Get Ready for... The EricssonEra!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Bleu

Re: Get Ready for... The EricssonEra!

Post by Bleu »

Ericsson gave good showing for his future LMP1 career - well in pace with 3-time Le Mans 24h winner.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

-*:-
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

After reading that, I'm thinking that Ericsson might have a little bit more talent as a dermatologist than a Formula One driver...
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Each time Ericsson has finished a session in 22nd place, and his comments;

Bahrain

Marcus Ericsson, P1 - 1:42.711, 22nd; P2 - 1:39.136, 22nd

“FP1 was okay - we started with a rear wing change to look at some data from that, and then got stuck into the full programme that was used mainly to prepare for the race. Throughout the session we kept improving the driveability of the power unit, and balance-wise we started with too much oversteer in the high speed corner, and understeer in the lows, but we made a couple of changes to the ride height and a few other mechanical set-up changes, and by the end of the session we were heading in the right direction.

“For FP2 we made a few more changes to the set-up and the initial feeling was that there was more grip overall, especially in the high speed sections where the balance was okay, but I was having power issues throughout most of the first run which meant I wasn’t really able to push. The power was coming in and out in a way that wasn’t really predictable, so I didn’t know what was going to happen when I got on the throttle coming out of each corner - unfortunately I didn’t get one lap without that issue so the final lap times really weren’t a clear guide to where we are performance-wise, but we’ll look at that in detail tonight.

“We finished with a long run which started on the softs. The degradation levels were pretty good but with the same power issue I wasn’t really able to push. With about five minutes left of the session I was told to stop the car as we had a power unit problem. Renault will look at that and thankfully it happened at the end of the session. Overall the main thing is we’ve finally had a better Friday and that means we’re in a better position after FP1 and FP2 than we’ve been all season. We have a lot to do tonight, but I’m feeling better about the rest of the weekend than I did in Australia or last week in Malaysia, so now the aim is to build on the mileage we put in today and make some real progress tomorrow.”

China
Marcus Ericsson, P2 - 1:43.679, 22nd
Twenty two laps in FP1 was a solid start to the weekend and meant we got through most of the planned program. Traction was the main issue for me throughout most of the session - with the cold track temperatures and hard tyres we used in FP1 there was very low grip out there and that meant I had to be especially careful in the braking zones, not being able to attack them as I'd like, but as the weekend progresses and the track rubbers in more that'll obviously improve.

At the start of FP2 the car was oversteering too much, especially in the high speed corners, so we introduced a bit more understeer to help counteract that and it worked well on run two which we used to do some aero evaluation. Before going back onto the mediums for the last half hour, to do the long run, we tried the softs for the first time on the performance run but I didn't have a clear lap and my final quickest time was nowhere near what the car is capable of. We have a couple of new procedures here which didn't really work so we'll change them for tomorrow and I'm sure there's a considerable amount of time to come in both FP3 and qualifying."

Spain
Marcus Ericsson, P1 - 1:31.421, 22nd
“Like Kamui, for me the low grip levels in both FP1 and FP2 dominated both sessions. I couldn’t really push at all because for most of the day the car was switching from oversteer to understeer the whole way round the lap - to be honest it was a bit like driving on ice which is not what we want!

“For FP2 we made several changes but still had the same issue with grip. The traction levels were also very low and it was difficult applying the power, especially with the car moving around as much as it was. With all of this going on I didn’t have a chance to put in a clean quick lap on the mediums, so the final times today are pretty meaningless for us and I’m sure we’ll bounce back tomorrow. Even with the handling issues today we’ve still completed a good amount laps so we have a lot of data to work through and we’ll get back to where we want to be.”

Monaco
Marcus Ericsson (22nd, Q1 - 1:21.732)
"For most of FP3 I was struggling with traction and pretty low grip on both tyre compounds. We did three runs, one on the softs and then two on the supersofts with different fuel loads so we could look at how they'd perform in both quali and the race.

"I had the same traction problem in Q1, even though the track temps had gone up from FP3 - I didn't have enough grip to really push and with quite a few cars slowing down in the last sector I just couldn't put together a clean lap. On my final push lap I was behind Massa going into turn five and he moved offline a bit which meant I had to change my braking point. I locked up and went into the barrier with him which was my mistake. It's unfortunate it took him out too but it looks like the car is ok so now I want to put today behind me and concentrate on the race."

Austria
Marcus Ericsson, P1 - 1:17.501, 22nd; P2 - 1:13.596, 22nd
"FP1 obviously ended a lot earlier than we'd planned with an electrical system issue on lap nine. We found out the problem was related to the ERS-H control unit so that was fixed over lunch and we had the car ready again well before FP2. After limited laps in FP1 we had more work to do in FP2 than normal so we started with a 13 lap run on the softs. I had some issues with traction and oversteer but the balance was okay, especially in the high speed corners so we made a couple of changes before heading out for the first run on the supersofts. Overall it was an okay afternoon, definitely better than the morning. We have a lot to do tonight to sort out the oversteer and find more grip, but we've been pretty good at finding improvements from Friday to Saturday this year so the aim is to do so again here."

Marcus Ericsson (22nd, Q1 - 1:12.673)
"From the first lap in FP3 I was happier in the car. Traction had improved, the balance was better and it was just easier to drive. I wanted to keep working on the braking as there was time to be found from there so we had a look at that on a couple of the runs and I think we found a small improvement for quali and the race.

"However, in Q1 we did two runs on the supersofts but I couldn't put a clean lap together and finished up with a time I'm obviously disappointed with. From the timesheets it looks like all the Renault teams are struggling a bit on outright power and that, combined with a lot of traffic to deal with on this short circuit, meant I just couldn't string three clean sectors together on any of my flying laps - that means my final time is not really representative, but what's done is done. Now I'm focused on the race and determined to make up for today. We've been ok on heavy fuel here and I think we're due a bit of luck, so hopefully that will come tomorrow. Whether it does or not I'll continue doing the best job I can."

Great Britain
Marcus Ericsson, P2 - 1:39.762, 22nd
“FP1 went ok. We started with the usual installation lap and the first thing that was clear was just how low the grip levels were, even for an install. That continued on the baseline run where the front tyres were really struggling to come up to temperature - overall the car balance was ok, but for run two we worked more on generating higher initial tyre temps which meant we could start looking in more detail at setup options.

“My second run was a bit better but on the final lap I span around turns 12 / 13 and couldn’t get the car back out of the gravel. That cost us quite a bit of time but as soon as we had the car back it was turned around quickly and we were back out for a final couple of laps.

“In the afternoon we started with a car that felt like we’d maybe gone the wrong way on setup so we made a few changes at the end of the first run and it was definitely better for the second run. We then went onto the mediums and they were working pretty well – the grip levels were much better and the tyres came up to temperature more quickly, but then on the third run I had a mechanical issue which meant I lost power and had to pull over in the old pits. We’ll need to make a proper assessment of what happened and to go through all the data tonight and then aim to keep improving tomorrow ahead of quali and the race.”

Hungary
Marcus Ericsson, P2 - 1:29.036, 22nd
"At the start of FP1 the grip level was just so low - the car was sliding around everywhere and I couldn't push anywhere around the track. I know the Hungaroring is always pretty green at the start of the weekend, but it was worse than I'd expected. You can go chasing the track when it's like this, trying to find set-ups that work, but we have to let the track come to us as the grip level improves overall, so for the next run we continued with the plan and were improving, little by little as the session went on.

