2015 Australian GP Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
UncreativeUsername37

Re: 2015 Australian GP Discussion Thread

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

good_Ralf wrote:Also there are new TV graphics by FOM and they're pretty ordinary sadly, worse than the DIN graphics of recent years. I was hoping for something different for a change, but not something with a dull font and ugly looking.

I think they look good. Not meaning relative to the old, just good. I particularly like how they're not slanted since that's not my thing. DIN 1451 was a really good fit for F1, though.

So overall, whatever.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

good_Ralf wrote:Also there are new TV graphics by FOM and they're pretty ordinary sadly, worse than the DIN graphics of recent years. I was hoping for something different for a change, but not something with a dull font and ugly looking.

Wholeheartedly disagree with this. The TV graphics are supposed to convey graphics simply and clearly. The new designs do this, much better than the old. A good step forward. DIN was a reasonable choice of font, but some of the other things (the 45 degree slants? unnecessary) needed to be dropped. The new website is a million times better than the old one as well.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

good_Ralf wrote:
Also there are new TV graphics by FOM and they're pretty ordinary sadly, worse than the DIN graphics of recent years. I was hoping for something different for a change, but not something with a dull font and ugly looking.

Agreed bring back the black numbers on the yellow backgrounds.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

good_Ralf wrote:
Simtek wrote:
Waris wrote:Somebody should make a movie out of this affair. It'd be more rejectworthy, and probably more exciting, than Senna and Rush put together.

I promise you that when I become a film director I will grant your wish.

Could you also direct a Gilles Villeneuve biopic, with me being the screenwriter? :D :P

Also there are new TV graphics by FOM and they're pretty ordinary sadly, worse than the DIN graphics of recent years. I was hoping for something different for a change, but not something with a dull font and ugly looking.

Thinking about Magnussen's off, either he really has lost his composure and ability to push to the limit without crashing or that McLaren is a real handful to drive like the Lotus E22.

I'm sure we can come to some arrangement there. :P

As for the graphics, they are quite basic, which is not entirely bad, but I'm not a fan. Then again, I'm pretty stubborn when it comes to changes like this, but like the new forum, I'll get used to it, although I would really like the 1994-2003 graphics back. :P
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

good_Ralf wrote:Thinking about Magnussen's off, either he really has lost his composure and ability to push to the limit without crashing or that McLaren is a real handful to drive like the Lotus E22.

At the moment, I would be inclined to suggest that it is at least in part due to the car being difficult to drive, although a lack of training over the winter break certainly won't have helped him prepare for the challenges of the new season.

It's worth bearing in mind that the corner where Magnussen crashed would have come after a fairly heavy braking zone, and we know that Honda have had some difficulties in managing the overlap between the energy recovery systems kicking in and the ICE (as all of the other manufacturers did too). McNish did also comment that it looked as if Magnussen might have locked the rear axle - so perhaps Magnussen was caught out by the electronic braking system not operating quite as he expected and destabilising the rear of the car, causing him to spin into the barriers.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Scrap Thistlethwayte
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Scrap Thistlethwayte »

Lets face facts Ron. You've started development of the MP4-31 this weekend.

Will Jenson and Fernando hang about as a succession of much heralded upgrade packages become failed upgrade packages and consigned to the titanium and carbon fiber wheeley bin of 2015. We can't know how Fernando's health will play out, well I'm sure we all agree. And who really knows what is in Jenson's contract?

While Eric Boullier's reputation might not be entirely on the line Ron probably feels as if he's spent enough time in the wilderness. Actually while we are casting around for villains Ron might not be so infallible.

Two things spring to mind in all this uncertainty. First would be that that Kevin Magnussen can't really loose this season unless he makes a habit of binning the car in practice. Second thing is that the last time Honda were seen in town Jenson was driving and Ross Brawn was in charge.

Yes I am I being horribly judgmental and negative. Just saying. McLaren have one hand on the ROTY trophy if Monisha Kaltenborn can stay out of jail.
Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines. - Enzo Ferrari
UncreativeUsername37

Scrap Thistlethwayte wrote:Lets face facts Ron. You've started development of the MP4-31 this weekend.

Will Jenson and Fernando hang about as a succession of much heralded upgrade packages become failed upgrade packages and consigned to the titanium and carbon fiber wheeley bin of 2015. We can't know how Fernando's health will play out, well I'm sure we all agree. And who really knows what is in Jenson's contract?

While Eric Boullier's reputation might not be entirely on the line Ron probably feels as if he's spent enough time in the wilderness. Actually while we are casting around for villains Ron might not be so infallible.

Two things spring to mind in all this uncertainty. First would be that that Kevin Magnussen can't really loose this season unless he makes a habit of binning the car in practice. Second thing is that the last time Honda were seen in town Jenson was driving and Ross Brawn was in charge.

Yes I am I being horribly judgmental and negative. Just saying. McLaren have one hand on the ROTY trophy if Monisha Kaltenborn can stay out of jail.

Let's wait more than zero races.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Scrap Thistlethwayte
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Scrap Thistlethwayte »

Ok. But you were warned Ron Dennis. You were warned!
Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines. - Enzo Ferrari
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

I don't think there is any articles up about this yet, but van der Garde has confirmed that he won't be racing this weekend.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

More breaking news (I think). Christian Horner confirmed that Ricciardo has already used one of his four engines for the year. It lasted 50kms...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

TimmyB wrote:More breaking news (I think). Christian Horner confirmed that Ricciardo has already used one of his four engines for the year. It lasted 50kms...

Well the plus side of this is that we are more likely to get to see him have to drive through the field from the back of the grid at some point this season, exhibiting his great overtaking skills!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

That saves Honda from engine reject of the year
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
UncreativeUsername37

sswishbone wrote:That saves Honda from engine reject of the year

Unless something happens in the following twenty races.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

It's 5:35 am, I'm up and running, I have RTL, ich habe kein Kommentär auf Englisch (oder Metallenglisch...) und no sooner have I switched on the TV than they show me some horrific rally crash with the car rolling off a cliff and into a lake.

...that wasn't Robert Kubica again, was it?

EDIT: Freies Training has finished, there's now a WRC report programme, and it says the unfortunate driver was Ott Tänak.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

One qualifying session into the new season, and Reject Of The Year already has an odds-on candidate.

I find myself wondering what Ronspeak swear words sound like. I doubt the air will be any less blue at Fernando Alonso's house.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
UncreativeUsername37

dinizintheoven wrote:One qualifying session into the new season, and Reject Of The Year already has an odds-on candidate.

I find myself wondering what Ronspeak swear words sound like. I doubt the air will be any less blue at Fernando Alonso's house.

McLaren ROTQ, no one comes close. And if the race goes similarly, which there's no reason to think it won't, that's ROTR easy. And then ROTInitialFlyaways unless Sauber stop them.
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

Surely the team that should get ROTQ is the team that DNQ'd...
mario

Post by mario »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:One qualifying session into the new season, and Reject Of The Year already has an odds-on candidate.

McLaren ROTQ, no one comes close. And if the race goes similarly, which there's no reason to think it won't, that's ROTR easy. And then ROTInitialFlyaways unless Sauber stop them.

Sauber have been making a fairly concerted effort to take the prize though, and Ericsson nearly managed to get caught out by Button in Q1 (Button almost managed to beat him in that session). The only consolation for McLaren is that they can at least rack up engine mileage, and Honda will need all the data it can get.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

TimmyB wrote:Surely the team that should get ROTQ is the team that DNQ'd...

Given that for the majority of the off-season we had no indication that Manor would even turn up in Melbourne, I think they can be given a break there. Especially considering McLaren couldn't even beat Button's Q1 time from last year.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:
shinji wrote:With regards to Alonso, I'm glad they're taking every care with his injury. Given the atrocious approach to concussion in my other sporting love, rugby, it's good to see a sport not taking any unnecessary risks. Already one driver too many with a brain injury, no point risking a second concussion to Alonso which is when you get trouble.

Also, a one-race replacement job for McLaren is a pleasing first step for Magnussen now to follow an exact progression of his dad's career, last year not withstanding. So that's pleasing in a reject context.

To fully fulfill that, he'll have to do the odd race in IndyCar as well.

Funny that you mention that, he's been rumored to drive in a few odd races for Andretti this year...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Salamander wrote:
TimmyB wrote:Surely the team that should get ROTQ is the team that DNQ'd...

Given that for the majority of the off-season we had no indication that Manor would even turn up in Melbourne, I think they can be given a break there. Especially considering McLaren couldn't even beat Button's Q1 time from last year.

And technically they didn't DNQ because they never attempted to qualify. If it were on Wikipedia, I'd be tempted to put DNP for Did Not Participate. :P
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Absolutely gutted for Manor. And with the news that Bottas might not be able to race tomorrow as well, my excitement and care level for this race has gone down massively. :(
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Why didn't manor take part anyway?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AdrianSutil wrote:Why didn't manor take part anyway?

