2016 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
mario

Re: 2016 Silly Season Thread

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:
GerhardTalger wrote:
mario wrote:I think that the point is that, at the time, Williams had the choice of either getting rid of Rubens or getting rid of Hulkenberg in order to accommodate Maldonado.

It's not that Williams necessarily thought that Maldonado was better than Hulkenberg, rather that Rubens was considered to be of higher value to the team that Hulkenberg and therefore they were happier to sacrifice him rather than Rubens. When you're an aspiring young driver, it's a bit galling that a team thinks that a 37 year old veteran is a better long term bet for them than you are, which is effectively what Williams were saying at the time.

That was sort of my point. At least Maldonado proved to be somewhat decent by that one win, unlike Bruno Senna.

That's more than The Hulk has shown.

Yeah, producing the goods week in, week out means he's not decent...wait, what?

We're talking about a guy who was consistently good last year. Fine, he didn't reach the heights of, say, his teammate who bagged 3rd at Bahrain (it's an oft-neglected fact that Hulkenberg had energy-harvesting problems that evening; he'd have fought for that podium otherwise), but all of the other results that Perez drew praise for were results that were Hulkenberg's bread and butter.

I don't really know what more Hulkenberg can do to prove himself in the cars he's had. His rookie year was hit-and-miss, but most are anyway. He beat Di Resta at Force India, demolished Gutierrez at Sauber and easily had the edge on Perez last year. What more do you want, him to slide under the table and stroke your bollocks?

That said, whilst Hulkenberg did eventually beat di Resta, it has to be said that it wasn't really until the final few races of the 2012 season where he looked to have a clear advantage over him.

After the Korean GP, Hulkenberg only lead di Resta by one point (45 to 44) and had the same number of finishes in the points (eight apiece). The bulk of Hulkenberg's points came right at the end of the 2012 season, and Force India did later reveal that period of dominance by Hulkenberg coincided with a period in which di Resta's chassis had been damaged and suffered from a loss of torsional stiffness, which did take a bit of the shine off Hulkenberg's relative performance.

In that year, whilst Hulkenberg did eventually finish on a high, the problem was that it came far too late in the season to really influence any of the contract talks - his best performances came after almost every other team had already signed their drivers for 2013. If you were to have made a decision based on his performances over the first three quarters of the season, I think that most observers would have put him on a similar level to di Resta.

As for Gutierrez, it's arguable whether beating him really gave him that much credit - the problem there is that the general expectation in the paddock was that Hulkenberg would thrash Gutierrez, so his relative performance against him was more or less what was expected of him.

Furthermore, given that Sauber had had a relatively strong 2012 season, I think that there was an expectation that they would be reasonably strong - after all, Sauber had scored 126 points with Perez and Kobayashi, and Newey himself had spoken positively of the C31, so there probably was an expectation that the C32 would carry on from where the C31 had left off.

Part of the problem, therefore, is that whilst I would agree that Hulkenberg is a solid driver, I still think that some team bosses have some uncertainty over him given that his team mates have not always been the strongest contenders.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Francis23 wrote:So does that mean the Malaysia GP is being axed then? No, surely not... :cry:

Remember that the circus makes two trips per year to that corner of the world - perhaps Malaysia is being shifted back to the late season and displacing something else.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Biscione wrote:
Francis23 wrote:So does that mean the Malaysia GP is being axed then? No, surely not... :cry:

Remember that the circus makes two trips per year to that corner of the world - perhaps Malaysia is being shifted back to the late season and displacing something else.

On top of this, Malaysia's contract lasts until 2018 *insert comment about F1's adherence to contracts here*
#FreeGonzo
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Biscione wrote:

Given as rumours of Malaysia looking to become a night race are on the plate ever since since the Singapore GP is a thing,perhaps they are moving it to give it the time needed to add the necessary facilities?
Bobby Doorknobs

Klon wrote:
Biscione wrote:

Given as rumours of Malaysia looking to become a night race are on the plate ever since since the Singapore GP is a thing,perhaps they are moving it to give it the time needed to add the necessary facilities?

