Reject of the Race: Singapore

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
golic_2004

Reject of the Race: Singapore

Post by golic_2004 »

That guy walking the track! WHAT IS HE DOING? Neil Horan, anybody?
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
went

Re: Reject of the Race: Singapore

Post by went »

^ That. A million times. How is that even possible?? What's up with security? What's wrong with organisation?
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

This lunacy is a no brainer as to who the ROTR is. What an idiot.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
went

Post by went »

Bonus points for Rossi for not unlapping himself.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Wow will do an analysis in a minute but... Toro Rosso telling their drivers to switch positions??? They have put a bid in haven't they!!!
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Random dude on track easily. You could blame security but who the heck thinks like that?
mario

Post by mario »

golic_2004 wrote:That guy walking the track! WHAT IS HE DOING? Neil Horan, anybody?

The most surreal part was the fact that he was walking down the side of the track in an incredibly casual manner, as if he was simply walking down to the shops. It also begs the question of how he was able to then simply hop through the fences and escape - because that also implies that there are gaps in the fencing too, which is a bit worrying from the point of view of containing debris.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Felipe Massa - Your team didn't mean "undercut" literally, you know...

Stewards - Hulk gets a penalty for that, and he isn't even allowed to explain his side of the story? Jesus wept. :|

Jenson Button - I bet he's really, really happy he got to stay at McLaren at the end of last year.

But ROTR has to go to:

The track invader and the organisers - The track invader would be a slam dunk ROTR anyway, but I've heard that he managed to escape and return into the crowd undetected. Terrible effort by the organisers.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

East Londoner wrote:The track invader and the organisers - The track invader would be a slam dunk ROTR anyway, but I've heard that he managed to escape and return into the crowd undetected. Terrible effort by the organisers.

What he said.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

rachel1990 wrote:Wow will do an analysis in a minute but... Toro Rosso telling their drivers to switch positions??? They have put a bid in haven't they!!!

I think they were doing a Red Bull and were planning to let Sainz have a go at Perez, if he couldn't get past, then he in turn would be asked to let Verstappen back through to make it fair.

The man on track deserves to win but as for alternates:

McLaren: Alonso has another car problem, and literally one minute after Button says something like "Let's go out there and get some points!", he bins it against the back of Maldonado.

Lotus drivers' luck: The luckless Maldonado suffers car damage and Grosjean is put on a shonky strategy, so even though both cars finish (for only the 2nd time all year!), they score no points again.

Race stewards: The Massa/Hulkenberg collision was just a racing incident, neither driver deserved a penalty, plus they let Verstappen unlap himself but not the Marussias..., who then held up everyone and summing up why the 'unlapping behind the SC' rule exists. #illuminaticonfirmed
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

1. Stewards
2. Kvyat's luck with the SC's
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

good_Ralf wrote:... plus they let Verstappen unlap himself but not the Marussias..., who then held up everyone and summing up why the 'unlapping behind the SC' rule exists. #illuminaticonfirmed

They did let the Marussias unlap themselves, but Rossi wasn't getting on with it.
Everything's great.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

How the .... does a spectator

1. Get past the security and the track stewards
2. Get on the track
3. Jog 100 metres
4. Get off the track
5. Get past the security and the track stewards
6. Disappear
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Salamander wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:... plus they let Verstappen unlap himself but not the Marussias..., who then held up everyone and summing up why the 'unlapping behind the SC' rule exists. #illuminaticonfirmed

They did let the Marussias unlap themselves, but Rossi wasn't getting on with it.

Ah, I read at some point that the Marussias were not permitted to unlap themselves, during the first safety car. :roll:
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

I'll add Keith from F1 Fanatic for blaming Pastor when Button ran into him.

Race stewards for penalty to Hulkenberg without hearing from both drivers. Though he was going to get one anyways
tBone

Post by tBone »

good_Ralf wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Ah, I read at some point that the Marussias were not permitted to unlap themselves, during the first safety car. :roll:

Maybe because they were already at the back of the field, even being lapped? I'm not sure about that, though.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

To anyone voting Rossi, the reason he didn't unlap himself was because Manor were having problems with their radio, hence they couldn't give him the instruction to overtake the safety car.

As for my nominations, well it's been covered. He had the look of a disturbed man, I almost feel sorry for him...
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

Fetzie wrote:How the .... does a spectator

1. Get past the security and the track stewards
2. Get on the track
3. Jog 100 metres
4. Get off the track
5. Get past the security and the track stewards
6. Disappear

He didn't even seem to be jogging along the track - he seemed to be walking at a fairly languid pace, as if he didn't expect anybody to catch him at all.

All in all, that was a pretty shocking lapse in security - at least when we have seen other instances where people have invaded the track, they have been able to catch the individuals before they could cause any harm to anybody (including themselves).

good_Ralf wrote:
Salamander wrote:

What happened was that they issued the instruction to Rossi and Stevens to unlap themselves but, as Simtek notes, it seems that Rossi's radio had failed by that point. It therefore seems that race control took the decision to cancel that instruction and ordered them to hold position, reasoning that it would be easier to restart the race without letting them unlap themselves.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

I'd like to nominate Sky for their pre-race hype of Hamilton matching Senna's win count, only for it to be overshadowed by Vettel, um, overtaking it.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Yes! That, and their complete inability to talk about the winning team when Ferrari win a race. Last time, it was Mercedes blah blah blah and this time, bloody Christian Horner on screen straight away!

Come on guys, at least TRY to prove that you don't love Mercedes and Red Bull so much.
tBone

Post by tBone »

Of course, the track pedestrian deserves it. However, I think some others deserve to be mentioned.

Toro Rosso for the confusing situation with the team orders. Franz Tost has actually said Verstappen was right for not listening...

Felipe Massa for running into Hülkenberg.

The stewards for punishing Hülkenberg because Massa ran into him.

Mercedes for a very disappointing week-end.

McLaren for another step to being über-ROTR.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

1. Lunatic person. You want to die?
2. Toro Rosso radio. Wat???
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Lotus strategists: In the last year, staying in the track in the last safety car period didn't work and they repeat the mistake in this year. Maldonado finished only 0,2s behind Ericsson, pitting for new tyres in the last laps. More three or four laps and Maldonado had catch Nasr for sure.

They threw away good points.

Special mentions:

Brazilian coverage main commentator Galvão Bueno: Criticized the track saying there are no overtaking places and the organizes should follow the example of Valencia street circuit :lol: , because there is a straight for overtakes in the Spanish track (just remember: he praises Monaco). Also, he made a rant against Marussia again, saying the team isn't a Formula 1 team and is just here for fill the grid and asked for F1 to strict the rules in order to prevent teams like Marussia of racing. Finally, after listening what Hulkenberg said after the crash, he said "o choro é livre". This a common Brazilian slang for a person who is just whining about something.

The lol guy in the track: Helped Lotus and Mclaren in losing more points.

Mclaren: Double DNF in a race that they could had scored points.

Stewards: Hulkenberg didn't deserved the grid penalty.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
LolLola

Post by LolLola »

Dj_bereta wrote:Stewards: Hulkenberg didn't deserved the grid penalty.

No he does. Okay he maybe won Le Mans but he should give room to Massa. Clearly Massa is there and he just cut the room. Disgrace.

ROTR to the person on the track. Best lol of pun of irony of sarcasm.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

LolLola wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:Stewards: Hulkenberg didn't deserved the grid penalty.

No he does. Okay he maybe won Le Mans but he should give room to Massa. Clearly Massa is there and he just cut the room. Disgrace.

What you have to remember is that you can't really see out of the side of an F1 car with all the safety gear and such. Hulkenberg did not have much of an idea of where Massa was until he hit him. In all honesty, Massa poking his nose in there made no sense because he'd just pitted - on the cold tyres, Hulkenberg would've breezed past him easily down Raffles Boulevard.
Everything's great.
IceG

Post by IceG »

Hulkenberg stated that he knew Massa was there in a Sky interview...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

East Londoner wrote:The track invader and the organisers - The track invader would be a slam dunk ROTR anyway, but I've heard that he managed to escape and return into the crowd undetected. Terrible effort by the organisers.

Open and shut ROTR. I'm doubly astounded that someone can break into a live major sporting event and sneak out without anyone involved noticing. Quite an alarming thought.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Random Lunatic on the track (and its not Pastor Maldonado for once)
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Biscione wrote:

Open and shut ROTR. I'm doubly astounded that someone can break into a live major sporting event and sneak out without anyone involved noticing. Quite an alarming thought.

Ok, now what about Hungary, Belgium and Italy? :P
#FreeGonzo
Zergon

Post by Zergon »

Biscione wrote:

I normally like to keep this between teams and drivers but even I have to agree that this deserves ROTR (both the guy and the organisers), Someone gettting into the track I could still understand, sure it shouldn´t happen and is a bad mistake but you usually expect people to have some sense so it can be quite surprising when someone decides to do something as stupid as that. However, how an earth that guy managed to get away without no-one noticing?

EDIT: According to www.motorsport.com, the guy has been arrested by local police so guess he didn´t get away after all.

Honorable mentions go to Hulkenberg for throwing poinst away and McLaren for having douple retirement because of technical problems on one of the only races where they actually could (and should) have scored some points.
Last edited by Zergon on 20 Sep 2015, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

IceG wrote:Hulkenberg stated that he knew Massa was there in a Sky interview...

He said he knew he exited the pits but not exactly where he was, which makes sense - if he knew Massa was right alongside him, why would he have turned across like that?
Everything's great.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Salamander wrote:

He said he knew he exited the pits but not exactly where he was, which makes sense - if he knew Massa was right alongside him, why would he have turned across like that?

If he knew he exited the pit, but don't know, why not run wide a bit? Losing few seconds for safety is not expensive
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

AxelP800 wrote:
Salamander wrote:

If he knew he exited the pit, but don't know, why not run wide a bit? Losing few seconds for safety is not expensive

Why did Massa not back off? He could see Hulkenberg the whole time and knew he was ahead.
Everything's great.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AxelP800 wrote:If he knew he exited the pit, but don't know, why not run wide a bit? Losing few seconds for safety is not expensive

Because this approach is the antithesis of the entire sport. Hulkenberg is not doing his job if he runs wide on purpose for a driver he's not even sure is next to him or not.

Simtek wrote:Ok, now what about Hungary, Belgium and Italy? :P

Does anyone really care? Whatever I said at the time, make it "official", I guess. So Italy goes to the FIA Technical Delegates for making a complete hash of their tyre pressure testing procedure and putting Mercedes through the ringer for nothing, Belgium goes to Williams for that bizarre tyre mix-up on top of their generally woeful performance, and Hungary is...err...a joint award for both Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg; their cars were clearly fast enough to win and yet unforced errors by both drivers derailed their afternoons entirely.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Hulkenberg crash remind me about the 2008 Japanese Grand Prix, when Bourdais was exiting the pits and come together with Massa in turn 1 and both crashed (Massa in the Hulk's place). The stewards punished the Frenchman and he lost valuable points (he finished ahead of Vettel in that race).
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
girry

Post by girry »

Event security is the obvious call here, but HM:s to Sky, which I had to revert to for this weekend, for how much of their broadcast they concentrate on Mercedes and McLaren - and to Hülkenberg after he said he knew Massa was there. I'm quite baffled as to how anybody would blame Massa for not predicting Hülkenberg would simply turn into him. Very uncharacteristic of the German.

Oh, and a third mention to Brundle for vocally praising how Sainz barged off Grosjean, and then going on to advocate the playstation generation driving style "they're in combat" "this is the advantage of asphalt runoff areas, there would have been one car less in the race if there was gravel there"....yeah, have at it kids. Lance Stroll style.
when you're dead people start listening
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

And a HM to Nigel Mansell, for pointing out yesterday evening on Twitter how Mercedes was "sandbagging" during qualifying, just to find out after some minutes he was actually watching a repeat.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

The guy walking the track. For better pictures? That's ROTR material..
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
mario

Post by mario »

Salamander wrote:Why did Massa not back off? He could see Hulkenberg the whole time and knew he was ahead.

To be fair to Massa, it should be borne in mind that Hulkenberg was only fractionally ahead of Massa and his car was a long way to the right of Massa's car. I would not be surprised, therefore, if Massa was not actually able to see Hulkenberg as his peripheral vision would be severely impaired by the high side impact structures around the cockpit.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Button's diary entry: Threw away a good points finish for a dice with Pastor :(