Perfect Season Calendar

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
GT VIRUS

Re: Perfect Season Calendar

Post by GT VIRUS »

Hey just registered.

My opinion: I accually think this years calander is fairly good. i would just make 3 changes.

1. Move melbourne to eastern creek. God i hate the melbourne track, its not no life, is boring to race and isn't good for overtaking
2. Bring back Canada. It was an awesome track
3. Add Potrero de los Funes. That track is amazing, i hope it can pick up some big name events because its fantastic.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I'm afraid Eastern Creek will never host a Grand Prix. And if it did, it would probably be worse than Melbourne.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
GT VIRUS

Post by GT VIRUS »

Why do you feel that? As far as im concerned, unless something has happened the planed track updates it has every chance of being included in the season.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

It's too narrow, it's too slow, it's too short. The NSW Government would need to sink millions of dollars into upgrading the circuit to conform with FIA standards. I don't know what the planned upgrade invovles, but I do know that with Melbourne already having the rights to host the Australian Grand Prix, it's highly unlikely that another circuit will be willing to make such an investment with no guarantee that they will be able to secure the rights. And that's under normal conditions; the present economic climate combined with the criticisms of Nathan Rees' government - look at what happened when they green-lit the Homebush V8 Supercar race - means that Eastern Creek isn't going to appear on the calendar anytime soon. It might not have been designed by the man, but the proposed layout is a Tilke-drome if ever I saw one; a typical circuit is usually about five and a half kilometres long, whereas the current layout don't make four. With that in mind, imagine how tight andtwisty and boring that infield section is going to be:

Yeah, I get a definite Bahrain-esque vibe from it, which means processional racing. Albert Park is established, popular with fans and drivers, and won't yield to Ecclestone's night-race-or-else ultimatum because Ecclestone knows it's impossible; because the circuit is lined with run-off areas and trees, any lights would create massive shadows, requiring more and more lights t make it work. This is Ecclestone's favourite tactic: he has something he knows could be unpopular - a twilight start - and so suggests something even more outlandish like a night race and then bargains them down to the tilight start. He did the same thing with Sepang.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
PayasYouDNPQ

Post by PayasYouDNPQ »

Captain Hammer wrote:
Popi_Larrauri wrote:I'm argentinean, a great fan of F1 since 1990, and i haven't heard a word about this neat new circuit (at least nor for F1)..

It's a little longer than the standard circuit length thse days, but apparently all it needs is a serious upgrade to its it facilities (which are apparently pretty basic) and some more grandstands, and Lago Potrero de los Funes will apparently qualify for the FIA's "1" status (eligible to host Formula One races).

Potrero de los Funes is an amazing circuit. I believe you are right about it only needing a few upgrades to make FIA 1 status.
Teaching Australians about Rock Apes since 2005
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Captain Hammer wrote:
Popi_Larrauri wrote:I'm argentinean, a great fan of F1 since 1990, and i haven't heard a word about this neat new circuit (at least nor for F1)..

It's a little longer than the standard circuit length thse days, but apparently all it needs is a serious upgrade to its it facilities (which are apparently pretty basic) and some more grandstands, and Lago Potrero de los Funes will apparently qualify for the FIA's "1" status (eligible to host Formula One races).

Quiet a pleasent surpirese, my friend! Indeed! And it seems quiet interesting (in spite of being a bit too long), and somewhat lacking of stands to watch it. Couldn't get too much info on F1 paddock facilitties, but the up and down turns lousely resembles some Dijon-Prenois or Spa turns... I leave you a youtube video from a GT race where Anthony Kumpen & Bert Longins won. There are a number of rejects driving there commented by... another reject: Norberto Fontana himself! (drums!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVnfbXtPrfI
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Had to register just to post here after a long lurking.

Personally I'd love to see a 20-race calendar with a clear split of 5 races on the western hemisphere (Americas), 10 on Europe and 5 on the eastern hemishpere (Asia/Australia), with the calendar looking like this:

1: Brazilian Grand Prix (Interlagos)
I've always liked the idea of starting out in Brazil, and the Interlagos track is unique.
2: Argentinian Grand Prix (Buenos Aires, with the across-the-lake loop)
The circuit was nice, and the loop would give some great side-to-side dragging down it.
3: Mexican Grand Prix (Hermanos Rodrigues)
The Peradalta is still one of the more respect-awakening curves, and the circuit is wholly quite nice.
4: US Grand Prix (Laguna Seca)
We need an US grand Prix and we need to have it on a purpose built road course, not a street course or a Roval, so Laguna and the Corkscrew fit the bill.
5: Canadian Grand Prix (Montreal)
Even Though Mosport could be rather interesting, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is the only viable choice.

Then to Europe for a ten race stretch, moving roughly in geographical order
6: British Grand Prix (Brands Hatch)
It was really a toss-up, but unless they returned Silverstone to the 70's config, its Brands.
7: French Grand Prix (Paul Ricard)
With La Sarthe being a no-no for a f1-grand prix due to Mulsanne, Paul Ricard in its pre-86 config is the only viable choice for a grand prix in France... Mistral <3
8: Monaco
The crown Jewel is a must.
9: Italian Grand Prix (Monza)
Nuff said, no other alternative for an italian GP.
10, halfwaypoint of the season: San Marino Grand Prix (Imola)
Especially if restored to its pre-94 config...
11: Czech Grand Prix (Brno)
A great track that should be hosting an f1-race instead of all these Tilkerings.
12: European Grand Prix (Nurburgring)
As much as I'd love to see F1 back in the Nordscheiffe, thats too fantasy for even this, so the NewRing will do.
13: German Grand Prix (Hockenheim)
in the pre-02 config. One of the biggest shames in the F1's Trackmodification history.
14: Belgian Grand Prix (Spa)
A No-brainer.
15: Turkish Grand Prix (Istanbul)
Probably the only circuit TIlke succeeded in.

