 minutes this morning about the possibility of Wurz leading Manor, and then we saw this when we turned on the telly. As you say, it's probably for the best, but on the other hand I'd love to see Wurz hang around in some kind of "responsible" role in a team. He's always come across as one of the nicer ones in my eyes :)

It'll only happen if the two race drivers at the team race with the numbers 10 and 49... :roll: :facepalm:

So for the short term it would have to be Kobayashi and... some rookie. I like the sound of that lineup.
#FreeGonzo
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

#BringBackColinKolles

I know this might belong in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread but honestly - Colin has proven himself to do well with subpar machinery, and given that Manor's performance might improve significantly for 2016, I'd love to see him be in charge of a respectable outfit.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Simtek wrote:So for the short term it would have to be Kobayashi...

I miss Kobayashi... :(
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:
Simtek wrote:So for the short term it would have to be Kobayashi...

I miss Kobayashi... :(

Hi DPT, long time no bicker.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Still holding out for Ferrari to kick out Raikkonen at the end of the year to get him out of his contract, and put Kobayashi into the Ferrari seat as a stop-gap replacement, and for pigs to fly.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Rob Dylan wrote:Still holding out for Ferrari to kick out Raikkonen at the end of the year to get him out of his contract, and put Kobayashi into the Ferrari seat as a stop-gap replacement, and for pigs to fly.

I don't think he's still a Ferrari driver. Is he? He went back to Japan which will only worsen his odds.

CoopsII wrote:Hi DPT, long time no bicker.

Hello to you too CoopsII! :)
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

DanielPT wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Still holding out for Ferrari to kick out Raikkonen at the end of the year to get him out of his contract, and put Kobayashi into the Ferrari seat as a stop-gap replacement, and for pigs to fly.

I don't think he's still a Ferrari driver. Is he? He went back to Japan which will only worsen his odds.)

Packing his bags for Caterham in 2014 ended his association with Ferrari (they gave him a them-or-us scenario, he picked backmarker F1 race driver over frontrunner F1 test driver + GT programme).
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

A gig is a gig is a gig, as they say. Alguersuari went wrong in that he didn't pick the backmarker team over some "supporting" nowhere role. I'll never be in Kamui's position, but I'd take the race seat over the nowhere role any day.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

The Ferrari GT drive was at least a stable paycheck in a competitive ride. Caterham offered neither.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Kobayashi is a Toyota WEC reserve driver at the moment, and with Wurz retiring, I wouldn't be surprised if he raced in WEC full-time next year.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Manor Marussia is going to be changing its name for next season. Dropping the Marussia bit is a given, but with Booth and Lowden gone I think the Manor name is probably on the way out too.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Backmarker wrote:Manor Marussia is going to be changing its name for next season. Dropping the Marussia bit is a given, but with Booth and Lowden gone I think the Manor name is probably on the way out too.

Well, if that's the case I think they should call the team Lotus or something. We had two Lotus teams on the grid and apparently we will have none next year. The Lotus withdrawal symptoms will be hard to take. On the other hand they can be called Brabham and start a new trend of Brabham teams filing lawsuits to each other. Delightful.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

"We will call ourselves Forza Rossa"
Yeaaaa boiiii
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Backmarker wrote:Manor Marussia is going to be changing its name for next season. Dropping the Marussia bit is a given, but with Booth and Lowden gone I think the Manor name is probably on the way out too.

For continuity's sake I'd like to see the team stick with Manor, but I think you're right there.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

So they got Shazam as an sponsor...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:So they got Shazam as an sponsor...

*Official 2016 music partner please.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
tumbano

Post by tumbano »

golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

tumbano wrote:Image

Brilliant :lol:
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

No more news on Rio, but I noticed this amusing little anecdote in an interview with John Booth which was conducted by Autosport after Manor were confirmed as one of the three original new teams for the 2010 season, midway through 2009:

Autosport wrote:Q. Do you have any potential drivers in the pipeline?
JB: "It's too early to talk about drivers, but it's unfortunate that Roberto [Merhi] isn't a year on from where he is because I have every faith he will be the real article."

Only took him an extra five years John...!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

AndreaModa wrote:No more news on Rio, but I noticed this amusing little anecdote in an interview with John Booth which was conducted by Autosport after Manor were confirmed as one of the three original new teams for the 2010 season, midway through 2009:

JB: "It's too early to talk about drivers, but it's unfortunate that Roberto [Merhi] isn't a year on from where he is because I have every faith he will be the real article."

Maybe Luiz Razia will finally get his F1 seat.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

AndreaModa wrote:No more news on Rio, but I noticed this amusing little anecdote in an interview with John Booth which was conducted by Autosport after Manor were confirmed as one of the three original new teams for the 2010 season, midway through 2009:

Speaking of 2010 and Rio, Wasn't he driving for Manor's GP3 team that year? Then again Manor must be up there with Carlin and ART/ASM in terms of F1 drivers they've run at some point.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I'm not sure what year it was, but yeah, he did race for them in the past.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

AndreaModa wrote:I'm not sure what year it was, but yeah, he did race for them in the past.

Rio raced for Manor in GP3 on 2010 and 2011, then moved to GP2 with Carlin affiliated with Marussia in 2012. Reports from here that the crews in Carlin often screwed Rio's setup which I think it's actually possible. Gelael also reported he's not comfortable with Carlin's crews this year but I don't know is that in FR3.5 too or just GP2.
Viva la Campos! wut
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

AxelP800 wrote:Reports from here that the crews in Carlin often screwed Rio's setup which I think it's actually possible. Gelael also reported he's not comfortable with Carlin's crews this year but I don't know is that in FR3.5 too or just GP2.

Cool story bro.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

AndreaModa wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:Reports from here that the crews in Carlin often screwed Rio's setup which I think it's actually possible. Gelael also reported he's not comfortable with Carlin's crews this year but I don't know is that in FR3.5 too or just GP2.

Cool story bro.

It is certainly interesting. If this is the case it's also possible they made a mess of Chilton's setups. The fact that he was able to drive around them and win two feature races only serves to strengthen the case for his genuine Talent.
#FreeGonzo
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Simtek wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:

Cool story bro.

It is certainly interesting. If this is the case it's also possible they made a mess of Chilton's setups. The fact that he was able to drive around them and win two feature races only serves to strengthen the case for his genuine Talent.

Not quite. Chilton had senior crews, Rio newbie (rookie? freshperson?) crews. These crews often didn't communicate with each other. The fact Rio managed to get a pole with screwed setups means he is a rainmaster. I won't complain for the event on the race tho.... pretty rookie
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Backmarker wrote:

Maybe Luiz Razia will finally get his F1 seat.

That bloke who won Auto GP is probably due a return to F1 now, a-la Glock and Grosjean. What's his name? Ah, yes, Antônio Pizzonia.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Biscione wrote:That bloke who won Auto GP is probably due a return to F1 now, a-la Glock and Grosjean. What's his name? Ah, yes, Antônio Pizzonia.

He would be challenging Luca Badoer and Jan Lammers for their record now, wouldn't he? Let's do it!
MCard LOLA