Unusual F1 Stats

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
DemocalypseNow

Re: Unusual F1 Stats

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Aguaman wrote:Sato's super Super Aguri move was like the only thing I remember from that race.

And they even had fans at the track celebrating! I still want one of the Super Aguri bamboo hats they had :D
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
MrMG

Post by MrMG »

Might sound a bit morbid, but is 1995 the earliest F1 season where every driver who participated is still alive today?
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

MadGaz85 wrote:Might sound a bit morbid, but is 1995 the earliest F1 season where every driver who participated is still alive today?

Yes. It's weird thinking that four drivers from the previous season are no longer with us :(
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

MadGaz85 wrote:Might sound a bit morbid, but is 1995 the earliest F1 season where every driver who participated is still alive today?

You're right. Couldn't remember whether Alboreto was involved that year at first, but he wasn't.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

I stared at my screen for five minutes who was number 4, to realise De Cesaris actually competed in 94.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

I am thankfull that it is 1995 and not 2007 or even this year.....
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Is this Canadian GP the first where two Finns have qualified on the same row?
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Now Alonso is the sole driver who failed to score a point in this year (excluding Manor). Worst season for the Spaniard since his debut in 2001 season.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Dj_bereta wrote:Now Alonso is the sole driver who failed to score a point in this year (excluding Manor). Worst season for the Spaniard since his debut in 2001 season.

Magnussen did not score when he stood in for Alonso at Melbourne. But they drove essentially the same car (driver numbers aside), so still only three cars have not scored points so far! :D
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Bobby Doorknobs

Izzyeviel wrote:Is this Canadian GP the first where two Finns have qualified on the same row?

I'm afraid not. That was Hakkinen and Lehto sharing the second row in Spain 1994. The next time it happened was Canada 2001 with Raikkonen and Hakkinen sharing the fourth row. It also happened several times with Kovalainen and Raikkonen, sharing the eighth row in Monaco 2007 and the second row in Belgium 2008, as well as Italy 2009 and the ninth row in Australia 2012 (only after Pérez served a grid penalty). Raikkonen was ahead in the latter two events. This isn't even the first time for Raikkonen and Bottas, as they shared the fourth row in Singapore last year with Raikkonen ahead and even this year they shared the third row in China and would have shared the same row in Australia were it not for Bottas' injury.

Yes, I did take the time to find that out :ugeek:
#FreeGonzo
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Thinking of it, we have had so many close calls since then - obviously the bottom two in this list are still in bad shape.

Häkkinen - F1 accident, Adelaide 1995
Zanardi - CART accident, Lausitzring 2001
da Matta - CART accident, Elkhart Lake 2006
Massa - F1 accident, Hungaroring 2009
Kubica - rally accident, Italy 2011
Schumacher - skiing accident, France 2013
Bianchi - F1 accident, Suzuka 2014
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Bleu wrote:

Thinking of it, we have had so many close calls since then - obviously the bottom two in this list are still in bad shape.

One that came immediately to mind for me was Ralf Schumacher's USA crash in 2004. They definitely should have red-flagged that one and restarted it when they knew he was ok. With his brother in the field as well, mind.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Bleu wrote:

David Coulthard has to be added to this list. He was in a plane crash in 2000 which claimed the lives of the pilot and co-pilot.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
MrMG

Post by MrMG »

Burti probably could be added to the list too. His 2001 crash left him a severe concussion and pretty much ended his F1 career.

Plus by looking at the picture of his crash helmet after the accident, it's amazing that this was his only injury sustained!
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

If Coulthard's count, then add "Pedro Diniz - F1 accident, 1999 Nürburgring" to this list.
He escaped relatively unhurt, but it was entirely by chance, that he didn't get crushed.
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

I tried to list only cases where driver suffered injuries serious enough to be in danger - basically ignoring serious incidents with lucky, injury-free escapes.
Bobby Doorknobs

Countries by driver unrejectifications

Argentina - 6/25 (24%)
Australia - 5/17 (29.4%)
Austria - 6/16 (37.5%)
Belgium - 8/23 (34.8%)*
Brazil - 15/31 (48.4%)
Canada - 2/13 (15.4%)
Chile - 1/1 (100%)
Colombia - 1/3 (33.3%)
Czech Republic - 0/1 (0%)
Denmark - 1/5 (20%)
East Germany - 0/4 (0%)
Finland - 7/9 (77.8%)
France - 28/70 (40%)
(West) Germany - 18/51 (35.3%)
Hungary - 0/1 (0%)
India - 1/2 (50%)
Ireland - 1/5 (20%)
Italy - 40/98 (40.8%)
Japan - 5/20 (25%)
Liechtenstein - 0/1 (0%)
Malaysia - 0/1 (0%)
Mexico - 4/6 (66.7%)
Monaco - 1/3 (33.3%)
Morocco - 0/1 (0%)
Netherlands - 2/16 (12.5%)
New Zealand - 4/8 (50%)
Poland - 1/1 (100%)
Portugal - 1/5 (20%)
Rhodesia - 1/5 (20%)
Russia - 2/2 (100%)
South Africa - 2/23 (8.7%)
Spain - 5/15 (33.3%)
Sweden - 5/10 (50%)
Switzerland - 6/24 (25%)
Thailand - 1/1 (100%)
United Kingdom - 50/160 (31.3%)
United States - 43/157 (27.4%)**
Uruguay - 0/4 (0%)
Venezuela - 1/3 (33.3%)
Total - 274/841 (32.6%)***

* Includes Bertrand Gachot, who raced under the Belgian flag at time of unrejectification
** Includes Indy 500 drivers
*** There are differing conclusions on how many F1 drivers there have been. Wikipedia was used for the above total.
#FreeGonzo
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

France is better than I expected.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

By the looks of it, South-Africa has the most reject spirit written all over them. Despite their local entrants every year, its somewhat surprising very few of these drivers could get their big break, or even tried to get their break.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:By the looks of it, South-Africa has the most reject spirit written all over them. Despite their local entrants every year, its somewhat surprising very few of these drivers could get their big break, or even tried to get their break.

With such a low rate of unrejectification, it's maybe more surprising/unlikely that one of them went on to become a WDC...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
razta

Post by razta »

Here's a stat!

The last time someone one from Pole in Silverstone was 2009 - Seb Vettel.
Since then, Pole hasn't really been a good place to start from.
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Bertrand Gachot and Roberto Moreno both set their only F1 fastest race laps in the race before they were replaced in their team by Michael Schumacher. In consecutive races.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

I've thinking some weird trends here but the most interesting races in V6T era now is when...... a car flipped during race weekend :shock:

2014 Bahrain GP
2014 German GP
and now 2015 Hungarian GP

although some other doesn't need flips, but still
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Bobby Doorknobs

AxelP800 wrote:I've thinking some weird trends here but the most interesting races in V6T era now is when...... a car flipped during race weekend :shock:

2014 Bahrain GP
2014 German GP

Well "interesting" is a very subjective term. For example, I thought Hungary and Monaco 2014 were more interesting than Germany and I don't remember any car flipping in either of those two races ;)
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

Apologies for double-posting, but on a different note Max Verstappen is the second driver ever to unrejectify himself on the Hungaroring, the first being his father Jos.
#FreeGonzo
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Simtek wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:I've thinking some weird trends here but the most interesting races in V6T era now is when...... a car flipped during race weekend :shock:

2014 Bahrain GP
2014 German GP

Well "interesting" is a very subjective term. For example, I thought Hungary and Monaco 2014 were more interesting than Germany and I don't remember any car flipping in either of those two races ;)

Yes it is, but the flips does help a bit.

Simtek wrote:Apologies for double-posting, but on a different note Max Verstappen is the second driver ever to unrejectify himself on the Hungaroring, the first being his father Jos.

^^^^^
tommykl has a stroke
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Was that the first time we've seen three drivers from the Red Bull Academy on the podium? Dr Marko must have needed a cold shower after that.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Bobby Doorknobs

AustralianStig wrote:Was that the first time we've seen three drivers from the Red Bull Academy on the podium? Dr Marko must have needed a cold shower after that.

Indeed it was, well spotted :)
#FreeGonzo
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Simtek wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:Was that the first time we've seen three drivers from the Red Bull Academy on the podium? Dr Marko must have needed a cold shower after that.

Indeed it was, well spotted :)

Well top 4 are from RedBull juniors
tommykl has a stroke
Bobby Doorknobs

Was Hungary the first time Vettel won two races with the same helmet design?
#FreeGonzo
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

Simtek wrote:Was Hungary the first time Vettel won two races with the same helmet design?

I noticed in Hungary the stripes of the flag part of the helmet had a chromed effect on it but i'm not sure if they did have this in Malaysia, I would like to see pictures to compare, but I think Seb has been subtly changing the design of his helmet over the course of the season
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

On a related aside, does Seb have the same few helmets repainted each year, or does he have a brand new helmet each race? How often do helmets get replaced?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tBone

Post by tBone »

I was thinking lately, there is only one driver I can name who won a World Championship F1 race in every year he competed: Lewis Hamilton.

Lots of others are quite close: Vettel only didn't win a single race in 2007 and 2014, Fangio in 1958, Nino Farina in 1955 and so on. Most later drivers missed out on their debut season(s), because they debuted in less capable cars.

Have I missed someone or should Lewis stop soon enough to keep this unique statistic?
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

tBone wrote:I was thinking lately, there is only one driver I can name who won a World Championship F1 race in every year he competed: Lewis Hamilton.

Lots of others are quite close: Vettel only didn't win a single race in 2007 and 2014, Fangio in 1958, Nino Farina in 1955 and so on. Most later drivers missed out on their debut season(s), because they debuted in less capable cars.

Have I missed someone or should Lewis stop soon enough to keep this unique statistic?

Hmm. I wonder how many drivers one could name who have been in the best or second-best car on the grid every season of their career, full-stop, however? Even in 2009, McLaren's time in the doldrums was averted by Germany, where they were fighting for podiums and wins for the majority of the season thereon in.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

tBone wrote:I was thinking lately, there is only one driver I can name who won a World Championship F1 race in every year he competed: Lewis Hamilton.

Nope, you didn't miss anybody. Though I feel that Lewis doesn't deserve this distinction.
Was the BRM flat 16 more reliable, he wouldn't have it, was Fangio actually caring about 1958, he wouldn't have it.
Asides those you mentioned, JACKIE STEWART, Luigi Fagioli and Gunnar Nilsson are really close too.
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Rabbi Gordon wrote:

Nope, you didn't miss anybody. Though I feel that Lewis doesn't deserve this distinction.
Was the BRM flat 16 more reliable, he wouldn't have it, was Fangio actually caring about 1958, he wouldn't have it.
Asides those you mentioned, JACKIE STEWART, Luigi Fagioli and Gunnar Nilsson are really close too.

I'm not sure why Lewis Hamilton doesn't deserve this distinction. One might argue that he didn't graduate to an F1 seat with McLaren on merit - though his junior racing career was better than Gary Paffett's, Pedro de la Rosa was a solid but unspectacular driver - but since then, his ability to be in a race-winning car each season is indicative of good career management, and he managed to win in some not-so-great (though admittedly never appalling) cars (the 2009 McLaren springs to mind) and he's been so good at qualifying (I believe he also has a pole from every season) that he puts himself in a good position to win races.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

One related fact I read a while ago, and which I believe continues to hold true, is that Jenson Button has never had a teammate win a race in a season in which he too has not won a race. In other words, whenever Jenson has been in a race-winning chassis, he has managed to win a race.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

After Maldonado's penalty-ridden race, I was thinking that 3 is quite a lot of penalties to accumulate in one race! But has anybody ever accumulated more? Either over the race weekend or just in the race itself, I wonder what the most penalties anyone has accumulated at one time is :D
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

Rob Dylan wrote:After Maldonado's penalty-ridden race, I was thinking that 3 is quite a lot of penalties to accumulate in one race! But has anybody ever accumulated more? Either over the race weekend or just in the race itself, I wonder what the most penalties anyone has accumulated at one time is :D

Button and Alonso in Canada.....
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Touché, touché!