Google Navigation Challenge 3 - Melbourne to New York

Archive for the three above subforums
Samster

Google Navigation Challenge 3 - Melbourne to New York

Post by Samster »

Now that we are in the second half of Shadaza's challenge I'm going to announce the toned down version of my last proposal. The old thread can be deleted if the mods wish.

You may post your entries now but I will not be starting this race until about a week after Shadaza's ends. Post start entries will be accepted but they will not be allowed to play catch up by posting more than the allowed amount of stints in one day.

Entry posts should be as follows.

Your team nationality.
Names of your team members, can be yourself or some fictional character. A brief description is optional.
The car you will be competing in, preferably a classic or rejectful car.

1. This will now be a Point A to Point B race. Namely Melbourne to New York. On your way, you must enter all six of the populated continents. You may do so in whichever order you wish as long as you start in Melbourne and finish in New York City. With the aid of the ferries that I have organised further below I have figured out at least two potential routes heading in opposite directions around the world that should be fairly similar in time length. I'll of course let you figure these out.

2. In additional to who can complete the race the quickest, there will also be other categories. If This gives his blessing I'd like to road test some of his ideas as well as one of my own. As a Motorsport orientated forum I thought we could have an award for most racing circuits visited along your route. These can be anything from Formula One venues to a local banger racing track, just as long as you include the venue in your search route and can prove it exists.

-First to the finish line (30%) (tie-breaker: smallest total travel time)
-Most countries visited (30%) (tie-breaker: most unique country visits)
-Most racing circuits visited (10%) (tie-breaker)
-Championship: (biggest distance per day) (10%) (tie-breaker, most 1st places, 2nd places, etc.)
-Championship: (most time traveled per day (closest to the limit) (10%) (tie-breaker, most 1st places, 2nd places, etc.)
-Greatest story (10%) (tie-breaker, having to literally break the most ties) (voted for democratically)
Points will be awarded to these 6 sub-championships accordingly to their percentage, the team with the most points will be the overall winner. The top 10 for each category will score points using the current F1 system then multiplied by its percentage.

3. To allow us to get through the challenge faster, maximum leg time for this challenge will be 15 hours. Also I will open two legs each day rather than just one. Each pair of legs must be treated separately of course as if they were done on separate days so you must end both at a hotel and neither can exceed 15 hours. Hotels must be included in your route search. I have figured out that the fastest time shouldn't be much more than 35 legs meaning that the challenge should not last much more than three weeks in real time.

4. To make Intercontinental travel possible I have created some long distance ferry services. To make use of these you must travel to one of the connecting cities shown below where your stint will end before hopping on board the next day. Depending on the length of the ferry route, you will spend a certain amount of legs on board the ferry (essentially this will be 1 leg for every 1000 km) during which you won't need to post any updates. Each ferry has daily sailings and can be traveled in either direction.

Real Ferries can also be used (Dover-Calais) provided they are covered by Google. You won't loose any extra time from using these.

Ferry List

Trans-Atlantic
Boston, MA - Lisbon, Portugal (5 Days)
Fortaleza, Brazil - Dakar, Senegal (3 Days)

Trans-Pacific
Shanghai, China - Long Beach, CA (11 Days)
Brisbane, Australia - Long Beach, CA (12 Days)
Brisbane, Australia - Valparaiso, Chile (12 Days)

Others
Colon, Panama - Cartegena, Colombia (Overnight)
Singapore - Darwin, Australia (4 Days)

5. You may miss a day without penalty but any longer than that without warning will result in you remaining where you are without being allowed to catch up by multi-stinting. Essentially this means you spend those missed legs not travelling. If you fail to post for a week (real time) then you will be classed as a DNF. If you inform me before hand, then the above penalties will not apply but you must post the legs for the days you miss in advance on the forum to avoid tactical advantage. The deadline for each day will be simply when I post the overview map (usually somewhere close to midnight GMT).

I believe that is everything I want to include.

Entry List

Total Countries Visited

Total Racing Circuits Visited
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Google Navigation Challenge 3 - Melbourne to New York

Post by Nessafox »

You have my blessing for using those ideas.
But you could've at least put the rules it in your own words instead of mine :P

By the looks of it you removed the eco challenge of shortest distance. The reason i included that was that i wanted to have 2 contradictional categories, rewarding both the shortest and the longest distance, encouraring balance.

Either way, i'm defenitely going to enter this, and use my experience for my challenge. I'll fill in the proper entry form later.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Samster wrote:On your way, you must enter all six of the populated continents.

I'm not even going to enter this, but I still have a problem. How are you defining Europe?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Samster wrote:On your way, you must enter all six of the populated continents.

I'm not even going to enter this, but I still have a problem. How are you defining Europe?

The official continental border is the Ural mountains, Caucasus mountains, Black Sea, Mediterranean sea. There are some countries that are technically in both continents, like Iceland, Turkey, Russia and Kazakhstan. I'm not sure if they use the Greater Caucasus or the Lesser Caucasus. So Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia are up for debate. Cyprus is technically fully Asian. I don't know about Malta.

Then again, this year, Australia will compete in the Eurovision song contest :facepalm:
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Samster

Post by Samster »

I'm going to consider Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan as Europe. Turkey will be Europe west of the Bosphorus and Asia east. Russia will be Europe west of the Urals, Asia east and Kazakhstan will be considered as fully Asia.