The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Alextrax52

Re: The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

Post by Alextrax52 »

go_Rubens wrote:Well, Juventus just became the first Italian side since Inter to make the CL final. Unfortunately, it's a reflection on how good Juve is instead of how much better Italy has gotten. They'll probably be crushed by Barça to the point where I'll care more about whether Suárez shakes Evra's hand or not. To be honest I hate both Barça and Juve so I can't say who I want to win, unless I go with my soft spot for underdogs.

Well I for one am glad to see Real Madrid out. Never liked them due to their "buy anyone who has an outstanding season" approach. Also Ronaldo's poor attitude when others score and it's all going wrong wants me to see Messi lift the trophy just to rub it in his face.

I also see that Suarez will face Chiellni and Evra in the final :shock: :shock:
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

So meanwhile in Belgium Cardiff-owner Vincent Tan has bought Kortrijk. At least, he doesn't have to change the shirts to red, because they already are. (he should have bought mons though, whose nickname is actually the dragons and also play in red, he would have liked that)
Eventually, out of the 8 second division teams that failed to get their license, 4 of them went to court succesfully. One team is bankrupt, 2 teams didn't go to court, and one, Aalst, failed in court too.
Considering only 3 third divisions team got a licence, second division will shrink from 18 to 17. Altough third division team Hasselt went to another court, desperate for promotion. Altough they hired the same lawyer that was responsible for the famous Bosman-arrest.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Barbazza wrote:Delighted to see Orient go down, solely because I hate Barry Hearn.

Digging up something from weeks ago, but I must inform you that Barry Hearn sold the club at the end of the 2013-14 season, so if there was ever a season to have wished them well, it was this one!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Did he? He blabbed for so bloody long about how our move to the Olympic Stadium would take away all their supporters that I must have missed that announcement.

One of my best friends at school supported them so I had nothing against them until he turned up!

In other news regarding teams I hate, congrats to Swindon for dumping the disgraceful half of Sheffield's football teams out.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Barbazza wrote:Did he? He blabbed for so bloody long about how our move to the Olympic Stadium would take away all their supporters that I must have missed that announcement.

One of my best friends at school supported them so I had nothing against them until he turned up!

In other news regarding teams I hate, congrats to Swindon for dumping the disgraceful half of Sheffield's football teams out.

I'm just glad Fleetwood didn't make the playoffs. Plastic MK 3 in my view because you don't win 6 promotions in 10 seasons without a bit of cash. I'll be spewing if MK Dons are top of the championship after 5-6 games next season
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
Barbazza wrote:Did he? He blabbed for so bloody long about how our move to the Olympic Stadium would take away all their supporters that I must have missed that announcement.

I'm just glad Fleetwood didn't make the playoffs. Plastic MK 3 in my view because you don't win 6 promotions in 10 seasons without a bit of cash. I'll be spewing if MK Dons are top of the championship after 5-6 games next season

Nah, Fleetwood are run by a local businessman who's mad about the club. Their midfielder Nathan Pond, who's been at the club since 2003, has been with the team through all of those promotions. It's nice to see proper "Football Manager" style clubs who have rocketed through the leagues, but at the same time have shown prudent financial management.

On a different note, Plymouth didn't make it to the play-off final, so that might be a potential Yeovil away day to go to...hmm...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Aston Villa 1-5 Southampton, at HALF TIME.

I think a certain Birmingham based member of the forums is feeling pretty smug about this scoreline. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

East Londoner wrote:Aston Villa 1-5 Southampton, at HALF TIME.

I think a certain Birmingham based member of the forums is feeling pretty smug about this scoreline. :P

Bloody hell that is big for half time.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Gee, I wonder who that could be?

I'm quite annoyed that Hull lost to Burnley last week now, Villa would be in deep deep shite right now.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

roblomas52 wrote:

Bloody hell that is big for half time.

Looks like someone forgot that semifinal last year ;)

Regarding my post about Fleetwood it's nice to hear that there are owners who actually care about the club (unlike others). I'm probably just disillusioned by the number of clubs rocketing up from a nothing position after they get a ridiculous amount of money. This is why I act prefer Chelsea to Man City because at least Chelsea won a few trophies in the late 1990's early 2000's before Roman took over whereas all of City's recent success has all come since the Sheik arrived
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Regarding my post about Fleetwood it's nice to hear that there are owners who actually care about the club (unlike others). I'm probably just disillusioned by the number of clubs rocketing up from a nothing position after they get a ridiculous amount of money. This is why I act prefer Chelsea to Man City because at least Chelsea won a few trophies in the late 1990's early 2000's before Roman took over whereas all of City's recent success has all come since the Sheik arrived.

