2015 Malaysian Grand Prix thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
GwilymJJames

2015 Malaysian Grand Prix thread

Post by GwilymJJames »

It's the Malaysian Grand Prix! And big news is that Alonso will be returning to the grid. Sadly, he still believes he will be lining up for Minardi alongside Enrique Bernoldi. The McLaren car will not be dispersing him of that notion

The other big questions are: Will Bottas race? Will Manor finally get that no-CD crack of the Ferrari software off of BitTorrant? Which Youngest ever.... records will Verstappen break? Will anything of interest happen in the battle for the lead? Will it rain, necessitating lengthy red flags and tedious "Kimi ice cream lol" jokes?

Still, someone will be happy.

Jean Todt wrote:Malaysia is a fantastic place, I... like to have massages in one of the traditional spas
Last edited by GwilymJJames on 25 Mar 2015, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: 2015 Malaysian Grand Prix thread

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

GwilymJJames wrote:It's the Malaysian Grand Prix! And big news is that Alonso will be returning to the grid. Sadly, he still believes he will be lining up for Minardi alongside Enrique Bernoldi.

At least he's improving. By his home race he'll be thinking McLaren are favouring Hamilton. Looking at the performance of the Mercedes however I think his recovery will stall at that point :P
#FreeGonzo
tBone

Post by tBone »

Simtek wrote:
GwilymJJames wrote:It's the Malaysian Grand Prix! And big news is that Alonso will be returning to the grid. Sadly, he still believes he will be lining up for Minardi alongside Enrique Bernoldi.

At least he's improving. By his home race he'll be thinking McLaren are favouring Hamilton. Looking at the performance of the Mercedes however I think his recovery will stall at that point :P

So, when we get to Singapore, Fernando will be asking on the team radio whether his team mate crashed yet :D
YOUR
LOGO

Here
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Looking forward to see how Marciello can fare in FP1.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Oh joy, it's the annual grand prix that's scheduled on the same day as the clocks go forward in the UK. This is going to be harder to wake up correctly for than the 5am start for the Aussie GP.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Looks like both Bottas and Alonso have been medically cleared to race in Malaysia.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I'd like to see where Alonso pulls that shitbox. I still remember what he did in Suzuka 2001 in that Minardi.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I was almost going to say that Verstappen would race someone his dad raced with for the first time this year since Alonso is returning, but then I remembered Kimi and Jenson was in Melbourne. :oops:
-*:-
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I don't think a Manor will out-qualify a McLaren, but I do think it will be damn close......
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

Shizuka wrote:I'd like to see where Alonso pulls that shitbox. I still remember what he did in Suzuka 2001 in that Minardi.

I doubt that he'll be able to do that much - given the amount of time spent of full throttle thanks to those long straights and the issues Honda had with overheating components in the cooler climate of Melbourne, I really can't see him troubling the back of the midfield greatly.
The only chance he might have is if it starts raining, which would at least partially offset Honda's power deficit - however, given how torrential the rain usually is in Malaysia, not to mention that the FIA will now undoubtedly be more cautious in heavy rain following Bianchi's accident, means that qualifying or the race would be stopped in those circumstances, therefore negating the advantage he could take.

Wallio wrote:I don't think a Manor will out-qualify a McLaren, but I do think it will be damn close......

I agree that, in the circumstances, Manor probably will struggle to beat McLaren given their relative lack of preparation, but they'll probably be able to get reasonably close given that they can probably afford to push their engine harder.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
VirtuaMcPolygon

Post by VirtuaMcPolygon »

Oh I don't know. Manor have a very good real chance of embrassing McLaren. The issues they had were all software link issues with the engine. It's the same car as last and they have most of the staff from last that can probably prep the car blindfolded. They only stuck a lump of carbon on the nose and welded in a few support bars to pass the crash tests.

I see McLaren upping the wick a bit but it's still going to be way off the pace. Bar humbug etc ... ;)
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

I shall be watching the race with some unusual object on my head....
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

East Londoner wrote:Oh joy, it's the annual grand prix that's scheduled on the same day as the clocks go forward in the UK. This is going to be harder to wake up correctly for than the 5am start for the Aussie GP.

America here. That's how we watch nearly the whole season.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Gonna have to miss the race due to World Cup Final. Keenage.

Should be a good one though hopefully, well not the race but qualifying.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I mistook the Mercedes for a Force India. The grey-based mistakes begin....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
DVST8R

Post by DVST8R »

Typical Pom's, whinging that they have to get up early for 3 races a year.

Unfortunately I think we are going to see a lot of rain this weekend in Malaysia, which will mean lots of laps behind the safety car! Nothing worse than starting a race behind the safety car, then keeping it out there until the track has dried off enough for the cars to pit for dry tyres!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The Force India looks rubbish - about as good as the McLaren. I wonder how much of the car is actually new compared to 2014. We all know they've had money problems and trouble with suppliers, it makes me think that under that nice new livery the car might actually be largely unchanged. Either that or they've just totally messed up on their design, because with a Merc engine they should be way higher.

Great to see the Manor cars out doing their first laps though. Eight for each driver, and hopefully they build on that in FP2 and get a bit closer to the McLarens.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DVST8R wrote:Typical Pom's, whinging that they have to get up early for 3 races a year.

Not 3 but 5: Australia, Malaysia, China, Singapore and China. More than a quarter of the season... But not as many as for the Americans, that's true.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:
DVST8R wrote:Typical Pom's, whinging that they have to get up early for 3 races a year.

Not 3 but 5: Australia, Malaysia, China, Singapore and China. More than a quarter of the season... But not as many as for the Americans, that's true.

Those of us with young children are bloody up anyway.

Nice to see Manors on track, the car looks nice when its moving.
Just For One Day...
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Stevens has had his best time under 107%, but Merhi needs to improve 0.5s to get under 107% if we look at FP2 times.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Shizuka wrote:Stevens has had his best time under 107%, but Merhi needs to improve 0.5s to get under 107% if we look at FP2 times.

Ditto FP1 times.
MCard LOLA
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Nice to see the Manor cars finally running. And they look like making 107% as well, especially if Mercedes don't run the option tyres in Q1.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

dr-baker wrote:

Except Singapore is a night race so it's shown in Europe at a pretty ordinary time.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Pepsibottle1

Post by Pepsibottle1 »

Get your umbrellas ready
Bobby Doorknobs

Pepsibottle1 wrote:Get your umbrellas ready

But I'm inside! It's bad luck!
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Nuppiz wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Except Singapore is a night race so it's shown in Europe at a pretty ordinary time.

I find it easy to forget that. But against that, I still need to set my alarm for Bahrain and Sochi...
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dr-baker wrote:I find it easy to forget that. But against that, I still need to set my alarm for Bahrain and Sochi...

You have to set alarms for races that are in the afternoon in the UK?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I find it easy to forget that. But against that, I still need to set my alarm for Bahrain and Sochi...

If Sochi is anything like it was last year, the alarm would be to wake up again after the race...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

mario wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

If Sochi is anything like it was last year, the alarm would be to wake up again after the race...

Touché.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Really hoping that Manor can qualify. As seen in Australia with McLaren, when the top runners turn up the wick in quali you can be some way off the pace. Stevens looks OK but Merhi (who has had far more time in an F1 car I must add) needs to find something.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
gnrpoison

Post by gnrpoison »

watka wrote:Really hoping that Manor can qualify. As seen in Australia with McLaren, when the top runners turn up the wick in quali you can be some way off the pace. Stevens looks OK but Merhi (who has had far more time in an F1 car I must add) needs to find something.

Likewise I hope they do, Stevens has been within 107% in the two practices, so I imagine as long as he was very close (say 108%) I imagine he will be allowed to race. I think Merhi has a battle, but a bit more running in FP3 and maybe they can get closer. I wonder if it would be worth them using as many of their option tyres as possible in Qualifying in ensuring they get through. I wonder how they are for spare parts though? I imagine race strategy would be try to compete 50 laps (think that is roughly 90% race distance) and collecting race data. Anything else is probably a bonus, however well done to them for getting to this stage.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

And now Merhi has had a time under 107% by... 0.021s. Not bad.

Bobby Doorknobs

Stevens has a fuel pressure problem, but at least Merhi is on track. :)
#FreeGonzo
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Merhi 4 tenths outside 107% apparently; hopefully they'll let him race but I'm not confident given the noises that certain people have been making about Manor.
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Dat rain...

And so.. How much time before Kimi ragequits with all this bad luck?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Bobby Doorknobs

All these technical problems remind me of the 1984 Monaco Grand Prix when Murray and James kept losing picture and the viewers kept losing sound :P
#FreeGonzo
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I wonder why do Pirelli even built Wet Tyres.. They don't use them. It's now more than safe to drive, it's intermediate conditions. And we aren't getting Q3 yet.. God damn it stewards, GOD DAMN IT.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

I'm inclined to agree, I'd like to see them at least give it a go in these conditions. Problem is if they start it they'd have to finish it, and if it turns out to be carnage and then doesn't get any better they'll have nowhere to go. As in, if they red flagged it with 5 minutes to go they'd have to wait until it could be finished, whereas if it doesn't start they can leave it till tomorrow if conditions deteriorate.
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Bobby Doorknobs

SESSION WILL START AT 18:15

Well, it's about bloody time...
#FreeGonzo
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

0.074. 0.074.

God damn it. Oh so close Vettel was. Hopefully he grabs the lead into turn 1 tomorrow.