"The track temps had gone up a lot in FP2 and for me the car was behaving quite strangely on the first run. It was switching from understeer to oversteer through most of the corners and, honestly, it was quite hard not to make a mistake. On the options the balance improved quite a bit and as the track was rubbering in the grip levels finally started improving. It's good to see we've made progress here from setup, it gives us a chance to be much more competitive with Marussia than we've been for a while, so after we've been through all the data from today we want to continue to improve tomorrow, and again on Sunday."

Belgium
Marcus Ericsson, P1 - 1:57.977, 22nd
"It's good to be back racing - I've been training hard during the summer break and I feel in very good shape. We didn't have the best of starts, as this morning I had issues with the brakes and a few other technical problems, which is not what we needed. Nevertheless, we were able to complete quite a few laps and gather useful information for the weekend."

"FP2 was a better session for us. We solved the issues we had this morning with the brakes, so that was an improvement, even though we will need to solve a few other things overnight, but it's been a productive day. We've completed plenty of laps running on both compounds, so we have a lot of information that will be vital for the rest of the weekend."

Marcus Ericsson (22nd, Q1 - 2:14.438)

"I think we could've been quite competitive in the rain but unfortunately we were in the wrong place on track all the time so I didn't get a single clean lap. I'm disappointed because we could've done much better if we had put a lap together.

"It doesn't really matter what weather conditions we race in tomorrow, I think we're going to have a tough race anyway, but we need to make the most of the opportunities that come up during the race tomorrow. In the dry this morning we were out early on the option tyre, so that's why we were a bit off the pace, but the car felt a lot better today in the dry, so if there's a dry race tomorrow I think that there's potential to do well."

Italy
Marcus Ericsson, P2 - 1:29.275, 22nd
"This morning started with a pretty decent run in FP1 and we got quite a good baseline set-up straight away, but unfortunately during the second run with the second set of tyres we had an issue with the brakes, so we couldn't improve our lap times. It was a shame, as it would've been good to continue the work during the rest of the session instead of losing some essential track time. We were able to sort out the braking problem for FP2, so we were able to build-up the pace again straight away. It was a good session for us - we completed plenty of laps and got a good feel from both tyre compounds. We also did a long run on the option tyre, so it was a decent afternoon. We now have a lot of data to look at and we need to work hard tonight. I think we can build on this for the rest of the weekend."

Marcus Ericsson (22nd, Q1 - 1:28.562)
“This morning in FP3 we had a small problem with the engine before the performance run, so we didn’t get to do a proper run on the Option tyres and therefore we went into qualifying a bit blind, unfortunately. Everything worked fine in the afternoon, but we struggled to get the most out of the car. We need to look at the data tonight and see where we can improve compared to Kamui. I’m disappointed with the result but we will certainly fight back tomorrow!”
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Marcus Ericsson - Suzuka (19th, Q1 - 1:36.813)
"This morning's final practice session was another positive one, we definitely built on that strong performance we had yesterday so I felt really good going into qualifying. We decided to go for a bit of a different strategy compared to the others, so we only used two sets of tyres while others used three - it was a bit of a gamble but I felt very comfortable in the car and I was confident it could work out, and it did. I'd say I did two decent laps and the car was working very well, so I'm happy with the result, it was a good effort from me and the team. Of course, you always want to be a bit closer to the guys ahead, but I think we've closed that gap a bit more again this weekend, so it's definitely positive progress. Now we just have to wait and see what the weather does tomorrow, but I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's race!"
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I've got to say I was genuinely impressed by Marcus' performance in qualifying and now with Vergne and Maldonado's penalties he will start from the dizzying heights of 17th place! Who knows what he could achieve next!
#FreeGonzo
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

The First Time - with Caterham's Marcus Ericsson
http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 16512.html
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

The Era....

.... Shall Continue
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Bobby Doorknobs

Now the big question is: Will Talent join him in the midfield next year?
#FreeGonzo
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Now that's something to wait for :D
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Simtek wrote:Now the big question is: Will Talent join him at the front of the field next year?

Fixed.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:
Simtek wrote:Now the big question is: Will Talent join him at the front of the field next year?