This isn't always the case though. Massimo Moratti clearly loved Inter (his father owned the club during its hey-day with Herrera et al), and yet was fiscally irresponsible and tried to fix every problem by throwing money at it. In 2013, when he could no longer afford to throw money at things to fix them, he realised he wasn't the best person to be in charge of the club any longer and sold up to Thohir.

I'm not sure whether Thohir is a fan or not, but I don't think it really matters. Inter is an extremely popular club in Indonesia, and I think he chose Inter to purchase because he sees it as a valuable asset for what it is, rather than what it can potentially be, if you see where I'm coming from. With the guys in charge of Manchester City, or with Vincent Tan at Cardiff, those guys just see a football club that has enough basic infrastructure and assets which they can build up from to make world class teams through spending like crazy, while I think Thohir appreciates that Inter is already a well established team, and just wants to tinker with it to make it as good as it can possibly be. There's no compulsion to turn it into "his" project. He seems keen to have Inter grow through a more organic method than these other teams at the fore of European football, even those that were once big players on merit without the endless line of credit (I'm looking at you PSG and Monaco).

Of course, it's more difficult that way, but I think Thohir is approaching this the right way, even if he isn't necessarily a true fan of the club. He does seem to respect the club and its fans, and that is the most important thing. Respecting what the club represents even if you aren't a fan, rather than looking at it purely from a bottom line perspective. And it means if Thohir has to sell, the club shouldn't be thrown into complete chaos. Can you imagine what would happen at Man City if those sheikhs decided they were bored and sold off all their sports assets? It would be a complete nightmare. It's an enormous risk to become dependent on a sugar daddy.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Another good example of this line of conversation is Jack Walker at Blackburn (and timely as well as it was 20 years ago this week that Blackburn won the title).

In that case it was a wealthy local businessman who loved his club, putting some money in, employing a good manager, and allowing the club to run itself, consequently reaping the benefits at a time before the Premier League became as commercial and as dominated by a handful of teams as it is now.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

One of the most resilient defensive performances I've seen results in the Mackems staying up. Hopefully Advocaat stays. He had a decent record with such a shite squad. Now time for the Toon to go down, Ellis Short to sell the club to someone who knows how to go forward than stagnate or go backward, and buy players that actually gel together rather than hire mercenaries from the Championship (mostly). Then the year is a success. Hull, please do us a favor and actually win a PL match in May!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Nothing really rejectful in Belgium.
Altough it looks like Club Brugge has not only lost the title but also the second place and the title will be a fight between Gent and Anderlecht after all. Gent have it in their own hands, but the reality is that they haven't been champion ever, so there will defenitely be some nervosity.
Lierse got relegated and i'm glad they got relegated, so it will be a game between Leuven and Eupen for the promotion.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

This wrote:Nothing really rejectful in Belgium.
Altough it looks like Club Brugge has not only lost the title but also the second place and the title will be a fight between Gent and Anderlecht after all. Gent have it in their own hands, but the reality is that they haven't been champion ever, so there will defenitely be some nervosity.
Lierse got relegated and i'm glad they got relegated, so it will be a game between Leuven and Eupen for the promotion.

So Gent made it and is now champion for the first time in their entire history. The last time a team won the championship for the first time was Genk in 1999 and before that Beveren in 1979. They now join a selective list of 15 other teams to have won the league at least once. This is also their debut in the CL group phase. Gongratulations. Overall a deserved title for the Buffalos.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Go_rubens you should have stayed quiet on SD Eibar staying up in January because despite a 3-0 win over Córdoba they have been relegated on head to head record. But on 2015 form they deserve to go down because after a 2-1 win over Getafe on January 10 they lost 15 of their last 20 matches with only 2 wins which is such a sharp decline even for a minnow. Deportivo managed to secure safety in fine style coming from 2-0 down away at Barcelona to draw 2-2. Yeah Barca have won the league and were in emotional mood about Xavi moving on but still that is a fine way to stay in La Liga

Still the fact that Granada stayed up considering they were tonked 9-1 by Real kind of highlights the disparity of the top and the bottom of the league
Last edited by Alextrax52 on 24 May 2015, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

The play-offs for promotion are starting to come to an end in the Football League; Bristol Rovers (grr....) returned the other day to League Two after beating fish-fanciers Grimsby; on the plus side, might be a nice easy away day for Yeovil next season.

Southend also found themselves back in League One after a few seasons away by taking the latest of late equalisers; Wycombe scored a goal in extra time, but Southend got one back with 120 minutes on the clock. Their 'keeper Daniel Bentley managed to turn Sam Wood's effort away during the shootout to give tanning bed botherer Phil Brown a reason to be joyful six years after he helped Hull to safety in the Premier League.

The final two promotions will be decided in the next two days; League One have Preston and Swindon duking it out for the chance to play in the Championship, and then on Monday we've got Middlesbrough and Norwich fighting for returns to the Premier League. Nobody really interesting, then.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Go_rubens you should have stayed quiet on SD Eibar staying up in January because despite a 3-0 win over Córdoba they have been relegated on head to head record. But on 2015 form they deserve to go down having won just 2 games since the turn of the year which is such a sharp decline even for a minnow. Deportivo managed to secure safety in fine style coming from 2-0 down away at Barcelona to draw 2-2. Yeah Barca have won the league and were in emotional mood about Xavi moving on but still that is a fine way to stay in La Liga

Still the fact that Granada stayed up considering they were tonked 9-1 by Real kind of highlights the disparity of the top and the bottom of the league

Totally ridiculous to have a system where Eibar have scored more goals than Granada, conceded less than Granada and Deportivo, and won more games than Granada and Deportivo, but go down.

Happy for Ghent though, its a really nice place, like a less touristy version of Brugge.

Wished Wycombe had gone up as Gareth Ainsworth is very well liked with us Wimbledon folk.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

English and other nations' rules and Eibar stays up. Crying shame. The weekend will be recovered when Newcastle go down tomorrow (yeah I'm going for a Hull win and Newcastle fail to win). Possible, but unlikely.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Man yesterday was crazy in the Bundesliga. Hertha managed to just avoid the relegation playoffs, Dortmund gets a Europa spot due to semi finalist of the Pokal.

Crazy day how Hamburger SV managed to jump a few times.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Go_rubens you should have stayed quiet on SD Eibar staying up in January because despite a 3-0 win over Córdoba they have been relegated on head to head record. But on 2015 form they deserve to go down because after a 2-1 win over Getafe on January 10 they lost 15 of their last 20 matches with only 2 wins which is such a sharp decline even for a minnow. Deportivo managed to secure safety in fine style coming from 2-0 down away at Barcelona to draw 2-2. Yeah Barca have won the league and were in emotional mood about Xavi moving on but still that is a fine way to stay in La Liga

HEY!, It's not over for Eibar yet...

Elche has already achieved salvation in the field but have one week to return 8 million euros to the tax authorities. Otherwise, they will descend to Segunda B.

The deadline to return the money to the tax authorities is set at 29 May, an amount that initially the board of the club was hinted that half. The poisoned legacy of José Sepulcre (former president of the club) may go down the club if the new head of the club, Juan Anguix, fails to close an agreement with the Tax Agency in the near future.

At this point, they plan to try to save face debt passes through contributions from third parties and a guarantee of Swiss bank UBS. This would slow down imminently category because the club has debts to hacienda more often, something the competition statutes punish themselves without hesitation: 'Demotion in case of worsening of defaults or debt application '.

Besides this, the new board of directors shall resolve other debt, which belongs to the three payroll arrears to various players in the first team. This charge amounts to 5 million euros, excluding the premium for salvation promised last season. Failure to rectify the debt, the club would lose a category.
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:HEY!, It's not over for Eibar yet...

Elche has already achieved salvation in the field but have one week to return 8 million euros to the tax authorities. Otherwise, they will descend to Segunda B.

The deadline to return the money to the tax authorities is set at 29 May, an amount that initially the board of the club was hinted that half. The poisoned legacy of José Sepulcre (former president of the club) may go down the club if the new head of the club, Juan Anguix, fails to close an agreement with the Tax Agency in the near future.

