Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - 2015 Singapore

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Shizuka

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - 2015 Singapore

Post by Shizuka »

based on the assumption that, at any moment in time, there is a non-zero probability that even the slowest, most inexperienced and least reliable of underdogs might win the race. That under every rock, there might be a gold nugget. This is the award for that first podium that we all celebrate, for the overtake no-one was expecting, for Ericsson's first win. This is the award, in short, for the driver or team that makes you go "Woah! Where did THAT come from?!".

Just remember: this is a feel-good award, that will focus on nothing but track action.
Usual rules: everyone gets two votes. First vote is worth 10 points, the second 6.

Post your results until September 25.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Aguaman

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - 2015 Singapor

Post by Aguaman »

1. Rossi - great debut
2. Nasr - Since Max didn't give the place back to Sainz
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

1. Felipe Nasr - He was a threat for points all evening. Considering this is one of Sauber's weakest circuits, that 10th place is gonna feel like a podium for him.

2. Daniel Ricciardo - Now that's more like the Ricciardo of last season.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

1. Daniel Ricciardo - He never had the car to beat Vettel, but he gave it a damn good go regardless.
2. Max Verstappen - Nice recovery from being a lap down. I think he earned that place ahead of Sainz regardless.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

1. Vettel
2. Ricciardo

HM for the Toro Rosso boys.
tBone

Post by tBone »

1. Max Verstappen - great recovery drive, although he was lucky with SC situations
2. Ferrari - 2 cars on the podium on merit for the first time this season
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

1. Toro Rosso - They were an early nomination for ROTR for me, but both drivers performed superbly to salvage some points.
2. Alexander Rossi - Not an easy track to be making one's debut, but kept his nose clean when it mattered, and beat his team-mate too.
#FreeGonzo
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. (shared, 5 points for each): Manor and the man on track: Helped cause a few laps of utter chaos in what was a surprisingly uneventful race. :D
2. (shared, 1 point for each): Vettel, Ricciardo, Rossi, Nasr, Sainz and Verstappen: All had a surprising and shining performance in their own way.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

1. Verstappen
2. SC
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I was there at the Grand Prix, Bay Grandstand at turn 17/18, and now it's time to weigh my opinion

1. Toro Rosso -- They were the standouts. They got rousing applause from the grandstand, overtaking like-a-hell, to quote Trulli. Mind you, this is given to the drivers, both of which suffered mechanical problems yet ran like hell throughout the second half of that race.

2. Daniel Ricciardo -- I expected Ferrari up there, it's normal, but for Ricciardo in the Red bull to maintain his pace with Vettel and set fastest lap in the process was just astounding.

Honorable Mention
goes to the commentators at trackside, up on the big screens. Despite mixing up of teammates here and there, they were fantastic. Every technical jargon on the radio was described, elaborated and placed into the context of what happens to the driver superbly.

Hell, the period of time where Vettel, Ricciardo and Raikkonen were running close after SC 1 may have been boring to those at home, but the commentators there gave the illusion and sold the battle as a really close fight, all drivers matching each other toe to toe. If one set a lap even one tenth faster, that tension was projected to us. They made the race exciting. They never babble about how boring the race is. They never focus on one singular driver all the time. They make Crofty and Brundle, in my mind, sound like amateurs.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Zergon

Post by Zergon »

1) Daniel Ricciardo: That´s what you should do when your car ia good enough to fight for the podium for once.

2) Sergio Perez: Managed to score pretty much the maximum amount of points for his team and kept Toro Rossos behind him at the end.

Honorable Mention:
Toro Rosso: I was planning on giving ROTR for them after the poor start but boy if they did up their game on the second half even if those two safety cars obviously helped a lot. Too bad Verstappen decided that he doesn´t need to respect team orders at the end, which drops them on just honorable mentions in my books despite the good recovery.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. Rossi
2. 3 each for Ferrari and Red Bull
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Verstappen
2. Sainz Jr
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

1) Verstappen - Motherf*cker was a lap down, and he finished in the points. I wasn't aware there were team orders, so screw it.
2) Rossi - FP1 was a fact finding mission. He found where the limits are and proceeded to do a very solid job indeed. He beat Stevens too, so, uh, yeah.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

1. Ricciardo
2. The haze, for being gone in time for the race

:)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

1. Toro Rosso.
2. Rossi - the newbie beat his team-mate.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

1.Verstappen Stalled in the grid yes and helped by the safety cars but a great comeback drive nonetheless

2. Ricciardo- had a very strong race the best for Red Bull this season shame he wasnt able to fight Vettel for the lead
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

1. Rossi: Kept his head cool the entire race, and finished well ahead of his teammate, in one of the most demanding tracks of the calendar.

2. Verstappen: Stalled at the start, and was a lap down. Yet, still managed to finish 8th.

Honorable Mentions:

Sauber: Great driving from the two drivers is something we haven't seen much of this season.

Riccardo: Kept it close to the very end.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Verstappen - F**k your team orders!
Ricciardo - So the Renault engine isn't that bad then.
Just For One Day...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

CoopsII wrote:Verstappen - F**k your team orders!
Ricciardo - So the Renault engine isn't that bad then.

It still very bad. Ricky's was losing plenty of time through sector 1 (across from 0.100 to 0.500 a lap), and then would gain through sector 2 and 3.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

First nomination to Max Verstappen. The kid did a really good race.

My second goes to the Singapore GP. Was it the metro system or whatever, this year produced an abnormal amount of electronic glitches. That gave us a random amount of unreliability remembering me of the good old days. On the second thought, was it you Bernie? :o
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

DOSBoot wrote:1. Rossi: Kept his head cool the entire race, and finished well ahead of his teammate, in one of the most demanding tracks of the calendar.

2. Verstappen: Stalled at the start, and was a lap down. Yet, still managed to finish 8th.

Honorable Mentions:

Sauber: Great driving from the two drivers is something we haven't seen much of this season.

Riccardo: Kept it close to the very end.

What he wrote.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

1. Max Verstappen - Went from being a lap down to finishing in the points. Some typically aggressive moves as usual, kid has some serious talent.

2. Alexander Rossi - Beat his teammate and looked decent enough. It's been a while since we've had to wait for his debut and he hasn't done badly.

HM: Jenson Button - Looked quite quick during the race and could've stolen a couple of points if Maldonado didn't decide to stop on the exit of the turn.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

1. Carlos Sainz, Jr. - Verstappen looked more impressive, but we're expecting him to pass people. Plus, Toro Rosso were on point, and Max got some serious help through the safety car. Carlos was every bit as impressive as Max, if not more.

2. Felipe Nasr - scored a solid point for the first time since Monaco.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Max Verstappen and his great drive.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

1.) Riccardo - Great drive mate
2.) Rossi - Kept his nose clean and beat Stevens on track.

I don't understand all the love for Max, team orders are team orders, no excuse for that.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wallio wrote:I don't understand all the love for Max, team orders are team orders, no excuse for that.

Doesn't undo his recovery from a lap down to beat his teammate - even with the first safety car, he was still about 20-odd seconds off the back of the pack once they got racing again.
Everything's great.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Wallio wrote:I don't understand all the love for Max, team orders are team orders, no excuse for that.

Fack the team orders.
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

AxelP800 wrote:

Fack the team orders.

But in this case, they were justified.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

tommykl wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:

Fack the team orders.

I don't think so... Verstappen had been ahead of Sainz since lap 38. The team was likely just trying to give Sainz a shot at passing Perez.
Everything's great.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Salamander wrote:
tommykl wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:Fack the team orders.

I don't think so... Verstappen had been ahead of Sainz since lap 38. The team was likely just trying to give Sainz a shot at passing Perez.

Which is exactly why it was justified. Toro Rosso are fighting Lotus in the constructors' championship and need every point they can take. Sainz had let Verstappen through earlier in the race for the same reason, to pass the cars in front, and both drivers did so with ease until Verstappen bumped into Pérez, and stayed there for about a dozen laps. Letting Sainz through for him to have a go could not have hurt, and if he hadn't made it through, he would likely have been told to let Verstappen through again, which would only be fair, and probably would have happened, because Carlos, unlike Max, seems to understand the concept of a 'team'.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

tommykl wrote:Which is exactly why it was justified. Toro Rosso are fighting Lotus in the constructors' championship and need every point they can take. Sainz had let Verstappen through earlier in the race for the same reason, to pass the cars in front, and both drivers did so with ease until Verstappen bumped into Pérez, and stayed there for about a dozen laps. Letting Sainz through for him to have a go could not have hurt, and if he hadn't made it through, he would likely have been told to let Verstappen through again, which would only be fair, and probably would have happened, because Carlos, unlike Max, seems to understand the concept of a 'team'.

Sainz let Verstappen through? When? Verstappen moved past him twice in the race - once under safety car, and once when both Lotuses also went past.
Everything's great.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Salamander wrote:
tommykl wrote:Which is exactly why it was justified. Toro Rosso are fighting Lotus in the constructors' championship and need every point they can take. Sainz had let Verstappen through earlier in the race for the same reason, to pass the cars in front, and both drivers did so with ease until Verstappen bumped into Pérez, and stayed there for about a dozen laps. Letting Sainz through for him to have a go could not have hurt, and if he hadn't made it through, he would likely have been told to let Verstappen through again, which would only be fair, and probably would have happened, because Carlos, unlike Max, seems to understand the concept of a 'team'.

Sainz let Verstappen through? When? Verstappen moved past him twice in the race - once under safety car, and once when both Lotuses also went past.

I'm not quite sure, I only vaguely remember reading it somewhere, but I think it might have been under the safety car.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

tommykl wrote:
Salamander wrote:

I'm not quite sure, I only vaguely remember reading it somewhere, but I think it might have been under the safety car.

Since when are you allowed to change position behind the safety car?
Everything's great.
IceG

Post by IceG »

When you are unlapping yourself - as Max was.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

IceG wrote:When you are unlapping yourself - as Max was.

Not under the second safety car, he wasn't.
Everything's great.
IceG

Post by IceG »

I stand corrected
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Salamander wrote:

The lap chart shows Sainz and Verstappen switching positions under that safety car, on lap 38, to be precise.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:
Salamander wrote:

The lap chart shows Sainz and Verstappen switching positions under that safety car, on lap 38, to be precise.

Did either of them pit that lap, or did one pass the other on-track?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Verstappen - 109
Rossi - 71
Ricciardo - 71
Toro Rosso - 30
Nasr - 23
Sainz - 17
Vettel - 11
Ferrari - 9