The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
AdrianBelmonte_

Re: The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Menawhile In Spain Realmadridwinslol against Eibar, Barça and Atlético draw their matches against Sevilla and Málaga, Celta smashed Rayo Vallecano 6-1, this on the top flight, on Segunda, Betis is leading despite they not played yet, Sporting Gijón took second place, the fight for 6th place is becoming harder and harder between Zaragoza, Llagostera (!!???!!), Alavés and Ponferradina, bottom of the table, Barça B is dead last
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

In Italy, Parma have taken the surprise result of the season so far, defeating Juventus 1-0 at home. They played well enough that Juve's Twitter feed had a tweet which read something along the lines of "We deserved to lose." :lol: Yeah, let's say about 6 or 7 more Scudetto lost and the world will be rid of more adversity.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

go_Rubens wrote:In Italy, Parma have taken the surprise result of the season so far, defeating Juventus 1-0 at home. They played well enough that Juve's Twitter feed had a tweet which read something along the lines of "We deserved to lose." :lol: Yeah, let's say about 6 or 7 more Scudetto lost and the world will be rid of more adversity.

Now that's a shock if ever I saw one.

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Menawhile In Spain Realmadridwinslol against Eibar, Barça and Atlético draw their matches against Sevilla and Málaga, Celta smashed Rayo Vallecano 6-1, this on the top flight, on Segunda, Betis is leading despite they not played yet, Sporting Gijón took second place, the fight for 6th place is becoming harder and harder between Zaragoza, Llagostera (!!???!!), Alavés and Ponferradina, bottom of the table, Barça B is dead last

Llagostera have a 1,500 capacity stadium (although they play at a 6,000 capacity stadium by league rules)! And lol at Barca Rejects.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
AdrianBelmonte_

watka wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Menawhile In Spain Realmadridwinslol against Eibar, Barça and Atlético draw their matches against Sevilla and Málaga, Celta smashed Rayo Vallecano 6-1, this on the top flight, on Segunda, Betis is leading despite they not played yet, Sporting Gijón took second place, the fight for 6th place is becoming harder and harder between Zaragoza, Llagostera (!!???!!), Alavés and Ponferradina, bottom of the table, Barça B is dead last

Llagostera have a 1,500 capacity stadium (although they play at a 6,000 capacity stadium by league rules)! And lol at Barca Rejects.

And the town have a population of 8.500, that means if they get promotion to La Liga they will destroy the Eibar record
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Well, everyone was saying Bayern Munich would win the CL. Yeah, they still have to face Porto at the Allianz Arena, but this is a rather pathetic position to be in now. Rarely has Pep's side been embarrassed like this this year. I can only think of Wolfburg's 4-1 smashing by Munich standards being as embarrassing as this. But this time their existence in the CL is threatened unlike an 11 point lead.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
AdrianBelmonte_

go_Rubens wrote:Well, everyone was saying Bayern Munich would win the CL. Yeah, they still have to face Porto at the Allianz Arena, but this is a rather pathetic position to be in now. Rarely has Pep's side been embarrassed like this this year. I can only think of Wolfburg's 4-1 smashing by Munich standards being as embarrassing as this. But this time their existence in the CL is threatened unlike an 11 point lead.

For my standards, the 1-1 draw against United last year was as rejectful as this defeat
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

We played our best game of the season against Bayern. And Bayern's defense just become well, worthy of a middle table team. We're a step closer to the semi-finals, but we're still 90 minutes away from it. But I believe it.

#SomosPorto

:P
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Meanwhile in the United Counties League Division One: Woodford United's status as Northamptonshire's most rejectful team over the last two seasons has been well and truly eradicated, as they're sitting 14th in the table on a respectable 42 points. This time last year as they managed a mere 3 points and an even worse goal difference than the previous season's cataclysmic disaster I was wondering which Northamptonshire Sunday League they'd be relegated to... but somehow they were given a reprieve. Not so Stewarts & Lloyds Corby, who have taken over Woodford's catalogue of disaster, scored one solitary point all season and will definitely be falling through the trap door into the footballing abyss.

