McLaren's new livery

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Shizuka

McLaren's new livery

Post by Shizuka »

McLaren just showed their new livery, which reminds me of HRT. Discuss :)

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
DemocalypseNow

Re: McLaren's new livery

Post by DemocalypseNow »

The 'designs' (i.e. the red) on the car look like something a boy racer would stick on his Corsa :facepalm:

This is horrendous. The old one was at least bland and inoffensive. But this one genuinely looks terrible. That crap on the upper sidepods, why have they taken a warp tool to the company logo? Really silly stuff here.

If anything, this livery looks very un-McLaren, given how amateurish it appears.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

And I have no idea why they couldn't put Honda on the rear wing, which was pretty much the trend in the 00 years with BAR/Honda and Super Aguri.

I agree, this livery looks very bland. :roll:

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I love it.

*runs for cover*
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Barftastic. :mrgreen:

The old one was more simple and a lot better looking...
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

I'm sure this was done behind Ron's back, this seems kinda crazy and not at all the super clean and bland look I came to expect from anything related to him :D
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

So... Same livery pretty much, except it has now a McLaren arrow in the middle of the front part of the car?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

You couldn't really read any of the sponsor logos with the old colour scheme of black on chrome. I guess that's why they had to change it.

The new colour scheme is not a beauty (just yet) but it does a better job at representing the sponsors.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I actually like this new Hispa... I mean, McLaren livery. It reminds me of McLa... I, mean, Hispania days of old.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Francis23

Post by Francis23 »

I like it too, but if only they replaced the black/gun metal with white!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

So its the same......
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
LeytonHouse

Post by LeytonHouse »

Oh bravo McLaren, bravo. *slow claps* :facepalm:
"A GP2 car is faster than my Caterham" - Kamui Kobayashi (Pre-season testing 2014)
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Salamander wrote:I really hate McLaren now. I hate how they have 4 of the world's best drivers on their books and a car-engine combo that's barely worth Marcus Ericsson's time. I hate how everything about the team screams corporate facelessness more than even Toyota did. I hate how the team has had brilliant lineups, technical staff, and no real cash issues, and the only thing they have to show since the turn of the millennium is one single Driver's Championship. And I hate how they felt the need to put a load of PR bullshit into what is the dullest livery on the grid by miles.

Seriously, bathplug McLaren.

So it's not the years of underacheivement or the work-in-progress Honda engine, it's the fact that they made a livery that you don't really like that's caused you to kick off? Touch shallow, isn't it? Especially since you were having a good old moan the other day about the previous livery...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Ataxia wrote:
Salamander wrote:I really hate McLaren now. I hate how they have 4 of the world's best drivers on their books and a car-engine combo that's barely worth Marcus Ericsson's time. I hate how everything about the team screams corporate facelessness more than even Toyota did. I hate how the team has had brilliant lineups, technical staff, and no real cash issues, and the only thing they have to show since the turn of the millennium is one single Driver's Championship. And I hate how they felt the need to put a load of PR bullshit into what is the dullest livery on the grid by miles.

So it's not the years of underacheivement or the work-in-progress Honda engine, it's the fact that they made a livery that you don't really like that's caused you to kick off? Touch shallow, isn't it? Especially since you were having a good old moan the other day about the previous livery...

More like the straw that broke the camel's back. Though it wasn't the livery that did me in, it was the godawful PR statement.

Though to be fair, maybe this belongs more in the Rantbox.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I like it as well. Nice colour, big improvement, and a bit different for McLaren.

I do agree that all the crap around the change in livery was totally unnecessary though.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

I like it, although the red is a bit err.. brilliant. Maybe it'll look duller on track.
mario

Post by mario »

Enforcer wrote:I like it, although the red is a bit err.. brilliant. Maybe it'll look duller on track.

I suspect that it probably would look duller on track - a number of teams have tended to make the highlights of their liveries a little brighter so they show up better on a TV camera (not to mention the fact that the studio is probably much brighter than most circuits would be in reality).

One example of that is the classic Marlboro livery that McLaren ran in the 1980's and 1990's - the red sections of the livery had a slight orange hint to them so that, once filtered through a television camera lens from a distance, it would then appear to be the right shade of red for your average TV viewer.

In fact, one journalist has already posted a few pictures that show that, in the right lighting conditions, those red streaks actually look more like orange streaks instead:

It cannot be denied that this new livery has more than a hint of HRT's old livery, especially given that both HRT and this livery had a similar red streak tracing the edge of the nose cone. It's certainly the comparison that most people seem to be making these days (and for more than one reason)...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

It's... sort of okay. Except for the top of the sidepods being unbelievably awful.

I liked the old one better.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

mario wrote:
Enforcer wrote:I like it, although the red is a bit err.. brilliant. Maybe it'll look duller on track.

I suspect that it probably would look duller on track - a number of teams have tended to make the highlights of their liveries a little brighter so they show up better on a TV camera (not to mention the fact that the studio is probably much brighter than most circuits would be in reality).

One example of that is the classic Marlboro livery that McLaren ran in the 1980's and 1990's - the red sections of the livery had a slight orange hint to them so that, once filtered through a television camera lens from a distance, it would then appear to be the right shade of red for your average TV viewer.

In fact, one journalist has already posted a few pictures that show that, in the right lighting conditions, those red streaks actually look more like orange streaks instead:

It cannot be denied that this new livery has more than a hint of HRT's old livery, especially given that both HRT and this livery had a similar red streak tracing the edge of the nose cone. It's certainly the comparison that most people seem to be making these days (and for more than one reason)...
First time I saw the old Marlboro livery for real I was surprised at how bright it was - that kind of dayglo red/pink that the Dynorod vans had (no plumbing jokes please). On the telly it just looked bright red.
flattyre

Post by flattyre »

Spectoremg wrote:First time I saw the old Marlboro livery for real I was surprised at how bright it was - that kind of dayglo red/pink that the Dynorod vans had (no plumbing jokes please). On the telly it just looked bright red.

You mean kind of a fluorescent colour? I only say that, because that also happened with the Spyker back in 2007... they wanted their livery to be pure orange, to represent the Netherlands, and they wanted the brightest orange possible. But, the cameras couldn't capture the "true" colour, so it ended up looking red in photos! Needless to say they, swiftly changed it to the livery we all remember :p

AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Is that you?

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Even the team name is on the rear wing! The livery is similar down to a tee! :D

tBone

Post by tBone »

Wouldn't it be great if there would be the text "This would be a COOL SPOT" on McLaren's sidepods next year? :D
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Ataxia wrote:

I understand what your saying but I'm inclined to agree with Salamander. If the car isn't quick you could at least have a splash of colour on the car or have a few personalities within the team. If F1 teams were international football clubs McLaren would be the England team. Corporate professionalism is sucking the colour out the sport and McLaren are THE prime example of that
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Biscione wrote:The 'designs' (i.e. the red) on the car look like something a boy racer would stick on his Corsa :facepalm:

Pretty much or like how some 10 year old would design his car in a video game.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Looks too much like the Force India for me. Maybe they secretly want Sergio Perez back with him now driving for FI. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Here is a look at the Mclaren out in natural daylight:

It looks a bit more...collected than it looked in the art studio. Some color schemes don't look good in the showroom but look better on track. At least it stands out somewhat more now that they ditched the silver :)
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I think it's actually my new favourite livery for this season! :shock:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

After Friday practice, I can say the new nose looks pretty cool in motion. Top of the sidepods still awful except in that one favourable angle the picture shows.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Is it me or does that make the McLaren look like it has two nosecones?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

dinizintheoven wrote:Is it me or does that make the McLaren look like it has two nosecones?

yeah the upper red/orange bit makes it look like that....
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Not liking the red band halfway up the nose - it sucks.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

WeirdKerr wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:Is it me or does that make the McLaren look like it has two nosecones?

yeah the upper red/orange bit makes it look like that....

So they've managed to make it look like its got a stepped nosecone when it doesn't. :facepalm:
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I actually like what's going on with the sidepods... they need more of that orange for it to work, though. The new number font is so bad I nominated it for ROTR for Spain...

At least it doesn't look like the Force India...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.