Fixed.

The front probably is the midfield next year.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Autosport reports http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116581 Sauber have signed him for next year. My guess is they must have liked how he fared against Kobayashi who they know well. Or Sauber have read Enoch's article on them from this season, and this is their next "Diniz move".
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Well, Ericsson have sponsors, right?
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Bobby Doorknobs

Marcus second today, beating the all-conquering Mercedes by almost FOUR tenths! With Talent gone for this year it looks like Marcus is going to be a clear favourite for the title.

By the way, why doesn't Jocke1 come here anymore?
#FreeGonzo
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Simtek wrote:Marcus second today, beating the all-conquering Mercedes by almost FOUR tenths! With Talent gone for this year it looks like Marcus is going to be a clear favourite for the title.

By the way, why doesn't Jocke1 come here anymore?

Marcus Ericsson 2015 Formula 1 World champion. You heard it here first.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Simtek wrote:By the way, why doesn't Jocke1 come here anymore?

He would probably come here and say something, but he's as astonished as we are, if not more :D
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Marcus Ericsson: 4 points. Fernando Alonso: 0 points.

That is all.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Already at this point in the season, if you multiplied Alonso's score by a billion it still wouldn't match Ericsson's points total this year...
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Bobby Doorknobs

Very unfortunate result for Marcus today, a podium or even a win could really have been on the cards with better luck. That move on Hulkenberg reminded me very much of a similar move that the great Gilles Villeneuve attempted on Keke Rosberg at Long Beach in 1982, with similar results. Of course, Villeneuve recovered to finish third, so who knows what Marcus could have achieved had there not been a gravel trap there?
#FreeGonzo
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Simtek wrote:Very unfortunate result for Marcus today, a podium or even a win could really have been on the cards with better luck.

I'm glad someone else believes a podium is a real possibility for the boy, although even I think it'll take something catastrophic for a win.
Just For One Day...
Pepsibottle1

Post by Pepsibottle1 »

CoopsII wrote:
Simtek wrote:Very unfortunate result for Marcus today, a podium or even a win could really have been on the cards with better luck.

I'm glad someone else believes a podium is a real possibility for the boy, although even I think it'll take something catastrophic for a win.

Hell would freeze over and he'd still finish outside of the podium. Or for that matter, he'd probably take a lazy spin into the gravel.
Bobby Doorknobs

Pepsibottle1 wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Hell would freeze over and he'd still finish outside of the podium. Or for that matter, he'd probably take a lazy spin into the gravel.

Have faith! Grosjean made quite a few mistakes early in his career before becoming a regular podium contender in 2013. Marcus clearly has great potential!
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118357
"When I look back at the weekend, I'm going to be pretty pleased because I have shown really strong pace,"

"I've been top 10 in every session and in general felt really strong. I've felt competitive in the car as well, so it's a bit of a breakthrough for me.

"But you go away with a frustrating feeling because I'm sure that we could have been fighting for seventh and eighth with the Toro Rossos. We had the pace to do that.

"But after a couple of days, I'll be stronger as I've shown a bit of potential."
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

Another flash of Marcus' true talent as he was fastest in Q1 for a few seconds by a tenth over the mighty Mercedes of Hamilton.
#FreeGonzo
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ericsson driving Petersons March 711 at Mugello

Gawd, that car is so demented it could only have been conceived in the 70s.
Just For One Day...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

CoopsII wrote:Ericsson driving Petersons March 711 at Mugello

Gawd, that car is so demented it could only have been conceived in the 70s.

^ Cool.

Marcus Ericsson is equal on points with Jenson Button,
a WDC with 15 grand prix wins, 50 podiums, 1,200+ points and 700+ laps
in the lead under his belt.