At this point, they plan to try to save face debt passes through contributions from third parties and a guarantee of Swiss bank UBS. This would slow down imminently category because the club has debts to hacienda more often, something the competition statutes punish themselves without hesitation: 'Demotion in case of worsening of defaults or debt application '.

Besides this, the new board of directors shall resolve other debt, which belongs to the three payroll arrears to various players in the first team. This charge amounts to 5 million euros, excluding the premium for salvation promised last season. Failure to rectify the debt, the club would lose a category.

Reminds me a lot of Gretna F.C. Local wealthy businessman bankrolls a tiny club to the nation's top division in a fairytale story, then after one season in the top flight they lost their owner and the club bankrupted (although in Gretna's case, the former owner was both broke and ill, he died soon after the club went under).

And 8m euro tax bill is definitely a creditor large enough to take a club of Eibar's size under completely.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Liverpool currently losing 5-0 at Stoke City at HALF TIME. This day keeps getting better, what with the GP result and now this. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

East Londoner wrote:Liverpool currently losing 5-0 at Stoke City at HALF TIME. This day keeps getting better, what with the GP result and now this. :P

6-1 now/
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

East Londoner wrote:Liverpool currently losing 5-0 at Stoke City at HALF TIME. This day keeps getting better, what with the GP result and now this. :P

A long walk home from work turned into an absolute trudge hearing that. I also heard we had no strikers and 7 midfielders as well. If so that tells you everything about what we need to do in the transfer market next season
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Florentino Perez has just made Carlo Ancelotti his newest scapegoat. What, so a trophyless season is dog shite?! Carlo took you guys to La Decima, won the Copa del Rey, and so on and on, yet he still gets his ass set on fire? Is it Carlo Ancelotti's fault that his best players that kept the team going strong got injured?! Modric, James, and Benzema all had injury spells, with Bale and Ronaldo not having fantastic seasons (Ronaldo scored 45 goals but that spell of form towards the end of winter was shocking). Iker Casillas is no longer world class as well. It doesn't take much to beat him nowadays.

This is why I can't stand Real Madrid, especially under Florentino Perez. He, higher club officials, the fans, and everyone else involved all want too much. By no means was this season great, but Ancelotti should never have been sacked because the players who kept the team going strong the most were injured for long spells. Florentino Perez, you sir are the definition of a f***ing idiot. At least you aren't as bad as the Juve that was the main perpetrator of Calciopoli.

On the other hand, with some decent money to spend, I'd love to have Ancelotti at AC Milan. Time to get rid of jokes and bring in decent footballers.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

go_Rubens wrote:This is why I can't stand Real Madrid, especially under Florentino Perez. He, higher club officials, the fans, and everyone else involved all want too much. By no means was this season great, but Ancelotti should never have been sacked because the players who kept the team going strong the most were injured for long spells. Florentino Perez, you sir are the definition of a f***ing idiot. At least you aren't as bad as the Juve that was the main perpetrator of Calciopoli.

I am actually hoping for Real Madrid to run out of managers to hire and hire me instead. I really needed the redundancy payments they offer to be able to P45 a manager.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

It is a great time to be a Palace fan!
They just finished better than ever in my lifetime and got their 2nd best finish altogether, while also having a good mixture of promising youngsters and seasoned veterans playing really well. Having more than survived the 2nd year up, we can build on this and have a neat future.
Go Eagles!
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

A long walk home from work turned into an absolute trudge hearing that. I also heard we had no strikers and 7 midfielders as well. If so that tells you everything about what we need to do in the transfer market next season

With Balotelli refusing to budge at the moment, Liverpool need to bring in two or three forwards in order to force him off the books. Apart from Sturridge who's more injury prone than a blind man in a cotton mill, they've currently got Lambert (who's been linked with a return to the south coast), Fabio Borini (who's always either injured or on loan) and Divock Origi, who's just been included in the worst Ligue 1 side of 2014/5. Seems promising, doesn't it?

Pretty sure Rodgers could get Grant Holt on a free transfer if he wanted...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Rabbi Gordon wrote:It is a great time to be a Palace fan!
They just finished better than ever in my lifetime and got their 2nd best finish altogether, while also having a good mixture of promising youngsters and seasoned veterans playing really well. Having more than survived the 2nd year up, we can build on this and have a neat future.
Go Eagles!

"Crystal Palace: the Team Of The Twenties"...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
AdrianBelmonte_

DanielPT wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:This is why I can't stand Real Madrid, especially under Florentino Perez. He, higher club officials, the fans, and everyone else involved all want too much. By no means was this season great, but Ancelotti should never have been sacked because the players who kept the team going strong the most were injured for long spells. Florentino Perez, you sir are the definition of a f***ing idiot. At least you aren't as bad as the Juve that was the main perpetrator of Calciopoli.

I am actually hoping for Real Madrid to run out of managers to hire and hire me instead. I really needed the redundancy payments they offer to be able to P45 a manager.

Even worse, they are about to hire Rafa Benítez, that has been eliminated by Athletic Bilbao on UCL playoffs, by Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (!!!!!) on UEL semifinals and failed to qualify the team for next season's Champions League as they lost 2-4 against Lazio today

I can't wait to see Real Madrid getting knocked out on Copa Del Rey by La Hoya Lorca, on Champions League knockout stage by Arsenal and finishing 5th on La Liga, all under Benítez management
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Ataxia wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

With Balotelli refusing to budge at the moment, Liverpool need to bring in two or three forwards in order to force him off the books. Apart from Sturridge who's more injury prone than a blind man in a cotton mill, they've currently got Lambert (who's been linked with a return to the south coast), Fabio Borini (who's always either injured or on loan) and Divock Origi, who's just been included in the worst Ligue 1 side of 2014/5. Seems promising, doesn't it?

Pretty sure Rodgers could get Grant Holt on a free transfer if he wanted...

What makes these woes even worse is that our top scorer this season was our departing captain Steven Gerrard with 13 and our 2nd top scorer was Raheem "money grabber" Sterling on 11. Not to mention that several leading strikers of other clubs (Austin Ings Benteke) scored more than our whole strike force did as well. Just confirms what I said earlier
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Liverpool shouldn't sign Christian Benteke unless Klopp comes in to replace Rodgers. Benteke is top class feeding off crosses. Part of Villa's resurgence was Sherwood noticing this trait, so the team was built around him, with plenty of crosses into the box. Rodgers doesn't really play with a style that would complement Benteke, playing on the ground much moreso than Villa. I'm not saying Rodgers can't adapt, but he's already had a hard enough time finding a system to get goals out of his strikers. If he goes to Liverpool under Rodgers, I fear another striker failure.

If Klopp comes in, then go for him. One of Dortmund's biggest issues this season was lacking a forward who was dominant in the air. Klopp's side before Lewandowski left was always whipping in crosses to Lewandowski, because he could dominate the air and could control the ball and get a shot away if needed, or just head the ball at goal. With Ciro Immobile, that doesn't work. Adrian Ramos wasn't the answer either. As a result, they had goal-scoring problems. Immobile is a technical striker with good feet and a great shot. Ramos was just lacking for one of Europe's best clubs. Along with terrible defending, the bottom of the Bundesliga at Christmas was a justified outcome.

Liverpool would already make a big improvement in Danny Ings. He's young, with a bright future, and is better suited to Rodger's style. He's got great pace and can hold up the ball well. I also think Liverpool need to get their hands on Luciano Vietto, who really looks like a young Agüero. He'll take a shot anywhere and can dribble in an out of defenders well. Players like Coutinho and Sterling have already been able to do this and were crucial being able to do so. Having a forward of similar qualities would be some nice icing on the cake considering how bad Liverpool's strike force has been. Also, both of them have good numbers to show for it, with Vietto also being great in the assist charts.

Also, Liverpool need new defenders and a holding midfielder. Dejan Lovren was a joke repeatedly told. Moreno can't mark attackers to save his life (Juan Mata gave him nightmares...). Johnson needs to go. Can was okay, but shaky. Liverpool need quality signings at the back to prevent the often occuring farce that was their defending. Skrtel was probably the only player back there who looked worthy of staying in the team.