In higher league placings, what are Bournemouth doing at the top of the second division? Where did they come from?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Uhh, Dorset? :P
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

We lost. Sadly. :(

Well, time to recover energies for Benfica next! We can do it!
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
AdrianBelmonte_

Today is THE DAY, WE HAVE TO SCORE A GOAL, i don't care if that goal is scored by Griezmann, Koke or even Oblak, WE HAVE TO SCORE, COME ON ATLETI

JUGADORES, JUGADORES, HEMOS VENIDO A GANAR, QUE SE ENTEREN LOS VIKINGOS QUIEN MANDA EN LA CAPITAL
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
AdrianBelmonte_

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Today is THE DAY, WE HAVE TO SCORE A GOAL, i don't care if that goal is scored by Griezmann, Koke or even Oblak, WE HAVE TO SCORE, COME ON ATLETI

JUGADORES, JUGADORES, HEMOS VENIDO A GANAR, QUE SE ENTEREN LOS VIKINGOS QUIEN MANDA EN LA CAPITAL

... :facepalm:
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:

... :facepalm:[/quote]
There there.

On an unrelated note: champions! Stvv back to the Jupiler Pro League, woohoo! Looking forward to another year of winning against the top 5 but losing all other games!

On another note, PSV lost its sponsor Philips, and that is significant, because the team was kind of created by the Philips factory 102 years ago.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

This wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:

... :facepalm:

There there.

On an unrelated note: champions! Stvv back to the Jupiler Pro League, woohoo! Looking forward to another year of winning against the top 5 but losing all other games!

On another note, PSV lost its sponsor Philips, and that is significant, because the team was kind of created by the Philips factory 102 years ago.[/quote]

I guess they'll have to be just plain SV Eindhoven now.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

I watched the second half of Atlético vs Real. Dreadful match in the second half. Real Madrid outclassed Atlético today and the result is deserved. If Real played this well against one of the best defenses in all the world without some of their top players (Modric, Bale, Benzema to name a few), then they have a very real chance of making the final. Bayern at this point need their stars back, no matter who they're drawn up against. Whatever happens, Juventus is screwed, so that makes me happy :P In all honesty, I'm glad an Italian team has made the semifinal for the first time since Inter won the whole thing. At the moment, the EPL doesn't deserve 4 CL spots.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Plenty of happiness within the town of Waford, who have witnessed their club secure automatic promotion for the first time in the PL era. Good on them. If Bouremouth win tomorrow, they'll pretty much be safe for promotion, unless Middlesbrough manage to overcome the huge GD deficit of what could be at least 17. Bournemouth have never reached the top flight in their 125 year history, and I hope to see a completely fresh face in the top flight. Many English people could probably say the same.

Meanwhile in the PL, Leicester have managed to piece together 4 wins in a row, with 2 clean sheets in a row as well. Their run in home is easy compared to the rest of the warriors of the relegation battle. Unfortunately for my club Sunderland, it makes our chances of survival tough. Unless Hull falter horribly or Newcastle fail to win a match before the end of the season, which is perfectly possible with the dearth of talent on and off the pitch, we're probably out where we belong. We should have picked up Sherwood while we could. Advocaat was not the answer. One win and it was the derby. Typical... As long as Benteke keeps scoring, Villa are pretty much safe. Burnley finally look dispirited and Sean Dyche can't seem to turn it around. The relegation zone will probably be Burnley, QPR, and Sunderland.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Meanwhile in the JPL: I already mentioned about how Cercle, Lierse and the JPL itself went to court against Mouscron getting a license. Then Mouscron went to public court against this, and now Cercle and Lierse are going to court because Mouscron went to a public court.
Now the reason they want Mouscron out is less spectacular as you'd imagine: Mouscron have a budget of only 4M, which according to Cercle, Lierse and the Pro League is not enough to be seriously competing. But ehm, whatever, welcome in Belgium, where going to court seems to be daily routine of every man and his dog.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