Such a move though would be seen as a threat by the Singapore GP organisers, given that they are two races in close proximity and, if this move is happening, almost at the same time, which would in theory threaten ticket sales for both events. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but we'll see how this unfolds.
#FreeGonzo
Francis23

Post by Francis23 »

Simtek wrote:
Klon wrote:
Biscione wrote:Remember that the circus makes two trips per year to that corner of the world - perhaps Malaysia is being shifted back to the late season and displacing something else.

Such a move though would be seen as a threat by the Singapore GP organisers, given that they are two races in close proximity and, if this move is happening, almost at the same time, which would in theory threaten ticket sales for both events. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but we'll see how this unfolds.

Maybe it will be after China, although logistically there would be little point in doing that, perhaps it will be moved back next to the Japanese GP, especially given the record of April showers (more like storms) in Malaysia and increased safety concerns.
mario

Post by mario »

Although it is somewhat speculative, Autosport believe that the 2016 calendar will look something like this:
April 3 - Australia (Albert Park)
April 10 - China (Shanghai)
April 24 - Bahrain (Sakhir)
May 1 - Russia (Sochi)
May 15 - Spain (Barcelona)
May 29 - Monaco (Monte Carlo)
June 12 - Canada (Montreal)
June 26 - Britain (Silverstone)
July 3 - Austria (Red Bull Ring)
July 17 - Europe (Baku)
July 31 - Germany (Hockenheim)
August 7 - Hungary (Hungaroring)
August 28 - Belgium (Spa)
September 4 - Italy (Monza)
September 18 - Singapore (Marina Bay)
September 25 - Malaysia (Sepang)
October 9 - Japan (Suzuka)
October 23 - USA (Austin)
October 30 - Mexico (Mexico City)
November 13 - Brazil (Interlagos)
November 27 - Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118710

It's going to be an interesting calendar if that is the case - however, the Canadian GP may be an issue given that is potentially close to the slot for the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and the ACO does not want F1 races clashing with Le Mans.

It also looks like the F1 Deprivation season may be even more long winded than usual - the indication is that they will cut back winter testing to just two tests for 2016, with the start of testing shifted to later in the year as well. It looks like the start of 2015 will be one of the quietest periods in the sport that we've seen for quite some time...
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

mario wrote:It also looks like the F1 Deprivation season may be even more long winded than usual - the indication is that they will cut back winter testing to just two tests for 2016, with the start of testing shifted to later in the year as well. It looks like the start of *2016 will be one of the quietest periods in the sport that we've seen for quite some time...

Right after the lack of any offseason feeling in 2014-15, to make it even longer.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Bobby Doorknobs

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
mario wrote:It also looks like the F1 Deprivation season may be even more long winded than usual - the indication is that they will cut back winter testing to just two tests for 2016, with the start of testing shifted to later in the year as well. It looks like the start of *2016 will be one of the quietest periods in the sport that we've seen for quite some time...

Right after the lack of any offseason feeling in 2014-15, to make it even longer.

I already have an idea for something to replace the word association game. It should hopefully be more intellectually challenging and result in far less controversy than the now-banned off-season tradition. All will be revealed on November 30th ;)
#FreeGonzo
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Simtek wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

I already have an idea for something to replace the word association game. It should hopefully be more intellectually challenging and result in far less controversy than the now-banned off-season tradition. All will be revealed on November 30th ;)

I'll maintain till my last breath that the team-mate game had serious potential, even if it required some fine tuning.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

But I have a plan to revive the Ruined Dreams/Corrupt A Wish game for off-season... :evil:
(says the guy who messed up that game)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Bobby Doorknobs

shinji wrote:
Simtek wrote:I already have an idea for something to replace the word association game. It should hopefully be more intellectually challenging and result in far less controversy than the now-banned off-season tradition. All will be revealed on November 30th ;)

I'll maintain till my last breath that the team-mate game had serious potential, even if it required some fine tuning.