Since all of their computers were due to be sold via auction, all of the programs had to be wiped from them. It's been a race against time to get everything installed and calibrated in order to read track data, set up engine maps and everything else to get the cars running. Unfortunately, they ran out of time on that front.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
mario

Post by mario »

To add to things, it has been announced that Bottas has undergone precautionary medical checks at a local hospital after reporting severe back pains during qualifying - a situation that probably wasn't helped by his wild Q3 lap. Hopefully it is the case that he will be fit to race, but it must be an unwelcome distraction at this time. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/03/14/b ... -for-race/
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

If Bottas can't be deemed fit enough to participate, and with Manor not able to run, I'm honestly not really looking forward to this race. I'll still watch, of course (someone has to nominate an ROTR!), but the race will need to be a really exciting one to lift my spirits. It feels like the sport has just moved off from the top of a depressing downward spiral.

Image Image
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Manor's performance today gives the term "start-and-park entry" a whole new dimension, it's sad. I had been hoping the "back row boys" would be starting the race tomorrow. Good luck for round #2! Here's hoping they can start there.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Well Manor will run tomorrow won't they? Even if it is for a few laps.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AdrianSutil wrote:Well Manor will run tomorrow won't they? Even if it is for a few laps.

Well, they can't, because they didn't qualify. They'll probably run at Malaysia, depending on whether they've got everything prepped in time. Remember that they've had about three weeks to cram in all of their pre-season preparations, so patience is key.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

It seems that Honda had to detune the engine to be sure the thing wouldn't blow up: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118058
#FreeGonzo
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Simtek wrote:It seems that Honda had to detune the engine to be sure the thing wouldn't blow up: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118058

I still think that it will still be a case of when, not if the McLaren's suffer engine related issues.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

No Manor, no party, that's my opinion
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I've come to the conclusion that during that test Alonso decided that concussion was preferable to driving the car and simply chose the nearest wall.
Just For One Day...
UncreativeUsername37

CoopsII wrote:I've come to the conclusion that during that test Alonso decided that concussion was preferable to driving the car and simply chose the nearest wall.

http://sniffpetrol.com/2015/02/24/alons ... -bad-news/
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
CoopsII wrote:I've come to the conclusion that during that test Alonso decided that concussion was preferable to driving the car and simply chose the nearest wall.

http://sniffpetrol.com/2015/02/24/alons ... -bad-news/

:D
Disgraceful performance by McLaren, how can the team and the mighty Honda get it so wrong? Loads of room on that car for some MasterCard logos.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Spectoremg wrote:Disgraceful performance by McLaren, how can the team and the mighty Honda get it so wrong? Loads of room on that car for some MasterCard logos.

I wonder if Honda is suffering due to there placement of the turbo and compressor. FI.com has the three styles up Renault and Ferrari have gone "traditional", Merc went fairly radical (with great success) and Honda tried that, with a wilder still layout. I wonder if it bit them?
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Wallio wrote:I wonder if Honda is suffering due to there placement of the turbo and compressor. FI.com has the three styles up Renault and Ferrari have gone "traditional", Merc went fairly radical (with great success) and Honda tried that, with a wilder still layout. I wonder if it bit them?

I'd love to be able to answer that, but I've got no idea. The alleged ethos of the Honda is to run effectively at warmer temperatures in order to reduce the amount of cooling, hence the shrink-wrapped rear end; they must have done a number of tests using CFD and thermodynamics software in order to suggest the layout would work. However, it perhaps seems that McLaren have underestimated how much cooling is needed. Furthermore, the Honda boss Yasuhisa Arai has suggested that it's the MGU-K that's been predominantly turned down for Australia (and presumably Malaysia too).

We'll find out in due course what the problem is. Eric Boullier seems to think that the issues have been identified and that a fix is being worked on.

You must remember that the likes of Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault have had since 2010 - when the rules were announced - to work on their V6t units. Honda have had about half of that time; to get to where they have with a highly-complex rulebook is fantastic. It's absolutely no wonder they're having such issues, and running (albeit with the engines turned down) is absolutely going to help them work on the engine. It's still very much a work in progress, and if they can unlock its full potential they'll be primed for some fights at the front. If you offered McLaren to take the hit early for future big results, of course they'd say yes.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Image Image
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

BBC have reported a rumour that Sauber's ownership is at stake and Colin Kolles is in the background... Is this the most rejectful season start in the last two decades?
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
UncreativeUsername37

sswishbone wrote:BBC have reported a rumour that Sauber's ownership is at stake and Colin Kolles is in the background... Is this the most rejectful season start in the last two decades?

No. MC Lola can never be beaten.