: )
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120221
Marcus thinks he's important, nyawwww. :oops:

But yes I think he should wait until he's scored more points than just the Manor drivers before he starts making statements about being relevant to anything.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Bobby Doorknobs

Rob Dylan wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120221

But yes I think he should wait until he's scored more points than just the Manor drivers before he starts making statements about being relevant to anything.

Well Marcus does have the same number of points as former World Champion Jenson Button. If that's not talent I don't know what is! :D
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:

Well Marcus does have the same number of points as former World Champion Jenson Button. If that's not talent I don't know what is! :D

And he's scored more points in the first half of this year than the highly talented Max Chilton has scored in his entire F1 career. If THAT's not talent, I don't know what is...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Guess who is the "worst driver" of the first-half according with f1fanatic?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Dj_bereta wrote:Guess who is the "worst driver" of the first-half according with f1fanatic?

Nah, Collantine's lost all his credibility as a journalist with this ridiculous article he published last month attacking other motorsport series because they have rules to spice up the racing action. What an ass. He can write whatever he wants now, no-one's gonna take him seriously. Well, I'm not anyway. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Bobby Doorknobs

East Londoner wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:Guess who is the "worst driver" of the first-half according with f1fanatic?

He can write whatever he wants now, no-one's gonna take him seriously.

His "Fanatics" on the other hand, will continue to look up to him as he appears to share their point of view on Maldonado being, in the words of one commenter, "the worst F1 driver ever". :facepalm:
#FreeGonzo
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Anyone who dares link to F1 Fanatic on this website will cop a permanent ban. :P

But seriously, the level of circlejerking over "OMG Maldonado is the worst driver in the history of ever" is beyond tired. There's having an opinion, and there's being blatantly wrong. One clear example mentioned just above would be Collatine blaming Pastor for the intra-team contact at Catalunya and asserting it had any sort of influence on the race result - I can only assume he was sleeping during the lap in question, and simply jumped to a conclusion when he heard the two had become entangled during the race. It was a 50/50 incident at best, the damage to Maldonado's rear wing that forced his retirement was a structural integrity failure of the endplate under load from the DRS system slamming shut on entry to Turn 1, and Grosjean mucked up his own race by plowing into his jackman at a pitstop.

Anyway, that rant was way off-topic. Ericsson has been poor, let's not beat around the bush there. He's a true reject, the Ricardo Rosset of this generation. The one time he actually looks like being a contender, he spins off 3 laps in. There are pay-drivers, and there are pay-drivers. In this era of ultra-professionalism, the latter doesn't come along often, and yet here we have one. It's something for us to celebrate, I guess.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Is anyone else being sent to an analysis of the 2011 Australian Grand Prix with that link?
Bobby Doorknobs

Rob Dylan wrote:Is anyone else being sent to an analysis of the 2011 Australian Grand Prix with that link?

Now that I've gone to the trouble of clicking it I have :|
#FreeGonzo
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

So, I'm not alone in thinking f1fanatic is a bad website. I really hate the maldonado hate here. I'm only here for the prize predictions.

I disagree with Ericsson being the worst driver of the season, but he is close of this. Although he improved in the last races.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Dj_bereta wrote:So, I'm not alone in thinking f1fanatic is a bad website. I really hate the maldonado hate here. I'm only here for the prize predictions.

I disagree with Ericsson being the worst driver of the season, but he is close of this. Although he improved in the last races.

F1Fanatic definitely has its haters on this forum (putting my hand up as a former F1Fanatic member and current hater), though there is a bit of a Maldonado fan club around the place here ta the same time. This is definitely a lot more varied in support and opinion than other forums I've been on.

I'll be expecting some kind of payment for that PR work there, guys ;)
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:
Simtek wrote:

And he's scored more points in the first half of this year than the highly talented Max Chilton has scored in his entire F1 career. If THAT's not talent, I don't know what is...

And now Marcus is ahead of Button, and now just 2 points off the highly rated Carlos Sainz and 4 off former double world champion Fernando Alonso!
#FreeGonzo