Then to the home stretch at Asia/Australia, starting with:
16:Malaysian Grand Prix (Sepang)
I got this odd like of the track, so I'd love to see it in the calendar for decades to come
17:Chinese Grand Prix (Shanghai)
A fun little track
18: Singapore Grand Prix
For a street circuit, its good.
19: Japanese Grand Prix (Suzuka)
Suzuka is imo one of the top tracks of all time in formula one.

and Finally the season ender
20: Australian Grand Prix (alternating between Adelaide and Melbourne)
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
PayasYouDNPQ

Post by PayasYouDNPQ »

Nice calendar.

DonTirri wrote:3: Mexican Grand Prix (Hermanos Rodrigues)
The Peradalta is still one of the more respect-awakening curves, and the circuit is wholly quite nice.

Unfortunately another corner that has been destroyed. Now has two chicanes in it. Would have been used for the A1GP but the race was cancelled due to the swine flu.
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

I see people often have problems writing 'Peraltada.' ;)
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
PayasYouDNPQ

Post by PayasYouDNPQ »

I don't like changing a quote, even if it's to correct a spelling mistake.

In some places I've seen it called the Peralta turn, though I usually call it the Peraltada.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

PayasYouDNPQ wrote:Unfortunately another corner that has been destroyed. Now has two chicanes in it.

Presumably the circuit could be run in the 1986-1992 configuration if the short sections and chicanes were bypassed. However, with the outside of the corner being a concrete wall instead of the former gravel trap, I would never expect it to hold a high level race without a chicane before Peraltada.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

South Africa - Kyalami
    Mexico - Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez
    Argentina - that new circuit round the volcanic lake
    Brazil - Original 1970s Interlagos layout

San Marino - Mugello (its closer than imola)
    Monaco - Nuff said
    France - Dijon or Paul Ricard
    England - Top Gear test track
    Scotland - Extend Knockhill
    Sweden - Anderstorp
    Finland - Helsinki street circuit used by the DTM mid 90s

Canada - Mosport
    USA East - Watkins Glen
    USA West - Long Beach

Belgium - Spa
    Germany - Nurburgring Nordschliefe
    Czech Rep - Brno
    Austria Osteriecihring
    Italy - Monza with banked section

Japan - Suzuka
    Austrailia - Adelaide
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

WeirdKerr wrote:
    England - Top Gear test track

The test track is a figure of 8, so you can't really use it for any race.There is a shorter version, but I think it's far too small to hold any race with more than 5 cars or so. Maybe if they made a bridge...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Waris

Re: Perfect Season Calender

Post by Waris »

Captain Hammer wrote:1 - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Island
2 - Qatar Grand Prix- Losail
3 - Turkish Grand Prix - Istanbul Park
4 - French Grand Prix - Charade
5 - Monaco Grand Prix - Circuit de Monaco
6 - British Grand Prix - Rockingham Speedway Road Course (with turn ten going right, up to the hairpin)
7 - German Grand Prix - Nurburgring Nordschliefe
8 - Russian Grand Prix - Novopodrezkovo (undeveloped)
9 - Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps
10 -Spanish Grand Prix - Montjuich Park
11 - Portugese Grand Prix - Autodromo Internacional do Algarve
12 - Canadian Grand Prix - Circuit Mont-Tremblant
13 - United States Grand Prix - Miller Motorsports Park
14 - Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka
15 - Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang International Circuit
16 - Singaporean Grand Prix - Marina Bay
17 -Australian Grand Prix - Townsville City Circuit (slightly lengthened)
18 - New Zealand Grand Prix - Hampton Downs
19 - Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos (1973)
20 - Argentine Grand Prix - Potrero de los Fuentes

A rather strange but very interesting calendar! And those corners at Miller Motorsports Park have some awesome names, when I first saw it I thought it was a joke! :D
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Waris

Post by Waris »

Nin13 wrote:Guys I have put together most extraordinary race calender. Drivers will have to deal with all things other than driving. :mrgreen:

01. Baghdad, Iraq
02. Kabul, Afghanistan
03. Islamabad, Pakistan
04. Pyongyang, North Korea
05. Reykjavik, Iceland
06. Valletta, Malta
07. Kiev, Ukraine
08. San Jose, Costa Rica
09. Nuuk, Greenland
10. Montevideo, Uruguay
11. Lima, Peru
12. Santiago, Chile
13. Caracas, Venezuela
14. Dakar, Senegal
15. Lome, Togo
16. Windhoek, Namibia
17. Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
18. Amman, Jordan
19. Tehran, Iran
20. <<FINALE>> Somewhere in Antarctic

I'm sure Bernie can even get above calender if he can get enough money from hosts.

You know, interestingly... When I was younger, I invented a race series with all the races in weird places like this. It was called Formula Magula. The cars were single-seaters, like Formula Ones, but with a glass window over the cockpit. I put a lot of poorly performing cars, drivers, events etc. in... Great fun! Full of rejects! :lol:
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS