2015 Mexican Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Rob Dylan

2015 Mexican Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Rob Dylan »

There appears to be some form of motor race happening in Mexico City this weekend.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dr-baker

Re: 2015 Mexican Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:There appears to be some form of motor race happening in Mexico City this weekend.

Tell me more. Does it feature Nigel Mansell coming out of retirement?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

¿Donde esta mi tequila?

So if Sergio Pérez wants to make sure his present to Kimi Räikkönen for handing him a podium on a silver plate is authentic, he should make sure it was distilled from 100% fermented blue agave, in the state of Jalisco. Or, possibly, the one just to the east (Guanajuato), but Jalisco is the place to go for. There are just about as many rules governing the production, description and sale of tequila as there are single malt Scotch whisky. So think about that next time you're handed a pile of salt and a slice of lime!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

McLaren are looking more like Andrea Moda by the day. Sending Alonso out on a bone dry track on inters. :badoer:
Message me on Discord.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Apparently Jos Verstappen was fastest in FP1.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

The moment Jolyon Palmer set the fastest time must be one of the highlights this season! 8-)
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Way to follow up your FP1 efforts, Jos!
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

good_Ralf wrote:Way to follow up your FP1 efforts, Jos!

yeah that was a bit Maldondo-esque
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

WeirdKerr wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Way to follow up your FP1 efforts, Jos!

yeah that was a bit Maldondo-esque

Rossi at Singapore, perhaps.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

It'd be great if Our Lew turned up for Qualifying today, looked about and then said "You know what? I can't be arsed now I've won. Im off home, see you next season lads"
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Nürburgring 24-Hour size grid penalties are back: 70 places for Button.
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

Simtek wrote:Nürburgring 24-Hour size grid penalties are back: 70 places for Button.

Why can't tracks paint 90 places for people to start from?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Simtek wrote:Nürburgring 24-Hour size grid penalties are back: 70 places for Button.

Why can't tracks paint 90 places for people to start from?

Or just measure out 90 grid positions from pole and then tell the driver "you start here".
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I haven't paid any attention to this circuit since GP moved out. I remember it being wide open spaces. It seems very claustrophobic now and the 'baseball' section has ruined the flow. RIP the Peratelda.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Even ignoring the new stadium section (which I actually do like), I barely recognise it from when it was there in the late 80s/early 90s!!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

James1978 wrote:Even ignoring the new stadium section (which I actually do like), I barely recognise it from when it was there in the late 80s/early 90s!!

What? You're implying that a public space can drastically change its appearance in 22 years? Come on, now, be sensible ;)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Long time no say, but a 70 place grid penalty has got just what a Reject Of the Race nominee is made of. Not to the driver receiving it, but to the penalty itself.

Here's wishing everybody a good and safe race.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Watching Sky's Mansell - Hamilton interview...

You know how Mansell used to look younger without the moustache? These days, he weirdly now looks younger *with* it.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

That was a very strange intro to the Mexican anthem... or does it always sound like that?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

That's a good question Sebastian - where was Ricciardo supposed to go? You certainly didn't give him any options.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Alonso admitting McLaren sent him out as a start-and-parker. Yes, you heard that correctly. A McLaren did a start and park...

Seriously, screw McLaren. :facepalm:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Odd that Sky Sports 1, simulcasting the race, is several seconds ahead of the main F1 channel.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Give it up, Raikkonen. :facepalm:

EDIT: Oh shut the hell up Crofty you blithering idiot.
Everything's great.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Finland :lol:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Oh Kimi...... :facepalm:
Oh Sebastian :facepalm:
Williams :D
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Oops! A Finn-off!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

It's a shame WWE held their Hell in a Cell PPV a week ago, because Bottas vs Raikkonen would have been an ideal feud to blow off in the Cell. :D
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I can't remember for the life of me the last Ferrari double-DNF, Australia 2009?
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Ferrari in Mexico :facepalm:
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

good_Ralf wrote:I can't remember for the life of me the last Ferrari double-DNF, Australia 2009?

Australia 2006 was the last time neither car was classified (Raikkonen was classified in 2009).
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

Good race. Probably in the lower half of races this year, but still good.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Nice to see Rosberg get a win, although I must confess I was hoping he and Hamilton would get into a tangle towards the end to allow Bottas to notch up a Williams victory!

Let's hope Rosberg can now have a good end to the season and take some momentum and morale into next year, to make more of a fight for the championship.
mario

Post by mario »

Paul Hayes wrote:Nice to see Rosberg get a win, although I must confess I was hoping he and Hamilton would get into a tangle towards the end to allow Bottas to notch up a Williams victory!

Let's hope Rosberg can now have a good end to the season and take some momentum and morale into next year, to make more of a fight for the championship.

In some ways, it was about time that Rosberg finally delivered - he has been very poor at using the strategic advantage of starting on pole to his advantage. It was pointed out that, before this race, out of the last ten times where he started on pole and did not have a DNF or major reliability issue, he has only managed to turn two of those poles into race victories - even then, he was perhaps a little lucky that his error after the restart didn't cost him more (he was perhaps a little lucky that Hamilton had run wide on the previous lap and lost a bit of ground).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

REALLY wish that, for some more Merc fireworks, that Hamilton hadn't come in for that 2nd pitstop, would loved to have seen what ensued after, though I'm guessing once the Vettel-induced safety car came, Rosberg would have been able to pass easily with much never tyres, though it also could have been a repeat of Bahrain 2014.....
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Kind of felt it was dog how Brundle and Crofty were like "Has Pastor crashed yet...no."

Like guys be professional. Leave that crap to forums and social media.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Aguaman wrote:Kind of felt it was dog how Brundle and Crofty were like "Has Pastor crashed yet...no."

I think they stopped attempting to be professional months ago.
Everything's great.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Reflecting on the race, I was frustrated with the Hamilton tyre issue. Boils down to the whole prevalence of data and team radio in general, but it just made me think, "who is actually doing the racing here?"

I'd love to see the drivers have to take the initiative a bit more and have the responsibility of deciding if they want to pit and when. Being told by the team to pit for questionable reasons just takes the fun out of it all doesn't it?

I'm not saying for a moment that Hamilton could have challenged for victory had he not pitted. As he pointed out in a post race interview, with the safety car he would have been seriously vulnerable to Nico who would have been on fresher tyres.

But with F1 being F1 the teams will always find a way to suck some more of the fun out of things!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Aguaman wrote:Kind of felt it was dog how Brundle and Crofty were like "Has Pastor crashed yet...no."

That wasn't as bad as Ted Kravitz saying in his 'Notebook' how Pastor had just had 'another average race' and hadn't scored points for some time. Whereas he'd scored in the previous 3 races I believe?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Barbazza wrote:

That wasn't as bad as Ted Kravitz saying in his 'Notebook' how Pastor had just had 'another average race' and hadn't scored points for some time. Whereas he'd scored in the previous 3 races I believe?

In the last four races Maldonado has scored 14 points to Grosjean's 7. While Austin was not really his fault (hit from behind, broken floor & brake cooling ducts), he threw the car in the fence at Sochi.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Barbazza wrote:

Yeah he's only 19 points behind Grosjean in the championship. It just seems that they really push home that Pastor is terrible cliche.