The Junior Series Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Rabbi Gordon

Re: The Junior Series Thread

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

We shouldn't badmouth Stroll.
Not because he is better or not because he is not at fault for driving like an idiot, but because he'll just come here and have his father buy this site and all of us.

Menezes's crash was a lot like Marco Campos's wreck. Luckily it ended MUCH better.
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

What makes Stroll's accident stand out is that it's pretty much a carbon copy of what he did at Monza - i.e. squeezing other drivers out onto the grass. It's like he has no spatial awareness or anything. Nuts!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

And this weekend, Euro F3 is racing at.. Norisring. Of all places. Oh boy. We better be ready for what can be a catastrophical weekend in terms of damage for teams.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I am scared to watch F3. Someone is going to have to die before the drastic action required is taken. And it may happen soon, given events so far this season.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Biscione wrote:I am scared to watch F3. Someone is going to have to die before the drastic action required is taken. And it may happen soon, given events so far this season.

Well, most of these drivers are complete rookies. The disappearence of the national F3 scene has made that we have over 30+ cars field, with most drivers not beeing experienced enough to drive these cars, since most of them jumped straight from F4 to Euro F3.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Miguel98 wrote:
Biscione wrote:I am scared to watch F3. Someone is going to have to die before the drastic action required is taken. And it may happen soon, given events so far this season.

Well, most of these drivers are complete rookies. The disappearence of the national F3 scene has made that we have over 30+ cars field, with most drivers not beeing experienced enough to drive these cars, since most of them jumped straight from F4 to Euro F3.

That has been the legacy of Gerhard Berger when he was running the future of the junior series. But we cannot tell him to go home because he already has. Hmm.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

And to make matters worse at the Norisring...

mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:

That has been the legacy of Gerhard Berger when he was running the future of the junior series. But we cannot tell him to go home because he already has. Hmm.

Which, in some ways, perhaps makes it somewhat hypocritical for him to then complain about the poor standards of driving in Formula 3 if, as a consequence of his actions (if not intentionally) he helped contribute to the problem in the first place.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

In more interesting news, Marco Sorensen is leaving GP2 to focus on his GT commitments. His replacement? Johnny Cecotto Jr.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Aaaaaand Canamasas is back in GP2 for Silverstone, this time driving for Lelzarus. It's a match made in heaven (or the barriers at Stowe corner, more likely). :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

East Londoner wrote:Aaaaaand Canamasas is back in GP2 for Silverstone, this time driving for Lelzarus. It's a match made in heaven (or the barriers at Stowe corner, more likely). :P

As if it wasn't before. Remember Singapore 2012 when he drove for Lazarus?
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Awesome! He's been fairly great in 2.0, so I expect Louis to do a good, solid job in Austria in 3.5. :D

Samster

Post by Samster »

Miguel98 wrote:

Awesome! He's been fairly great in 2.0, so I expect Louis to do a good, solid job in Austria in 3.5. :D

Plus he'll get to race against his cousin from the reject legend world, Roy Nissany. :D
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Big crash at the end of the Formula Renault 3.5 race at A1 Ring. Mehri slowed down into the finish line, and Latifi smashed into the back of him.

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Miguel98 wrote:Big crash at the end of the Formula Renault 3.5 race at A1 Ring. Mehri slowed down into the finish line, and Latifi smashed into the back of him.

Indeed. A big crash.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Here is as far I can tell the complete list of who either has or is legible for a Super License. It took me about an hour to do. If you know of any drivers that qualify and I have missed let me know.
Message me on Discord.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Merhi had crossed the finish line. You can see chequered flag being waved "above" Speedweek.com sign.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Renault 3.5 used to be a bit pedestrian at times, but not any more; some pretty iffy driving ; van Buuren, Merhi, as well as a number of other scrapes.
I'm not sure I was really convinced by Merhi's explanation- and hearing from a driver that they are routinely told not to slow down after the flag seems to undermine his reasoning.
Meanwhile at Zandvoort Stroll wipes out de Clerc off the line by simply edging across on him until there was no room anymore. I really thought Lance was going to be sanctioned for that.
F3 at Zandvoort was just so many safety cars- like an Indycar race, and did you see the bit where on one SC restart the safety car had left the track, but another course vehicle was still on the track as the pack were re-starting? That was a bit scary for a moment-fortunately Rosenquist spotted it and held them all slow

Meanwhile at the 'quality' end - I was at Silverstone and the GP2 was fantastic. And I must say to the doubters that Mr S Canamasas passed 2 cars around the outside of Luffield on lap 1 in one race and was the fastest thing on track in race 2 by over half a second. Safe and quick.And aggressive.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

One thing I took away from this is how good Della Posta (the comm) seems to be. So many times recently commentators miss out on little things that aren't taking up at least half the frame. But Gilles saw the accident coming before either of the drivers involved did.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120093

Quite excited to see how it'll look next year - and there was a mention of GP2 becoming FIA's F2 category too.
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Reject_Dom wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120093

Quite excited to see how it'll look next year - and there was a mention of GP2 becoming FIA's F2 category too.

Thus begins the slow death of Formula Renault 3.5. Like when Coloni took control of Euro Formula 3000.
The Iceman Waiteth
mario

Post by mario »

Backmarker wrote:
Reject_Dom wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120093

Thus begins the slow death of Formula Renault 3.5. Like when Coloni took control of Euro Formula 3000.

What I find interesting is that Renault are only withdrawing from the top tier series though, because Renault are going to continue supporting the 2.0 Eurocup series.

That Autosport article does mention possible financial pressures, and it is true that Ghosn has come under a bit of pressure given that Renault's sales are not as strong as had been expected - however, I would have thought that, given the top tier 3.5 series is relatively well known and, due to price cost caps, the cost of that series is relatively low compared to series such as GP2, that axing the 3.5 series would probably not save that much money for Renault overall.
Furthermore, it seems odd to talk about financial pressures when Renault have just spent a fair amount of money on creating the RS.01 Trophy series, so I'm wondering what else might be behind the decision.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Shiiiiit... Massive crash at Blanchimont for De Jong. Very similar to Burti in 2001. :/

EDIT: MARKELOV MADNESS ON THE PODIUM :D

Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

And that was the single most retarded VSC ever. :facepalm:

Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Woohoo, very nice! :D

golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Considering his talent, I wouldn't be surprised if Jann outshines Julian Leal.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

While Roberto Merhi will of course be racing at Monza this weekend, his substitute driver at Silverstone the same weekend will be none other than BTCC reject Will Bratt.
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

I've found the next Johnny Dumfries: Ferdinand Habsburg

He was involved in this crash in Formula Renault 2. http://www.motorsport.com/frenault/video/main-gallery/huge-airborne-crash-eurocup-formula-renault-2-0-silverstone
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Glad everyone is okay. It was a nasty crash.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

So, by finishing 2nd in the GP3 sprint race, Ocon has now 7 consecutive second places.

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Mitch Evans was the star of GP2, he was absolutely fantastic all weekend. Sirotkin's charge in the sprint was phenomenal too, whilst Ghiotto did a Ghiotto Special in the GP3 sprint. Your move, F1.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Yes Ghiotto was super impressive. He has put that WSR 3.5 mediocrity well behind him.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

The US is the latest country to introduce an F4 series: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120857
#FreeGonzo
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

It seems meanwhile that Johnny Ceccoto's career is over by lack of funding. :(

https://twitter.com/JCecotto/status/644617888364666880

Very sad. Cecotto improved a lot last year in GP2, and I expected him to get a gig in IndyCar or Indy Lights. Very sad day.

Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Oliver Rowland won Formula Renault 3.5 at the weekend. Hard to see him ever stepping up to Formula One, as he only manages a career at the moment thanks to the Racing Steps Foundation, who won't fund a Formula One seat.
The Iceman Waiteth
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Backmarker wrote:Oliver Rowland won Formula Renault 3.5 at the weekend. Hard to see him ever stepping up to Formula One, as he only manages a career at the moment thanks to the Racing Steps Foundation, who won't fund a Formula One seat.

It's a shame, 'cause he has a fair share of talent. Hope he can find some good sponsors...
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

novitopoli wrote:
Backmarker wrote:Oliver Rowland won Formula Renault 3.5 at the weekend. Hard to see him ever stepping up to Formula One, as he only manages a career at the moment thanks to the Racing Steps Foundation, who won't fund a Formula One seat.

It's a shame, 'cause he has a fair share of talent. Hope he can find some good sponsors...

Maybe Indycar or Formula E could be in the near future if not F1, if he's looking to continue in open wheel.