One last thing to say to Liverpool, good luck getting the quality signings you want as long as Rodgers stays. He's not won anything in his 3 year tenure at the club. Foreign players will hear the name Brendan Rodgers and ask "Who?!" With Jurgen Klopp, you have a world class manager who any player will probably recognize. If Rodgers can convince the players they need to sign for the Reds, then good job. But that's if he stays. If Klopp wasn't on the market, Rodgers deserves another season. But it's time for the board to act methinks.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

go_Rubens wrote:Liverpool shouldn't sign Christian Benteke unless Klopp comes in to replace Rodgers. Benteke is top class feeding off crosses. Part of Villa's resurgence was Sherwood noticing this trait, so the team was built around him, with plenty of crosses into the box. Rodgers doesn't really play with a style that would complement Benteke, playing on the ground much moreso than Villa. I'm not saying Rodgers can't adapt, but he's already had a hard enough time finding a system to get goals out of his strikers. If he goes to Liverpool under Rodgers, I fear another striker failure.

If Klopp comes in, then go for him. One of Dortmund's biggest issues this season was lacking a forward who was dominant in the air. Klopp's side before Lewandowski left was always whipping in crosses to Lewandowski, because he could dominate the air and could control the ball and get a shot away if needed, or just head the ball at goal. With Ciro Immobile, that doesn't work. Adrian Ramos wasn't the answer either. As a result, they had goal-scoring problems. Immobile is a technical striker with good feet and a great shot. Ramos was just lacking for one of Europe's best clubs. Along with terrible defending, the bottom of the Bundesliga at Christmas was a justified outcome.

Liverpool would already make a big improvement in Danny Ings. He's young, with a bright future, and is better suited to Rodger's style. He's got great pace and can hold up the ball well. I also think Liverpool need to get their hands on Luciano Vietto, who really looks like a young Agüero. He'll take a shot anywhere and can dribble in an out of defenders well. Players like Coutinho and Sterling have already been able to do this and were crucial being able to do so. Having a forward of similar qualities would be some nice icing on the cake considering how bad Liverpool's strike force has been. Also, both of them have good numbers to show for it, with Vietto also being great in the assist charts.

Also, Liverpool need new defenders and a holding midfielder. Dejan Lovren was a joke repeatedly told. Moreno can't mark attackers to save his life (Juan Mata gave him nightmares...). Johnson needs to go. Can was okay, but shaky. Liverpool need quality signings at the back to prevent the often occuring farce that was their defending. Skrtel was probably the only player back there who looked worthy of staying in the team.

One last thing to say to Liverpool, good luck getting the quality signings you want as long as Rodgers stays. He's not won anything in his 3 year tenure at the club. Foreign players will hear the name Brendan Rodgers and ask "Who?!" With Jurgen Klopp, you have a world class manager who any player will probably recognize. If Rodgers can convince the players they need to sign for the Reds, then good job. But that's if he stays. If Klopp wasn't on the market, Rodgers deserves another season. But it's time for the board to act methinks.

Except Klopp won't be coming in as the news stories today have confirmed he is taking a break from Football for the time being
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Yeah, wrote the post before I read the news. The last thing Liverpool need is a striker to fail again and I don't see Liverpool getting the best out of him without playing like the current Aston Villa side. Danny Ings and Vietto should be brought in instead. If Liverpool can discover a way to keep Daniel Sturridge fit then there's hope. Ings should go to Tottenham for me. He may be a good backup to Harry Kane, presuming Kane is actually the real deal instead of a one-season wonder. By all means, he's better than bloody Adebayor and Soldado.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Sepp Blatter will be resigning from FIFA.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... -president

OOOOOHHHH YEEEEAAAAHHHHH.
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Well. That was unexpected.

Hey Bernie, look at what cool kids are doing. Hint Hint.

(And no, I don't think this'll change FIFA overnight, nor would Bernie's departure improve F1 on the spot).
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

That confirms it, Blatter must have received an offer to join the FIA.
AdrianBelmonte_

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:HEY!, It's not over for Eibar yet...

AAAAAAAND, as i predicted, Elche will be relegated this Thursday

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/el ... elche.html (on spanish)
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Just watched a tape of the CL final. Brilliant performance from both sides, but one side was only just more brilliant than the other. Congrats Barça, a 4th in 10 years. Juventus really kept Messi quiet, but if you keep Messi quiet, then Suárez and Neymar feed on their prey. Perhaps the greatest forward 3 ever? They're unstoppable!

Elche CF has been relegated, and it's not a surprise. They paid the price for their tax debts. So, to the delight of millions around the world, Eibar stays up! Besides, they were originally screwed over by the stupid head to head record, so now people don't have to complain about Eibar going down.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool