Hungarian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Minardi Man

Re: Hungarian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Minardi Man »

Interesting how a few of the cars seem to be falling apart on track today, wonder what the repercussions will be for FI.
Meanwhile the crutch of DRS means that Hamiltons atrocious mistakes at the start, go unpunished
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Hamilton slam-dunk ROTR, just for that lap alone. What a bathplug James Hunt.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

good_Ralf wrote:
Enforcer wrote:Yay, safety car.

That's undone 2/3rds of a good race for Ferrari anyway.

Except everything is going wrong for Kimi. Well, almost everything.

EDIT: Isn't taking the SC and the whole field through the pit lane meant to be a bad idea? What if someone had to make a stop?

Better than taking the field through a pile of razor-sharp carbon fibre shrapnel.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Daniel Ricciardo could legit win this race.

Wat?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Ricciardo FTW!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Both McLarens in the points
Samster

Post by Samster »

Well now that six of the original top ten runners have self-destructed we now have Max Verstappen in the top five! And McLaren in sixth and eighth. :D
went

Post by went »

Such a dramatic ending. Hamilton could legit end in the points despite everything. Amazing McLaren performance too. Incredible.

Great show from Sebastian.
Last edited by went on 26 Jul 2015, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

East Londoner wrote:Hamilton slam-dunk ROTR, just for that lap alone. What a bathplug James Hunt.

Don't be so sure. Pastor is putting up a fine challenge.
Minardi Man

Post by Minardi Man »

I honestly think Alonso could get points out of the popemobile at this point.
Meanwhile, oh Pastor, whatever are we going to do with you?
went

Post by went »

Hamilton under investigation again. This is ridiculous.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

How many write-ups in one race does it take to trigger a black flag?

Blimmimg heck, this is crazy.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Everyone apart from Vettel, Alonso and the Manors for ROTR, surely. :P
went

Post by went »

One lap and a McLaren will end ahead of both Mercedes.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

East Londoner wrote:Everyone apart from Vettel, Alonso and the Manors for ROTR, surely. :P

I think we should call the thread "rejects of the race" this time
Last edited by Fetzie on 26 Jul 2015, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Ricciardo you bathplugging idiot! Yes I know Rosberg effectively caused the contact but it was Ricciardo that caused the situation in the first place with that ridiculous out of control lock up. And now despite doing everything to throw points away, Lewis will now get an completely undeserved extension of his points lead. :facepalm:
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

This literally went from possibly the worst race of the year to the best, and the most farcical of the decade, perhaps.

KVYAT 2ND, YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

Well, that ended up being more bonkers than Brois Johnson on acid - that was a pretty weird race in the end, ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous and with many drivers covering that whole range.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

That was a really good race tbh.

Vettel, Kvyat, Verstappen & Alonso deserve plaudits for keeping level heads and collecting points.

Ricciardo & Hamilton both need to stop getting nosebleeds when they try to pass people.

Pastor needs to collect his P45.

Feel really bad for Kimi, he'd have probably made it a Ferrari 1-2 but for the MGUK failure.
Last edited by Enforcer on 26 Jul 2015, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Usually I'm worried about staying up for F1 races. Not a problem here.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Francis23

Post by Francis23 »

Great race! Stewards were far too inconsistent though, if you're going to give Hamilton a drive through then why not Rosberg or Maldonado who compromised their competitors races even more?!

Still though, a fantastic race, I hope Jules was watching somewhere and enjoying it!
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

There's absolutely no reason to give Rosberg a penalty in this entire race. The incident with Ricciardo was a clear racing incident.

Maldonado did take a penalty for his part on the Perez incident.

Best race since Canada 2011 for sure, maybe even better than that one.
Francis23

Post by Francis23 »

GerhardTalger wrote:There's absolutely no reason to give Rosberg a penalty in this entire race. The incident with Ricciardo was a clear racing incident.

Wasn't it only a 5 second penalty though? Not that it matters much now, good to see a mixed up order
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Maldonado and Lewis got it (Drive through) for hitting the sides of the other cars. Rosberg chopped ahead after a very over-ambitious lock up move by Ricciardo. So Rosberg got a puncture.

Would have loved a Rosberg lead but hey I'll love a Ferrari winning and Kvyat on the podium. Vettel is like 40 odd points from the WC.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

If you missed this race, too bad. Nomination for race of the year (in F1). I mean (spoiler)

VERSTAPPEN UNREJECTIFIED, ALONSO IN MCHONDA 5TH, REDBULL PODIUMS, VETTEL WINS.
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
mario

Post by mario »

Francis23 wrote:
GerhardTalger wrote:There's absolutely no reason to give Rosberg a penalty in this entire race. The incident with Ricciardo was a clear racing incident.

Wasn't it only a 5 second penalty though? Not that it matters much now, good to see a mixed up order

Yes, Maldonado did only get a five second penalty for his collision with Perez, which does seem a bit lenient given that Hamilton earned a drive through for his collision.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Why am I still not awake yet? I'm not sleeping in to miss HAMILTONWINSLOL in Hungary.
#FreeGonzo
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

What a great race. Even better than last race and Canada 2011!

Did Verstappen take his drive-through penalty? I didn't notice him taking it and I'm afraid he'll be disqualified...
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Meatwad wrote:What a great race. Even better than last race and Canada 2011!

Did Verstappen take his drive-through penalty? I didn't notice him taking it and I'm afraid he'll be disqualified...

He did. He was just far ahead of Fernando before taking it.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Samster wrote:Ricciardo you bathplugging idiot! Yes I know Rosberg effectively caused the contact but it was Ricciardo that caused the situation in the first place with that ridiculous out of control lock up.

I'll admit to being a Ricciardo-fanboy, but Ricciardo's move, while a little careless, did not result in him going off the track, or getting in the way of Rosberg. Ricciardo had to try something, and if he remained ahead we'd all be applauding a ballsy overtake.
While I agree that it was a racing incident that should not have resulted in a penalty to either driver, saying that Dan caused the situation is ridiculous.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

mario wrote:
Francis23 wrote:

Yes, Maldonado did only get a five second penalty for his collision with Perez, which does seem a bit lenient given that Hamilton earned a drive through for his collision.

Wrong. He got a drive through.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

The collision with Ricciardo and Rosberg was entirely Rosberg's fault. First, Ricciardo was never outside the track limits - what he did was entirely legal. Second, the onboard showed he was driving in a straight line when Rosberg hit him. Thirdly, Rosberg should simply have known better - he had far more to lose by being so aggressive with his defense exiting the corner - it is entirely possible to maintain track position around the outside of 2. But instead of taking a 3 point hit in the points, he lost a net 13 to Hamilton. Good job dumbass, I'm done rooting for you.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
mario

Post by mario »

mario wrote:
Francis23 wrote:

Aguaman wrote:Wrong. He got a drive through.

I stand corrected - with Maldonado picking up so many penalties, I thought that he'd picked up the time penalty for the collision with Perez, but now I realise that was for speeding, not for the collision.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Salamander wrote:The collision with Ricciardo and Rosberg was entirely Rosberg's fault. First, Ricciardo was never outside the track limits - what he did was entirely legal. Second, the onboard showed he was driving in a straight line when Rosberg hit him. Thirdly, Rosberg should simply have known better - he had far more to lose by being so aggressive with his defense exiting the corner - it is entirely possible to maintain track position around the outside of 2. But instead of taking a 3 point hit in the points, he lost a net 13 to Hamilton. Good job dumbass, I'm done rooting for you.

I bet you wouldn't have reacted like this if it was Kvyat he hit instead of Ricciardo...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Salamander wrote:Good job dumbass, I'm done rooting for you.

The other guy may have spent years being an annoying baby, but making the wrong split-second decision has really forced me to change my mind on who I like better.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I am so pleased that Vettel won - it seemed right that a Ferrari won that race. A shame that Kimi's car conked out and that it couldn't be a 1-2.

3 things annoyed me though -

1) Hamilton drives like a dick and gets away with it AGAIN. How many times does this happen? Rosberg / Ricciardo was 50/50 in my opinion - just really clumsy.

2) Can we PLEASE make the tyres stronger? OK, that might not have helped Nico much, but I'm sick of tiny little touches on the rear tyre ruining people's races like it did for Bottas.

3) Sky F1. Jesus, defending Hamilton until it became impossible to do so, immediately blaming Nico for the incident with Ricciardo, and then waiting until the last 10 minutes of the show to talk to anyone from Ferrari. Funny how we get wall to wall Mercedes chat when Lewis wins, and they didn't waste any time in getting Horner on screen today either. Their coverage is getting worse, and if the BBC's wasn't even more shite then I would give up completely!

I don't really want to participate in the reject / improbability awards this time. I think anyone who did badly had a good reason to do so, and those who did badly helped who those who did unexpectedly well, barring Seb.

I'm just pleased that it was a good, enjoyable race and a fitting tribute to Jules.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Ataxia wrote:
Salamander wrote:The collision with Ricciardo and Rosberg was entirely Rosberg's fault. First, Ricciardo was never outside the track limits - what he did was entirely legal. Second, the onboard showed he was driving in a straight line when Rosberg hit him. Thirdly, Rosberg should simply have known better - he had far more to lose by being so aggressive with his defense exiting the corner - it is entirely possible to maintain track position around the outside of 2. But instead of taking a 3 point hit in the points, he lost a net 13 to Hamilton. Good job dumbass, I'm done rooting for you.

I bet you wouldn't have reacted like this if it was Kvyat he hit instead of Ricciardo...

No, but it still would be his fault.

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Salamander wrote:Good job dumbass, I'm done rooting for you.

The other guy may have spent years being an annoying baby, but making the wrong split-second decision has really forced me to change my mind on who I like better.

I never said I liked Hamilton more. I'm just done supporting Rosberg for the title. His near-constant inability to maximise his opportunities has gotten too much for me.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I'm gonna stick my neck on the line and say Ricciardo/Rosberg was a racing incident; blame for it goes 50/50.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Hamilton's race was like:
- Drops 3 places on the first corner
- Goes off of his own accord and blames his teammate - drops 6 places
- Makes slow recovery
- Benefits from safety car.
- Hits Ricciardo - loses 9 places
- Gets penalty - loses another 2
- Due to a deal with Satan, everybody's problems put him still ahead of Rosberg.

During just about every part of this race, every time Hamilton bathplugged it up, Coulthard and Edwards took a brief pause to collect their thoughts on how they were going to spin these incidents as a decent drive from Lewis. I think I must have ranted about the BBC coverage on every race this year so far. Some of the races have been excruciating.

EDIT: Hamilton also hit Massa when trying to overtake.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Rob Dylan wrote:
During just about every part of this race, every time Hamilton bathplugged it up, Coulthard and Edwards took a brief pause to collect their thoughts on how they were going to spin these incidents as a decent drive from Lewis. I think I must have ranted about the BBC coverage on every race this year so far. Some of the races have been excruciating.
This. I also watch the BBC coverage and have taken every opportunity to complain about these fanboys. This isn't commentary, it's hero-worship.