RIP Peter de Klerk

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Bobby Doorknobs

RIP Peter de Klerk

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I was having a look at Stats F1's list of deceased drivers when I noticed that right below Jules Bianchi in the list was one of South Africa's many privateers from the 1960s: Peter de Klerk. Naturally, I was taken aback by this news as I had not seen it reported in any motorsports publications. A quick Google Search found that his Wikipedia page also had the same July 11th date of passing and a South African news article seems to confirm the news: Peter de Klerk, who raced in four South African Grands Prix between 1963 and 1970, achieving a best result of 10th in the 1965 race (and 1st of the local drivers) driving his own Alfa Romeo Special, has indeed passed away at the age of 80.

His obituary.

I understand we are all mourning the loss of Jules, but I think we should spare a moment too for Peter.
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Re: RIP Peter de Klerk

Post by Rob Dylan »

Agreed, yet more sad news. Often in times such as these minor news stories get pushed aside, but when the paddock recover, the wider news stories will get picked up on and things will be put in perspective again.

But it doesn't make this news any less important or sad. R.I.P.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Rob Dylan wrote:Agreed, yet more sad news. Often in times such as these minor news stories get pushed aside, but when the paddock recover, the wider news stories will get picked up on and things will be put in perspective again.

But it doesn't make this news any less important or sad. R.I.P.

Well, it wasn't fully a case of it being overshadowed by Jules' passing, at least to my knowledge - de Klerk died nearly a full week before Jules. The fact that there was no report between then and Saturday morning was what surprised me. Still, here's hoping for some sort of tribute to the man :)
#FreeGonzo
Waris

Post by Waris »

I'm pretty interested in this guy, since he raced in cars he constructed himself, which I think has a lovely DIY ethic about it, especially when it's rejectful (see also: Merzario, Fittipaldi, Rebaque).
Since he's eligible for a profile, maybe as a sort of tribute someone could dig up some stories about him? I'd do it myself if I had the time, but sadly I don't.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS