2015 Canadian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
FMecha

2015 Canadian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by FMecha »

How there's a prediction thread without a discussion thread for Canadian GP? Discuss. Will Hamilton avenge the Monaco debacle?

:)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: 2015 Canadian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

FMecha wrote:How there's a prediction thread without a discussion thread for Canadian GP? Discuss. Will Hamilton avenge the Monaco debacle?

:)

No, because he's moved on from that. He'll still probably win though.
#FreeGonzo
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

People still talking about Verstappen crash in the beginning of race weekend. Massa lose another opportunity to shut up his mouth.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119303
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

The McLaren's look sorta competitive now, still seem to have massive reliability issues though. I hope the Saubers don't fall off too much, Nasr is my favourite this year.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

and Hamilton goes into the tyre barrier
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

WeirdKerr wrote:and Hamilton goes into the tyre barrier

He also spun off in the first session. Looks like Hamilton is losing his cool.

Nice to see Lotus in a strong form. Looks like the team could challenge Williams in this weekend.
mario

Post by mario »

Dj_bereta wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:and Hamilton goes into the tyre barrier

He also spun off in the first session. Looks like Hamilton is losing his cool.

Nice to see Lotus in a strong form. Looks like the team could challenge Williams in this weekend.

To be honest, I think he'll be more worried about the way that the marshals dragged the car out of the barriers afterwards - there were some who thought that they smashed the gearbox of his car right into the crane which, if true, won't have done the driveline any good. He might have had crashes, but he has also been regularly setting lap times several tenths of a second per lap faster than his rivals, so he'll probably take some positives as well as some negatives from the session.

As you say, though, the bigger surprise is how competitive Lotus appear to be around here - I'd agree that it looks like they could put Williams under more pressure. That said, Lotus have had issues in the past with the regenerative braking units on their cars, and given Canada puts a lot of stress on the braking system, that is one areas that could trip them up in the race.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

Dj_bereta wrote:People still talking about Verstappen crash in the beginning of race weekend. Massa lose another opportunity to shut up his mouth.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119303

It was the talk of the last two weeks on the Dutch message boards. There are haters everywhere because having some success isn't appreciated in here and the fans are too blind to see that it wasn't Grosjeans fault.

It's bathplug annoying.

Anyway, let's hope that this race will be as good as last year's. Although it isn't anything likely.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

I was in the grandstand at turn 6-7, and noted that the Williams cars, and Bottas in particular, was very skittish in the corners, more conspicuously than it's closest rivals. Bottas had his spin right in front of my eyes, and I saw it coming from his 5 previous laps. They seemed to improve towards the end of P1 and P2, but not where they wanted to be.

The Lotus looked very strong. I was surprised at the very competitive laps they set. I'll say a top 5 finish appears to be on the cards as the car is much more stable than the Williams, and they have the same Mercedes power unit in the back of the car. However, let's see how the brakes hold up first, based on the info in mario's post.

Hamilton's crash was a classic hydroplane. The never never sufficiently slowed with locked front wheels and slowly rotating rears. There wasn't anything he could do when the car started to hydroplane, and a trip to the wall was the result. After the red flag period, based on observations of turns 6-7, no wonder no one went out for the last 27 minutes or so. The kerbs were halfway submerged in puddles of water! The slight uphill gradient in the track in 7 had a river running down it. The track doesn't drain very well by the looks of it.

So far, I've loved my stay in Montréal. Another case of my visiting Canada and not wanting to come home to the USA. Trying to keep my travel-weary grandparents in check and read the French signs is a fantastic mental exercise. Besides that, the people are very friendly, and the culture is fantastic, including the racing culture. Surprised I never needed earplugs, but the cars were quiet enough to not need them. Only bad part of the day was being soaked by the downpour with a cast on my left wrist after breaking it last week, but that doesn't take anything away from the city itself. Tomorrow, I'll be there for P3 and qualifying, then going to the Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal. Sunday will be the race and the start of a trek home (while secretly screaming the word ARGH in my head the whole time travelling back).
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

And something I forget... who's going in to the wall of champions this year? :P
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

FMecha wrote:And something I forget... who's going in to the wall of champions this year? :P

Gotta be Ericsson.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

FMecha wrote:And something I forget... who's going in to the wall of champions this year? :P

I'm gonna say Alonso, if for no other reason than having a new champion hit it. Plus the idea of the regenerative braking systems frying as he pushes that heap where it has no business being is somewhat plausible.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

No Button for quali due to ERS
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Aguaman wrote:No Button for quali due to ERS

And Nasr could also miss qualifying no thanks to his huge FP3 shunt.
McLaren, why do you have to ruin life for at least one of your drivers every weekend?!
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Vettel and Massa out in Q1
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Mad props to Sauber for getting Nassar out at all much less making it to Q2.

ROTQ to this years shite engines. Button, Massa, and Vettel all out in Q1 thanks to lump failures.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Yeah, Vettel's car sounded very ill indeed on his hot lap. Does anyone know what Massa's issue was?

Certainly hoping for a blockbuster result for Team Enstone today.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

And thanks to Verstappen's draconian penalty (whether you think it was his fault or not 15 places is a bit much) Button will not start last, despite never even turning a wheel in quali

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Wallio wrote:And thanks to Verstappen's draconian penalty (whether you think it was his fault or not 15 places is a bit much) Button will not start last, despite never even turning a wheel in quali

It's not one penalty... 5 for the crash and 10 for a part change....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Ah that makes much more sense. Live commentary on the Official T&S made it seem like its all for Monaco.

Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Wallio wrote:And thanks to Verstappen's draconian penalty (whether you think it was his fault or not 15 places is a bit much) Button will not start last, despite never even turning a wheel in quali

I reckon that if you don't set any time in quali 1, you should have to start from the pitlane.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The Canadian stewards living up to their penalty happy traditions. :P

More to the point, who out of Vettel, Verstappen and Button starts last now?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

East Londoner wrote:

Pretty Sure Button starts last he didn't qualify so needs permission from the stewards to start. Verstappen 18th i think as his penalty dropped him to 19th originally and promoted Vettel to 15th who then takes a 5 pace grid drop which drops him to 19th as only 19 cars officially qualified. Penalties are applied in the order they are given.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

East Londoner wrote:

I believe Vettel will get a 5 seconds penalty, because he can't drop more than 3 positions. Vestappen, at least, 10 seconds.

I think is pretty bad to give a time penalty for a driver because he can't fulfil the grid penalty.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Didn't Rosberg and Danny Ric get away with red flag overtaking at Silverstone last year?
mario

Post by mario »

peteroli34 wrote:
East Londoner wrote:

Pretty Sure Button starts last he didn't qualify so needs permission from the stewards to start. Verstappen 18th i think as his penalty dropped him to 19th originally and promoted Vettel to 15th who then takes a 5 pace grid drop which drops him to 19th as only 19 cars officially qualified. Penalties are applied in the order they are given.

It certainly seems to be utterly confusing Will Buxton, but I do believe that you are correct.

As you say, because Button officially did not participate in that session, he automatically starts last on the grid - the precedent is that, in the 2014 Australian GP, Maldonado failed to set a time and, once the team asked for permission, he started in last place. Although Perez had a grid penalty after changing his gearbox, that only dropped him from 19th to 20th - he still remained ahead of Maldonado.
Then, once the penalties are applied in the order they were given, the net result is that Vettel starts behind Verstappen but ahead of Button.

andrew wrote:Didn't Rosberg and Danny Ric get away with red flag overtaking at Silverstone last year?

In the case of Rosberg, the reason why he was not penalised was because the stewards felt that Kvyat abruptly slowed down (to about 38kph) and veered across the track, and that Rosberg only overtook Kvyat because he was swerving to avoid colliding with him.

As for Ricciardo, the justification was that the red flag whilst Ricciardo had been in the process of legitimately passing Kvyat, and that he could not have reasonably reacted in time to avoid passing Kvyat by the time it changed from green flag to red flag conditions.

By contrast, the video footage that has emerged from the practise session offers neither of those mitigating reasons. Vettel had already passed four marshals posts that were showing red flags, so it should have been clear that there was a red flag situation; furthermore, Merhi was also driving on the racing line at a consistent and reasonable speed (he was doing about 240kph on the back straight when Vettel overtook him).

Given that Vettel was choosing to overtake Merhi on the stretch of track where Nasr had just crashed, and was therefore where the marshals would have been going to recover his car, I would say that a harsh penalty for endangering the marshals is quite fair.

For those who want to view it, you can see the video here: http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... -in-canada
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

mario wrote:It certainly seems to be utterly confusing Will Buxton, but I do believe that you are correct.

Its not that confusing, well not compared to the 2009 Japanese Grand Prix where only the top 3 on the grid started where they actually qualified.

EDIT: Scratch that the provisional starting grid has Vettel ahead of Verstappen. Not sure why as penalties are appled in the order they are given. Verstappen got his penalties before Vettel so should start ahead.
razta

Post by razta »

So Rosberg had shitty unbalanced tyres, and the team told him that it'll get better, but it didn't..
and not a single peep from SkySport "injustice" brigade..

go figure..
mario

Post by mario »

peteroli34 wrote:
mario wrote:It certainly seems to be utterly confusing Will Buxton, but I do believe that you are correct.

Its not that confusing, well not compared to the 2009 Japanese Grand Prix where only the top 3 on the grid started where they actually qualified.

EDIT: Scratch that the provisional starting grid has Vettel ahead of Verstappen. Not sure why as penalties are appled in the order they are given. Verstappen got his penalties before Vettel so should start ahead.

I should have made it clearer that I was referring to this comment by Buxton: https://twitter.com/thebuxtonblog/status/607285304278532096/photo/1

razta wrote:So Rosberg had shitty unbalanced tyres, and the team told him that it'll get better, but it didn't..
and not a single peep from SkySport "injustice" brigade..

go figure..

The indication is that the team decided to send Rosberg out on that particular set of tyres for his first run to ensure that he would have a reasonably representative time on the board, because they did not have any other set that Rosberg could use (that particular set of tyres was the set that Pirelli issues to teams for that stage of qualifying only).

It seems that Rosberg then made the mistake of assuming that the second set of tyres would behave like the first set did, and ordered the team to change the set up of the car by adjusting the front wing angle. However, he then found that the new set of tyres behaved normally and that the car had now been thrown out of balance by his decision to change the set up. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/exclu ... f-q3-tyres

East Londoner wrote:Yeah, Vettel's car sounded very ill indeed on his hot lap. Does anyone know what Massa's issue was?

Certainly hoping for a blockbuster result for Team Enstone today.

Williams have now confirmed that the reason why Massa was so slow was because there was an issue with the wastegate mechanism, which had an adverse effect on the energy recovery systems. The only good news is that at least Massa won't incur any additional penalties, as the part can be replaced for reliability reasons under the parc ferme regulations. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119360
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... grid-look/

It wasn't just confusing to Buxton, but to all of the NBC team. With hilarious results. It really doesn't make much sense.

Here's hoping for a repeat of last year's reliability with the Mercs, for a Kim or Lotus benefit this year.

Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Canada is normally an entertaining race, and the timing means it's usually a race chance for me to be able to sit and enjoy the whole thing properly live at home, as I'm not working at this time of day... I hope the race lives up to its usual entertainment!
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Me too- I wonder which lap the pastor will retire today!!!!
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

rachel1990 wrote:Me too- I wonder which lap the pastor will retire today!!!!

Hopefully lap 71. ;) :P
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

It would be nice wouldn't it. However....

Watching live bbc feed for the first time this year and I have forgotten how STUPID Suzy Perry is
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Blimey, I thought that anthem singer was a piss-take for a minute!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

A moment's silence to remember Max Chilton's F1 finishing streak, which ended in the worst possible way a year ago today.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I liked Brundle's evil chuckle as Alonso temporarily kept Vettel behind him for a second time there.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

And Alonso's getting pissed at McLaren.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Miguel98 wrote:And Alonso's getting pissed at McLaren.

About fuels or something. He feels that the teams'/Strategy Group decision against refueling is hurting him. :roll:
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fernando Alonso, upon being told to save fuel wrote:I don't want to

Open warfare at McLaren then.