I just noticed that this game of mine will be started three years to the day after yours was and has the same intentions, but my idea's very different :P It's something that has probably been seen before, whether here or on some other forum. In fact, the idea itself is from another forum I frequented a few years ago and was usually the only place I posted on that forum. That game died eventually. Anyway, this is only going to be an off-season game, so it will hopefully only be "put away" while the F1 season's on.
#FreeGonzo
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Why even was the word association game banned? First time I've heard about this.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Bobby Doorknobs

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:Why even was the word association game banned? First time I've heard about this.

From the Rules of Conduct, section 1b: "nonsense threads like "word association" or "count to 10 000" are strictly prohibited."

It came about to reduce post count inflation and was enforced for the first time with last year's edition: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7267
#FreeGonzo
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/05/01/f ... d-up-0105/

From the first news: "The thing Lewis is really interested in is music, not driving."

Well... conspiracy theories: Is Hamilton delaying the renewal of his contract with Mercedes because he wants to retire from F1 to become a singer? This is one of most silliest story in a silly season ever.

If Hamilton retires after winning the title in this year, is very likely Alonso replacing him and Magnussen getting his seat back at Mclaren. Without Alonso, Honda could lose the interest in F1 in the next years, leaving the British team without an engine.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:Why even was the word association game banned? First time I've heard about this.

Not sure if it was banned per se as discontinued once the new season began to take shape. I know we're under new management now, and the pressure of that I think we can all agree is slowly grinding us all into dust, but I thought the WAG was permitted during the closed season? I found it an amusing distraction to be honest and probably posted more than was healthy but that was down to my general inanity rather than a wish to have a big one. Post count, that is.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:

Not sure if it was banned per se as discontinued once the new season began to take shape. I know we're under new management now, and the pressure of that I think we can all agree is slowly grinding us all into dust, but I thought the WAG was permitted during the closed season? I found it an amusing distraction to be honest and probably posted more than was healthy but that was down to my general inanity rather than a wish to have a big one. Post count, that is.

See link a few posts ago - last off-season's WAG was locked after less than a day and 12 posts. I too saw it as a bit of fun and must have made up at the very most 1% of my (admittedly large) post count. It seems to be effectively banned, judging by that attempt of the WAG.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

dr-baker wrote:See link a few posts ago - last off-season's WAG was locked after less than a day and 12 posts. I too saw it as a bit of fun and must have made up at the very most 1% of my (admittedly large) post count. It seems to be effectively banned, judging by that attempt of the WAG.

Quick bit of research (who'd know I've exams at the mo :dance: ) shows you posted about 1,000 times across the 5 threads. So a good 10 times as much as you thought.

Clearly made a big impact on you!
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

shinji wrote:
dr-baker wrote:See link a few posts ago - last off-season's WAG was locked after less than a day and 12 posts. I too saw it as a bit of fun and must have made up at the very most 1% of my (admittedly large) post count. It seems to be effectively banned, judging by that attempt of the WAG.

Quick bit of research (who'd know I've exams at the mo :dance: ) shows you posted about 1,000 times across the 5 threads. So a good 10 times as much as you thought.

Clearly made a big impact on you!

Whoops! :oops:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Bottas has "not" signed a deal with Ferrari: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118822
#FreeGonzo
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Simtek wrote:Bottas has "not" signed a deal with Ferrari: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118822

Given that Massa is somewhat up there with Bottas, I feel that Valtteri is a tad overrated. Having said this, he could be ideal to play second fiddle to Vettel in Ferrari so it is not a bad signing!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Going to try to make an early prediction on the 2016 grid.

Mercedes
Lewis Hamilton
Nico Rosberg

Doubt there will be any change despite any rumours to the contrary.

