Class of F1

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Jocke1

Class of F1

Post by Jocke1 »

If anyone should have the missing years, please post them.
Last edited by Jocke1 on 08 Apr 2015, 19:41, edited 3 times in total.
-*:-
AndreaModa

Re: Class of F1

Post by AndreaModa »

I love how, in the official ones going back to the mid 80s, they get more and more informal going back in time! :lol:

Compare the very smart 2013 one to 1986! :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Moved the topic, because it's not really about current F1.

This got me to looking at older seasons on StatsF1, and one thing that I noticed that the F1 race programmes have been extremely dull-looking for many years now, with only a few exceptions (like the 2009 programmes, the star constellation idea looks nice). I mean, compare this programme from 20 years ago:
To this:
Or, even worse, this:
That wouldn't actually be that bad if it wasn't for that season's programmes being almost carbon copies of each other, with just the position of the driver, background and coloring changing between each GP programme.

Also it's funny to notice that the last time the programme covers have distinctly featured cars from the teams that took part in the season (instead of generic or indistinguishable models) was in 2005, and even then they were extreme closeups. You have to go all the way back to 2000 to find programme covers with full shots of real cars! Is this some kind of a neutrality policy by the FIA, to avoid any allegations of favoritism towards certain teams?

Well, this went a bit off-topic...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton and Raikkonen have shades on, and nobody else. If Button had them a conspiracy would undoubtedly be afoot, and I would be standing up.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Now hang on a minute!
In the 1976 photo there is clearly someone in the crowd (around the middle) holding a cellphone, seemingly taking a picture. FAKE!!!

Also, in the 2013 photo Hulkenberg looks like he's plotting the assassination of Obi Wan Kenobi or something. :?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

JeremyMcClean wrote:Now hang on a minute!
In the 1976 photo there is clearly someone in the crowd (around the middle) holding a cellphone, seemingly taking a picture. FAKE!!!

Also, in the 2013 photo Hulkenberg looks like he's plotting the assassination of Obi Wan Kenobi or something. :?

It seems a glass or cup of something
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

That's nothing. Look at the guy in front of Stewart and to the right of Rindt and Bonnier in 1968. He is clearly playing a game on his iphone.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

The Schumacher stance:

ImageImage
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

The Jordan drivers with the Trust sponsoring , Trust that didnt pay at all to Jordan :lol:
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

It's interesting to me how they NEVER have managed to get a photograph with all drivers wearing sponsor caps.

They have come close a few times, though.
In 2012 it was only Vettel and di Resta ruining it from being a perfect 'all caps photo'.
In 2010 Kovalainen and Chandhok decided to spoil the party.

In 2009 it was extremely close, Webber being the only one not wearing a cap. Why Mark? Why?

In 2005 it was Karthikeyan and Montoya who defied the order of things and refused to wear caps.
Narain should have been awarded bad-to-the-bone-rookie-of-the-year for this act alone. For sticking it to the man in his very
first season.

In 2004 the number twos, Barrichello and Coulthard, didn't feel like co-operating with the others, preventing a perfect photo yet again.

In 1991, a total opposite here. Ayrton Senna is the only one wearing a cap. Of 27 drivers!

And in 1987 no one wore a cap!

In 1986, Nigel Mansell is the only one with a cap, preceding Senna with the feat.

And here is another thing I noticed.
Mika Hakkinen never wore a cap in any of the driver photos.
That's really something, talk about the ultimate troll. Concerned about his doo, no doubt.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Jocke1 wrote:And here is another thing I noticed.
Mika Hakkinen never wore a cap in any of the driver photos.
That's really something, talk about the ultimate troll. Concerned about his doo, no doubt.

So far, neither has Paul di Resta.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
girry

Post by girry »

One thing I have to say in favour of the modern F1.

The standard of driving suits (that the correct term?) has gone upwards so much - early 90's are just awful lol
when you're dead people start listening
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Great pics!!