TIL Gary Bloom retrained as a Psychotherapist. Apparently commentating wasn't paying the bills anymore! Shame that. I felt sorry for him getting the graveyard shift, solo no less, at the last World Cup with the BBC. He's better than that.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Lokeren and ex-Cercle Brugge defender Gregory Mertens is in a critical condition after collapsing during a reserve game yesterday. Seems to be a worryingly regular occurrence to see players with heart conditions having trouble on the pitch. I wish him recovery and thoughts are with his family.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32492598
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

watka wrote:Lokeren and ex-Cercle Brugge defender Gregory Mertens is in a critical condition after collapsing during a reserve game yesterday. Seems to be a worryingly regular occurrence to see players with heart conditions having trouble on the pitch. I wish him recovery and thoughts are with his family.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32492598

UEFA needs to beef up the minimum level of tests required to pass a medical. FIGC kicked tests for these kind of conditions up to 11 after the Morosini tragedy, to a level beyond the UEFA requirement, and quite a few players have been found to have heart issues that wouldn't have been detected through standard testing.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Mentioning Cercle, they are now offially relegated to the Proximus League (for once using the official name of the second division) Lierse has won Play-Off 3 and will now Face Lommel, Eupen and Leuven for one spot. Because i don't like Lierse, i'm supporting the other teams.
And from 2016-2017, second division will only have 8 teams, as there will be an official divide between professional football and amateur football. Teams have to get a big enough infrastructure and budget to be allowed. Still, some teams will be left out, and some of them might be big names.

About the Mertens thing, it especially came as a shock, as no similar things have happened recently in Belgium. Let's hope he gets better. Altough it currently doesn't look good.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Shame about Mertens. Hope he recovers soon and gets back to playing football.

Meanwhile, Hull have beaten Liverpool. That pretty much makes Sunderland f***ed as Leicester and Villa are doing enough to stay up in their current form. Now, if we get a couple of wins (unlikely) I'll be happy to see Newcastle go down.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

RTBF are announcing the death of Gregory Mertens at the age of 24 :(
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

RIP Gregory, I feel absolutely atrocious now :(
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

RIP Gregory
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

In happier news away from Belgium...

I want to say a huge "well done" to everyone at Maidstone United, as they celebrate winning the Isthmian League. Back when I took enough of an interest in football that I was a subscriber to Shoot! (i.e. the early 90s), I remember making a small gravestone for Aldershot's "team tab" on the move-the-teams-up-and-down league ladders that Shoot! gave away so we could all track the progress of the teams during the season in the days before the internet. I had to make another one as Maidstone's team tab was included for the 1992-93 season, only they never made it to their first fixture.

Shoot! had a feature in 1992 about the near-immediate creation of Aldershot Town, complete with phoenix-from-the-flames team badge and a picture of two of the players locked out the ground during the remainder of the 1991-92 season. Aldershot Town's progress up the divisions and back into the Football League again has been well documented, even if they're back in the Conference again these days. Maidstone, though, received no similar attention - reforming as Maidstone Invicta at the end of 1992, entering the 1993-94 Kent County League Fourth Division West (fifteenth level football, and the only time that level has ever been contested), winning a few promotions, changing their name back to Maidstone United, having apply to become a senior club, having to groundshare at Sittingbourne, one relegation to set them back, and the wallet-draining need to build a new stadium in Maidstone (similar to what FC United of Manchester have had to do, only without the ready-made support). But they managed it, attendances shot up 350% overnight because the new stadium could hold more people (they're managing attendances similar to some fourth-grade teams now), and in August they'll kick off in National League South, sixth-grade football, and only one tantalising division away from where they used to ply their trade in the 1980s, what was then the Alliance Premier League.

In many ways, Maidstone have had it a lot tougher than Aldershot Town did, and the story of the rise and rise of AFC Wimbledon is a life of luxury in comparison. And talking of FC United of Manchester, as I was, they won the equivalent Northern Premier League - no doubt also boosted by the extra gate receipts from their new stadium - and will be in National League North come the new season.

Now we need similar stories from the other collapsed clubs - at least, those who haven't yet recovered to a level where their results are read on the BBC's Final Score (where we find Accrington Stanley, Newport County and Chester). In the Northern Premier League Division One North (one division below that FCUM have just won), Darlington 1883 have been promoted, Scarborough Athletic just missed out on the play-offs (having been promoted from the Northern League last season). Darlo are still in need of their own ground - I've been there and seen the rubble left over after Feethams was demolished - so they're groundsharing at Bishop Auckland, and likewise Scarborough are still tenants at Bridlington. And further south, what of Hereford United - who were thrown out of the Southern League Premier Division in December and will be attempting to start in the Midland Football League, where we find the reconstituted Hinckley FC playing in Division One (i.e. tenth grade); weren't they the club whose abysmal record the season before they collapsed sparked this whole thread about reject football teams in the first place?

Meanwhile, in the United Counties League, another smashed club who were briefly in the Football League, Rushden & Diamonds, have ended up as the champions - and will play in the Northern Premier League Division One South next season, so they're potentially on the way back. And our favourite rejects, Woodford United, finished 14th out of 20 in Division One with a respectable 46 points. Which is 45 more than Stewarts & Lloyds Corby managed...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

The Championship has finally finished up, with Bournemouth being promoted for the first time in their 125 year history by winning the whole thing on the final day. To say the least, it was absolutely deserved. Watford take up the second promotion spot, leaving Norwich, Middlesbrough, Ipswich, and Brentford in the playoffs. Steve McClaren's Derby lost 3-0 to Reading on final day, and Brentford capitalized. McClaren is rumored with the Newcastle job at the moment...

Chelsea have completely walked the PL and completely deserve to win the title, setting a new record for the most days at the top of the table in the process. Now the just need a decent Champions League run, unlike the farce that was this season's run. At the other end, the northeast clubs need to get their act together. Sunderland beat 10 men Southampton, but we need at least another win to help us achive safety. We have Leicester home, then Everton, Chelsea, and Arsenal away. We may be f***ed gefore we know it. Unless we win a match, then Newcaste is in serious danger of relegation. My avatar says all atm.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Meanwhile it looks like someone spoke about SD Eibar surviving far too early. They were 8th at the halfway point of the year but having lost 13 of their last 15 they've crashed to 16th just one point above the drop zone. Needless to say they'd be bottom of La Liga had it started in January
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

In other news, Milton Keynes Dons are promoted to the Championship for the first time in a dramatic final day in League One, capitalising on Preston's defeat at the hands of relegation threatened Colchester, who achieved survival thanks to this victory.

In the relegation battle, Notts County's disappointing season ended in relegation. Leyton Orient followed suit, which would have surprised me at the start of the season. Joining them were Crawley Town, who were leading against relegation rivals Coventry City and looked set to stay in the league, until a comeback from Coventry cost Crawley their place in the league, and saving Crewe Alexandra, the team who dragged Coventry right into the relegation battle last week.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

The first professional football game I ever saw was at University, when I went to see Notts County vs Bristol Rovers. They're a fantastic club (or at least they were then) and I still have a soft spot for them. So I'm really sad to see them go down. Though not surprised, as the guy who runs them is an idiot.

Delighted to see Orient go down, solely because I hate Barry Hearn. Even more delighted that Plastic FC Mk 2 (Crawley) went as well. Gutted that Plastic FC Mk 1 (MK Dons) went up.
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

go_Rubens wrote:At the other end, the northeast clubs need to get their act together. Sunderland beat 10 men Southampton, but we need at least another win to help us achive safety. We have Leicester home, then Everton, Chelsea, and Arsenal away. We may be f***ed gefore we know it. Unless we win a match, then Newcaste is in serious danger of relegation. My avatar says all atm.

It's Everton first before Leicester. I think it's between us, Hull and Newcastle now. Hull losing to Arsenal tonight which is great news.
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Barbazza wrote:The first professional football game I ever saw was at University, when I went to see Notts County vs Bristol Rovers. They're a fantastic club (or at least they were then) and I still have a soft spot for them. So I'm really sad to see them go down. Though not surprised, as the guy who runs them is an idiot.

Delighted to see Orient go down, solely because I hate Barry Hearn. Even more delighted that Plastic FC Mk 2 (Crawley) went as well. Gutted that Plastic FC Mk 1 (MK Dons) went up.

Don't really mind that MK Dons went up, it's kinda been a long time coming and they've been imperious in front of goal. Just displeased with the final result...losing 5-1 is pretty much an indication of Yeovil's season's really. I'm hoping Paul Sturrock's given free reign to fix the club up, because we really have to get back into League One quickly.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AdrianBelmonte_

FullMetalJack wrote:In the relegation battle, Notts County's disappointing season ended in relegation. Leyton Orient followed suit, which would have surprised me at the start of the season. Joining them were Crawley Town, who were leading against relegation rivals Coventry City and looked set to stay in the league, until a comeback from Coventry cost Crawley their place in the league, and saving Crewe Alexandra, the team who dragged Coventry right into the relegation battle last week.

If i'm not wrong, this is the third consecutive relegation for Dean Saunders (Crawley manager)
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Meanwhile in Belgium, all teams from 3rd division are putting down a complaint at the UEFA because of the league reforms. They claim that a closed competition is against the UEFA rules, who state that the possibility of relegation/promotion should exist.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:In the relegation battle, Notts County's disappointing season ended in relegation. Leyton Orient followed suit, which would have surprised me at the start of the season. Joining them were Crawley Town, who were leading against relegation rivals Coventry City and looked set to stay in the league, until a comeback from Coventry cost Crawley their place in the league, and saving Crewe Alexandra, the team who dragged Coventry right into the relegation battle last week.

If i'm not wrong, this is the third consecutive relegation for Dean Saunders (Crawley manager)

Dean Saunders is not a good manager in the slightest. Decent enough at Conference level; he had Wrexham working well. However, he doesn't have the brain to comprehend what's required at a higher level. Although Stale Solbakken didn't have a brilliant start at Wolves, Saunders came in and got a team who were in the Premier League the season before relegated again. On paper, Crawley shouldn't have been relegated either.

I'm sure Dean's a nice fellow, but he's just not a particularly strong tactician and doesn't really know how to pick players up after a few defeats on the trot.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AdrianBelmonte_

East Londoner wrote:Meanwhile in Spain... :lol:

Well, i don't like this decission, but i hate the collective bargaining for TV rights we have

This is the graphic for last season

Do you see that normal? Do you see normal such an imbalance between Real Madrid-Barcelona and the rest?

Let's compare to Premier League last season

DO YOU SEE NORMAL THAT THE CURRENT SPANISH CHAMPIONS EARNED LESS MONEY THAN PL LAST QUALIFIED?

And this isn't finished yet, this is the last chapter of a war between LFP and RFEF to see which one "has it longer"

As you can see, Spain is getting even more rejectful than Belgium (ON FOOTBALL, just to clarify)

PS: sorry for the rant
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:As you can see, Spain is getting even more rejectful than Belgium (ON FOOTBALL, just to clarify)

Nah, Spain is pretty much rejectful in everything :twisted:
AdrianBelmonte_

This wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:As you can see, Spain is getting even more rejectful than Belgium (ON FOOTBALL, just to clarify)

Nah, Spain is pretty much rejectful in everything :twisted:

Spain have many very good things, but also have many things that are just no
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Well, Juventus just became the first Italian side since Inter to make the CL final. Unfortunately, it's a reflection on how good Juve is instead of how much better Italy has gotten. They'll probably be crushed by Barça to the point where I'll care more about whether Suárez shakes Evra's hand or not. To be honest I hate both Barça and Juve so I can't say who I want to win, unless I go with my soft spot for underdogs.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool