2015 Italian Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Jocke1

Re: 2015 Italian Grand Prix

Post by Jocke1 »

WeirdKerr wrote:Not even Deletraz knows what Ericsson was doing

I missed qualifying. What'd Ericsson do?
-*:-
went

Post by went »

Jocke1 wrote:

Slowing down to a crawl while zigzagging around to warm up tires in a straight while the Hulk was trying to, you know, race and stuff right behind him.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'm going to be cheering like f**k for the Marussias tomorrow as I think this will be their best starting positions ever. Yes, yes, it's because of the misfortunes of other, arguably, better teams but, hey, Marussia didnt get any penalties so ner ner ner ner ner!
Just For One Day...
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Ted Kravitz interviewed the one and only Arturo Mezario on his quali notebook! Still wearing the cowboy hat :)
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

East Londoner wrote:Ah, so that's why McLaren are running such a thin rear wing. It's all down to the shortcoming in their powertrain. By doing this, they can mitigate the deficit in power with an increase in straightline speed.

When the electric bit of the power train would run out of juice halfway down the shortest straight bit in Monaco, the car needs all the help it can get at Monza.
mario

Post by mario »

So, just to make matters worse for Verstappen, it has been confirmed that he will have to take a drive through penalty as punishment for the team sending his car out onto track "in an unsafe manner" after his engine cover failure in qualifying. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/09/05/d ... er-mishap/

went wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:

Slowing down to a crawl while zigzagging around to warm up tires in a straight while the Hulk was trying to, you know, race and stuff right behind him.

In some ways, Ericsson is lucky that he only had one penalty - he was under investigation for blocking Hulkenberg twice, once on the entrance into Parabolica and once into the second Variante chicane.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Well, I hope everyone enjoyed fantasising about a potentially competitive Italian Grand Prix and has now been brought back to the reality of having to settle for a Hamilton benefit event.
Whiteshore

Post by Whiteshore »

The lords of mayhem in Lotus both DNF in a matter of 30 seconds!
Unafraid of the papaya!
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Lame with Lotus DNFing.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Hamilton left his pit stop before Vettel cleared Ascari...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

This is why I don't like Monza - when it's bad, it's really bad.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Salamander wrote:This is why I don't like Monza - when it's bad, it's really bad.

This is just a dull race. Like this is really dull.

Oh look as dig on Pastor. I see you Brundle, I see you.

Hopefully Ericsson scores.
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

I can do with Monza being replaced by Imola or Mugello, really. Boring circuit.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Aguaman wrote:
Salamander wrote:This is why I don't like Monza - when it's bad, it's really bad.

This is just a dull race. Like this is really dull.

To the point where the kid noticing he's on the world-feed is the best part of the race.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Ooh something that will end up as nothing bad for Lewis. That's interesting....

Monza's best races is when a lot of cars retired or rain or both. It's not going to happen here. Holy shite the race is nearly over? lol damn.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Yeah sure why not it be Nico? Not even this retirement makes anything different. This race is dull as rocks. However Ericssion scores.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Title over. 53 points of a gap. Damn it. :(

Well this race wsa dull. I love Monza, but it doesn't suit the uber grip of these cars. I don't remember one overtake that wasn't at turn 1 or Ascari.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Flashes of Jacques Villeneuve or Eddie Irvine with the hair.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Were they expecting a time penalty for Lewis or something?
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Enforcer wrote:Were they expecting a time penalty for Lewis or something?

BBC says that the stewards are wanting a chat with Mercedes over Hamilton's tyre pressures.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Fetzie wrote:

BBC says that the stewards are wanting a chat with Mercedes over Hamilton's tyre pressures.

Oh man if Ferrari gets a win at Monza. I would love it.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Are they cheering for George Lucas? Cause that would be awesome.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Aguaman wrote:
Fetzie wrote:

Oh man if Ferrari gets a win at Monza. I would love it.

I think the biggest time penalty they can impose is 25 seconds, Hamilton's gap to Vettel at the final classification was 25.042 seconds.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Fetzie wrote:
I think the biggest time penalty they can impose is 25 seconds, Hamilton's gap to Vettel at the final classification was 25.042 seconds.

Aw...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

George Lucas was probably the worst podium presenter since it's
conception.

I remember Piquet sr. was pretty horrible and also someone else I'm forgetting
at the moment, but Lucas was just terrible up there. :facepalm:
mario

Post by mario »

Miguel98 wrote:Title over. 53 points of a gap. Damn it. :(

Well this race wsa dull. I love Monza, but it doesn't suit the uber grip of these cars. I don't remember one overtake that wasn't at turn 1 or Ascari.

I do wonder if it was because Rosberg had been running his engine especially hard in the opening laps in an attempt to pass Bottas - he mentioned using the overtake function on the engine - which just tipped his engine over the edge.

Fetzie wrote:

Kravitz is suggesting that Ferrari might also be called to the stewards over their tyre pressures as well - so now we suddenly have a very interesting situation.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Yeah, but then they might as well pull everybody in that did a 1-stop race, because tyre pressures will naturally drop the longer your stint is.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

So, they're looking at a time penalty for Lewis - the biggest of which would still leave him in the lead. Thus making the penalty a waste of paperwork.

Maybe I'm being silly here, but if the tire pressure rule is there, and Lewis breached it, and it's deemed to be advantageous and therefore worthy of penalty, shouldn't it penalised in a way that would actually impact the result? Same would go for Ferrari if they've done it too, btw.

I think penalties in F1 require a review. The fact that a team can realise they're in for a penalty and say "oh feck, push push push so we're out of penalty range" seems ridiculous to me.

Fetzie wrote:Yeah, but then they might as well pull everybody in that did a 1-stop race, because tyre pressures will naturally drop the longer your stint is.

Whilst your probably right about tire pressures, the fact that they're only looking at three drivers out of 17 finishers, most of whom 1 stopped, suggests that Hamilton & the Ferraris had lower tire pressures than everyone else.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Evans and Canamasas were DQ'd from GP2 qualifying earlier this weekend for the same infringement. On the basis of consistency, the stewards HAVE to exclude Hamilton, if he's found to be guilty.

Other than that, this was the first F1 race I have ever turned off before half distance. I instead spent the rest of the time watching a cracking touring car race at Rockingham.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

Fetzie wrote:Yeah, but then they might as well pull everybody in that did a 1-stop race, because tyre pressures will naturally drop the longer your stint is.

Whilst it is true that the tyres might be expected to cool off slightly during the stint, causing a slight drop in pressure, the statement read out during the press conference would suggest that the complaint is about the starting pressure of the tyre (the rear left tyre being 0.3psi below the recommended minimum of 19.5psi).

Enforcer wrote:So, they're looking at a time penalty for Lewis - the biggest of which would still leave him in the lead. Thus making the penalty a waste of paperwork.

Maybe I'm being silly here, but if the tire pressure rule is there, and Lewis breached it, and it's deemed to be advantageous and therefore worthy of penalty, shouldn't it penalised in a way that would actually impact the result? Same would go for Ferrari if they've done it too, btw?

I think penalties in F1 require a review. The fact that a team can realise they're in for a penalty and say "oh feck, push push push so we're out of penalty range" seems ridiculous to me.

Kravitz has suggested that, if Mercedes are found guilty, the penalties could be more severe than a time penalty - failing to run at the required minimum tyre pressure could as a technical infringement, the penalty for which could include disqualification.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

East Londoner wrote:Evans and Canamasas were DQ'd from GP2 qualifying earlier this weekend for the same infringement. On the basis of consistency, the stewards HAVE to exclude Hamilton, if he's found to be guilty.

You know sod it, I'm not going any secret of the fact that I'd laugh my ass off if Lewis was DQ'd (also DQ Lewis & the Ferraris = Massa win), but DQing from qualifying isn't as harsh a punishment as DQing from a race is, because you can still race and pick up points after being DQ'd from qualy, but if you're DQ'd from the race, that's it - no points, no comeback. So it's not necessarily inconsistent for them to not DQ Hamilton from the race.

(Unless Evans and Canamasas weren't allowed start the race after being DQd from qualifying.)
Last edited by Enforcer on 06 Sep 2015, 14:10, edited 2 times in total.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Technical delegates report says the Ferrari & Mercedes' left rear tires were measured before the race.

Ferrari were above Pirelli's specified minimum for a starting race pressure. Lewis was 0.3 PSI below, Rosberg 1.1 PSI below.

If this is what the problem is, why does it take them until only 4 laps from the end to start thinking about doing something about it?
Last edited by Enforcer on 06 Sep 2015, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Oh pleeease disqualify Hamilton, Vettel & Raikkonen so that Ericsson gets
promoted to a career-best 6th.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Jocke1 wrote:Oh pleeease disqualify Hamilton, Vettel & Raikkonen so that Ericsson gets
promoted to a career-best 6th.

Ferrari are fine I heard. So Vettel, Massa and Bottas I hope. I should be DQed due to safety.
mario

Post by mario »

Enforcer wrote:Technical delegates report says the Ferrari & Mercedes' left rear tires were measured before the race.

Ferrari were above Pirelli's specified minimum for a starting race pressure. Lewis was 0.3 PSI below, Rosberg 1.1 PSI below.

If this is what the problem is, why does it take them until only 4 laps from the end to start thinking about doing something about it?

It also seems odd that, if the checks were being made on safety grounds, the measurements were only made on the top four drivers - surely that should have been applied across the full grid if it was for safety reasons?
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

mario wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:Title over. 53 points of a gap. Damn it. :(

I do wonder if it was because Rosberg had been running his engine especially hard in the opening laps in an attempt to pass Bottas - he mentioned using the overtake function on the engine - which just tipped his engine over the edge.

Fetzie wrote:

Kravitz is suggesting that Ferrari might also be called to the stewards over their tyre pressures as well - so now we suddenly have a very interesting situation.

So, there are chances of a Williams 1-2 in the end. :shock:
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Dj_bereta wrote:So, there are chances of a Williams 1-2 in the end. :shock:

No, Ferrari are fine, it's just Mercedes that are in doubt.
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

Dj_bereta wrote:
mario wrote:Kravitz is suggesting that Ferrari might also be called to the stewards over their tyre pressures as well - so now we suddenly have a very interesting situation.

So, there are chances of a Williams 1-2 in the end. :shock:

It now appears that the rumours are not correct, with Ferrari being cleared over this incident.

Thinking about it, I wonder if it would necessarily be a good thing if Hamilton is disqualified? I imagine that there will be a hell of an outcry - we know that Pirelli was already being criticised for repeatedly changing its guidance (they gave three different tyre values within the first practise session) - and given that people have complained about the high number of tyre failures, I can see further complaints along the lines of "If Pirelli weren't making terrible tyres, we wouldn't have these sorts of problems in the first place".
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

I can sort of get my head around the FIA not dealing out the tyre pressure punishment until after the race if they want to actually conduct a proper investigation rather than just dealing out a DQ (in which case they should've just black flagged him within the first 10 laps). What's ridiculous is telling Mercedes about it a few laps from the end so they can try and push out of range of a potential time penalty. They're talking about disqualification now, but one wonders that if Lewis was closer to Vettel and would be demoted to 2nd by a 25 second penalty, would that be on the table as an option.

As for whether it should be penalised or not. I'm caught in two minds. I can't imagine there to be a huge advantage (if any at all) for .3 PSI in cold temp pressure on a tyre. Mid race, they'd all be up in 20s anyway. But then again, rules are rules, and there's no point in having them there if they're not going be enforced.

And the effect on the Championship if Hamilton is DQ'd, it'll just delay the inevitable. Neither Ferrari or Rosberg are capable of stopping him from winning the title unless he implodes.
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

If Hamiltons car let's down on him just once it can get exciting.. but it's not likely, I agree.

Funny how this is the most exciting part of the race.