Interesting that it's only from 1997 where all the teammates have sat next to each other!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

2009 looks so empty.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Minardi on the front row in 03 and 04: The closest they would ever get in those years
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

2005 was the last good year for colour balance. Too many white-dominated overalls since then.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

James1978 wrote:Great pics!!

Interesting that it's only from 1997 where all the teammates have sat next to each other!

I liked the old pics more where the drivers were shaken up more.

Interesting to see that the photographers had forced Ayrton Senna and guest star Jean-Marie Balestre next to each other in 1991 photo.

For a change, another F1-related group photo
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Bleu wrote: For a change, another F1-related group photo

I think they are 'shooting' a dingo eating someones baby.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

About programmes, not sure if this was affecting the decision not to portrait too much of drivers, who may not be racing at all:

Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

FantometteBR wrote:

It seems a glass or cup of something

I think it's a glass.

It's interesting to see that in 1992 photo both Mansell and Giovanna Amati are missing...
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Olivier Grouillard, why did you just have to be so different? :? :evil: :lol:

Out of the four seasons he was in, in each of the 1989, 1990 and 1992 pics he's wearing civvies (although in 1992 that looks like an official Tyrrell shirt) whereas most if not all of the rest are in their race-suits. And in 1991 he's not even there!

Also, the 1994 picture is poignant, given that it was presumably taken at Interlagos. How different would the end-of-season picture have looked?

* Needless to say, poor Roland and Ayrton wouldn't be there.
* Herbert would be wearing a Benetton suit.
* Lamy, Verstappen, Bernard, Comas, Beretta and Wendlinger wouldn't be there.
* Salo, Zanardi, Schiattarella, Lehto, Mansell, Deletraz, Noda and Lagorce would be.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

I do hope Paul di Resta finds his hat someday.
Message me on Discord.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Is Prost not in the 1990 photo becuase he was in a huff about what happened at Suzuka?
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

First of all, these pics are great. Brings back great memories, brilliant colours, optional team clothing and great sideburns.

But seriously, to clear it up, some of these pics were taken at the start of the season and some at the end.

What I can work out, 1986 is in Australia (cant work out the driver wearing the Australia tshirt, bottom row, 3rd from right). For obvious reasons Warwick is there too
So too 1987 thru to 1990, on pit straight or opposite main grandstand in Adelaide.

Then its the opposite for 1991. But for that year, the drivers photo is of the drivers who actually qualified in the race, hence why Grouillard, de Cesaris, Comas, Johansson and others are not in the pic as they didnt qualify. Definetly in USA as Iceberg was naming rights sponsor.

1992, im positive its South Africa, main clue I think the SAF flag was like that in 1992, same as 1993 as Andretti and Capelli are present.

1994 its in Brazil, then the rest are straight forward.

Also, 1997 was first year teammates stood together.

BTW, Bruni looks pre-occupied!
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

David AGS wrote:What I can work out, 1986 is in Australia (cant work out the driver wearing the Australia tshirt, bottom row, 3rd from right).

Johnny Dumfries, no? By the way, how seriously short is Allen Berg?!

David AGS wrote:BTW, Bruni looks pre-occupied!

Wouldn't you be when you have greatness right next to you?
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Montoya seems to be very curious as to what Bruni is up to.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Is it just me, or does Barrichello's head get progressively squarer as the years go on?
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

1992 is my favourite, for the following reasons -

Fittipaldi's massive hat.

Tarquini and Gugelmin looking blissfully happy and unaware of their nightmares to come (well, Gabriele was probably used to it by then)

The photographer at the back gaining evidence of Gabriele's enlarging bald patch.

Belmondo looking away at something. Perhaps the March is parked nearby and he's thinking 'I'm driving THAT?!'

The fact that there seem to be gaps at the back for the 3 missing drivers - not just Mansell and Amati (practising being invisible all year?) but Stefano Modena as well.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Barbazza wrote:1992 is my favourite, for the following reasons -

Fittipaldi's massive hat.

