Max Mosley attacks F1 driver salaries

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Max Mosley attacks F1 driver salaries

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Re: Max Mosley attacks F1 driver salaries

Post by mario »

I swear that every time Hamilton's contract is discussed in the newspapers, journalists seem to be continually inflating the value of his contract. In less than a fortnight, the figures seem to have risen by another $10 million a year - and, furthermore, it looks as if they've forgotten that a large chunk of the theoretical value of his contract comes from performance related bonuses.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Maybe Max would like to waste some more breath on footballers pay. Market forces.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

My only gripe with this is that the same folks who throw this kind of money to the drivers can, on the following day, complain about how much the costs have risen and that the sport is sucking too much cash. Luckily Mercedes have spared us that, but there are others out there...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Spectoremg wrote:Maybe Max would like to waste some more breath on footballers pay.

If that's an auto asphyxiation reference then I don't think there was any evidence of Maxy being into any of that, just bog-standard, run-of-the-mill, straightforward, good old fashioned but not so old fashioned as to be described as having Nazi overtones, sado masochism.

So let's not cast aspersions, yeah? ;)
Just For One Day...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Driver salaries aren't even the biggest issue. Top engineers salaries are. You saw how Mercedes came along and bought all the top talent from their rivals. When they didn't instantly get results they were accused of having too many cooks in the kitchen, but it worked out fine in the end, while some of their traditional rivals (especially McLaren, who over the years have lost a fair few staff to big money offers from Mercedes and Red Bull).

Meanwhile, most drivers on the grid are lucky to get a salary at all. I'm sure much of Hamilton's salary is down to a mixture of performance bonuses and marketing deals. Schumacher was an extremely high earner during his time, but much of his salary did not come directly from the pocket of Ferrari.

There is no point cost capping driver salaries whilst leaving R&D budgets wide open. The latter is far more important than the former.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

If you're gonna bitch about people having too much money go after the top 1% lol
Trump 2016
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Just For One Day...
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Isn't Vettel getting 150 million plus bonuses on his current 3 year deal with Ferrari?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Mercedes could afford to pay Hamilton that much if you halved the amount of prize money the team gets for winning and gave it to the bottom half of the field. But that's kind of up to Don Ecclestone.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Gerudo Dragon wrote:If you're gonna bitch about people having too much money go after the top 1% lol

That post looks incredibly hypocritical when next to your signature.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.