New editor for F1GP coming soon

Archive for the three above subforums
Fred Mayo

New editor for F1GP coming soon

Post by Fred Mayo »

So is anyone out there still playing Formula One Grand Prix from 1992? I am. Occasionally at least. Because it's still so damn sweet. And sometimes I like to edit the cars, drivers, their performance, etc. The only way that this is currently possible is to use an editor called F1Ed, which hasn't been updated since 1996 or so, and doesn't run on anything newer than Windows XP.

Until now. Or soon. Ish.

Yes, I am writing ArgEditor - a new editor for F1GP - from scratch. It will have all the expected features from F1Ed and then some. And it will work on modern Windows installations (Windows 7 and later). I have a whole bunch of ideas. But for now, just the basics, including but not limited to:
- Naming teams and drivers
- Setting their performance
- Painting the cars and pit crews
- Painting the drivers' helmets
- Setting the player car horsepower

I have already come quite a bit, and I am intending to release a first rough beta version within the next few weeks. No guarantees though. But not to far off that, hopefully.

Since this is my favorite F1 forum, I'm making the "announcement" here first. If anyone of you is interested in trying the beta out, say something here or send an e-mail to fredrik AT codemeyer DOT net (replace you-know-what with an @ and a dot). Or I'll just post updates here in this thread, I guess.

I'm still messing about with the user interface, but here is a work-in-progress, ugly, intentionally resized (to hide the ugliness) screenshot of the car/pit crew painting screen:

Oh, and "Arg" in ArgEditor means Ancient Racing Game. Of course. I know what happens when you call stuff something with "F1" these days.
AndreaModa

Re: New editor for F1GP coming soon

Post by AndreaModa »

Fred Mayo wrote:The only way that this is currently possible is to use an editor called F1Ed, which hasn't been updated since 1996 or so, and doesn't run on anything newer than Windows XP.

Fred Mayo wrote:And it will work on modern Windows installations (Windows 7 and later).

You...you mean no support for the mighty Vista...? :cry:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

AndreaModa wrote:
Fred Mayo wrote:The only way that this is currently possible is to use an editor called F1Ed, which hasn't been updated since 1996 or so, and doesn't run on anything newer than Windows XP.

Fred Mayo wrote:And it will work on modern Windows installations (Windows 7 and later).

You...you mean no support for the mighty Vista...? :cry:

> mighty
> Vista
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Hey, you can laugh but my Acer 5720 is still going strong 7 years after purchase! Best £350 I ever paid, it hasn't let me down yet!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Grand Prix Editor works fine on Vista for me. Have you tried that?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Grand Prix Editor works fine on Vista for me. Have you tried that?

No, though I'm sure it would. I was just messing really with the OP that he didn't mention Vista ;)

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_