Ferrari
Sebastian Vettel
Kimi Raikkonen

Now that its clear it was the car not suiting him that was holding him back last season, Kimi deserves another year if he wants it. If he leaves then I hope for Jean-Eric Vergne.

Williams-Mercedes
Valterri Bottas
Kevin Magnussen

Bottas has been linked to Ferrari either for 2016 or 2017, if that happens I'd say the latter is more likely. Massa retires and is replaced by Magnussen who again misses out on a McLaren drive and decides to jump ship.

Red Bull-Renault
Daniel Ricciardo
Daniil Kvyat

Probably no changes unless Kvyat continues to be underwhelming all through 2015.

Torro Rosso-Renault
Max Verstappen
Carlos Sainz Jr.

No changes unless the main team loose a driver in which case Pierre Gasley is next in line.

McLaren-Honda
Fernando Alonso
Stoffel Vandoorne

Button retires and McLaren go with Vandoorne over Magnussen to replace him.

Lotus-Mercedes
Romain Grosjean
Pastor Maldonado

Unless Grosjean manages to get a better team then I see no changes.

Sauber-Ferrari
Felipe Nasr
Raffaele Marciello

Ferrari place Marciello in a drivers seat at Sauber.

Force India-Mercedes
Sergio Perez
Jolyon Palmer

Hulkenburg finally gets sick of never finding a top team and joins Porsche full time in the WEC. He is replaced either by Palmer who has tested before with the team or some random pay-driver that is able to get a super-license if the team's finances are that desperate.

Manor-Ferrari
Will Stevens
Jordan King

If Manor survive then I see King getting promoted to full driver.

Haas-Ferrari
Marcus Ericsson
Alexander Rossi

Rossi is hired for his nationality and Ericsson is hired as an established driver with a sack of money behind him.
mario

Post by mario »

Samster wrote:Haas-Ferrari
Marcus Ericsson
Alexander Rossi

Rossi is hired for his nationality and Ericsson is hired as an established driver with a sack of money behind him.

I might be mistaken, but wouldn't Rossi potentially be ineligible for a superlicence in 2016?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

mario wrote:
Samster wrote:Haas-Ferrari
Marcus Ericsson
Alexander Rossi

I might be mistaken, but wouldn't Rossi potentially be ineligible for a superlicence in 2016?

He'd need to come second in GP2 this year; he's only got 3 potential points considering his previous forays in the series haven't been with particularly good teams...it's doable, but with the field as strong as it is he'll need to put in a lot of hard work.

I'd say Marciello was a good bet for one seat, depending on how Ferrari want to push this relationship with Haas...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
razta

Post by razta »

Just a rumor I saw on twitter.. may have some truth as spending faaaaar too much time with Kanye West..

apparently "Kanye West will sign Lewis Hamilton to his record lable"

he liked his music a lot..
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

razta wrote:Just a rumor I saw on twitter.. may have some truth as spending faaaaar too much time with Kanye West..

apparently "Kanye West will sign Lewis Hamilton to his record lable"

Jacques, Jaime, i'm really happy for you and imma let you finish, but Lewis is the best signing F1 driver of all time!
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

If Hamilton is in F1 in 2016 it will be either with Mercedes...or Ferrari as a replacement to Raikkonnen

You heard it here first...
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

So apparently a number of cost-cutting proposals were discussed by the Strategy Group yesterday. But, it seems every single proposal was abandoned, in favour of bringing up customer cars again. :facepalm:

No fifth engine either.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

East Londoner wrote:So apparently a number of cost-cutting proposals were discussed by the Strategy Group yesterday. But, it seems every single proposal was abandoned, in favour of bringing up customer cars again. :facepalm:

No fifth engine either.

Customer cars aren't necessarily a bad thing. The sport had it in the past. But it all depends on how it will be done. For instance, it must still be better for the teams to go full manufacturer instead of keep being a customer. It could also pave the way for multi-team chassis construction. Doing it wrong would be placing 4 Mercedes (as an example) on the grid as it is, ruining it for those at the back.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Collieafc wrote:If Hamilton is in F1 in 2016 it will be either with Mercedes...or Ferrari as a replacement to Raikkonnen

You think? Nice one Nostradamus. If Hamilton is in F1 in 2016 you think he'll be in one of the current top two teams? Uncanny. Do you also have last weeks lottery numbers?
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

Esteban Gutiérrez Gutiérrez is apparently a "front runner" for a seat at Haas: http://en.f1i.com/news/12318-gutierrez- ... -2016.html

Oh yeah, and Danica Patrick is rumoured to be under consideration. Wonder how that will turn out :roll:
#FreeGonzo
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Simtek wrote:Oh yeah, and Danica Patrick is rumoured to be under consideration. Wonder how that will turn out :roll:

It won't. She's repeatedly said she doesn't want to race in F1. And it makes no sense to move now, when she's starting to finally come good in NASCAR.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Bobby Doorknobs

Salamander wrote:
Simtek wrote:Oh yeah, and Danica Patrick is rumoured to be under consideration. Wonder how that will turn out :roll:

It won't. She's repeatedly said she doesn't want to race in F1. And it makes no sense to move now, when she's starting to finally come good in NASCAR.

That's exactly what I was trying to imply. That last post might have been a little too ambiguous on my part :oops:
#FreeGonzo
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

CoopsII wrote:
Collieafc wrote:If Hamilton is in F1 in 2016 it will be either with Mercedes...or Ferrari as a replacement to Raikkonnen

You think? Nice one Nostradamus. If Hamilton is in F1 in 2016 you think he'll be in one of the current top two teams? Uncanny. Do you also have last weeks lottery numbers?
:D
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Simtek wrote:Esteban Gutiérrez Gutiérrez is apparently a "front runner" for a seat at Haas: http://en.f1i.com/news/12318-gutierrez- ... -2016.html

Doesn't surprise me. I'm sure that Telmex money will come in handy. Though I would have expected logically that Marciello would be top of the rumour mill. If Ferrari were to farm anyone out to them, surely it would be him?

If it isn't a question of money they should surely take a punt on Vergne instead.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I don't think Lello will be ready for F1 at the end of this year.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119052
"Red Bull F1 racer Daniil Kvyat hits back after Helmut Marko warning"

I've been a loud critic of Kvyat both this year and last, and I'm honestly glad that he's getting the criticism I think he deserves. Bahrain in particular was a very poor weekend for him, and with Red Bull getting agitated in general, he's going to have to step up his game.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Rob Dylan wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119052

I've been a loud critic of Kvyat both this year and last, and I'm honestly glad that he's getting the criticism I think he deserves. Bahrain in particular was a very poor weekend for him, and with Red Bull getting agitated in general, he's going to have to step up his game.

On the other side of things, that warning was given to both drivers, and I fail to see what Ricciardo could possibly be doing better.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
mario

Post by mario »

Salamander wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119052

On the other side of things, that warning was given to both drivers, and I fail to see what Ricciardo could possibly be doing better.

Marko does tend to like pressurising his drivers, so it could be that his criticism of Ricciardo was simply to keep him sharp too.

I would have to agree, though, that although the endless reliability problems must be sapping his confidence in the car and is costing him valuable practise time, the fact that he hasn't been prepared to step up into the parent team (given they were expecting to hold onto Vettel for longer) does show.
If he cannot lift his current performance and get onto more equal terms with Ricciardo, I would not be surprised if he finds himself being displaced by one of the two Toro Rosso drivers - both of them seem to be coping with the pressures and demands of their jobs better than Kvyat is right now.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Hamilton has signed a 3 year contract with Mercedes. He'll be there till the end of 2018 season.