Tarquini and Gugelmin looking blissfully happy and unaware of their nightmares to come (well, Gabriele was probably used to it by then)

The photographer at the back gaining evidence of Gabriele's enlarging bald patch.

Belmondo looking away at something. Perhaps the March is parked nearby and he's thinking 'I'm driving THAT?!'

The fact that there seem to be gaps at the back for the 3 missing drivers - not just Mansell and Amati (practising being invisible all year?) but Stefano Modena as well.

Plus how do you like Alesi and Suzuki's very unorthodox racing boots? Aguri's in particular ...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Jocke1 wrote:It's interesting to me how they NEVER have managed to get a photograph of all drivers wearing sponsor caps.

They have come close a few times, though.
In 2012 it was only Vettel and di Resta ruining it from being a perfect 'all-sponsor-caps photo'.
In 2010, Kovalainen and Chandhok decided to spoil the caps-party.

In 2009 it was extremely close, Webber being the only one not wearing a cap. Why Mark? Why?

In 2005 it was Karthikeyan and Montoya who defied the order of things and refused to wear caps.
Narain should have been awarded the bad-to-the-bone-rookie-of-the-year award for this act alone!
For sticking it to the man in his very first season.

In 2004, the number two's Barrichello and Coulthard, didn't feel like co-operating with the others,
preventing a perfect photo yet again.

In 1991, a total opposite here. Ayrton Senna is the only one wearing a cap. Out of 27 drivers!

And in 1987, no one wore a cap.

In 1986, Nigel Mansell was the only one with a cap, preceeding Senna with the odd feat.

And here is another thing I noticed.
Mika Hakkinen never wore a cap in any of the yearly photos.
That's really something, talk about being the ultimate troll. Concerned about your doo no doubt, Mika?

^^ 2014 photo updated above ^^

Looks like we all have to wait at least one more year, for another chance of possibly witnessing a first
all-drivers-wearing-sponsor-caps photograph in history :cry:.
Ericsson and Grosjean being the culprits this time around, by not wearing sponsor caps for some reason.
I am very surprised to see Ericsson not wearing one to be honest, I realize he has some "anonymous sponsors", but surely
some sponsors want their logo to be seen? Not even the team?

I also noticed Hulkenberg and Perez are the only teammates wearing different looking caps.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Is it just me or in the 2014 photo, both Massa and Sutil are looking at Hamilton with an "I kill you" look on their faces (especially Sutil)? :lol:
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

James1978 wrote:Is it just me or in the 2014 photo, both Massa and Sutil are looking at Hamilton with an "I kill you" look on their faces (especially Sutil)? :lol:

Whatever do you mean?
They're best mates!

ImageImage
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Okay, JEV's look immediately reminded me of...

:lol:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

"Daniel... DANIEL! Stop smiling, it's too bright, I can't see!"

Genetic scientists of the world: get onto a new project to recreate that cow from the 19th century that somehow started producing black milk (and the butter that could be made from it looked more like coal tar). And then sign up Mr Ricciardo as the new Canberra Milk Kid, even if he is from Perth.

Failing that, give him some treacle toffee...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

The Sauber boys just don't get this "photograph" malarkey, do they?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Jocke1 wrote:

OP has been updated once again and the 2015 group photo has been included.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Jocke1 wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:

OP has been updated once again and the 2015 group photo has been included.

You can't embed a link from another forum's attachments. They're not designed to work for more than a few hours. So, of course, doesn't work anymore.

Here's what to do instead; quickly sign up to Imgur, then take all those images and upload them into a single album, then take the unique ID from the embed code and stick it in gallery tags, as so;

[album]unique-id-goes-here[/album]

The format of an imgur gallery embed should be something like;

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="//imgur.com/a/UNIQUE-ID/embed"></iframe>

Strip out the string in the part of the URL above and stick it inside those album tags.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Fixed. Sorry.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Just seen the 2015 photo. Manor obviously can't afford caps. :)

Shame no Alonso and Bottas on there.